PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Understand the Future

Tribal Warfare
01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/01/11/gretz_understand_the_future/

GRETZ: Understand the Future
Jan 11, 2008, 8:24:20 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

If you are a fan of the red and gold, then there’s plenty to ponder as you sit and watch the quadruple-header of NFL action in the playoffs this weekend…

For instance, could the Chiefs be playing on this weekend a year from now?

Absolutely. It happens every year in the NFL.

Over the last five seasons, on average half of the teams that made the post-season last year did not make the playoffs the next season. This year it was six teams. The previous two years it was seven teams that did not return. There were five new faces in 2004 and the 2003 playoffs had eight new faces.

In this decade, the number is again six changes per season, or half the field.

This year the Chiefs, New York Jets, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Chicago did not make the post-season after being part of the playoffs in 2006. The Ravens, Eagles, Saints and Bears all won division titles last season. This year they finished fourth, fourth, third and fourth in their divisions.

Those clubs were replaced by teams like Tampa Bay; just last year the Buccaneers finished the season 4-12. And by Washington; the Redskins were 5-11 in the 2006 season.

This season, Green Bay made the playoffs with a 13-3 record. Last season they were 8-8 and the season before, they finished 4-12. In two years they went from four victories to 13 and the playoffs. Tennessee made the playoffs this year with a 10-6 record. Last season they were 8-8 and the season before, they finished 4-12. In two years they went from four victories to 10 and the playoffs.

Both Green Bay and Tennessee did it by building their roster through the NFL Draft, which is the direction the Chiefs plan to take in 2008.

So, it’s not impossible that the Chiefs could make a jump into the playoffs next year.

Is it likely? Now that’s the better question.

Understand this about what the Chiefs – especially Herm Edwards – are trying to build at Arrowhead. They want a team that makes the playoffs every year and more importantly, they want a team that has the chance to win in January. The Chiefs most recent visits to the playoffs in 2003 and 2006 were simply as participants. They didn’t have a chance to actually contend for the championships because both of those teams were badly flawed. In ‘03 it was a weak defense that doomed their chances; last year it was a weak offense.

To reach the level of talent and production that would make them a real contender for a title may take more than the 2008 off-season can provide this franchise. The offense and special teams must improve dramatically and the defense must continue its growth.

For all that to happen in the next 12 months is a reach. To get this job done right, to build this team not as just a team that plays in January, but wins in January will need more than a one-year turnaround.

What they don’t want is a flash in the pan season, then a fall back to the middle of the pack. Take New Orleans; the Saints were 3-13 in 2005, then went 10-6 and played in the NFC Championship Game in 2006. This year, they fell to 7-9.

The Chiefs do not want to be Tampa Bay. The Bucs were 5-11 in 2004, then went 11-5 the next season. They fell back to 4-12 in 2006 and then this year won the NFC South with a 9-7 record. That’s a roller coaster to stay away from.

Here’s the statistic that gnaws at the folks at Arrowhead: of the league’s 32 teams, 25 have won games in the playoffs during this decade. Two of the seven teams that have not are Cleveland and Houston, expansion teams that began play in 1999 and 2002. The Browns have gone to the playoffs but have not won.

Of the other five teams, the longest drought without a post-season victory belongs to Cincinnati, as the Bengals haven’t won since January of 1991. It was January 1992 when Detroit won its last game in the playoffs, January 1994 for the Chiefs, January 1997 for the Dallas Cowboys and January 1999 for the Arizona Cardinals.

Getting back to the playoffs isn’t the goal. Winning in January is the prize.

HemiEd
01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Its all good, please renew your season tickets.

Bwana
01-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Dear Gretz: I don't give a crap if the Chiefs make it to the playoffs if they can't win a playoff game. In order to do that, the have to totally rebuild, not try to stuff a few band-aids in key positions to fill the seats of Arrowhead.

Otter
01-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Dear Gretz: I don't give a crap if the Chiefs make it to the playoffs if they can't win a playoff game. In order to do that, the have to totally rebuild, not try to stuff a few band-aids in key positions to fill the seats of Arrowhead.

Dear Greg,

Much like hitting on 20 when the dealer is showing a 5, it can happen, it's just not very probable.

Don't forget to get your tickets early and pick up some Chiefs Gear for the kids!!!

Thanks Buddy,

Carl

If you never seen the movie Slapshot get it right away. It's a facsimile of this team and it's good for a couple laughs.

Chiefnj2
01-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Building through the draft and developing young players is a great idea. Too bad the team didn't make a full fledge effort to do that the past two years. Excuse us if we aren't quite sold on Herm's drafts and development at this point.

StcChief
01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Gretz, whatever you and Carl are smokin' :bong:
send some over

pikesome
01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Are Gretz articles Planet bulletin board material? Because every time I read them I get more and more irritated with him and the damn team. :(

FloridaMan88
01-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Gretz breast-feeds the entire Wargarbage Illustrated staff

stonedstooge
01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh Lord here we go again. The false hope that Carl and Herm are going to get us in the playoffs every year and we are going to contend in those playoffs every year. Clark. You got Peterson's balls pinched with a pair of vice grips? Go ahead and yank them off. Or Carl give it up. Be a man. Your goon writers aren't going to change anyones mind of the reality that this team is headed nowhere under its current leadership. All these other teams are interviewing replacement coaches and doing something. All that comes from Chiefs management is "Trust us" we have a secret plan that Einstein Edwards and I designed and we will again return to mediocracy maybe even by next year. Is Gretz going to be writing this crap all Spring? I'm sure when it gets to FA and draft time we will be hearing the same crap about it being a wonderful pick that will put us over the top and make us contenders. What a bunch of bull.

Bob Dole
01-11-2008, 09:52 AM
One Arrowhead Drive: The proud sponsor of "Maybe next year!" Since 1971.

Frazod
01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
And sometimes teams that sucked during the previous season will continue to suck during the following season, especially if they are horribly managed and coached, BLOB. 4321

Chief Chief
01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I totally expected this type of article to come out which basically says there are other teams out there that are more playoff-deficient than the Chiefs. It happens every year we don't win the Super Bowl.

pikesome
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM
One Arrowhead Drive: The proud sponsor of "Maybe next year!" Since 1971.

They're not even offering us "maybe next year" really. More like "When Carl's 5 year plan is complete, we'll be l33t". Douches.

siberian khatru
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM
The Chiefs do not want to be Tampa Bay. The Bucs were 5-11 in 2004, then went 11-5 the next season. They fell back to 4-12 in 2006 and then this year won the NFC South with a 9-7 record. That’s a roller coaster to stay away from.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to ride a roller-coaster right after winning a Super Bowl. Let's be consistently mediocre, rather than actually win something once.

Tell you what, Carl. You win a Super Bowl next year, and you can have a 5-year contract extension and ride the roller-coaster the entire time, and I won't bitch.

Eleazar
01-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Gretz breast-feeds the entire Wargarbage Illustrated staff

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Eleazar
01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Basically, scare tactics - scaring season ticket holders, that they might miss something historic... like the Chiefs actually winning a playoff game.

Memo to Gretz: Nobody cares that we made the playoffs last year because we looked like complete fools. We never had a chance. We've never had a chance since 1993. Next year is not going to be any different. The franchise is in the worst state it's been in since the early 1970s, someone has well said.

STFU and quit making excuses for lack of results.

Hammock Parties
01-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Getting back to the playoffs isn’t the goal. Winning in January is the prize.

And that's why we raised ticket prices!

Baby Lee
01-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Basically, scare tactics - scaring season ticket holders, that they might miss something historic... like the Chiefs actually winning a playoff game.

Memo to Gretz: Nobody cares that we made the playoffs last year because we looked like complete fools. We never had a chance. We've never had a chance since 1993. Next year is not going to be any different. The franchise is in the worst state it's been in since the early 1970s, someone has well said.

STFU and quit making excuses for lack of results.
If we didn't have a chance in 95 or 97, why is it such a source of angst?
Seems to me both were close losses, so there was a chance. And in 97 it came down multiple times to an atrocious call by the refs that more than decided the difference.

Eleazar
01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
If we didn't have a chance in 95 or 97, why is it such a source of angst?
Seems to me both were close losses, so there was a chance. And in 97 it came down multiple times to an atrocious call by the refs that more than decided the difference.

I mean that in the sense of neither team being IMO a real contender for the super bowl.

Baby Lee
01-11-2008, 10:39 AM
I mean that in the sense of neither team being IMO a real contender for the super bowl.
Indy came within a near catch at the end of the game of going to the SB, the Chiefs were the Bronco's toughest playoff opponent.
Plus, we would've gotten Pittsburgh at home each time, instead of the Colts and Broncos going on the road.

Frazod
01-11-2008, 10:40 AM

We were the best team in the league in 1997. It took an unholy combination of Marty's stupidity, the Rat's blatant cheating and an epic fist job by the refs for the shit-sucking Broncos to beat us, and still they only barely beat us.

We haven't had a real chance since then.

King_Chief_Fan
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
an article to give Herm Edwards a couple more years of free pass.

milkman
01-12-2008, 08:16 AM
We were the best team in the league in 1997. It took an unholy combination of Marty's stupidity, the Rat's blatant cheating and an epic fist job by the refs for the shit-sucking Broncos to beat us, and still they only barely beat us.

We haven't had a real chance since then.

Marty was the HC.

We never had a chance.

BigMeatballDave
01-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I'd much rather have another 4-12 season so we could get another top 5 pick. Having a fluke 'good' season and Carl will think we are close to competing, then he'll sign a bunch of has-been veterans.

FringeNC
01-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Another brilliant piece by Gretz -- as if the other 31 teams don't want to be consistently good, and win games in January.

All teams try to build through the draft. There is no new strategy here. Gretz is simply pleading with the fans that despite the last 20 years, Carl is going to get it right this time.

The NFL is a competitive league. If you want to be consistently good, it takes more than wanting it to make it happen. You have to be able to out-draft guys like Scott Pioli and Bill Polian, and then have great coaches on top of that. The assumption that Gretz neglected to mention, and it's a huge assumption, is that Carl and Herm are two of the best at their jobs in the business.

milkman
01-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Another brilliant piece by Gretz -- as if the other 31 teams don't want to be consistently good, and win games in January.

All teams try to build through the draft. There is no new strategy here. Gretz is simply pleading with the fans that despite the last 20 years, Carl is going to get it right this time.

The NFL is a competitive league. If you want to be consistently good, it takes more than wanting it to make it happen. You have to be able to out-draft guys like Scott Pioli and Bill Polian, and then have great coaches on top of that. The assumption that Gretz neglected to mention, and it's a huge assumption, is that Carl and Herm are two of the best at their jobs in the business.

Assumption?

Hell, I'd call that a bald-faced lie.

cdcox
01-12-2008, 08:57 AM
"Getting back to the playoffs isn’t the goal. Winning in January is the prize."

This statement is a complete contradition to the idea behind his "Why can't Carl do it again" piece.

the Talking Can
01-12-2008, 09:26 AM
DUH

Gretz is only a decade behind the fanbase....but talks down to them anyway....

TEX
01-12-2008, 10:06 AM
All this "building for the future" BS just buys Herm more time. Now, after backing into the "rebuild" - they're all for it. ROFL

Unfortunatley, Herm's here until his contract expires. But at least we're more than half way through it now. :thumb:

milkman
01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
All this "building for the future" BS just buys Herm more time. Now, after backing into the "rebuild" - they're all for it. ROFL

Herman ****ing Edwards sucks ass, clearly, but in fairness, he did seem to be pushing for that rebuild from the start of last offseason.

Carl handcuffed him.

Now that Carl has backed into, the problem is that neither one of them knows how the **** to get it done.

PHOG
01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
That clown is on espn news now.

Halfcan
01-12-2008, 11:50 AM

:LOL:

kcxiv
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Building through the draft and developing young players is a great idea. Too bad the team didn't make a full fledge effort to do that the past two years. Excuse us if we aren't quite sold on Herm's drafts and development at this point.I think his draft picks have been fine. I just dont think Herm the coach is quite with how the game is being played today.

Mr. Laz
01-12-2008, 01:23 PM
And sometimes teams that sucked during the previous season will continue to suck during the following season, especially if they are horribly managed and coached, BLOB. 4321
finally something we can agree about and get behind. :clap:

Rain Man
01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Shut up, Gretz.

blueballs
01-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I had heard that the refs hated DV and his coaches
called them arrogant
looks like that arrogant either trickled up or down

FAX
01-12-2008, 03:22 PM
I had heard that the refs hated DV and his coaches