PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful KC kitty has PKD.

Frankie
01-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Fariba and I are devastated. We just got the bad news from the vet. Some of you may remember I needed him transported from KC to Des Moines. alnorth did me the kind favor of bringing him. Now it turns out that he has Polycystic Kidney Disease. He is a great affectionate cat and has built himself a home in our hearts.

Just wanted to share this with you as I'm not having a good day. :( :( :( :(

Phobia
01-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Does this make them inedible or something?

DeezNutz
01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear this. Animals make much better friends than most people.

Demonpenz
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
there's more than one way to skin him. try going around the kidneys

Skip Towne
01-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Does this make them inedible or something?
Thanks for your compassion.

gblowfish
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
That's really sad. You've given him a good life. The bad thing about pets is that we invariably out live them. Hang in there, best thoughts are with you today.
GB

Lzen
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Is that from drinking antifreeze?

Ok, that wasn't very nice of me. Sry about that, Frankie. Don't be devastated. Pets are only with us a short time. It's tough, but we have to move on. Perhaps get a new cat?

Adept Havelock
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry to hear it. Losing a pet is seldom easy (at least for me).

Fire Me Boy!
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Frankie
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
.... Sry about that, Frankie. Don't be devastated. Pets are only with us a short time. It's tough, but we have to move on. Perhaps get a new cat?
We've had him for a few months only. But he is such a great cat that it feels like we've had him forever. Couldn't dream of a more affectionate and better behaved kitty than this one.

blueballs
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
You need to get out
and get some pu..
ah...get out and about

morphius
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat man.

FAX
01-11-2008, 01:33 PM
My sympathies, Mr. Frankie. Is this a terminal disease?

FAX

Chiefs_5627
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Sorry to hear it. :(

Mr. Laz
01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
:deevee:

sorry

Frankie
01-11-2008, 01:54 PM
My sympathies, Mr. Frankie. Is this a terminal disease?

FAX
Evidently so. It's apparently inheritted from a parent with the same disease. About 50% of offsprings will develop it, usually between 3-7 years of age. Puya is just around 3 yrs old. Very healthy until 48 hrs ago.

FAX
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Evidently so. It's apparently inheritted from a parent with the same disease. About 50% of offsprings will develop it, usually between 3-7 years of age. Puya is just around 3 yrs old. Very healthy until 48 hrs ago.

Well, crap. That's just terrible, Mr. Frankie.

It's probably too early to discuss practicalities, but you purchased this cat, did you not? From a breeder?

FAX

journeyscarab
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat, he certainly is beautiful (or handsome if you prefer). Cats rock.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-11-2008, 02:01 PM
If you have the money you could get him a kidney transplant, just go to the pound and adopt a cat, take it home, bash its head with a hammer and rush it to the vet with your cat and tell the friggin vet to get with it. You might want to kill the cat in the Vets parking lot so it will be a really fresh kidney.

phisherman
01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
sorry to hear about your cat...

if we lost one of ours, my wife would probably lose it

Bwana
01-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear that Frankie.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I have 2 cats - had to have one put to sleep last year for cancer....we made the appointment a week in advance - BIG mistake - for a week I had to look at this poor cat that had grown up with our kids, knowing the precise time and method of it's death...I would say one of the toughest weeks of my life.

Good luck....hang in there - we are not all sarcastic pricks.

mikey23545
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Damn, Frankie....I am very sorry to hear that.

chasedude
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm an animal lover too Frankie. They provide unconditional love unlike most humans I know. They don't give you sarcastic remarks. I know what it's like to lose a family pet.

phisherman
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
while looking at some info about this, how serious is it?

i've ready that some cats with smaller, less serious cysts can live for a long time

Frankie
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, crap. That's just terrible, Mr. Frankie.

It's probably too early to discuss practicalities, but you purchased this cat, did you not? From a breeder?

FAX
I think she was maybe just an amateur breeder, in that she had purchased this cat from the original breeder. I talked to her since our vet wanted to know about kidney history of Puya's parents. She called me back after the original breeder admitted that Puya's mother (though still living) has PKD.

HonestChieffan
01-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Bummer.

A good cat is fun. Sorry to hear about yours for sure.

Frankie
01-11-2008, 03:48 PM
while looking at some info about this, how serious is it?

i've ready that some cats with smaller, less serious cysts can live for a long time
The vet is supposed to call us back later today, but she didn't sound very optimistic, given the terribly high kidney numbers from Puya's blood test. I'm holding onto a very narrow string of hope that this is controllable.

Frankie
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm an animal lover too Frankie. They provide unconditional love unlike most humans I know. They don't give you sarcastic remarks. I know what it's like to lose a family pet.
Thanks dude. I've had many pets, but some of them just have the manners and behaviors that endears them to you more than others. Puya was acquired to replace Na-ana who passed on also from kidney failure. But I accepted her death a lot better than I'm taking this. Na-ana was getting old, you know. I can't believe that I have actually broken into tears a few times today for Puya.

phisherman
01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
well i'm pulling for that cat..

we've got three and love them to death.

FAX
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
I think she was maybe just an amateur breeder, in that she had purchased this cat from the original breeder. I talked to her since our vet wanted to know about kidney history of Puya's parents. She called me back after the original breeder admitted that Puya's mother (though still living) has PKD.

That's what I was wondering. We once had a similar problem with a lab puppy and Parvo. We had to get our money back from the breeder and I almost went over the edge when I learned that they knew there was a problem at their kennel and didn't bother to tell anyone. Not cool.

By the way, Mr. Frankie, it sounds as though you have a great vet. Congratulations. Under these circumstances, that's comforting.

FAX

Frazod
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat, Frankie.

bowener
01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
If you have the money you could get him a kidney transplant, just go to the pound and adopt a cat, take it home, bash its head with a hammer and rush it to the vet with your cat and tell the friggin vet to get with it. You might want to kill the cat in the Vets parking lot so it will be a really fresh kidney.

My God! Its both horrific and genius... jesus christ man...

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
My God! Its both horrific and genius... jesus christ man...
Fill me in on the genius part.

bowener
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Frankie,

I too love cats, and I thought I could cheer you up some with some nice cat macros...

bowener
01-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Fill me in on the genius part.

Its a pretty damn cheap kidney... and no good vet would let some good kidneys go to waste.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
It's funny - the "tell-me-when-its-over" JPG - one of my cats often sleeps with their face buried in the pillow/cushion. Keeping the nose warm, I would think.

mikey23545
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks dude. I've had many pets, but some of them just have the manners and behaviors that endears them to you more than others. Puya was acquired to replace Na-ana who passed on also from kidney failure. But I accepted her death a lot better than I'm taking this. Na-ana was getting old, you know. I can't believe that I have actually broken into tears a few times today for Puya.

We are sure as hell as far apart as possible on matters of the body politic, but on this matter I wish you and yours all the best...

Here's to the best possible news from the vet tonight!!

ChiefaRoo
01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
We've had him for a few months only. But he is such a great cat that it feels like we've had him forever. Couldn't dream of a more affectionate and better behaved kitty than this one.

So your cat wears glasses and smokes the houka?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM

If you're gonna be a piece of shit, you might as well be a half ton of elephant crap rather than a few mouse turds.

Jesus Christ, man :shake:

teedubya
01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your cat, bro.

CoMoChief
01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Damn thing looks evil as shit.

God damn do I ever hate cats. But losing any pet can be heartbreaking, especially one who really had a big impact on the family. I'm was an only child growing up, my parents got divorced, the only thing outside my friends to keep me company was my dog. The day me and my dad had to put him down was the saddest day of my life. I'm 24 yrs old 6'3 225 lbs and I cried like a little girl for hours, just couldn't stop.

There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about him. I miss him more than anything really. I wish he was still here.

Phobia
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
sorry to hear about your cat...

if we lost one of ours, my wife would probably lose it

Your one cat is the coolest cat I've ever met. If I weren't allergic, I'd try to steal that cat.

ChiefaRoo
01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Your one cat is the coolest cat I've ever met. If I weren't allergic, I'd try to bone that cat.

PYP

Skip Towne
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM

God damn do I ever hate cats. But losing any pet can be heartbreaking, especially one who really had a big impact on the family. I'm was an only child growing up, my parents got divorced, the only thing outside my friends to keep me company was my dog. The day me and my dad had to put him down was the saddest day of my life. I'm 24 yrs old 6'3 225 lbs and I cried like a little girl for hours, just couldn't stop.

There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about him. I miss him more than anything really. I wish he was still here. Him? That pic is of her.

phisherman
01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Your one cat is the coolest cat I've ever met. If I weren't allergic, I'd try to steal that cat.

he likes you too phil

just one more hand to maul

cdcox
01-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Sorry to hear, Frankie. We've got a great cat right now, and I'd hate to lose him.

MadMax
01-12-2008, 02:38 AM

Heartless POS!!!! Did ya think that was a " cute " comment??? Whatta Dick!

MadMax
01-12-2008, 02:40 AM
there's more than one way to skin him. try going around the kidneys

Yet another LAME attempt to be " cute " WTF?

Ebolapox
01-12-2008, 02:49 AM
dude, that sucks. my apologies on your kitty, and hopefully things turn out well. I prefer cats to a lot of the people I know.

C-Mac
01-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Frankie, clean out your PM box.

Frankie
01-12-2008, 01:33 PM
That's what I was wondering. We once had a similar problem with a lab puppy and Parvo. We had to get our money back from the breeder and I almost went over the edge when I learned that they knew there was a problem at their kennel and didn't bother to tell anyone. Not cool.

By the way, Mr. Frankie, it sounds as though you have a great vet. Congratulations. Under these circumstances, that's comforting.

FAX
Oh, Dr. Tammy is just great. A lot of folks want to switch vets and go to her. But she is very popular and scheduled out. We are lucky she could let us in a few years ago.

Frankie
01-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Just an update for those of you who are interested. There is a bit of MAYBE good news. His vet called last evening and told us that because one of suspicions was the possibility of simple blockage, she actually "massaged Puya's penis" (OK pour on the sick posts ;)) and managed to squeeze the "plug" out. He then peed ("a lot") and discharged some blood and crystalline, slightly raising the hope that he may not have PKD after all. Today they called and told us that he is actually eating and looking a lot better. But his wiring seems to be crossed. He seems to want to lie down in his litter box and pee on the towel they gave him to nest on! But he is home for the weekend with instructions and medications. Monday morning he goes back in for more tests and progress monitoring. The fact that his mother has PKD still worries me a lot. But at least this opens a hopeful door. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Send positive thoughts. Puya is a great and lovable little creature.

FAX
01-12-2008, 01:49 PM
So many responses, so little time.

FAX

MTG#10
01-12-2008, 01:51 PM
When I first read the title of this thread I thought your cat had Parkinson's Disease. I guess I'll save my Michael J. Fox joke for another time...

Frankie
01-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Frankie,

I too love cats, and I thought I could cheer you up some with some nice cat macros...
LMAO
Thanks bowener. (BTW, that's a great userid)

phisherman
01-12-2008, 02:01 PM
glad to hear the possibly good news frankie

Rain Man
01-12-2008, 02:03 PM
I hope your kitty gets better soon, frankie. One of mine is sitting next to me right now, and I know that cats are the apex of evolution or creation or whatever system people believe in.

FAX
01-12-2008, 02:07 PM
For the first time in my life, I wish I had PKD.

FAX

Frankie
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
For the first time in my life, I wish I had PKD.

FAX
LMAO Somebody had to start.

Frankie
01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Frankie, clean out your PM box.
Done. (Partially, anyway.)

chagrin
01-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Is this a definite death sentence? I mean, if you've the funds, you can treat the disorder although I know it won't cure it. How long can you prolong death or great pain?

chagrin
01-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Wait, I just caught that other post, so there was a urinary blockage?

Well that's better than the PKD.

gblowfish
01-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Keep us updated, hope Mr Kitty will be better soon.
Bet you won't have a hard time taking him to the vet now, eh?
He'll be puttin on old spice...

Rain Man
01-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Keep us updated, hope Mr Kitty will be better soon.
Bet you won't have a hard time taking him to the vet now, eh?
He'll be puttin on old spice...

Hopefully he at least bought her a can of Friskies first.

Frankie
01-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Wait, I just caught that other post, so there was a urinary blockage?

Well that's better than the PKD.
PKD hasn't been ruled out by any means yet. Blood test in about two weeks will determine it.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-12-2008, 03:57 PM
stem cell therapy.

saw it on nightline couple of days ago used on dogs and horses.

Frankie
01-12-2008, 03:59 PM
stem cell therapy.

saw it on nightline couple of days ago used on dogs and horses.
Do tell, please.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-13-2008, 09:46 AM

There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about him. I miss him more than anything really. I wish he was still here.

Was that a picture of you throwing your dog in the water. That's not a very good way to put your dog down.

C-Mac
01-13-2008, 10:10 AM
PKD hasn't been ruled out by any means yet. Blood test in about two weeks will determine it.

I have had male cats that had similar problems and it was the urinary crystals. Mucus, crystals and even tiny bladder stones can clump together to form an actual plug in the narrow male cat urethra. It only takes about 24 hrs before urinary toxins will started to build up in his the system. It really is quite a common problem and I suspect that your kit will likely be just fine if indeed he had this blockage.

CoMoChief
01-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Was that a picture of you throwing your dog in the water. That's not a very good way to put your dog down.

Heh, no he really loved the pool, which is odd because Schnauzers are supposed to hate water, and is why we got one once we put the pool in because my parents didn't want the dog in the pool.

Well that plan all went to hell one day when he just decided to jump on a raft, then decided he liked it and then started to jump in after us.

Then it just got to the point where he would jump off the board, then I decided to have him do it on command, which was kinda cool, there was a walk in stairway we had so if he ever got tired he would climb up on a raft or just walk out of the pool on the stairway.

Summer days were a lot of fun with him. He used to swim and play with us neighbor kids for hours and hours. Once he got older around 11-12 he stopped jumping off the board and really only would jump in if he got hot.

CoMoChief
01-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Him? That pic is of her.
Nope it's a dude.

The bleached out stains on the base of the fence in the background proves that. He marked his territory around the perimeter of the yard like that. It pissed my dad off but what can you do really.

Like you, bitches squat to pee. This dog clearly lifts his leg and pisses standing up like a real man.

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Do tell, please.

Here's vid. go to their website for official story. www.ABC.com

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Nightline_Stem_cell_treatment_for_pets_0110.html

Frankie
01-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Here's vid. go to their website for official story. www.ABC.com

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Nightline_Stem_cell_treatment_for_pets_0110.html
Thanks.

phisherman
01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
i know the blood tests aren't for a while, but is the cat getting better as far as eating and stuff?

Frankie
01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
i know the blood tests aren't for a while, but is the cat getting better as far as eating and stuff?
He has improved a lot. His tail is up and acts like nothing has happened. We were convinced that we would have to put him to sleep as early as last weekend. But he is up and around and eating like a Great White. Can't believe it. Evidently it was urinary obstruction. Though he still may have damage to his kidneys and in fact has a 50% chance of having PKD. Last week all signs were promonantly pointing at PKD. We are keeping our fingers croassed.

phisherman
01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
good to see that he is regaining strength and eating normally.

surely a pretty positive sign.

Phobia
01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Glad your kitty is doing better, bud.

Frazod
01-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Sounds like that penis massage worked wonders. :D

phisherman
01-18-2008, 10:04 AM

i can't think of a time when one of those DOESN'T work wonders

Frazod
01-18-2008, 10:07 AM
i can't think of a time when one of those DOESN'T work wonders

Word :rockon:

Frankie
01-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Here's a cell phone pic of Puya from two nights ago:

Frankie
01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Either that or the $322 check. ;)

Iowanian
01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
So you've had this cat for the lifespan of a grasshopper.......

I can see why its terribly devestating.

Maybe Doctor Kavorkian can be of assistance?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-18-2008, 12:48 PM
This just in, cat wondered out into street, flat as a pancake, story over.

vailpass
01-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Guys that are cat people just crack me up. I can kind of see it for a woman but a guy cat lover?
It's like having feelings for a clay pigeon or any other of God's designated targets.
Hilarious.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Guys that are cat people just crack me up. I can kind of see it for a woman but a guy cat lover?
It's like having feelings for a clay pigeon or any other of God's designated targets.
Hilarious.

You should be more sympathetic that was just rude, someones gonna give you neg rep and ruin your day!

vailpass
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
You should be more sympathetic that was just rude, someones gonna give you neg rep and ruin your day!
LMAO Ohs nos not NEG REP. You are right, I need to be more sensitive. ;)

I really wasn't being unfeeling, people can like whatever they want. It just strikes me as funny when any guy is a cat person. That seems like a spot reserved for kids and chicks.

Phobia
01-18-2008, 01:09 PM

I really wasn't being unfeeling, people can like whatever they want. It just strikes me as funny when any guy is a cat person. That seems like a spot reserved for kids and chicks.
I'm totally a cat person. Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Demonpenz
01-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I don't see anything wrong with guys who are cat people. Cats are smart and are pretty good athletes. If i had a pet in my apt I would have a cat. just enough so something is there, but not enough where I have to give it attention all the time. Cat's seem boring sometimes but man if you actually have one they do some crazy shit sometime

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Quikslurpers cat used to smoke pot and get himself lost for days on end.

Frazod
01-18-2008, 02:12 PM

Cats are generally very perceptive creatures. If cats don't like you, perhaps it's because you're a f#cking asshole.

Or maybe there's some reason. :)

Frankie
01-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Hilarious.
Tell it to this guy.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4213/blofeld3ad.jpg

vailpass
01-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Cats are generally very perceptive creatures. If cats don't like you, perhaps it's because you're a f#cking asshole.

Or maybe there's some reason. :)

Tell it to this guy.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4213/blofeld3ad.jpg

LMAO I stand corrected.

Here's hoping your pet gets better Frankie.

Frankie
01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
LMAO I stand corrected.

Here's hoping your pet gets better Frankie.
Good. I knew that was an offer you couldn't refuse.

http://www.gonemovies.com/www/topfilms/Godfather/Godfather15.jpg

Chief Henry
01-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Pets are dam near human if you ask me. We love our pets. I swear they understand what we are
telling them while they listen.

Frankie, good luck to you.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I think I'm gonna puke!

vailpass
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I think I'm gonna puke!
LMAO
Wait til someone busts out the "Doggy Heaven Bridge" story or whatever it's called. It cracks me up so hard I can hardly see through the tears in my eyes.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Men tend to like dogs because they are subservient - cats are not - so "alpha" men do not like them because they do not obey commands. I am not surprised that some men feel that cat owners are "different" - they are - they do not need to get a feeling of power from ordering around animals - they are comfortable in their own skin.

vailpass
01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Men tend to like dogs because they are subservient - cats are not - so "alpha" men do not like them because they do not obey commands. I am not surprised that some men feel that cat owners are "different" - they are - they do not need to get a feeling of power from ordering around animals - they are comfortable in their own skin.

So, do you pitch or catch? I'm guessing catch.

edit: wait, I just saw your avatar and can't deal shit to a Jim fan. I guess you are just sensitive.

edit again: now I see that you are Canadian. This explains everything.

Frazod
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
I prefer cats because dogs are a pain in the ass. They're like retarded little kids that never grow up. The high temperature is going to be 10 degrees tomorrow up here, and I won't have to walk my cats. If I want to go away for the weekend, I don't have to arrange for doggie daycare - I just put out some extra food.

And if you raise a cat correctly, it can be every bit as affectionate and loyal as a dog. It won't defend you from burglars, but hey, I have guns for that.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
So, do you pitch or catch? I'm guessing catch.

edit: wait, I just saw your avatar and can't deal shit to a Jim fan. I guess you are just sensitive.

edit again: now I see that you are Canadian. This explains everything.
You are soooo right - being Canadian explains everything - very perceptive...

and glad you are a Morrison fan...

vailpass
01-18-2008, 05:49 PM
You are soooo right - being Canadian explains everything - very perceptive...

and glad you are a Morrison fan...

Just funnin' with ya'. St. Catherines in Montreal is one of my favorite streets in the world.
The film festival, sidewalk cafes serving outstanding beer, top-shelf strip clubs with international hotties and cuban cigars, that place has it all.
Never been to Ottawa but hear it is beautiful.

Phobia
01-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Wait a minute. I thought you had cats.

KcMizzou
01-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I prefer cats because dogs are a pain in the ass. They're like retarded little kids that never grow up. The high temperature is going to be 10 degrees tomorrow up here, and I won't have to walk my cats. If I want to go away for the weekend, I don't have to arrange for doggie daycare - I just put out some extra food.

And if you raise a cat correctly, it can be every bit as affectionate and loyal as a dog. It won't defend you from burglars, but hey, I have guns for that.Heheh. Nice, there's a lot of truth to that.

KCJohnny
01-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Frankie, we know what you are going through. We lost our beloved little Lucky this year, a cat my wife saved when it was attacked by another animal when just 4 weeks old. It can be very hard to accept. you're not alone, pal.
KCJ

Frankie
01-20-2008, 03:13 AM
Spot on. Rep. :thumb:

Frankie
01-20-2008, 03:18 AM

And if you raise a cat correctly, it can be every bit as affectionate and loyal as a dog. It won't defend you from burglars, but hey, I have guns for that.
Those are my EXACT reasons for prefering cats too. Earily close to how I have verbalized my reasoning before. Deserves a rep.

Frankie
01-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Frankie, we know what you are going through. We lost our beloved little Lucky this year, a cat my wife saved when it was attacked by another animal when just 4 weeks old. It can be very hard to accept. you're not alone, pal.
KCJ
Thanks KCJ. Hopefully Puya has come through for us despite my initial fear for the worst. But we won't know for sure until early next month. Hopefully Lucky had a long and happy life under your care after the rescue.

alnorth
01-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Fariba and I are devastated. We just got the bad news from the vet. Some of you may remember I needed him transported from KC to Des Moines. alnorth did me the kind favor of bringing him. Now it turns out that he has Polycystic Kidney Disease. He is a great affectionate cat and has built himself a home in our hearts.

Just wanted to share this with you as I'm not having a good day. :( :( :( :(

I'm sorry to hear about that. I do remember that he was a very pretty cat, and well-behaved. Didnt utter a single meow all the way up to DSM.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
BTW - for those of you who care (the rest of you can skip this post) - had to put my cat of 14 years down Monday - VERY tough day - especially for my kids - 15, 19, 22 - who have grown up with him....to me that is the saddest - seeing my kids like that.....now my remaining cat does not know what to do with himself - trying to keep himself warm without the older one to sleep against - very tough.....

ClevelandBronco
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Isn't Polycystic Kidney Disease caused by exposure to microwaves for as few as 12 minutes a day?

morphius
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
BTW - for those of you who care (the rest of you can skip this post) - had to put my cat of 14 years down Monday - VERY tough day - especially for my kids - 15, 19, 22 - who have grown up with him....to me that is the saddest - seeing my kids like that.....now my remaining cat does not know what to do with himself - trying to keep himself warm without the older one to sleep against - very tough.....
Sorry to hear that man, losing a pet is tough.

chasedude
01-23-2008, 02:44 PM

Sorry to hear that Ottawa_chiefs_fan. Not long ago I had to put one of my cats down. She (Missy) had a tumor on her chest and it was dragging her down. She did nothing but sleep and ate very little. Through all of this she had her best friend (Nickel) who's still with me. Both are snuggle lovers. In the past they would both sleep together and groom each other. The pair of them was always together and never fought. They were both fixed as I didn't want "Lover Twins" offspring running around. Poor Nickel now just isn't himself, I think he misses her as I sure do :(

tooge
01-23-2008, 02:46 PM
we adopted 2 wild cats and they have been great at keeping the mole and snake pouulation in check around the place (unfortunately sometimes the bluebirds too). I have, however, always been a dog guy but have really come to dig these cats. Anyhow, it sucks losing a pet, they are like family. Sorry to hear it.

Frankie
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Isn't Polycystic Kidney Disease caused by exposure to microwaves for as few as 12 minutes a day?
LMAO
Dammit you are forcing me to give you a rep against my better judgement!

Frankie
01-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Ditto.

Phobia
01-23-2008, 03:08 PM

He didn't lose the pet, he put out a hit on it. Murdering thugs....

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-23-2008, 03:49 PM
LMAO

I'm glad to see you can still have some since of humor with all us A-holes here.

ClevelandBronco
01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
LMAO

I'm glad you took it for what it was.

Boyceofsummer
01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
as I type this. She's 11. It's tough to say so long but I would rather send them to their sleep without any suffering.

Here is a photo of one of my shep's and Buster.

Frankie
01-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Well Puya is in for the fateful blood test and X-Rays today. Hopefully they will read well. Outwardly he's been very active and playful. Maybe that's a good sign. Here's his latest pic from a few nights ago:

phisherman
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
i've got my fingers crossed....fwiw, the cat looks pretty healthy and happy to me

MTG#10
01-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Well Puya is in for the fateful blood test and X-Rays today. Hopefully they will read well. Outwardly he's been very active and playful. Maybe that's a good sign. Here's his latest pic from a few nights ago:
Damn thats a hairy pussy.

gblowfish
01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
At our house we call that pose "happy cat."
Usually a kitty won't show you their belly unless they really trust you.

Hope things turn out OK for you. What a good kitty.

phisherman
02-06-2008, 06:08 PM
frankie, hoping that the tests came out ok

Eleazar
02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
What does Puya mean? I assume it's Farsi...

Frankie
02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
frankie, hoping that the tests came out ok
Thanks man. All kidney readings are back to normal. His kidneys are still a little enlarged, but just a little. Not nearly as large as the day of diagnosis. Looks like he might have another 8 lives left yet. As for PKD, it's back to 50-50 since his mom has it. But this particular episode evidently was not PKD related as originally feared. Here's a pic of him and his pal Sammy from a couple of evenings ago:

Frankie
02-07-2008, 09:49 AM
What does Puya mean? I assume it's Farsi...
Yes it is. It means Seeker.

Frankie
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
At our house we call that pose "happy cat."
Usually a kitty won't show you their belly unless they really trust you.

Hope things turn out OK for you. What a good kitty.
Thanks. He turned out to be very good natured. We are lucky to have him.

phisherman
02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
that's great news..

glad to hear that your furball is ok.

chasedude
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks. He turned out to be very good natured. We are lucky to have him.

I was watching the news this morning and heard info on a lawyer that's wanting to sue the bastards in China for the whole Malemine (sp?) fiasco.

Many were saying the symptoms of the poisoning was kidney failure. Have the Vets checked for this too?

ottawa_chiefs_fan
02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks man. All kidney readings are back to normal. His kidneys are still a little enlarged, but just a little. Not nearly as large as the day of diagnosis. Looks like he might have another 8 lives left yet. As for PKD, it's back to 50-50 since his mom has it. But this particular episode evidently was not PKD related as originally feared. Here's a pic of him and his pal Sammy from a couple of evenings ago:
man - you must be kneedeep in cat hair at your house!!

Frankie
02-07-2008, 11:19 AM
man - you must be kneedeep in cat hair at your house!!
No, Persians don't shed as much as you think. Especially if they are brushed often enough. I had a short hair Siamese/Hymalayan that was a problem shedder. My two persians are quite managable. That said, the red blanket on the chair(s) are to keep the hair away from the chairs. Of course they are off when company arrives.

chagrin
02-07-2008, 11:29 AM
No, Persians don't shed as much as you think. Especially if they are brushed often enough. I had a short hair Siamese/Hymalayan that was a problem shedder. My two persians are quite managable. That said, the red blanket on the chair(s) are to keep the hair away from the chairs. Of course they are off when company arrives.

You persians tend to be hairy fuggers, LOL

Seriously though, glad to hear that kitty is doing well