PDA

View Full Version : Live 14 years longer

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Healthy habits can mean 14 extra years

By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer1 hour, 22 minutes ago

To get an extra 14 years of life, don't smoke, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, exercise regularly and drink alcohol in moderation.

That is according to a study published Monday in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal.

After tracking more than 20,000 people aged 45 to 79 years in the United Kingdom from about 1993 to 2006, Kay-Tee Khaw of the University of Cambridge and colleagues found that people who adopted these four healthy habits lived an average of 14 years longer than those who didn't.

"We've known for a long time that these behaviors are good things to do, but we've never seen these additive benefits before," said Susan Jebb, head of Nutrition and Health at Britain's Medical Research Council. Jebb was not involved in the study.

"Just doing one of these behaviors helps, but every step you make to improve your health seems to have an added benefit," she said. The benefits were also seen regardless of whether or not people were fat and what social class they came from.

Study participants scored a point each for not smoking, regular physical activity, eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day and moderate alcohol intake. People who scored four were four times less likely to die than those who scored zero. Researchers tracked deaths from all causes, including cardiovascular disease, cancer and respiratory diseases.

Participants filled in a health questionnaire and nurses conducted a medical exam at a clinic. The study was largely paid for by the Medical Research Council and Cancer Research United Kingdom.

Khaw said that the study should convince people that improving their health does not always require extreme changes to their lifestyles. "We didn't ask these people to do anything exceptional," Khaw said. We measured normal behaviors that were entirely feasible within people's normal, everyday lives."

Public health experts said they hoped the study would inspire governments to introduce policies helping people to adopt these changes.

"This research is an important piece of work which emphasizes how modifying just a few risk factors can add years to your life," said Dr. Tim Armstrong, a physical activity expert at the World Health Organization.

But because the study only observed people rather than testing specific changes, experts said that it would be impossible to conclude that people who suddenly adopted these healthy behaviors would automatically gain 14 years.

"We can't say that any one person could gain 14 years by doing these things," said Dr. Tim Armstrong, a physical activity expert at the World Health Organization. "The 14 years is an average across the population of what's theoretically possible."

Experts are also unsure if these new findings will actually improve the public's health.

"What stops people from changing their behavior is not a lack of knowledge," Jebb said.

"Most people know that things like a good diet matter and that smoking is not good for you," she said. "We need to work on providing people with much more practical support to help them change."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/ap_on_he_me/britain_live_longer;_ylt=AineFB4q4QTTMIAAbI_A7Ems0NUE

Don't smoke.......................................check
Eat lots of fruits and vegetables............check
Exercise regularly................................check
Drink alcohol in moderation....................crap

Skip Towne
01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey, this really works. I'm in year 8 of my extra 14.

tooge
01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I dont know how much the government grant was for this genius to figure that out, but I could have told you that for free. Commom freakin sense. Human beings were not designed to eat cheeseburgers and french fries.

chasedude
01-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I dont know how much the government grant was for this genius to figure that out, but I could have told you that for free. Commom freakin sense. Human beings were not designed to eat cheeseburgers and french fries.

Yeah this falls in the "No Shit, Sherlock" files.

The Franchise
01-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Define moderation.

pr_capone
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM

GDI!

We have to put up with you for another 6 years?!?!?!?

:p

Pablo
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Dammit..and this whole time I thought smoking cigarettes was beneficial to my health and lifespan...

Thank God for this study out of the UK. You clever Brits are destined to save lives with this kind of information.

AggressiveNapkin
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

Haha seriously. I was about to say the same thing. Everyone knows when they are taking a risk with their health, it is just a matter of whether they decide to follow the health guidelines or not.

JBucc
01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
not smoking-Check
regular physical activity-Nope
eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day-Nope
moderate alcohol intake-Check

So I guess that means I get 7 extra. I'll take it.

acasas4
01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
1) Eat healthy

2) Stay fit

3) Die anyway

tooge
01-08-2008, 12:18 PM
The biggest problem with the whole "live so many years longer" theory, is say, you live 10 years longer due to a great die and excercise. So, you got to go from 85 to 95 when you would have croaked at 85. How much fun are you having that last ten from 85 to 95? I mean, if you could stay 40 for ten years without aging, it would be worth it, but to add it at the end sort of seems like a waste to me. You know, sacrifice your entire life avoiding fried foods and alcohol, and working out like a madman, for what? 10 more years with someone wiping your ass? I just dont know.

sedated
01-08-2008, 12:20 PM
if you're not doing all those, are you really living?

StcChief
01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
4) Don't drive

manchambo
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
My grandfather ate like crap and drank a 20 oz. martini or two most every night, and he made it to 84. The other three lived loger than that.

No interest in living much longer than that anyway (though I have some hope that in the next 50 years they'll be able to tranfer my mind to a machine of some kind, or maybe into a nubile puerto riccan--either would be fine with me).

Hammock Parties
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Human beings were not designed to eat cheeseburgers and french fries.

Are you saying God is not all-knowing?

Wile_E_Coyote
01-08-2008, 12:43 PM
People packed food in salt & fried it in lard & still lived well into their 80s. Exercise was another matter though I reckon

ClevelandBronco
01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
14 years of eating salad instead of barbecue, no nicotine, sweating like a pig (or a limp celery on a window sill, since I'm not allowed to eat barbecue), without drinking enough to get a slight buzz on.

And I get to enjoy all this extra time during my drooling years (but I'm sure not drooling over my barbecue)?

What a bargain.

ClevelandBronco
01-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Are you saying God is not all-knowing?

I think he's saying that Ray Croc was not all knowing.

tooge
01-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I think he's saying that Ray Croc was not all knowing.
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up for him.

wutamess
01-08-2008, 01:13 PM

How old are you? 60?

DaKCMan AP
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
14 years of eating salad instead of barbecue,

You're looking at it all wrong. Eat salad WITH your BBQ, don't give up BBQ. :thumb:

way2kalm
01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I believe the point some of you all are missing is the quality of life. Yes, people can eat food deep fried in lard and smoke their whole lives and live to 70, however their quality of life maybe poor. This would mean that they live to 70 but they might have had lung cancer and triple bypass heart surgery. They might have also lived in a nursing home for the last 10 years. Yes, he lived to be 70, but a couple of surgeries and surviving lung cancer on top of living in a nursing home for 10 years is something that I would NOT condsider living.

pr_capone
01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
they'll be able to tranfer my mind to a machine of some kind, or maybe into a nubile puerto riccan--either would be fine with me).

Sorry... my body is otherwise occupied ATM. I'll let you know as soon as it is available though. :D

cadmonkey
01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Like Dennis Leary says, you can have those last 14 years. those are the bad years. Those are the drooling on yourself, crapping your pants, losing your mind years.

I think if I had the choice I would rather go 14 years earlier than 14 years later.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-08-2008, 02:24 PM

LMAO Well the world is gonna end in 2012 (put your tin foil hat on) so you're gonna die a miserable death instead of dying in peace. That's good health for you. ****in you in life AND in death.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-08-2008, 03:45 PM
The way I see it ,pigs and cows eat nothing but veggies , so by eating steak and pork, you have effeciently transferred veggies to your diet!

Sanka
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Live your life to the fullest CHECK

thehead
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I believe the point some of you all are missing is the quality of life. Yes, people can eat food deep fried in lard and smoke their whole lives and live to 70, however their quality of life maybe poor. This would mean that they live to 70 but they might have had lung cancer and triple bypass heart surgery. They might have also lived in a nursing home for the last 10 years. Yes, he lived to be 70, but a couple of surgeries and surviving lung cancer on top of living in a nursing home for 10 years is something that I would NOT condsider living.

Damn took all the fun right outta my comment
:)

Elwaysux
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
If any of my 14 extra involves depends and drinking mush through a straw, clock me out early. I'll eat and drink like I want and die at 80 going strong rather than 94 in assisted living. Yechhh

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
GDI!

We have to put up with you for another 6 years?!?!?!?

:p

Heheh