PDA

View Full Version : Rufus: CARL CARL CARL CARL

Hammock Parties
01-09-2008, 04:00 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/01/09/dawes_trial_and_error/

Various Carl Peterson acolytes have had and are still receiving appointments to general manager jobs throughout the league, a fact the embattled Chiefs GM is never shy about mentioning when queried on his seemingly never-in-danger job status. If NFL owners carry the negative sentiments about Peterson that some of the locals have, it clearly doesn’t carry over to the people who have worked for him at one time or another. Bill Kuharich [New Orleans], Mark Hatley [Chicago], Terry Bradway [New York], and now Jeff Ireland [Miami] are four of the more familiar names that have surfaced in prominent jobs in recent years and who were apparently prepped by Peterson or learned something at his feet. In fact, in recent weeks Kuharich’s name has been tossed around in Atlanta as a candidate for the Falcons’ vacant GM job.

A league infested with Peterson spawn must seem a frightening prospect to those fellows at a certain local radio and TV station, don’t you think?

Truly, the most prominent issue NFL owners face these days is determining where the next superstar GM or head coach will come from. Mining the field of scouting offices or offensive and defensive coordinators has not necessarily proved to be infallible. Yet, this is the usual course that is taken. More recently, owners have looked to revive their teams’ fortunes by looking back to old proven coaches from yesteryear like Joe Gibbs, Dick Vermeil and Bill Parcells. Marty Schottenheimer’s name has recently been raised for a number of job openings.

Interestingly enough, Parcells has resurfaced as a team president yet it can be said that he has never “built” a team before, and is better known for his coaching prowess, not front office success. Indeed, his teams have always featured old players, not young and emerging ones. So are we to expect that Miami will become a haven for old vets? That’s their current problem now. The Dolphins are an old team, particularly on defense.

All owners want to win and they court winners to help them do it and the old names are to them, and to the general public for that matter, the most familiar. There’s a comfort level that doesn’t exist in the unknown quantity.

As successful businessmen team owners want success now, as in immediately, and that is not so easy to produce in a sports franchise even with names as well known as Parcells, Gibbs, and Vermeil.

Moreover, the old coaches are short-timers who also want to win now and forego building teams they will never coach. Hence, they seek to give us the quick fix and as we have seen it hasn’t worked. Gibbs’ retirement yesterday came after he took his team to the playoffs twice but won only once. Vermeil took his Chiefs team to the post-season once and lost in the second round following a bye. The excitement at the time of their hiring promised a better finish than what ultimately occurred. Building or rebuilding doesn’t excite anyone since no one can guarantee when it will end. Of further impact is fan unrest, which owners no doubt feel as a hot breath on the back of their necks.

None of this is unexpected. It is the great “American Way,” contends columnist Bret Stephens, writing about expectations of a different sort in The Wall Street Journal the other day. (January 8, 2008)

You may see it as a virtue, but “virtues spawn vices,” Stephens believes. “One is impatience. Another is chronic complaint. A third is the belief that every problem has a solution, that trial is possible without error, that risks must always be zero, that every inconvenience is an out outrage, every setback a disaster.”

Expectations are great, but they must be leavened by reality and the reality in Kansas City is it may not be quick no matter if Carl Peterson or one of his followers in the business is leading the effort or not.

Eleazar
01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Parcells sucks, you're lucky to have Carl. Sincerely, Doofus

Brock
01-09-2008, 04:08 PM
He forgot to mention Carl's USFL championship ring.

Sure-Oz
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
He forgot to mention Carl's USFL championship ring.
United Super Fag League?

FAX
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Sure, you can leaven expectations, but if you let those leavened expectations sit for too long in the heat, they will balloon up creating giant bubbles of incompetence which means that, after your expectations are baked, the butter of disappointment will fall right through onto the floor of failure causing you to slip and fall on the ass of disaster.

FAX

the Talking Can
01-09-2008, 04:15 PM
STOP IT

PLEASE STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

3000 articles by the same people saying the same thing: Carl is a great GM, anyone who wants to win a playoff game is stupid, Carl is a great GM...

MAKE IT STOP

the Talking Can
01-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Dufus translated:

"Sure, Carl has failed every year for 14 years, but I have a large vocabulary, so who cares."

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow - this is an unbelievable fluffing campaign instigated by Carl's office....first Gretz, now Rufus - "get out there and write something POSITIVE, you dolts!" I can just see them tripping over each other running out of his office.

This would make a GREAT sitcom......really it would!

Bob Dole
01-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Sure, you can leaven expectations, but if you let those leavened expectations sit for too long in the heat, they will balloon up creating giant bubbles of incompetence which means that, after your expectations are baked, the butter of disappointment will fall right through onto the floor of failure causing you to slip and fall on the ass of disaster.

FAX

That's why "true fans" line up and let Carl place the unleavened wafer on their tongue.

siberian khatru
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, Kuharich, Hatley and Bradway haven't won shit either (no disrespect to the late Mr. Hatley). And Ireland's been gone 7 years, long enough to wash the Carl stink off him and make a name for himself with the Cowboys. And obviously, Parcells hired him because he knows the guy well.

Extra Point
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM
That's why "true fans" line up and let Carl place the unleavened wafer on their tongue.

Most fans have yeast infections, instead.

siberian khatru
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Killer. ROFL

kstater
01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
4 of "Carls' Spawns" have interviewed for jobs, congratulations, I still don't see a superbowl appearance on Carl's resume.

bobbything
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Wouldn't it be great if Gretz or Rufus wrote an article that didn't focus on what Carl Peterson did in the 90's, and instead focused on what he's done since then?

10 years ago Carl Peterson deserved mucho credit. Today, not so much.

stonedstooge
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Pressure on King Carl must be mounting from somewhere since these asskissers (Gretz included) wouldn't be writing these articles of praise for the mighty one and how we all owe him so much for what he's done for this franchise. I wonder where the pressure is emulating from? I would only hope it is coming from the top i.e. Hunt family, and not from a bunch of posters such as ourselves. The damage control is happening for a reason. Maybe something is up. Maybe Clark does of a set and is getting ready to set them lose. We can only hope and pray.

el borracho
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
emulate- to imitate, to copy

emanate- to emit, to issue, to send forth

el borracho
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
emasculate- to retain Carl and Herm

Eleazar
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree.. Carl must be feeling some pressure if he's got his lapdogs out here trying to divert attention away from what he's actually done to deserve his position.

Agent V
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Gretz and Rufus: There are coaching positions to fill, a draft to analyze, and free agency to look into. Maybe write about that instead of continually reassuring us and yourselves that Carl Peterson is a god among men. The fact that they feel the need to keep kissing his ass only makes me find him more and more pathetic.

Hammock Parties
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
You "Carl is feeling pressure" guys are hoping for too much. This is just a response to Jack Harry's rant last night.

stonedstooge
01-09-2008, 05:19 PM
El Burracco. Thanks for the help. Vocabulary was never one of my better subjects. If you can tell from the rest of my post I made several errors. Pain Killer time and my brain misfunctions for a time until they kick in.

siberian khatru
01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
There's no pressure on Carl. He's here to the end of his current contract.

el borracho
01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm here to help.

Splat420
01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
"Sure, Carl has failed every year for 14 years, but I have a large vocabulary, so who cares."

Classic. LOL

stonedstooge
01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought that Jack ranted and raved about him every night. I don't think that is what has triggered this outpouring of praise for him.

stevieray
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
you guys really read these?

stonedstooge
01-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I for one read what Gretz has to say. I would say some of his writings during the season are informative. But don't care for him taking a defensive position concerning fans gripes and complaints, especially when it has to do with the management of this team. His last two articles have done just that and were also demeaning to the fan base.

FAX
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Let’s Just Forget This Ever Happened.

RUFUS DAWES.

Throughout the NFL and over the ensuing months, general managers will be functioning with little rest to determine and resolve how best to maximize the latent potential of the franchise for which they are held responsible. In many cases, these teams and their leadership have been hampered if not devastated and overwhelmed to the extreme and without prejeduce by injury, age, ineffectual coaching or lackluster fan participation and questions permeate those organizations as to the apposite and preferable means to progress into the coming year. Such is not the case in Kansas City.

Although it may be true that, in looking back over the last two decades as defined by the Gregorian calendar, the results engendered by Carl Peterson’s unflagging and indefatigable efforts have been deemed, by some of the more coarse and obtuse among us, to be perchance fallible and even, perhaps, on occasion unsound or imperfect, this too can be corrected through the proper use of historically established methodologies for departing from any current course of action and determining and setting forth a new direction unhindered and unobstructed by the past or precedent. And what, you may ask, is this verifiable and proven system? Amnesia.

Amnesia has been overlooked by many of the more small-minded and loutish in the mainstream media as a means whereby teams can forego past misfortunes and look forward with anticipation to a bright future unconstrained by former events, decisions, or actions. It is patently unsurprising that these uncouth and dim-witted purveyors of fabrications and mendacities might disregard such techniques and modus in their feverish and overly vehement efforts to misrepresent public opinion. For, as the philosopher, Aristotle stated so eloquently in Plato’s treatise on subjugation and conquest, “History is the pothole on the road to Rome.”

As the principal of the Kansas City Chiefs, Carl Peterson has aligned and united himself with such wisdom and has, through extraordinary leadership, commitment, and assurance, asserted and determined that no facts or particulars associated with the institution for which such leadership is required are of sufficient importance or consequence to merit resurfacing or recollection. Those “fans” that identify with the franchise would be well served to follow suit, as the hand baggage of yesteryear is vacant and unfilled with the toiletries of tomorrow.

Moreover, amnesia is, in essence and by its very nature, the “bye week” of the mind. Hence, the process and concept of “rebuilding” is moot as, by default, no remembrance has yet to form.

Many are the NFL fans that would gladly supplicate and beseech their management for such a respite and glorious absence of recollection and reminiscence and glad should every heart be that Carl Peterson has, once again, demonstrated the virtue of genius for which he was hired.

(FAX)

Iowanian
01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Lets do facts, dumbass.......
Pull up a seat roofus.

Various Carl Peterson acolytes have had and are still receiving appointments to general manager jobs throughout the league, a fact the embattled Chiefs GM is never shy about mentioning when queried on his seemingly never-in-danger job status. If NFL owners carry the negative sentiments about Peterson that some of the locals have, it clearly doesn’t carry over to the people who have worked for him at one time or another. Bill Kuharich [New Orleans], Mark Hatley [Chicago], Terry Bradway [New York], and now Jeff Ireland [Miami] are four of the more familiar names that have surfaced in prominent jobs in recent years and who were apparently prepped by Peterson or learned something at his feet. In fact, in recent weeks Kuharich’s name has been tossed around in Atlanta as a candidate for the Falcons’ vacant GM job.

A league infested with Peterson spawn must seem a frightening prospect

Carl Peterson- Chiefs, drafting top 5
Bill Kuharich-Ruined NO, Chiefs drafting top 5
Terry Bradway-Jets, drafting top 6
Jeff Ireland-Picking first, because they are now the worst team in the league.

So lets review....the Carl Peterson Apostles you're so proud to use as an example of CP's greatness, represent 4 of the top 6 picks in the 2008 NFL Draft if Kuharich bails for NO.

That tells me that Carl has done an EXCELLENT JOB of teaching future GM's across the league how to SUCK.

For your review....the worst teams in the league, draft FIRST.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d805a3a57&template=without-video&confirm=true

Hammock Parties
01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
LOL....FAX breaks out the 50-cent words.

bowener
01-09-2008, 06:03 PM
when is Clark "the dickless one" Hunt going to talk? I thought he said he was once our season was over... or is it once the entire season is over, or was it when he thinks we have forgotten he will just continue to slink around like a beat dog?

bowener
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Lets do facts, dumbass.......
Pull up a seat roofus.

A league infested with Peterson spawn must seem a frightening prospect

Carl Peterson- Chiefs, drafting top 5
Bill Kuharich-Ruined NO, Chiefs drafting top 5
Terry Bradway-Jets, drafting top 6
Jeff Ireland-Picking first, because they are now the worst team in the league.

So lets review....the Carl Peterson Apostles you're so proud to use as an example of CP's greatness, represent 4 of the top 6 picks in the 2008 NFL Draft if Kuharich bails for NO.

That tells me that Carl has done an EXCELLENT JOB of teaching future GM's across the league how to SUCK.

For your review....the worst teams in the league, draft FIRST.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d805a3a57&template=without-video&confirm=true

Oh... MY.... GAD! That is pretty pathetic. You just dismantled his argument in about 3 seconds... to bad we cant get a real debate going to see how he would debate this.... perhaps picking this high in the draft is part of 'THE plan'.

FAX
01-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Details, Mr. Iowanian. Details.

FAX

Iowanian
01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
in all fairness, Jeff Ireland was on staff at Dallas and is NOW in Miami....My point, is however still true.

DeezNutz
01-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Dufus translated:

"Sure, Carl has failed every year for 14 years, but I have access to a thesaurus, so who cares."

FYP

Extra Point
01-09-2008, 06:54 PM
"Embattled?" With whom, besides disgruntled fans, whose input is meaningless?

gblowfish
01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Does Clark Hunt know that he owns a football team?

Seriously.

The Bad Guy
01-09-2008, 07:40 PM
If the Chiefs spent the time and effort on player development like they do on having their cronies dispute media and fan reports, then they might not be the ****ing laughing stock of the league like they are now.

It's really getting unbearable to like this team.

FAX
01-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Does Clark Hunt know that he owns a football team?

Seriously.

Great question, Mr. gblowfish. One wouldn't think so.

It's very troubling, too. I thought he was going to make some public comments after the season. If he's followed through, I haven't heard. Even so, I guess we all know what he'd say.

It seems to me that most owners stay out of rotten tomato range most of the time. But the fans could use a boost, right now. Words from the owner indicating his commitment to winning the SB would be welcome. It wouldn't take much, but apparently he's unwilling to make the effort.

FAX

Manila-Chief
01-10-2008, 09:13 AM
If the Chiefs spent the time and effort on player development like they do on having their cronies dispute media and fan reports, then they might not be the ****ing laughing stock of the league like they are now.

It's really getting unbearable to like this team.

Correct!!!!

Yesterday on one of the shows on ESPN someone asked one of the "experts" on the show if Tom Brady was on another team would he be as good? .... Guess which team they used as an example of a very poor team? Yep, our Chiefs!!!! Answer, no he would not be as great but the Chiefs would have won more games.

I like that question about Clark even knowing he owns an NFL team. Good job ...

Yes, he represents the owners but NO! he does not act like he knows anything about the team nor that he even cares if they win a single game as long as his family makes money.

Again, I keep waiting for him to suddenly wake up and take action ... if he were to really look at the facts as they have been presented here on the Planet ... how could he not take action. Kingless has been dethroned since Marty left .... who it seems to me was really the one responsible for the 90's success and not Carl ... for if he had any hand in it then he would not have allowed the team to sink this low. Of course the real reason is Kingless is only interested in the bottom line not the goal line.

Chief Henry
01-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Rufus, you remind me of the stuff that was in the cup with the two ladies.

Rausch
01-10-2008, 09:25 AM
So since Carl hasn't done squat lately to brag about we'll play the old "living vicariously" card?

"Well, I never won squat in high school but mah kid is all state!"

And the final argument is that we might as well live with Peterson and his 20 years of failure because odds are it'll take years to rebuild no matter who does it.

Uh huh. Isn't Peterson the guy that said you don't have to rebuild in the NFL anymore? Didn't he say it DOESN'T have to take years?...

FloridaMan88
01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Inside the Iron Curtain of 1 Arrowhead Drive it is like "1984".

Rausch
01-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Inside the Iron Curtain of 1 Arrowhead Drive it is like "1984".

Ripe for a photoshop...

Bowser
01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Could you imagine the Colts or the Pats even considering putting this tripe up on their official sites?

Carl must be THE laughing stock at the league offices. They probably treat him like the nerdy kid trying to hang with the cool kids.

Sure-Oz
01-10-2008, 12:46 PM
We would cut Tom Brady

Chief Henry
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
We would cut Tom Brady

Nope....we would not have even drafted Tom Brady ;)

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Great question, Mr. gblowfish. One wouldn't think so.

It's very troubling, too. I thought he was going to make some public comments after the season. If he's followed through, I haven't heard.

FAX
I understand that his wife heard some muffled cries from the bathroom last week.