PDA

View Full Version : Nutri System : Anybody try this or know one who has ?

ROYC75
01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Does it work if you stay with it ?

Naturally alot of exercise will do more good, but for those of us with health issues that can't, does it work over a period of time ?

Many people are crazy over the South Beach Diet ....... anyone doing it ?

KCGridironBeast
01-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey Marino!

SLAG
01-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes it works

Yes the food tastes like straight ass cardboard

Skip Towne
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Want to lose 10 lbs of ugly fat? Cut off your head. :p

irishjayhawk
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Like I said in the obesity thread, I recently read Eat to Live. And, boy, it packs a punch. I recommend reading it and it addresses the SBD, Zone, and Atkins. It pretty much dismantles them with a plethora of studies.

Eleazar
01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Can you do any exercise at all Roy?

I think you might notice a big difference just from treadmilling at a moderate pace for 20 minutes a day or so.

StcChief
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
don't it sucks. My X tried it. lotta $$ mixed results.

portion control, some exercise, lotta water, Fruits/Veges

ROYC75
01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Can you do any exercise at all Roy?

I think you might notice a big difference just from treadmilling at a moderate pace for 20 minutes a day or so.

Both knees are shot , walking is even a real bitch, kils the lower back.

I have a gazelle that I get on and using it for cardio each day, it's easier on the knees. After awhile it gets me too, but I can aleast get something for about 15 minutes.

I gotta hit this at both ends somehow.......

Frazod
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
And if you really believe some pampered multi-millionaire jerkoff like Marino eats TV dinners for every meal, I've got some swamp land in Arizona to sell you.

Hammock Parties
01-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Try swimming, Roy.

Bill S Preston
01-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Food sucks, and it got pretty expensive. I had the most success with the Atkins diet, I lost about 80 pounds on it, and have been able to keep it off since..

redsurfer11
01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

I have a gazelle that I get on and using it for cardio each day, it's easier on the knees. After awhile it gets me too, but I can aleast get something for about 15 minutes.

Had both of my knees replaced,and my back isn't that great. I swim and exercise at the local YMCA. You're weightless in the water and you can get a good workout. You can do resistance exercises with floats and get cardio from bicycling,jumping jacks, scissors and swimming laps.If you can't swim, get off your ass and take some lessons.You can also fit in some weightroom exercises.

ROYC75
01-10-2008, 04:04 PM
And if you really believe some pampered multi-millionaire jerkoff like Marino eats TV dinners for every meal, I've got some swamp land in Arizona to sell you.

No, I don't buy all of that hype over celebritys or ex-athletes. There are plenty of healthy ways to eat where the food does taste good.I'm just not aware of them and was asking to see if anyone here is doing something good right now.

BigRock
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I have no idea how it works now, but I know someone who tried Nutri-System like 20 years ago. And she says one day she prepared her lunch and everything, but got interrupted and left the food sitting there for about a half hour.

When she came back to eat, the food had swelled up on the plate like a cake rising in the oven or something. And she realized that's what was happening when she ate it... it was swelling up like that in her stomach, taking up more space and making her feel full.

Except food doesn't do that normally unless it's weird chemical food. So she quit Nutri System that day. Gross.

(I will add the disclaimer that she's still fat, so I will not discount the possibility that this story may be completely fictional in an attempt to explain her fatness.)

ROYC75
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Had both of my knees replaced,and my back isn't that great. I swim and exercise at the local YMCA. You're weightless in the water and you can get a good workout. You can do resistance exercises with floats and get cardio from bicycling,jumping jacks, scissors and swimming laps.If you can't swim, get off your ass and take some lessons.You can also fit in some weightroom exercises.

We have no local YMCA or anyplace with an indoor pool.......so this is out of the question. Believe me, if there were an option,I know a pool would be ideal for me.

Frazod
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
No, I don't buy all of that hype over celebritys or ex-athletes. There are plenty of healthy ways to eat where the food does taste good.I'm just not aware of them and was asking to see if anyone here is doing something good right now.

Personally, I've been cooking myself stirfry chicken and broccolli several times a week (I vary the sauces so I don't get sick of it). Probably could be healthier without the sauces and chow mein noodles, but hey, it's better than greasy cheeseburgers. I'm also trying to lay off fried foods and junk. Been eating lighter lunches, too.

But the key is EXERCISE, and other that my walks to and from the train, I haven't got back on that horse yet. :shake:

Fish
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd agree with others mentioning swimming. Or consider a row machine. Just find something that will get your heart rate up for an hour or so. There's a lot of very low impact exercise you can still do. It really doesn't matter what, the point is simply to make your body work harder than it currently is to increase your metabolism.

Weight management is a lifestyle. It takes changes in every aspect of your life. IMO, too many people try and fail and think they're just on the wrong "program" and lose sight of the underlying ideals. There isn't any single weight loss program that will give you the results you want. You can spend thousands having other people provide your food portions/selection, but until you address the lifestyle choices that made you overweight in the first place, you're going to struggle.

I've seen a lot of friends have success with cooking healthier things they don't normally try. It can motivate you to be proactive about it, as you're cooking your own stuff instead of dreading what healthy meal you have to eat from the box. You can find out what you like and build on that. And you learn a lot in the process.

Good luck.

phisherman
01-10-2008, 04:26 PM
the main problem is people think that once they lose the weight, they can go back to eating like they did before.

01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Overpriced food. You can feed a family for the amount they expect you to spend on yourself.

Sure-Oz
01-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Like I said in the obesity thread, I recently read Eat to Live. And, boy, it packs a punch. I recommend reading it and it addresses the SBD, Zone, and Atkins. It pretty much dismantles them with a plethora of studies.
My gf loves to read and is big on being healthy and has a few health related/diet books, is this really a good book for those wanting to lose weight or maintain the healthy lifestyle like my gf? I could probably use an all in one book like this myself.

Hammock Parties
01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
We have no local YMCA or anyplace with an indoor pool.......so this is out of the question. Believe me, if there were an option,I know a pool would be ideal for me.

Your local high school doesn't have a pool?

01-10-2008, 04:38 PM
My gf loves to read and is big on being healthy and has a few health related/diet books, is this really a good book for those wanting to lose weight or maintain the healthy lifestyle like my gf? I could probably use an all in one book like this myself.
Body for Life kicks ass if you are truly DRIVEN.

Stewie
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Go to your doc and ask for the diabetic diet. It's the best diet out there (no you don't have to be diabetic). It's free and works wonders.

xbarretx
01-10-2008, 04:42 PM

http://treadmillscentral.com/images/Tony%20Little%20Gazelle%20Edge%20Freestyle.jpg

Sure-Oz
01-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Body for Life kicks ass if you are truly DRIVEN.
May try that for myself then and get her Eat to Live....

I definetly need to be motivated to work out more and eat much healthier. Lately i have eaten alot better thanks to her cooking, im forced to with her doing the grocery shopping. :banghead:

sedated
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Stop eating out for starters. Don't eat carbs after like 5pm.

When I was a fat little boy, I went to weight watchers with my mom. Ended up losing 20 pounds, and would have lost more had I not quit (I got freaked out being surrounded by fat miserable bitches at every meeting). It teaches you how to eat right, a skill that you will retain after you quit paying for it.

Unfortunately there's a lot of freedom that people can't handle, so they cheat and wonder why it doesn't work.

EyePod
01-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Weight Watchers is much better. No required payments once you do the beginning thing, but you have to have more self discipline. My mother lost 50 pounds on it and my dad lost 60... It really worked for them. Nutrisystem makes you pay for a lot of food.... I don't think it's worth it.

smittysbar
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
My parents did it. They said it sucked, was expensive, and you still had to add stuff to the meals

CoMoChief
01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes it works, but it's expensive as shit.

Read "The Abs Diet" by David Zinczenko. It's a lot cheaper and the results are faster if you follow his instructions.

ROYC75
01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Your local high school doesn't have a pool?

ROFL Not where I live........ I got a creek in my back yard that gets 2 feet deep when it rains alot, I do mean alot too, it's such a deep slope.

Stewie
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Weight Watchers is much better. No required payments once you do the beginning thing, but you have to have more self discipline. My mother lost 50 pounds on it and my dad lost 60... It really worked for them. Nutrisystem makes you pay for a lot of food.... I don't think it's worth it.

Weight Watchers is a knockoff of the diabetic diet for a fee.

Simply Red
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
weight-watchers for sure.

Calcountry
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Colon Blow, it will take off 15 pounds of hardened fecal material with one bowl.

Calcountry
01-10-2008, 08:13 PM
ROFL Not where I live........ I got a creek in my back yard that gets 2 feet deep when it rains alot, I do mean alot too, it's such a deep slope.Swimming is your best option. You have to find a pool where you can do some physical therapy.

Can you sit and get up out of a chair? Try doing a few reps of that. Of course, at your age and considering your knees, run it by your doctor first(had to add legal disclaimer.)

Any extra activity you can add to your normal routine will help.

Frazod
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Colon Blow, it will take off 15 pounds of hardened fecal material with one bowl.

Did you actually use that crap? And did you have to staple your ass to the toilet for an entire weekend?

smittysbar
01-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Did you actually use that crap? And did you have to staple your ass to the toilet for an entire weekend?

To be honest, that sounds like more fun, then to ever have to be around my inlaws again

Bwana
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
The people i know that have tried it lost weight, but as other have stated, it's expensive.

I went in for a check up for the first time in 25 years and told them to run every blood test known to man. Everyting came back great except my Cholesterol and that was through the roof. The cholesterol level was 264 and the LDL was 202. It looks like I will have to lay off the steaks a little bit and knock the dust off the heavy bag. Gravels my ass to no end.

morphius
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
My mother lost a lot of weight with them as well, and has kept it off for 4-5 years now.

Simplex3
01-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I'd agree with others mentioning swimming. Or consider a row machine.
I had a rowing machine that was hell on my knees. :shrug:

Eleazar
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I can show you one photo that will scare you into buying the Total Gym (tm)

http://www.dezignaweb.com/seenontv/images/chucknorris.jpg

JohninGpt
01-10-2008, 09:41 PM
My wife works for QVC and gets a 30% discount on all of their merchandise (no, she is not on TV, she takes stuff out of big boxes and puts it into smaller boxes). This past weekend they had a special on Nutri System so we thought we would give it a try, the boxes arrived yesterday and we are starting the diet on Monday.
With the sale price and her employee discount we are paying right at $125 per month each including shipping. Beats the hell out of the price Golic and Marino are asking.

Manila-Chief
01-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Roy for starting this thread. I saw the adds and was kinda interested. Thanks to you guys for helping me see reality. I'd already figured out that it takes more than just "the food" to get the job done ... I think exercise is the key.

Roy, I have to make a commitment and get it going to be successful. I've had success with my own version of the Atkins. It worked when I got into it and was faithful with my exrecise ... and it was only walking ... but about an hour about 5 days a week. That was while I was in a tropical country and there were few times when climate prevented the walking. I'm struggling back over here ... too much traveling (eating and exercise problems) and weather issues.

I think there are no easy ways to lose the weight. The biggest thing is the mental commitment.

ROYC75
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Our family doctor swears by the SBD, she was thick for many years and went on it and WOW :eek:. She slimmed up and became very appealing to the eyes.

She wants me to do it, I guess I need to read up on it to find more about it.

My problem is, I have to change the foods I eat, I don't eat all of this fancy meals. I'm just a plain ole boy with simple taste when it comes to foods. I'm very picky about what I eat.

This isn't going to be easy with out the exercise.........