PDA

View Full Version : Parcells: I'm not looking for pretty boys and dope-smoking guys

DaKCMan AP
01-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Parcells: I'm not looking for pretty boys and dope-smoking guys

By Craig Barnes

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

January 1, 2008

DAVIE

The Dolphins' Bill Parcells took time from his firings and hirings Monday to visit Virginia Tech's practice at Nova Southeastern and tell the Hokies what kind of players he wants.

"I'm not looking for pretty boys, dope-smoking guys and guys that aren't dependable," Parcells told the team. "You know those type of guys. I'm looking for reliable, good character people who will come to work every day."

Parcells, who has followed Virginia Tech's program for years, talked with coach Frank Beamer and spoke briefly with Cody Grimm, son of Russ Grimm, and Brett Warren, son of Don Warren. The two fathers are former NFL players with Washington. He watched practice for about an hour with Dwayne Joseph and Ron Labadie of the Dolphins' personnel staff.

Virginia Tech could have as many as a dozen players drafted, depending on the status of several juniors.

"He has been there," Beamer said. "He told them what he is looking for as he begins rebuilding the program [with the Dolphins]. It was a good message for our guys."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspvatechnotes01sbjan01,0,7832491.story

Deberg_1990
01-03-2008, 06:59 AM
I wonder if he will be looking for any Orientals?? No disrespect. LOL

Sfeihc
01-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Only if they have any fresh ideas for "jap plays".

FAX
01-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Only if they have any fresh ideas for "jap plays".

ROFL

FAX

ChiTown
01-03-2008, 07:52 AM
He's also ruled out the development of any red-headed Mexicans for his team. This Parcell's fella is one shrewd cookie............

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 09:04 AM
No dope smokers*.

*Unless you have the ability of Lawrence Taylor, then feel free to freebase in the locker room at halftime.

Brock
01-03-2008, 09:06 AM
No dope smokers*.

*Unless you have the ability of Lawrence Taylor, then feel free to freebase in the locker room at halftime.

LOL, yep

Discuss Thrower
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
So, if he's writing off these two types of guys, how does he explain Quincy Carter and Tony Romo?

I mean, it's not like he just supplicated it by saying he was going to be stingy with those anointing oils.

DaKCMan AP
01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
So is Cam Cameron a pretty boy or does he smoke dope?

dtebbe
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
So, if he's writing off these two types of guys, how does he explain Quincy Carter and Tony Romo?

I mean, it's not like he just supplicated it by saying he was going to be stingy with those anointing oils.

He sent Quincy Carter packing, and Romo may be a pretty boy, but he can play. You don't improve as much as he has without working your ass off either.

DT

hawkchief
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I guess Ricky Williams aint walking throug that door anytime soon.

Stryker
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I guess Ricky Williams aint walking throug that door anytime soon.

I beg to differ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3179409 (http://)

Dolphins reportedly will bring back Williams for '08
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 3, 2008, 2:19 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Ricky Williams' perpetual comeback apparently will include the 2008 NFL season.

Williams

The Miami Herald reported Thursday that the agent for the Dolphins running back received a letter dated Dec. 31 and signed by Bill Parcells stating his contract would be renewed for next season.

Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, told the Herald via e-mail that he will allow Parcells, who was hired Dec. 27 as the Dolphins' executive vice president of football operations, time to get acclimated before contacting him.

Williams returned to the Dolphins Nov. 19 following the lifting of a lengthy suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy due to multiple failed drug tests. He has played in only 12 games since retiring before the 2004 season, then returning.

His 2007 comeback, however, lasted six carries. Williams suffered a torn pectoral muscle against the Steelers on Nov. 26, ending his season.

According to the Herald, Steinberg wrote in an e-mail to the paper that Williams' injury rehabilitation is going well.

Williams is scheduled to make $730,000 next season. In 2005, his last regular appearance in the league, Williams averaged 4.4 yards per carry and finished with 743 yards for Miami. He led the league with 1,853 yards in 2002, his first season with the Dolphins, and has clearly been an offensive spark before.

The Dolphins have had a whirlwind of hirings and firings in the last seven days. After Parcells was hired by Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Parcells fired general manager Randy Mueller and hired Jeff Ireland from the Cowboys as his replacement. Early Thursday, first-year coach Cam Cameron was fired just days after Miami finished 1-15.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

B_Ambuehl
01-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Parcells is over-rated in today's NFL. He was a liability for the cowboys. Look at the improvement of the offense after he left.....Look at his drafts...he spent a first rounder on Bobby Carpenter and he isn't even a 3rd stringer. Wade Phillips 3-4 D is significantly outplaying Parcells 3-4 with the exact same players.

bowener
01-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Im a pretty boy and i smoke 'dope'.... do two negatives make a positive?

CoMoChief
01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Parcells is over-rated in today's NFL. He was a liability for the cowboys. Look at the improvement of the offense after he left.....Look at his drafts...he spent a first rounder on Bobby Carpenter and he isn't even a 3rd stringer. Wade Phillips 3-4 D is significantly outplaying Parcells 3-4 with the exact same players.
He has left more than one team in great shape after leaving.