PDA

View Full Version : Talib Gone

AggressiveNapkin
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Saw it posted on another forum, in which they cited ESPN.

Don't blame him one bit with this weak draft class. He is borderline first and if not than an early second round pick IMO.

sorry if Repost.

Pablo
01-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, he definately didn't hurt his stock any at the Orange Bowl. I wouldn't want the Chiefs to even look at him before the 3rd. He'll be long gone by then.

CoMoChief
01-07-2008, 12:00 AM
His combine (speed) might hurt him a little, enough maybe to drop out of the first round, but I would say top 10 in early 2nd round at the worst, the CB class isn't great this season unlike last's.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Can't wait until he runs that 4.75 at the combine......

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Actually it is an extremely deep CB year..especially with Brandon Flowers also declaring...there are going to be 10+ corners picked in this draft that have starting talent.

Pablo
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
His combine (speed) might hurt him a little, enough maybe to drop out of the first round, but I would say top 10 in early 2nd round at the worst, the CB class isn't great this season unlike last's.Yeah, I really don't expect him to win any hearts at the combine, but he has had a pretty damn impressive season.

If the Chiefs considered using their second round pick for him, I wouldn't be very happy at all.

Pablo
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Can't wait until he runs that 4.75 at the combine......This is true. He's a bit slow, and he's a bit of a gambler at times.

keg in kc
01-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I would imagine he's a first rounder unless he wears cast iron shoes when he runs his 40. My guess is that as long as he runs anywhere in the low to mid 4.4s, somebody will draft him in the top 20 to 25.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
This is true. He's a bit slow, and he's a bit of a gambler at times.

A bit slow?

There might be some offensive lineman who could give him a good race.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I would imagine he's a first rounder unless he wears cast iron shoes when he runs his 40. My guess is that as long as he runs anywhere in the low to mid 4.4s, somebody will draft him in the top 20 to 25.

He couldn't run a 4.4 with a jet pack on his back.

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Do you need blazing speed to play Cover 2 CB?

I thought all you needed was great tackling and superior instincts, and he seems to have both.

AggressiveNapkin
Can't wait until he runs that 4.75 at the combine......

No way. I'll admit the guy doesn't have blazing speed, but i bet the worst he runs is a 4.6.

Numerous draft sites claim he runs a 4.5

keg in kc
He couldn't run a 4.4 with a jet pack on his back.Maybe, maybe not. Not sure why you have such a boner for him, but I've got nothing vested in the guy. I'll just wait for his pro day.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:07 AM

I don't think there's anyway he goes in the first...this is one of the deepest corner years I can ever remember...he won't put up the raw jaw dropping talent numbers several of the other guys will.

acesn8s
01-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, he definately didn't hurt his stock any at the Orange Bowl. I wouldn't want the Chiefs to even look at him before the 3rd. He'll be long gone by then.They will...and turn him into a safety:banghead:

Eleazar
01-07-2008, 12:09 AM

Sitting on an out route all afternoon won't work in the NFL.

CoMoChief
Do you need blazing speed to play Cover 2 CB?

I thought all you needed was great tackling and superior instincts, and he seems to have both.
No but Ty Law is slow and I would bet he's faster than Talib.

OnTheWarpath15
Maybe, maybe not. Not sure why you have such a boner for him, but I've got nothing vested in the guy. I'll just wait for his pro day.

I don't, he's just slow as molasses.

He has all the tools, but I think he'll get exposed at the next level.

Could he be a good safety?

Not sure.

Maybe the combine will come, he'll squeak out a 4.5-6, and I'll eat some crow.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Ok honest question if you look at the corners poised to be in this draft where does Talib rate...about 7th? Something like that?

KcMizzou
01-07-2008, 12:11 AM
This was kinda expected, wasn't it?

He's good, I wouldn't mind seeing him in KC.

Doesn't excite me much, but I'd take him.

keg in kc
01-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I don't think there's anyway he goes in the first...this is one of the deepest corner years I can ever remember...he won't put up the raw jaw dropping talent numbers several of the other guys will.That's certainly possible, but I wouldn't discount anything at this point. 7 DBs went in the first round last year. 7 DBs went in the first round in '06. 6 went in the first in '05.

Mecca
This was kinda expected, wasn't it?

He's good, I wouldn't mind seeing him in KC.

Doesn't excite me much, but I'd take him.

I actually didn't think it was because he'd be a higher pick next year, I thought he'd look at the deep talent pool at his position and opt to go back and come out in a weaker corner class next year.

AggressiveNapkin
Despite the fact people claim he is slow, the dude still has play making ability to be a decent corner. His 100 yard interception return for a TD proves that.

Throw in that fact that he is unusually tall for a corner(around 6"2) and still that athletic means he could be a good player.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Ok honest question if you look at the corners poised to be in this draft where does Talib rate...about 7th? Something like that?

Off the top of my head.....

Both of the Jenkins. (Mike/Malcolm)

Williams from South Florida.

McKelvin from Troy.

Cason from Arizona.

That puts him at 6.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Brandon Flowers declared today....I think he's a better NFL prospect and his workouts will blow Talibs away...

KcMizzou
01-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Despite the fact people claim he is slow, the dude still has play making ability to be a decent corner. His 100 yard interception return for a TD proves that.

Throw in that fact that he is unusually tall for a corner(around 6"2) and still that athletic means he could be a good player.Heh.

WTF's up with the name?

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Brandon Flowers declared today....I think he's a better NFL prospect and his workouts will blow Talibs away...

Virginia Tech?

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Hmmmm.

1. Jenkins
2. Jenkins
3. Cason
4. Smith
5. Ikegwuonu (has he declared?)
6. Rodgers-Cromartie
7. Thomas
8. Porter
9. Talib
10. Flowers
11. Tribble
12. Williams
13. Jackson
14. Terrell

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Virginia Tech?
Yeah. Should be first day, maybe even first round, but I'm betting 2nd or 3rd.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Virginia Tech?

Yea....hell you could argue other guys like Terrell Thomas are as good of prospects as Talib is.

Problem is at a position like CB in a deep year, if you go out there and run a 4.5 or in general don't impress in your workout, you're screwed. They mean more to that position than any, if Talib has poor workouts and runs in the 4.5's he's gonna watch 10 guys go before him....

Direckshun

McKelvin from Troy.

Cason from Arizona.

That puts him at 6.
I forgot McKelvin from Troy. Dude's supposed to be a miniature beast.

AggressiveNapkin

McKelvin from Troy.

Cason from Arizona.

That puts him at 6.

I like all those guys, but i don't see what they have that separates them from Talib.

Talib was right up there in terms of passes deflected and crucial plays made this season. You can hammer away at the speed but a lot of times he was left on an island with no safety and still made plays.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Hmmmm.

1. Jenkins
2. Jenkins
3. Cason
4. Smith
6. Rodgers-Cromartie
7. Thomas
8. Porter
9. Talib
10. Flowers
11. Tribble
12. Williams
13. Jackson
14. Terrell

Leodis McKelvin from Troy will be off the board early at the position...he has all the physical tools and he's a damn good return man.

AggressiveNapkin
01-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Heh.

WTF's up with the name?

Haha i have no idea. One of my buddies(irishjayhawk) told me to randomly sign up for the planet one day and came up with the name

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I like all those guys, but i don't see what they have that separates them from Talib.

Talib was right up there in terms of passes deflected and crucial plays made this season. You can hammer away at the speed but a lot of times he was left on an island with no safety and still made plays.

Pure natural god given physical talent, at that position, the guys who workout well and run really fast shoot up ahead of the other guys, it's just how it goes. Being a great athlete is what is looked for at that position.

You run 4.3 you go from a 3rd to a 1st...you run 4.5 you just dropped yourself rounds..like I said if Talib has bad workouts he may watch 10 guys go in front of him at his position.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I forgot McKelvin from Troy. Dude's supposed to be a miniature beast.

Yeah, and I forgot Rodgers-Cromartie from your list.

Haven't seen him play, but hear he has the tools, just may need to bulk up a bit. Heard he's weighing in the low 170's.

AggressiveNapkin
Pure natural god given physical talent, at that position, the guys who workout well and run really fast shoot up ahead of the other guys, it's just how it goes. Being a great athlete is what is looked for at that position.

You run 4.3 you go from a 3rd to a 1st...you run 4.5 you just dropped yourself rounds..like I said if Talib has bad workouts he may watch 10 guys go in front of him at his position.

Fair enough. And i'm not trying to be a homer I'm just hoping that that the guy can succeed at the next level.

HolmeZz
Hmmmm.

1. Jenkins
2. Jenkins
3. Cason
4. Smith
6. Rodgers-Cromartie
7. Thomas
8. Porter
9. Talib
10. Flowers
11. Tribble
12. Williams
13. Jackson
14. Terrell

Smith? Alphonso? He shouldn't be that high.

I'd have Porter higher.

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Love the speed in this year's CB crop.

Chiefs would do well to take a stab at two of them.

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Smith?

I'd have Porter higher.
Reggie Smith, OU.

Had a great year on a good defense, can play safety, and is a solid returner. I'm high on the guy. He doesn't have great speed but he looks like a Cover 2 corner to me.

Edit: But he was embarrassed by West Virginia.

Eleazar
01-07-2008, 12:25 AM

Throw in that fact that he is unusually tall for a corner(around 6"2) and still that athletic means he could be a good player.

It was a nice play, but you don't have to be talented to have a ball fall in your lap and outrun guys who you have a 20 yard head start on.

Mecca
We could just pick Terrell Thomas who already plays in a defense pretty similar to what the Chiefs run....

HolmeZz
Had a great year on a good defense, can play safety, and is a solid returner.

Edit: But was embarrassed by West Virginia.

Oh, Reggie Smith. I thought you meant Alphonso.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:27 AM
It was a nice play, but you don't have to be talented to have a ball fall in your lap and outrun guys who you have a 20 yard head start on.

Vaguely reminded me of Bono's 80 yard bootleg scamper......

Eleazar
01-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Vaguely reminded me of Bono's 80 yard bootleg scamper......

I don't know what he'll run at the combine, but he doesn't seem to play fast.

Remember when he scooped up the short field goal and returned it? It was like watching evolution.

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:29 AM
We could just pick Terrell Thomas who already plays in a defense pretty similar to what the Chiefs run....
I honestly wouldn't complain if we tried to drafted two corners in the first four rounds. But the truth is, we're hurting too hard at OL.

I'd be surprised if we drafted two CBs, let alone one in the first two rounds.

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:30 AM
I don't know what he'll run at the combine, but he doesn't seem to play fast.

Remember when he scooped up the short field goal and returned it? It was like watching evolution.

ROFL ROFL

I've always been partial to "they'll time his 40 with a sundial" but yours is pretty damn good.

AggressiveNapkin
01-07-2008, 12:33 AM
ROFL ROFL

I've always been partial to "they'll time his 40 with a sundial" but yours is pretty damn good.

I laughed but damn you guys are hatin on him like no other. Here's to hoping he proves people wrong at the combine.

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Some of the midround talent is pretty impressive as well, folks.

Projected 3rds:
Chevis Jackson
Charles Godfrey
Patrick Lee
Terrence Wheatley
Jon Zenon

4th rounders
Jack Williams
Darnell Terrell
Zack Bowman
Marcus Walker
Al Phillips

5th rounders
Justin Tryon
Roland Minor
Orlando Scandrick

OnTheWarpath15
01-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I laughed but damn you guys are hatin on him like no other. Here's to hoping he proves people wrong at the combine.

Not hating, just think he'll drop like a rock on draft boards if he doesn't find a way to run at least a 4.5 at the combine, and that's being generous.

He has the skills, but teams will be scared off by as bad of a 40 time as I suspect he'll run.

Like I said earlier, I'll eat my crow if necessary. I just thing there are some other guys who bring it ALL to the table.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Bowman is a guy who can get himself into the first day with workouts.

Talib has limitations which will hurt him. If he doesn't run fast and is seen as a safety or cover 2 CB he moves down...if a team takes him in the 3rd round and understands what his limitations are he can play in the league..

If some team drafts him thinking he's gonna be a man corner...yea not good.

POND_OF_RED
01-07-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't think he's ready yet for the NFL. It would have helped him to stick around IMO and gain experience against some pretty good passing offenses next year (OK, TX, TX Tech, and MU) Then again it would be hard to match the year he had this year. I don't see another year helping his stock much so I think he made the right decision.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I hope the Raiders take him with the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. LMAO Hell, if that doesn't happen, the Jets could. That would be funny too, if it wasn't such a strong possiblity with their drafting history.

POND_OF_RED
01-07-2008, 12:46 AM
I hope the Raiders take him with the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. LMAO Hell, if that doesn't happen, the Jets could. That would be funny too, if it wasn't such a strong possiblity with their drafting history.
If he does end up in the AFC west all the Chiefs need to do is sign Jordy Nelson :p

AggressiveNapkin
01-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Not hating, just think he'll drop like a rock on draft boards if he doesn't find a way to run at least a 4.5 at the combine, and that's being generous.

He has the skills, but teams will be scared off by as bad of a 40 time as I suspect he'll run.

Like I said earlier, I'll eat my crow if necessary. I just thing there are some other guys who bring it ALL to the table.

Word is that there is a possibility Anthony Collins of KU may also declare if Talib did... Where do you think he would stand as far as draft status goes if he declared?

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 01:03 AM
We need to cue up the Jets YouTube where they draft a FB in the first round and that dude goes OOOOOH NOOOOOO!

CoMoChief
01-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Ohhhh Nooooo is at the 35 sec mark.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZxNeFLuY98&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZxNeFLuY98&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 01:09 AM
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahaha
ahahahahaahahahaha
ahahahahaahahahaha
ahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahhahahahh
hahhahahahahahahah

Hammock Parties
01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Move him to safety and dump Pollard.

Mecca
01-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Word is that there is a possibility Anthony Collins of KU may also declare if Talib did... Where do you think he would stand as far as draft status goes if he declared?

It's also a deep tackle year so that probably wouldn't be overly smart on his part.

AggressiveNapkin
01-07-2008, 01:15 AM
It's also a deep tackle year so that probably wouldn't be overly smart on his part.

Those were my feelings as well. Coming back another year would be very beneficial to him IMO

Mr. Flopnuts
01-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Ohhhh Nooooo is at the 35 sec mark.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZxNeFLuY98&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZxNeFLuY98&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Even Berman said "Ohhhh" LMAO

Direckshun
01-07-2008, 01:19 AM
Even Berman said "Ohhhh" LMAO
ROFL

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Heck remember this name for cornerback - Dwight Lowery from San Jose State. I like him alot, I think he has the stuff to be a top flight corner.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Here is video of Lowery - #25 for San Jose State
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_LKUYxnkaI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_LKUYxnkaI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

AggressiveNapkin
01-07-2008, 01:40 AM
KC Star is now reporting as well...

Talib to NFL (http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/433503.html)

Pablo
01-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Heck remember this name for cornerback - Dwight Lowery from San Jose State. I like him alot, I think he has the stuff to be a top flight corner.Very impressive video.

What round's he slated to go, or is he flying under the radar altogether?

BWillie
01-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Gordon > Talib ???

or

Talib > Gordon?

Zeke Ziggle
01-07-2008, 03:05 AM
What round's he slated to go, or is he flying under the radar altogether?
Hard to tell Scott wright has him ranked as the 16th best senior CB so that would seem to be somewhere between 4th - 6th . Walter Football has us taking him with our 3rd round pick. Scott wright has his 40 at 4.55 which is the same time he has for talib but he plays much faster than that.

ROYC75
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM

Probally late 2nd, most likely early 3rd.

Brock
01-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Smart move, his stock will never be higher than it is right now.

kepp
01-07-2008, 08:42 AM
If he trips over his own cleats at times, he'll be Ty Law incarnate.

Sure-Oz
01-07-2008, 08:54 AM
2nd to 3rd rounder i assume, since he will likely be turned into a safety anyway