PDA

View Full Version : Prime-Time games...YOU....make the call.

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Let's assume the following.

1. There are 16 Monday night games.
2. There are 16 Sunday night games.
3. There are, eh, let's call it 16 other prime-time games on Thursday, Thanksgiving, Saturday, etc.

That means that there are 96 spots for teams, since a game almost always involves two teams.

Since there are an average of 32 teams in the league (counting the Chiefs and Dolphins as 0.5 teams each and the Patriots as 2.0 teams), this means that an average team should have three appearances on prime-time TV.

Now imagine that you're in charge of the NFL's TV scheduling. How many appearances would you give each team in prime time? Take into account past performance, future performance, star power, market size, team reputations, team styles, hotness and uniform scantiness of team cheerleaders, ability of announcers to name more than one person on the team, and any other relevant factors. Remember, total appearances have to add up to 96.

I would go with something like this, in keeping with my philosophy that every team should get at least one appearance.

8 appearances
Patriots

6 appearances
Colts
Giants

5 appearances
Chargers
Browns
Cowboys

4 appearances
Packers
Saints
Steelers
Texans
Jaguars

3 appearances
Eagles
Redskins
Bears
Cardinals
Seahawks
Vikings

2 appearances
Bengals
Broncos
Titans
Raiders
Buccaneers
49ers
Chiefs
Rams

1 appearance
Bills
Jets
Dolphins
Ravens
Lions
Falcons
Panthers

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Or not. You don't have to make the call if you don't want to. It was really more of a suggestion than anything.

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Okay, that was a bluff. This is an order. Make the call. Make the call, people.

Spott
01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
You have too much time on your hands.

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Just for that, you aren't allowed to make the call. Out. Out of my thread. You can come back in one week.

FAX
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I was trying to add up some teams and got stuck on hotness and scantiness. Do we deduct games for hotness and scantiness or do we add games for non-hotness and unscantiness?

FAX

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Do you think it'll help viewership or hurt viewership? Ponder carefully before making your decision, because it will strongly affect the number of prime-time Eagles and Chargers games.

smittysbar
01-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Why did you give the Browns more games than the Pack

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Why did you give the Browns more games than the Pack

Frankly, I think the Browns may be a more exciting team next year. They've got strong receivers, the Jamal Lewis thing, and whoever's at quarterback. The Packers have Favre, who is huge, but not much else of interest, in my opinion.

Bugeater
01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Are we allowed to let our personal feelings for certain teams affect our decisions?

Rain Man
01-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Are we allowed to let our personal feelings for certain teams affect our decisions?

It depends on how secure you think your job as NFL TV scheduler is.

smittysbar
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
The Pack is a pretty young team on D and some really good receivers, that let Ol' #4 sling it down the field.

Bengals had some big time injury problems this year. And seem to draw attention for their O, and 85. Might give them more games next year.

It is BS that teams go without even getting ONE.

cdcox
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM
There is a constraint that you have to have actual games that match up with your team frequencies. Plus you want to make sure the matchups are good. you don't want to show the Patriots playing weak teams in 8 different games. I need to write a computer program to give a good answer.

01-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Just for that, you aren't allowed to make the call. Out. Out of my thread. You can come back in one week.

No post for you!!!!

http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/episodes/the_soup_nazi/the_soup_nazi017.jpg

bowener
01-14-2008, 11:32 PM
We had one primetime game scheduled this year (flex) after a playoff 'appearance', how do we get 2 next year after this trainwreck (full of fecal matter) of a season?