PDA

View Full Version : The Kansas City Hornets?

Marco Polo
01-09-2008, 03:25 PM
With the Supersonics looking to go to OKC, this could pave the move for us.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2008/01/no_fans_must_sa.html

The Boston Globe is reporting that if the New Orleans Hornets don't average close to 15,000 fans in home games starting with tonight's contest against the Lakers through all home games until February of 2009, the franchise will be allowed out of their lease with the New Orleans Arena by the State of Louisiana.

If that happens, the Hornets would be allowed to move if they choose, although owner George Shinn would likely owe close to $100 million in penalties, making a move less likely. The Hornets have averaged an NBA-worst 11,871 fans this season through 15 games. Potential suitors could include Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Las Vegas. If this happens, it could be great news for fans of the Seattle SuperSonics

Hammock Parties
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
With the Supersonics looking to go to OKC, this could pave the move for us.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2008/01/no_fans_must_sa.html

The Boston Globe is reporting that if the New Orleans Hornets don't average close to 15,000 fans in home games starting with tonight's contest against the Lakers through all home games until February of 2009, the franchise will be allowed out of their lease with the New Orleans Arena by the State of Louisiana.

If that happens, the Hornets would be allowed to move if they choose, although owner George Shinn would likely owe close to $100 million in penalties, making a move less likely. The Hornets have averaged an NBA-worst 11,871 fans this season through 15 games. Potential suitors could include Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Las Vegas. If this happens, it could be great news for fans of the Seattle SuperSonics

i thought the sonics were going to oklahoma city, so that would leave it to just us and Vegas?

CHENZ A!
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
The Hornets have a really good team this yr, I can't believe people aren't going. I would love for us to get that team.

Molitoth
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Charlotte Hornets were my favorite team in the NBA back when they had Bogues, LJ, and Mourning. After that teams downfall, I lost interest in the NBA.

KC Hornets would peek my interest again.

HonestChieffan
01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Says something about the age of this link.

Nixon died. Did you all hear about that?

Eleazar
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Says something about the age of this link.

Nixon died. Did you all hear about that?

Posted by Marc J. Spears, Globe Staff January 9, 2008 12:33 PM

The Boston Globe has learned that the New Orleans Hornets are expected to announce today that if they don't average close to 15,000 fans in home games starting with tonight's contest against the Los Angeles Lakers through all home games until February of 2009, the franchise will be allowed out of their lease with the New Orleans Arena by the State of Louisiana, according to an NBA source. Not reaching the needed average would allow the Hornets to move if they choose. Although tonight's Lakers game is sold out, the Hornets have averaged an NBA-worst 11,871 fans this season in New Orleans through 15 games. Potential suitors could include Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Las Vegas.

Eleazar
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
This would be cold comfort to those of us who want to see the NHL come to Kansas City.

Doubt I would even attend the games more than once a year or so out of curiosity. No interest in the NBA at all.

HemiEd
01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
No interest in the NBA at all.

Me either, nor did many fans in KC when the Kings were there.

Eleazar
01-09-2008, 04:06 PM

We've already got college basketball, which is a lot more entertaining and interesting, all over this area. Why do I need to watch some NBAbies loaf around for $10 million a year?

I think the city would be safer with hockey players in town too instead of NBA players. :p

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2008, 04:10 PM

NBA changed quite bit after the Kings left when some dude named Jordan entered the league.

Pitt Gorilla
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
This would be cold comfort to those of us who want to see the NHL come to Kansas City.

Doubt I would even attend the games more than once a year or so out of curiosity. No interest in the NBA at all.The Penguins would have been an incredible get. The Predators would have been pretty good as well. Now that neither are apparently moving, who is left out there?

POND_OF_RED
01-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Unless Muggsy Bogues rejoins the team I'm not interested...

Extra Point
01-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Get more Hannah Montana stand-ins, and hold a few more concerts at the Sprint Center. Same diff.

We couldn't keep the Kings here. We'd find the same result a few years after bringing in any NBA franchise.

kcxiv
01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
We've already got college basketball, which is a lot more entertaining and interesting, all over this area. Why do I need to watch some NBAbies loaf around for $10 million a year?

I think the city would be safer with hockey players in town too instead of NBA players. :p
you have a gross misinterpretation of what the NBA game is now days. All the top teams in the NBA play team ball. Boston, San Antonio, Detroit, Pheonix, Dallas and even the Lakers now are playing team ball.

The game of NBA basketball right now has been awesome to watch. I think you have bigger cry babies in the NFL then you do in the NBA now days.

Deberg_1990
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Why are people so against having an NBA team in KC?

NBA has changed tremendously since the KC Kings days. For one, its alot more popular.

I do question whether or not KC can support 3 professional sports teams.

Eleazar
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
NBA has changed tremendously since the KC Kings days. For one, its alot more popular.

Based on... tv ratings?

58-4ever
01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't do it! They will break your heart!