PDA

View Full Version : Gailey in the lead for Chiefs OC job

Hammock Parties
01-16-2008, 11:23 AM
http://kan.scout.com/2/720550.html

In the next 48 hours the Chiefs could introduce their new offensive coordinator. After finishing all the interviews, it appears head coach Herm Edwards is leaning towards the man with the most experience - Chan Gailey.

The final interview was conducted Tuesday with Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbacks coach Mike Shula, who interviewed via telephone and not in person as previously indicated.

According to our source, Gailey has moved to front-runner status and could be named KC’s new offensive coordinator by Friday. Gailey cancelled an interview Tuesday afternoon with the St. Louis Rams, who instead interviewed Cincinnati Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese.

Gailey has the most experience of the remaining four candidates - Shula, UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price and former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel.

The Chiefs met with Gailey for a second time on Tuesday and per our source expect the former Georgia Tech head coach to become the new offensive coordinator.

Shula, who had been tabbed as the top candidate, was expected to fly into Kansas City on Tuesday or Wednesday. Instead, it does not appear as if he’ll make a visit to Arrowhead Stadium anytime soon.

The 56-year old Gailey spent the last six seasons at Georgia Tech. He finished with a record of 44-32 but was fired in late November after failing to beat state rival Georgia during his tenure.

Last year at this time he was a candidate for two NFL head coaching jobs - Pittsburgh and Miami.

Gailey was previously a successful offensive coordinator with the Steelers from 1996-97 and with the Dolphins from 2000-2001. He also served as Dallas Cowboys head coach from 1998-1999 and with the WFL’s Birmingham Fire from 1991-1992.

Donger
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Could?

keg in kc
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
He doesn't blow my doors off, but neither do any of the other candidates. I don't think it would be a bad hire, though. I also don't expect it to happen.

Hammock Parties
01-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Could?

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3669/dn112071600sa0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sure-Oz
01-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Any chance that Chow gets an interview? Athan was going on how if he was herm he'd have a jet ready to grab him last night, on 38 the spot

Hammock Parties
01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Any chance that Chow gets an interview? Athan was going on how if he was herm he'd have a jet ready to grab him last night, on 38 the spot

Chow doesn't look like an option at this point.

crazycoffey
01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
R*post

DenverChief
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm gonna say that Bates gets the job...and I'm basing this off of absolutely no evidence whatsofreaking ever

FloridaMan88
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I can't wait to see Dictator Carl's propaganda machine try to convince the fanbase Chan Gailey is a better hire over the likes of Cam Cameron/Mike Martz, etc.

Brock
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I can't wait to see Dictator Carl's propaganda machine try to convince the fanbase Chan Gailey is a better hire over the likes of Cam Cameron/Mike Martz, etc.

He would be a better hire than Mike Martz.

Sure-Oz
01-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Makes sense after actually reading the article...

I wanted either Chow or Gailey out of the names mentioned, but the new guy from UTEP would've been interesting, oh well can't be worse than Solari.

Donger
01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I wonder what Herm's interview questions were like?

"How many points would you like to score each game?"

"Errrr, as many as possible?"

"Next!"

FloridaMan88
He would be a better hire than Mike Martz.

Martz's offense in SF will be a more productive than the Chiefs offense this year.

I'll put money on that

FAX
No offense, Mr. DenverChief, but whatsofreakingever is one word, not two.

FAX

FAX
01-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Why?

FAX

Sure-Oz
01-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Why?

FAX
Probably cause Gailey already has it?

Reerun_KC
01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Makes sense after actually reading the article...

I wanted either Chow or Gailey out of the names mentioned, but the new guy from UTEP would've been interesting, oh well can't be worse than Solari.

I present you the Asst Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.... He is the true OC anyway, the rest are just in name only... As long as he is over the offense, we will always suffer here in KC...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/staff/dick_curl.jpg

FAX
01-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Anybody else think "depraved sexual predator" when they see that picture?

FAX

DenverChief
01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
No offense, Mr. DenverChief, but whatsofreakingever is one word, not two.

FAX

ah Thanks I was having trouble with that word ;)

Reerun_KC
01-16-2008, 11:54 AM

FAX

Looks more like a whiny little snitch, that cries to daddy Herm all day long...

How could you even respect that guy... What a poser!

But Hey, Herm and Him really know how to put together a masterful offensive game plan.

Sure-Oz
01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
I present you the Asst Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.... He is the true OC anyway, the rest are just in name only... As long as he is over the offense, we will always suffer here in KC...

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/staff/dick_curl.jpg
:huh:

RustShack
01-16-2008, 11:55 AM
R2P2!

Brock
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Martz's offense in SF will be a more productive than the Chiefs offense this year.

I'll put money on that

They'd be more productive with Gailey too. So what?

milkman
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM

He is just a sympton of a larger problem.

The real problem starts at ownership, then Carl, then Herman ****ing Edwards.

We are going to suffer as long as these people suck ass.

So dig in.

We are going to suck ass for a long ass time.

Rausch
01-16-2008, 11:58 AM

I'll put money on that

Combining an OC that throws all day with a horrible quarterback and questionable line.

Oh yeah, I expect big things...

DenverChief
01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Combining an OC that throws all day with a horrible quarterback and questionable line.

Oh yeah, I expect big things...

you don't like smith?

Eleazar
01-16-2008, 12:04 PM

Those guys obviously are not proponents of the philosophy that this coaching staff wants on offense, so it should be no surprise if they are not considered.

Those guys probably aren't football gods, Cameron couldn't make something out of nothing in Miami, and Martz couldn't do it in Detroit either. We know that they are both pretty good when they have an incredible level of talent, but we're years away from that here.

Rausch
01-16-2008, 12:04 PM
you don't like smith?

The little I saw of him this year didn't show me much to like.

CosmicPal
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I wonder what Herm's interview questions were like?

"How many points would you like to score each game?"

"Errrr, as many as possible?"

"Next!"

LMAO

FringeNC
01-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Gailey is the only guy that'd be comfortable with Herm's system -- running 65% of the time until down by multiple scores.

Honestly, Gailey is about the best we could hope for that Herm would allow any amount of autonomy to.

Gailey is certainly not my first choice to run an offense, but he is not imcompetent, and I also cannot see him allowing Dick Carl to have veto pwer. In fact, I'll go further -- if we hire Gailey, he will be the most competent coach on the entire staff on either side of the ball.

Wile_E_Coyote
Guess who was in NFLE 91-92? Barcelona's offensive coordinator Dick Curl. Perhaps Chan & Dick shared train rides to Amsterdam

FAX
Things to do while you suck ass.

1) Solve Sudoku puzzles blindfolded.
2) Create a Britney scrapbook.
3) Build a shadow box for your Big Mouth Billy Bass.
4) Begin a career as a freelance snowman builder.
5) Start a kinky Jenga club.
6) Make little airplanes out of post-in notes.
7) Train a vulture to attack strangers.
8) Open a FloBee salon.
9) Sell your extended family members on ebay.
10) Make a homemade Rock Band game out of pots and pans.

FAX

FAX
01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
...if we hire Gailey, he will be the most competent coach on the entire staff on either side of the ball.

Point.

FAX

Ceej
01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Things to do while you suck ass.

1) Solve Sudoku puzzles blindfolded.
2) Create a Britney scrapbook.
3) Build a shadow box for your Big Mouth Billy Bass.
4) Begin a career as a freelance snowman builder.
5) Start a kinky Jenga club.
6) Make little airplanes out of post-in notes.
7) Train a vulture to attack strangers.
8) Open a FloBee salon.
9) Sell your extended family members on ebay.
10) Make a homemade Rock Band game out of pots and pans.

FAX

Ooooh, what about word searches?!

keg in kc
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm gonna say that Bates gets the job...and I'm basing this off of absolutely no evidence whatsofreaking everThe "Master Bates" jokes would never end. Here's hoping the Chiefs offense "spanks" the other team.

Bowser
01-16-2008, 12:11 PM
The apathy the Chiefs have forced on me for their team keeps me from being fired up at this potential hiring at this point.

milkman
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Gailey is the only guy that'd be comfortable with Herm's system -- running 65% of the time until down by multiple scores.

Honestly, Gailey is about the best we could hope for that Herm would allow any amount of autonomy to.

Gailey is certainly not my first choice to run an offense, but he is not imcompetent, and I also cannot see him allowing Dick Carl to have veto pwer. In fact, I'll go further -- if we hire Gailey, he will be the most competent coach on the entire staff on either side of the ball.

If you find a cousin with 1 tooth in Arkansas, you'd better marry her, cause you ain't likely to find another tooth in the family.

FAX
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Ooooh, what about word searches?!

True. And there's also the "last one to post here wins" contest.

FAX

dirk digler
01-16-2008, 12:13 PM
n fact, I'll go further -- if we hire Gailey, he will be the most competent coach on the entire staff on either side of the ball.

Then we're really ****ed

DenverChief
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
The "Master Bates" jokes would never end. Here's hoping the Chiefs offense "spanks" the other team.

:LOL: I hadn't thought of that

headsnap
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
The "Master Bates" jokes would never end. Here's hoping the Chiefs offense "spanks" the other team.
appearing on stage live:

Master Bates and the Dick Curls

Bowser
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Our transition to complete laughing stock of the league would be complete.

FringeNC
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Then we're really ****ed

I have felt that way from the day we hired Herm Edwards.

HemiEd
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM

FAX

That is actually a secondary thought for me Mr. Fax to: kissassincompetantpig****er.

keg in kc
01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Our transition to complete laughing stock of the league would be complete.I thought it already was.

Nightfyre
01-16-2008, 12:24 PM
My question is: How, if at all, will the coordinator impact the draft? What is Gailey likely to want and what weight is his opinion given?

nychief
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
My question is: How, if at all, will the coordinator impact the draft? What is Gailey likely to want and what weight is his opinion given?

Oline. WR. Oline. Oline Oline.

RustShack
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM

Wasn't Gun in the draft room last year? Maybe they want this years OC to be in the room also and have a say in who he thinks will fit the system best?

Micjones
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Gailey's a safe hire.
One I can live with, but one I'll be disappointed over.

This anachronistic brand of football Edwards wants to play won't cut it in the NFL anymore.

milkman
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Wasn't Gun in the draft room last year? Maybe they want this years OC to be in the room also and have a say in who he thinks will fit the system best?

What system?

KCJohnny
First of all, I'm not so sure we should ascribe so much credibility to GOATSE's "sources"...

If Gailey is hired, its an improvement in many respects. However, I think we'll find out in 2008 that we may have greatly exaggerated Solari's role in the demise of this offense.

My guess is he'll have to build a playbook. Herm doesn't want a "system" that players perform in; he wants a system that maximizes current/emerging talent.

He'll also need an OL coach that runs the zone blocking scheme...

StcChief
Gailey BAC on the board

Nightfyre
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
If I was GM, I'd keep both coordinators in the draft room along with the Head Coach. Of course, I'd have the top 50 players (at a minimum) preranked, so that no decision would need be made in the first two rounds.

sparkky
01-16-2008, 12:31 PM
At least it's somebody with some experience and credibility like some nobody willing to work for minimum wage, a parking spot and a warm spot under Carl's desk.

I don't expect anybody to make chicken salad out of chicken shit here.

keg in kc
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Gailey's a safe hire.
One I can live with, but one I'll be disappointed over.

This anachronistic brand of football Edwards wants to play won't cut it in the NFL anymore.Everything's cyclical, maybe in 10 years when we finally get everything put together, the league will be back to run first.

FAX
01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Everything's cyclical, maybe in 10 years when we finally get everything put together, the league will be back to run first.

Very true, Mr. keg in kc. But, defenses have to figure out how to stop the passing game first. Either that or the league has to back off on some of the rule changes that have favored the passing game.

Maybe allowing the CB to konk the WR with a nine iron within 5 yards would do it.

FAX

shaneo69
01-16-2008, 12:42 PM
The thing I remember about Gailey is that he used to run a couple of trick plays almost every game when he was with the Steelers.

Sure-Oz
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I prefer Gailey over Shula since he has had some success, and Fassell i don't know about either, that Ravens O was trash.

FAX
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
The thing I remember about Gailey is that he used to run a couple of trick plays almost every game when he was with the Steelers.

Didn't he have "splash" or whatever that guy's name was at that time, though?

FAX

Brock
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Gailey almost made Kordell Stewart look like an NFL QB.

kregger
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Gailey is no dumbass. He knows Herm's lifeline is real short here and taking this job will put him in a good spot for HC.

Skip Towne
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I liked the one where the QB goes under center then stands up and starts walking toward the sideline. When the D relaxes they direct snap to the back.

ChiefGator
01-16-2008, 12:49 PM
If we actually hire him, I'll be pleased. He has the most experience, and has coaching experience on defense, offense, and as a head coach. He made some crappy qb's look pretty decent in his offenses. I think it's a good hire...

Okay.. back to your moping and dark clouds and skies a'falling....

-Mark... hoping Mr. Fax let's him know the proper spelling of mopping, mopeing, etc...

FAX
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I liked the one where the QB goes under center then stands up and starts walking toward the sideline. When the D relaxes they direct snap to the back.

We could use some of that magic.

FAX

keg in kc
01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Didn't he have "splash" or whatever that guy's name was at that time, though?

FAXWasn't he the guitar player for that rock band derringers and daisies?

BigRock
01-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll admit to not doing much reading on Gailey, but if he was the Steelers' OC in '96 and '97 and took over as the Cowboys head coach in '98, would I be correct in assuming that he did well enough as Pittsburgh's OC that it made him a hot prospect Jerry Jones wanted to sign?

Or does he have some kind of connection to Jerry that made it more of a buddy hire than something based on job performance?

Sure-Oz
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll admit to not doing much reading on Gailey, but if he was the Steelers' OC in '96 and '97 and took over as the Cowboys head coach in '98, would I be correct in assuming that he did well enough as Pittsburgh's OC that it made him a hot prospect Jerry Jones wanted to sign?

Or does he have some kind of connection to Jerry that made it more of a buddy hire than something based on job performance?
Jones is the type to hire the best possible i'd say...he is all about winning or spending money on the best available!

Hammock Parties
01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
First of all, I'm not so sure we should ascribe so much credibility to GOATSE's "sources"...

Shut up. No one gives a shit what you think.

jAZ
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Gailey was previously a successful offensive coordinator with the Steelers from 1996-97 and with the Dolphins from 2000-2001. He also served as Dallas Cowboys head coach from 1998-1999 and with the WFL’s Birmingham Fire from 1991-1992.
Pro's and Con's.

Pro, Herm isn't hiring a drone/lackey. Herm seems to be willing to bring in someone with equal or greater experience as a HC. I like that.

Con, 4 different 1 year stints as a Headcoach or OC isn't very impressive at all.

I'm intrigued, overall though.

Rausch
01-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Gailey almost made Kordell Stewart look like an NFL QB.

Good call. Croyle can't be worse than Kordell. Or Odonnel....

InChiefsHeaven
01-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Dick Curl Gailey...

...sweet...

Hammock Parties
01-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Run up the middle on first down. Run up the middle on second. Desperation pass play on third and long.

Sorry, but I'm not a Gailey fan. We had the most Vanilla offense I have ever seen when he was here.

Well, Lamar Smith had 40 carries in our playoff win over the Colts, if that gives you some idea. Personally, I liked the guy but I thought our offense was too predictable. As in bland, plain-Jane, vanilla.

That may have had something to do with our personnel, but I thought his rep coming in outshown his performance while he was here. I wish him the best, though.

FringeNC
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM

LOL. I foresee some fireworks between these two guys at some point - threats and counter-threats.

milkman
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM
LOL. I foresee some fireworks between these two guys at some point - threats and counter-threats.

I won't be able to watch.

It would be like watching a couple of ugly skanks mud wrestling.

01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Here's Goatse and Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan talking about the secret source. the mobile cone of silence has been purchased exclusively by WPI.

http://alistair.cockburn.us/images/Maxwell_Smart_in_a_cone_of_silence.jpg

dirk digler
01-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dolphins fan
Run up the middle on first down. Run up the middle on second. Desperation pass play on third and long.

Sorry, but I'm not a Gailey fan. We had the most Vanilla offense I have ever seen when he was here.

Quote:Originally Posted by Dolphins Fan 2
Well, Lamar Smith had 40 carries in our playoff win over the Colts, if that gives you some idea. Personally, I liked the guy but I thought our offense was too predictable. As in bland, plain-Jane, vanilla.

That may have had something to do with our personnel, but I thought his rep coming in outshown his performance while he was here. I wish him the best, though.

Now I know why Herm likes him. ****. :cuss:

Stinger
01-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dolphins fan

Originally Posted by Dolphins Fan 2

http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206237

Skip Towne
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM

I think Jones hired Gailey because he was cheap. Jones once made the comment he should just coach the team himself. He thought just anybody could be HC.