PDA

View Full Version : Jeopardy question; Chiefs

38yrsfan
01-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Myself and my sons (both Chiefs fans) thought this was great!

A rerun maybe, I don't watch frequently enough to know, but last night on Jeopardy there was a "live-read" question (my quote is not verbatim, memory is shot);

Mike Garrett says something like "for which team in Superbowl IV did I score a touchdown in the 2nd quarter on (play name description) that was coached by Hank Stram"

The neighbors could hear the answer and we live in the country.

not much of a discussion topic, just wanted to share.

KCJohnny
01-15-2008, 03:13 PM
65 toss trap.

Dartgod
01-15-2008, 03:19 PM
65 toss power trap.
You call yourself a Chiefs fan?

Fixed it...

KCJohnny
01-15-2008, 03:23 PM
You call yourself a Chiefs fan?

Fixed it...

Just not matriculating the way I used to...

:(

Dartgod
01-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Just not matriculating the way I used to...

:(
ROFL

FAX
01-15-2008, 03:27 PM
I've never articulated this interrogatory before.

I totally get the "toss" and the "trap" and the "power" part, but does the "65" denote an off-tackle run?

FAX

KCJohnny
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I've never articulated this interrogatory before.

I totally get the "toss" and the "trap" and the "power" part, but does the "65" denote an off-tackle run?

FAX

Numbers usually denote positions or holes. Usually 3 things are spoken in the huddle:

1. Formation
2. Play
3. Snap Count

What's cool about Lenny and the old chiefs is that Lenny called the majority of plays in the huddle. The idea that a guy would sit in the press box and call plays for the offense was unheard of. IIRC, Tom Landry was the 1st HC in the NFL/AFL to call plays for his QB. Some of those old farts like Unitas, Hadl, Jim Hart, John Brodie, etc... could be very crafty calling plays in game situations.

Ahhhh.... the good old days...

88TG88
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
The question was which team did I play for. I thought it was common knowledge. :shrug:

FAX
01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Numbers usually denote positions or holes. Usually 3 things are spoken in the huddle:

1. Formation
2. Play
3. Snap Count

What's cool about Lenny and the old chiefs is that Lenny called the majority of plays in the huddle. The idea that a guy would sit in the press box and call plays for the offense was unheard of. IIRC, Tom Landry was the 1st HC in the NFL/AFL to call plays for his QB. Some of those old farts like Unitas, Hadl, Jim Hart, John Brodie, etc... could be very crafty calling plays in game situations.

Ahhhh.... the good old days...

So, is the "65" the formation?

FAX

tyton75
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
"6" probably signafied the position of the person that was going to get the ball.. and the "5" is the hole he was supposed to run thru..

odd numbers go to the left, even numbers go to the right

the 5 hole would be a run to the left aimed to go off tackle or between the Left OT and the TE on that side

KCJohnny
01-15-2008, 03:48 PM
So, is the "65" the formation?

FAX

No, I think you were right. I think its the 6 back in the 5 hole (off tackle). Systems can vary greatly in their terminology. I don't think Coach Stram named a formation in the video. That could have meant that that particular play was only run from a certain formation. That's my guess, anyway. Someone else may know the exact answer.

There is some standardization today in naming generic positions such as the X receiver (usually a flanker/split end on the left side) Y (H-back or TE) and Z receiver (flanker/split end on right side). With today's complicated formations however, I think most team's use their own systemic designations.

I would imagine the playbook used by the '69 Chiefs was rather thin compared to the telephone books of today. Even though they don't call the plays, today's offenses are so complicated that most QBs wear a cheat card on their forearm just to know the terminolgy, formations, motions/shifts and (if the system allows) audibles. Then add the additional capability of reading defenses and you have a lot going on between the ears of a modern day QB.

Third Eye
01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
I watched that when it aired yesterday. Came out of my seat when no one got it.

FAX
01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys. That makes sense. I'm going with "6" denoting the back and "5" indicating the hole.

FAX

cookster50
01-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys. That makes sense. I'm going with "6" denoting the back and "5" indicating the hole.

FAX

Would that make you a butt5?

FAX
01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Would that make you a butt5?

Let me guess.

You're cranky because your most recent lover died and the pet store is onto your scam and won't replace any more sh*t stained gerbils.

FAX

J Diddy
01-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Let me guess.

You're cranky because your most recent lover died and the pet store is onto your scam and won't replace any more sh*t stained gerbils.

FAX

Geez, is that why you're cranky?

get the wind up ones at toys r us for crying out loud

chiefqueen
01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Nobody has yet answered the question correctly so I'll do it.

"What is 65-toss-power-trap?"

Thig Lyfe
01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Nobody has yet answered the question correctly so I'll do it.

"What is 65-toss-power-trap?"

Actually, it's "What are the Kansas City Chiefs?"

Bugeater
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Actually, it's "What are the Kansas City Chiefs?"