PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER- Herm gets rid of old offensive playbook

C-Mac
01-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Herm gets rid of old offensive playbook (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/428237.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would take their offense in a different direction next season. Its exact course won’t be determined until Solari’s replacement is hired.

Edwards wouldn’t confirm or deny any names on his wish list, but sources indicated he planned to speak with Texas-El Paso offensive coordinator Eric Price. The son of UTEP head coach Mike Price, the 41-year-old Eric Price once coached as an offensive assistant for Edwards with the New York Jets.

Running mostly a spread offense, UTEP averaged more than 30 points in three of Price’s four seasons as coordinator. The Miners averaged 35.8 points in 2004 (11th in the country) and 33.6 (26th) last season.

Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula also could become a candidate. Shula was the coordinator for Tampa Bay in the late ’90s while Edwards was the Bucs’ secondary coach. Shula later was the head coach at Alabama when Brodie Croyle quarterbacked the Crimson Tide.

Edwards said the new coordinator would have experience whether it’s in the NFL or college. Solari was a career offensive-line coach and was new to game-planning and play-calling.

“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said. “That’s important. He has to have the ability to adjust as the game’s being played and take advantage of people’s weaknesses.

“You want a guy who understands that the system has to be player-friendly and has to be easy for the players to learn. Players come first. It’s not about plays. It’s about players.”

Edwards fired three other offensive assistants this week: John Matsko (line), Charlie Joiner (wide receivers) and James Saxon (running backs). Solari, Joiner and Saxon all coached under former head coach Dick Vermeil.

“When you hire a new offensive coordinator, you have to give him the ability to hire guys that he wants to hire,” Edwards said. “That’s not fair to him to give him too many of the position coaches.”

It’s no coincidence that the two offensive coaches Edwards retained, Jon Embree (tight ends) and Dick Curl (quarterbacks) joined the Chiefs two years ago after Edwards arrived.

“The guys I let go of are good football coaches,” Edwards said. “It’s been intact for seven years. It’s time to do something different.”

The system helped take the Chiefs to unprecedented heights under Vermeil. The Chiefs were annually among the highest scoring teams in the NFL.

The offense slowed in 2006, its first season with Edwards as the head coach and Solari as the coordinator. In 2007, it barely crawled. The Chiefs scored fewer points and ran for fewer yards per game than ever.

Edwards indicated the new system might incorporate some features of the West Coast offense, but it would have many different wrinkles. That would seem to rule out the return of former Chiefs offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

“I don’t want to call it the West Coast because when you call it that, people say, ‘Oh, that’s a bunch of little, short passes.’ ” Edwards said. “That’s not what we’re going to do. We’re not going to be throwing it in the flat all day. Call it the Chiefs offense, whatever that is.”

Edwards laid out in broad terms his vision for the new system.

“You have to be balanced,” he said. “You have to be creative to keep the defense on their heels. You never want them to get comfortable with what you’re doing. You have to have different ways to run the ball, and you have to have different ways to stretch the field in the passing game. You have to be able to make chunks and get big plays in the passing game. It’s too hard to travel 70 yards on a football field all with short gains.

“Looking at it from the defensive side, you hate those types of offenses, the ones that can pound you running or also hit you for 50 yards. You don’t like playing against that. That’s tough stuff.

“I want the ability to play fast-break offense. Some weeks, that’s going to be the best way for us to win. You have to be able to take advantage of people’s weaknesses. If you’re playing a team that isn’t very good when they get into their nickel defense, you might have to throw the ball 40 times if that’s the best way for us to win the game. But you have to have an offense that has the ability to do that.”

The Chiefs had that type of ability under Vermeil with the same offensive system, but Edwards indicated the schemes were part of the problem in 2007.

“The system didn’t allow you to get the ball to certain guys enough when you needed to,” he said. “I’m not knocking this system because it accomplished a lot of good things here but it was built on volume. We ran so many plays. It can make some positive plays and some negative plays. We had more negative plays than anybody in football, 125 negative plays. Over the years, it’s always been that way. There are a lot of negative plays, and I don’t want negative plays. Negative plays kill you.”

Edwards said the new system would be designed to play to the strengths of the returning skill players, including Croyle, running back Larry Johnson, tight end Tony Gonzalez and particularly wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, who led rookie wide receivers in receptions (70) and yards (995).

Bowe runs as well, if not better, with the ball than any Chiefs receiver in recent memory.

“He’s big and physical and can break tackles,” Edwards said. “When he’s in the (secondary), he’s hard to tackle. That’s why you like big, physical receivers. There’s more margin for error with those kinds of guys.

“I’m not hung up on any one thing. One thing I do know: We have to be tough, physically tough, up front on your offensive and defensive lines. Offensively, that means when it’s third and 1 or third and 2, you don’t have to throw the ball. You don’t have to trick people when you run the ball. You can say, ‘I’m running right here, buddy, and you aren’t stopping me.’ To me, that’s football. Nothing fancy there. I’m not saying you do that every play. But there are times you have to do that.”

Otter
01-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Edwards strikes me as a complete moron every time he opens his mouth.

ChiTown
01-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Edwards strikes me as a complete moron every time he opens his mouth.

As a complete "moran", I take offense to your comment..........

HonestChieffan
01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
At least he didnt say "At the end of the day" or "a runner who runs behind his pads"

C-Mac
01-03-2008, 08:21 AM
As a complete "moran", I take offense to your comment..........
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/U/moran.jpg

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 08:23 AM
“You have to be balanced,” he said. “You have to be creative to keep the defense on their heels. You never want them to get comfortable with what you’re doing. You have to have different ways to run the ball, and you have to have different ways to stretch the field in the passing game. You have to be able to make chunks and get big plays in the passing game. It’s too hard to travel 70 yards on a football field all with short gains."

In other words, Herm now wants the circus offense that he and team management have been bashing the last two years.

01-03-2008, 08:29 AM
It's a smoke screen to deflect criticism this off season, I've seen this before. Jesus, it's like dejavu. he used to swear he'd open up Hackett's huge playbook with the Jets every off season. and then it was run run pass punt on opening day.

Kylo Ren
01-03-2008, 08:29 AM
So he wants to return to the Vermiel / Saunders offense, but wants to call it something else so the entire football world doesn't think he's a moron.

I'm all for it. But, I'm still calling him a moron. And he destroyed the best offense in Chiefs history just to prove a point and his point failed. What a jackass!

morphius
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
It's a smoke screen to deflect criticism this off season, I've seen this before. Jesus, it's like dejavu. he used to swear he'd open up Hackett's huge playbook with the Jets every off season. and then it was run run pass punt on opening day.
That was Hackett's playbook all opened up.

01-03-2008, 08:31 AM
That was Hackett's playbook all opened up.
LMAO

Touche Morph!

philfree
01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
I was O.K. with Herm being fired but since he's not I'm gonna give him another year. I usually believe in giving an HC three years so I'm fine with him since he's making some changes. I like what he said here.

PhilFree:arrow:

Pushead2
01-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I was O.K. with Herm being fired but since he's not I'm gonna give him another year. I usually believe in giving an HC three years so I'm fine with him since he's making some changes. I like what he said here.

PhilFree:arrow:

**** You Herm.....I really hate this guy, i delt with him in NY and now with my own team.....jesus.....just go coach Arkansas Pine Bluff already and use "the plan" with them

DaKCMan AP
01-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Green... gone
Priest... gone
Roaf... gone
Shields... gone
TRich... gone
Wiegmann... will be gone
Kennison... maybe gone?

Time for a new playbook centered around the strengths of the players that are still and will be here. Just hire a competent author.

TEX
01-03-2008, 08:49 AM
The second he was hired I saw this one coming. It makes sense now because all the players and coaches that ran it are gone - :shake:

Rausch
01-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Time for a new playbook centered around the strengths of the players that are still and will be here. Just hire a competent author.

That's why the Shula rumors don't bother me. His Old college coach develops an offense tailored to Brodie's strengths.

TEX
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
**** You Herm.....I really hate this guy, i delt with him in NY and now with my own team.....jesus.....just go coach Arkansas Pine Bluff already and use "the plan" with them

Funy how this thing is turning out like it did in New York - without the playoff victories... :hmmm:

thehead
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
What a waste this coming NFL season will be this TURD needs to be flushed end of story :mad:

TEX
01-03-2008, 08:53 AM
So he wants to return to the Vermiel / Saunders offense, but wants to call it something else so the entire football world doesn't think he's a moron.

I'm all for it. But, I'm still calling him a moron. And he destroyed the best offense in Chiefs history just to prove a point and his point failed. What a jackass!

Then if that's what he wants - he needs to hire Cam Cameron ASAP - if he'll come. But NO WAY IN HELL I'd work for Herm if I were he.

TEX
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
What a waste this coming NFL season will be this TURD needs to be flushed end of story :mad:

Kind of like the last one was? What a waste is right... :cuss:

HemiEd
01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
“The system didn’t allow you to get the ball to certain guys enough when you needed to,” he said. “I’m not knocking this system because it accomplished a lot of good things

lying ****tard, you are to knocking the system. Because it was not yours.

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 09:02 AM
On second read, I really like this part:

“The system didn’t allow you to get the ball to certain guys enough when you needed to,” he said. “I’m not knocking this system because it accomplished a lot of good things here but it was built on volume. We ran so many plays. It can make some positive plays and some negative plays. We had more negative plays than anybody in football, 125 negative plays. Over the years, it’s always been that way. There are a lot of negative plays, and I don’t want negative plays. Negative plays kill you.”

Over the years the Vermeil system (that Herm admitted to changing last year) resulted in a lot of negative plays and "it's always been that way"?

Does Herm's definition of "always" mean the last two years, because I don't recall always losing lots of yards between 2002 and 2005.

C-Mac
01-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Does Herm's definition of "always" mean the last two years, because I don't recall always losing lots of yards between 2002 and 2005.

With the Oline we had in 2002-2005, negative plays didnt come easy.

cookster50
01-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I was O.K. with Herm being fired but since he's not I'm gonna give him another year.

Nice of you to give the guy another year. Because, you know, it's up to you.......

01-03-2008, 09:21 AM
lying ****tard, you are to knocking the system. Because it was not yours.
Why wasn't he concerned with this in training camp instead of whoring himself to HBO's camera's?

This guy is a ****ing idiotic nut job. how anybody can take what he says seriously (including the Chiefs players) is beyond me.

splatbass
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
In other words, Herm now wants the circus offense that he and team management have been bashing the last two years.

Actually I think he only bashed it once, and the haters here on CP have repeated it so often that it seems like he has been bashing it for 2 years. Typical for this place, reality has no place here.

crazycoffey
01-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I hear Herm is taking over playcalling abilities...

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Actually I think he only bashed it once, and the haters here on CP have repeated it so often that it seems like he has been bashing it for 2 years. Typical for this place, reality has no place here.

He's knocking it again in this article, so that's at least twice.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2008, 09:32 AM
sounds like Marty "Chunks" shottenheimer back when he was struggling to try and figure out what offense was.

he contradicts himself in this article how many times?

i wonder if someone can find the quote from Herm about how it would be "foolish to dismantle the #1 offense in the league" and yet he did that very thing.

btw - i think these statement pretty much eliminate Cam Cameron from any consideration.

teh moran :shake:

01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
sounds like Marty "Chunks" shottenheimer back when he was struggling to try and figure out what offense was.

he contradicts himself is this article how many times?

i wonder if someone can find the quote from Herm about how it would be "foolish to dismantle the #1 offense in the league" and yet he did that very thing.

btw - i think these statement pretty much eliminate Cam Cameron from any consideration.

But he had to dismantle that offense, he wanted a ball control offense to keep the terrible defense off the field!

Weren't the Chiefs 2nd in the league in time of possession in 2005?

The man never makes any sense to any of us. what do you think the players think? :spock:

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
what do you think the players think? :spock:

Apparently you get a lot of mileage from being a former black player that runs easy camps.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Apparently you get a lot of mileage from being a former black player that runs easy camps.
so Herm is white now?

i wondered why he looked kind funny nowadays

TEX
01-03-2008, 09:48 AM

he contradicts himself is this article how many times?

I lamost BLEW CHUNKS reading it because it remined me of the same thing. :Lin:

Chiefnj2
01-03-2008, 09:50 AM
so Herm is white now?

i wondered why he looked kind funny nowadays
He's kind of mulatto with those v neck sweater vest things he wears.

Mr. Laz
01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
I lamost BLEW CHUNKS reading it because it remined me of the same thing. :Lin:
he really does sound just like Marty back when he was at a loss about what to do on offense.

gotta be unpredictable

gotta be able to run it down their throats even if they know it's coming

not a ton of short passes we need chunks

dear gawd .... somebody shoot me :deevee:

better yet, somebody shoot Herm :p