PDA

View Full Version : How good was Roy Jones??

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Will anyone ever know? I'm watching the HBO countdown to his fight with Trinidad, and some of his highlights are just otherworldly.

The middleweight division was decimated while he was in it, so it would be nigh impossible to compare him against Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Duran, etc....

Fight fans, what do you think?

L.A. Chieffan
01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
He was the shit back in the day. He'd toy with guys and then knock em out. I honestly think in his prime he would've ****ed up anybody they threw at him.

JBucc
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I could take him with both hands tied behind his back.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
He was the shit back in the day. He'd toy with guys and then knock em out. I honestly think in his prime he would've ****ed up anybody they threw at him.

I'd love to see the 1994 Roy Jones fight the 1983 Marvin Hagler.

L.A. Chieffan
01-10-2008, 11:22 PM

It'd break every pay per view record known to man.

ceebz
01-10-2008, 11:22 PM

I was just going to say that. However, I think Jones' speed would be too much for the Marvelous one.

kcxiv
01-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Out of all the boxing talents that have ever been there. I think he's in the top 5 no doubt. He had good power, he was amazingly fast and had great stamina in his prime.

Roy Jones in his prime could compete and probably beat anyone in any era.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I was just going to say that, however, I think Jones' speed would be too much for the Marvelous one.

I think you're probably right. Sugar Ray frustrated the piss out of Hagler, and Jones is even faster than him with a lot more punching power.

I think he'd probably kill Duran in no time. I don't think that Hearnes would match up that well against him, but Leonard might give him an interesting fight, but their styles are pretty similar so it might be dull.

Buck
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
He was what Floyd Mayweather Jr. was before Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I heard that Social Security was sponsoring this next fight though.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
He was what Floyd Mayweather Jr. was before Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I heard that Social Security was sponsoring this next fight though.

Floyd Mayweather didn't have the knockout power of Jones, IMO.

pr_capone
01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I hated that fight.

Trinidad simply could do NOTHING against him.... and Trinidad was DAMN good.

Regardless of the outcome of that fight... Trinidad remains my favorite boxer to date.

LOVED it when he beat De LaHoya. Cocky mother f00ker.

Buck
01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Floyd Mayweather didn't have the knockout power of Jones, IMO.

That is true.

Also, Roy Jones Jr. is a better rapper.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
That is true.

Also, Roy Jones Jr. is a better rapper.

And a better shooting guard.

Buck
01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2f/Body_head_vol1.jpg

BWillie
01-11-2008, 02:26 AM
I still can't get over how Antonio Tarver knocked him the hell out. I did not see that coming. Maybe a decision win..mayyyybe, but a knock out. That was a huge upset.

For shits and giggles, here is the mighty one with some guns. Maybe he should of brought these to the Tarver fight.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6d/Jones%2C_Roy_Jr_%282007%29.JPG/200px-Jones%2C_Roy_Jr_%282007%29.JPG

AustinChief
01-11-2008, 03:11 AM
This is what killed Larry Holmes... no one was worth fighting when Larry was in his prime...

Call me crazy.. but Larry Holmes had the speed of Ali and (almost) the power of Foreman... LH was the last GREAT Heavyweight...

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2008, 09:15 AM
This is what killed Larry Holmes... no one was worth fighting when Larry was in his prime...

Call me crazy.. but Larry Holmes had the speed of Ali and (almost) the power of Foreman... LH was the last GREAT Heavyweight...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-XVCW95nHU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m-XVCW95nHU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Roy at his prime is almost unbeatable. When his speed came down to earth with age. He was merely pedestrian.

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 09:20 AM

Tyson in his prime would have killed LH in his. NOT defending or promoting Mikey. Just an opinion.

Chiefs_5627
01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Tyson in his prime would have killed LH in his. NOT defending or promoting Mikey. Just an opinion.

I disagree, Tyson has some serious power and speed but he always teed off on club fighters to make him look better than he actually was imo. He always took way too many shots and a great fighter wouldve wore him down. Just my 2.

stonedstooge
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Roy was a tough f***er in his day but after Tarver took it to him, he hasn't been the same. The last fight of his I watched he ran around the ring like a pussy trying to keep from getting hit. It was embarrassing and the announcers were even talking about how pitiful it was. I think he's done and won't put up much of a fight. Some guys are like that. Get shit kicked once and its over. I'm interested to see how Hatton comes back after his last fight. I really didn't think Mayweather had it in him to take the attack mode style but will give him credit. He did well on the inside. But Hatton didn't appear ready or right that night. I know he was slower than Mayweather but I had seen a lot of his fights against faster opponents. Hope he comes back and kicks Mayweathers ass in the second fight. I think they took the rematch clause. Roy should have quit two years ago.

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I disagree, Tyson has some serious power and speed but he always teed off on club fighters to make him look better than he actually was imo. He always took way too many shots and a great fighter wouldve wore him down. Just my 2.
How old was LH when the two of them fought? I know Tyson was about 19-20. Tyson's style really created problems for talll long armed fighters. He would rush in close, and swing upward hooks. Almost impossible to survive for more than a couple rounds. But that's young hungry Mike, not crazy, lazy, rich, crackhead Mike.

Chiefs_5627
01-11-2008, 09:42 AM
How old was LH when the two of them fought? I know Tyson was about 19-20. Tyson's style really created problems for talll long armed fighters. He would rush in close, and swing upward hooks. Almost impossible to survive for more than a couple rounds. But that's young hungry Mike, not crazy, lazy, rich, crackhead Mike.

He was pushing 40, something like 39 i think. Tyson was 22 or 23.

ceebz
01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Tyson in his prime would have killed LH in his. NOT defending or promoting Mikey. Just an opinion.Like he killed Buster Douglas? Douglas was a Holmes clone, just not as good as the original. After Holmes survived Tyson's initial flurries, Iron Mike would've been no match for Larry's jab.

El Jefe
01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Like he killed Buster Douglas? Douglas was a Holmes clone, just not as good as the original. After Holmes survived Tyson's initial flurries, Iron Mike would've been no match for Larry's jab.

Yep he would.

Chiefs_5627
01-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Like he killed Buster Douglas? Douglas was a Holmes clone, just not as good as the original. After Holmes survived Tyson's initial flurries, Iron Mike would've been no match for Larry's jab.

Agreed

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Buster beat an out of shape confused rich crazy lazy fighter. Not a hungry pitt bull that Tyson was in his prime. Watch the fight between the two. I know Larry was old, but you can't use the jab when Tyson is grinding up against you swinging upwards. There's not enough room in the ring to get away from him.

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Like he killed Buster Douglas? Douglas was a Holmes clone, just not as good as the original. IF Holmes survived Tyson's initial flurries, Iron Mike would've been no match for Larry's jab.
FYP

ceebz
01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Buster beat an out of shape confused rich crazy lazy fighter. Not a hungry pitt bull that Tyson was in his prime. Watch the fight between the two. I know Larry was old, but you can't use the jab when Tyson is grinding up against you swinging upwards. There's not enough room in the ring to get away from him.

Out of shape? I will agree that Tyson's corner was in disarray, but, he got handled in that fight. Tyson had annihilated Spinks, Bruno and the "Truth" in the 18 months leading up to the fight. "Out of his prime?" He was just 24 when he fought Douglas.
:rolleyes:

Micjones
01-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Roy Jones was and is still one of the best fighters of all time.

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Out of shape? I will agree that Tyson's corner was in disarray, but, he got handled in that fight. Tyson had annihilated Spinks, Bruno and the "Truth" in the 18 months leading up to the fight. "Out of his prime?" He was just 24 when he fought Douglas.
:rolleyes:
He did not look like the same guy. He was looking past Buster, and got his ass kicked for it.
Who did LH ever beat? and please don't say Ali.

ceebz
01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
He did not look like the same guy. He was looking past Buster, and got his ass kicked for it.
Who did LH ever beat? and please don't say Ali.

His fight against Norton was awesome. Take a look at Tyson's resume, he didn't really have any impressive wins either, unless you want to count his fight against Spinks, where the Jinx looked like he was gonna pee his pants before he even entered the ring.

beach tribe
01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
His fight against Norton was awesome. Take a look at Tyson's resume, he didn't really have any impressive wins either, unless you want to count his fight against Spinks, where the Jinx looked like he was gonna pee his pants before he even entered the ring.
Agreed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
First of all, I love fight talk.

Secondly, Tyson was also medicated to hell in that Douglas fight. He was being treated for depression and the clap, and I think that took its toll on him as well.

Tyson with Cus D'Amato is probably one of the best heavyweights of all time.

Tyson without D'Amato was a pedestrian fighter who lacked drive.

RNR
01-11-2008, 07:34 PM
First of all, I love fight talk.

Secondly, Tyson was also medicated to hell in that Douglas fight. He was being treated for depression and the clap, and I think that took its toll on him as well.

Tyson with Cus D'Amato is probably one of the best heavyweights of all time.

Tyson without D'Amato was a pedestrian fighter who lacked drive.
Signing with King was his undoing, I also think Kevin Rooney was a huge part of keeping him in check. All and all a sad story he could have been one of the greats. The fact he is a women beating rapist thug makes me feel alright about how it all turned out.