PDA

View Full Version : Report: Tomko headed to Kansas City

petegz28
01-20-2008, 09:18 PM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080120&content_id=2351789&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

BigRock
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Is Christian coming with him?

doomy3
01-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Here's what Rotoworld had to say about this signing... LMAO

http://origin-www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2411

Jan. 20 - 6:09 pm et

The Royals and Brett Tomko have reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3 million contract.

It's so ridiculous to complain about what Alex Rodriguez is making when baseball is swimming in so much cash that Tomko can disappoint organization after organization and still receive $3 million. The soon-to-be 35-year-old had a 5.55 ERA while pitching in two of the National League's bigger ballparks last season. Once in 10 years -- with the Giants in 2004 -- has he actually met the expectations a team had for him. There's simply way too much money being made by baseball if he's worth $3 million.
Source: ESPN.com
Related: Royals

Demonpenz
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
More arms the better

L.A. Chieffan
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Tomko rules. Trust me as a Dodger fan I was sad to see him go...

doomy3
01-20-2008, 09:45 PM
More arms the better

Except that at some point it would be nice to not keep paying any breathing, mediocre to bad, pitcher 3 million dollars, and instead, sign one or two good ones for 12-13 million dollars.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 09:46 PM

You have to be kidding. You guys will really miss the soft tossing 5+ ERA in the NL won't you.

L.A. Chieffan
01-20-2008, 09:47 PM
You have to be kidding. You guys will really miss the soft tossing 5+ ERA in the NL won't you.

You're a quick one. Can't get anything by you...

milkman
01-20-2008, 09:48 PM

Yes, he's kidding.

DJ's left nut
01-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Million dollar arm...10 cent...well let's make that a 3 cent head.

That guy was a blown lead waiting to happen. Anytime he was behind with STL, he'd keep us within 2 runs, but as soon as we got a lead, he'd walk the leadoff man and end up giving up a 3 run jack before you knew it.

Add an extra syllable to Kip Wells and you have Brett Tomko. He's an allright swingman, might even make an okay 3rd righty out of the 'pen, but you'll hate that guy as a starter more than anyone this side of Jose Lima.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
You're a quick one. Can't get anything by you...

Alright, just making sure. Hell, you can never tell on this board. There are so many different opinions on players who we should have kept or let go it's hard to read through the sarcasm.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Million dollar arm...10 cent...well let's make that a 3 cent head.

That guy was a blown lead waiting to happen. Anytime he was behind with STL, he'd keep us within 2 runs, but as soon as we got a lead, he'd walk the leadoff man and end up giving up a 3 run jack before you knew it.

Add an extra syllable to Kip Wells and you have Brett Tomko. He's an allright swingman, might even make an okay 3rd righty out of the 'pen, but you'll hate that guy as a starter more than anyone this side of Jose Lima.

I'd probably rather have Lima. At least he's entertaining.

KC_Connection
01-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Why do the Royals throw what little money they have in such stupid places?

For all the money they spend on mediocre relievers, starters, and outfielders, they could put it together to buy one good player who would contibute more wins than all those players.

Tomko seriously is no better than minor leaguers they could fill his job with, incredibly bad signing.

Demonpenz
01-20-2008, 09:56 PM
they must see something they can fix in his delivery

ChiTown
01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
I got to be honest, I don't get this signing at all. I know it's a 1 year contract, but $3MM for Brett Tomko? wtf are we thinking here?

88TG88
01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
print em

Ultra Peanut
01-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Is Christian coming with him?Tomko, give me a beat!

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Why do the Royals throw what little money they have in such stupid places?

For all the money they spend on mediocre relievers, starters, and outfielders, they could put it together to buy one good player who would contibute more wins than all those players.

Tomko seriously is no better than minor leaguers they could fill his job with, incredibly bad signing.

there isn't any players like that out there right now that would be willing to come to KC, so they have to do exactly what they are doing. It's not like theres a salary cap, and david glass trusts in dayton moore and is more willing to throw money his way for things like this, so the money isn't a factor whatsoever

KC_Connection
01-20-2008, 10:12 PM
there isn't any players like that out there right now that would be willing to come to KC, so they have to do exactly what they are doing. It's not like theres a salary cap, and david glass trusts in dayton moore and is more willing to throw money his way for things like this, so the money isn't a factor whatsoever
Where in my post did I say money was a factor?

The Royals clearly have money, or else they wouldn't be signing all these mediocre players to contracts. The thing is, if you have money, you have to spend it in a smarter way than this.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Where in my post did I say money was a factor?

The Royals clearly have money, or else they wouldn't be signing all these mediocre players to contracts. The thing is, if you have money, you have to spend it in a smarter way than this.

right here:

"For all the money they spend on mediocre relievers, starters, and outfielders, they could put it together to buy one good player who would contibute more wins than all those players."

i understand how you feel about not bringing in big name guys that are proven to help out teams, but when you're coming off of how many ever 100 loss seasons we've had and not making the playoffs in 21 years, it makes it a shit ton harder to lure in those big name guys. you have to spend money to get better, and this really is the only way to keep putting pieces around the young guys.

KC_Connection
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
right here:

"For all the money they spend on mediocre relievers, starters, and outfielders, they could put it together to buy one good player who would contibute more wins than all those players."
Yes...shouldn't that be a basic concept for general managers?

To spend the money they have on good players instead of a plethora of mediocre and bad ones?

Maybe I'm just crazy...

Chiefmanwillcatch
01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Dayton should be trusted.

KC_Connection
01-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Dayton should be trusted.
Trusting someone blindly is, and never will be, a good thing.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Yes...shouldn't that be a basic concept for general managers?

To spend the money they have on good players instead of a plethora of mediocre and bad ones?

Maybe I'm just crazy...

i edited my post, read it

Deberg_1990
01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like Dayton is content to stay in last place...

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Sounds like Dayton is content to stay in last place...

who else is out there that would help this team? i really can't think of anybody.

Sam Hall
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I look forward to seeing Tomko pitch Home Run Derby during the All-Star break. I would've preferred Anna Benson's husband or Matt Clement. I guess the Royals have found a replacement for Odalis Perez.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
right here:

i understand how you feel about not bringing in big name guys that are proven to help out teams, but when you're coming off of how many ever 100 loss seasons we've had and not making the playoffs in 21 years, it makes it a shit ton harder to lure in those big name guys. you have to spend money to get better, and this really is the only way to keep putting pieces around the young guys.

So, if the Chiefs did this, I assume you would feel the same way? Overpay for several old, mediocre players instead of either 1) Signing fewer, more impact players, 2) Investing that money in scouting (especially overseas and hispanic), or 3) Just save the money until we are ready to compete and can actually draw some of the FAs that maybe won't come here now.

KevB
01-20-2008, 10:40 PM
This deal really doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things. One year for $3M, when there really isn't anything else out there at this point. I was hoping for Leiber, but he signed elsewhere. With that said, this is the first move Dayton has made that I can't find an explanation for. I'm sure he's just looking for an experienced arm, but I just don't see him bringing anything to the table.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
So, if the Chiefs did this, I assume you would feel the same way? Overpay for several old, mediocre players instead of either 1) Signing fewer, more impact players, 2) Investing that money in scouting (especially overseas and hispanic), or 3) Just save the money until we are ready to compete and can actually draw some of the FAs that maybe won't come here now.

its totally a different situation. baseball there isn't a salary cap, so if you miss on somebody, its no big deal, unlike football where every dollar counts because of the cap. As an organization like the Royals, you have to be frivolous with your money on tons of guys, hoping at least 2-3 of them will pan out.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
who else is out there that would help this team? i really can't think of anybody.

Well, we already missed out on several of those players. But, rather than overpay for a washed up nobody, I would prefer to just throw a couple of our young arms out there and take our lumps.

I assume you were happy to play Huard over Croyle this year as well? Maybe the Chiefs should bring in a veteran QB next year like David Carr?

KC_Connection
01-20-2008, 10:42 PM
i edited my post, read it
It's understandable, but signing guys like Tomko and Guillen is not the answer to anything here. If the Gil Meche signing showed anything it was that good players are out there if you are willing to pay the money for them.

KC_Connection
01-20-2008, 10:44 PM
its totally a different situation. baseball there isn't a salary cap, so if you miss on somebody, its no big deal, unlike football where every dollar counts because of the cap. As an organization like the Royals, you have to be frivolous with your money on tons of guys, hoping at least 2-3 of them will pan out.
Of course it's a big deal. Instead of giving the ABs or innings to young players to advance the development of the team, guys like Guillen and Tomko will get their time. Either way, the team isn't going anywhere any time soon. There may be no salary cap, but that shouldn't prevent GMs from spending in a smart way.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
This deal really doesn't matter in the whole scheme of things. One year for $3M, when there really isn't anything else out there at this point. I was hoping for Leiber, but he signed elsewhere. With that said, this is the first move Dayton has made that I can't find an explanation for. I'm sure he's just looking for an experienced arm, but I just don't see him bringing anything to the table.

But it does matter if Tomko takes a spot in the rotation instead of a guy like Hochever. There will be young guys that get cut because they are out of options just so we can run Tomko and a 36 year old Ron Mahay out there. Guys like De La Rosa, Nunez, etc will probably be cut now.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Well, we already missed out on several of those players. But, rather than overpay for a washed up nobody, I would prefer to just throw a couple of our young arms out there and take our lumps.

I assume you were happy to play Huard over Croyle this year as well? Maybe the Chiefs should bring in a veteran QB next year like David Carr?

you're misinterpreting what im saying. like ive been saying, there isnt really such a thing as overpaying guys when the most youve paid for somebody is 11mil and other than that, 3-4mil a year seems to be their max. and again, as ive been saying, there isn't a salary cap so there isn't a limit on what you can spend, so all these guys are like chunk change. Its not like they don't try to throw the money at big players out there, its just much harder to get them here or we have to give up way too much young talent to do so.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Of course it's a big deal. Instead of giving the ABs or innings to young players to advance the development of the team, guys like Guillen and Tomko will get their time. Either way, the team isn't going anywhere any time soon. There may be no salary cap, but that shouldn't prevent GMs from spending in a smart way.

we have just about all of the young guys up that we're wanting/needing right now and they arent going to have anything taken away from them at all. our other young guys are still in the minors getting more experience before the bigs. its not like the guys we bring in we keep for ever and ever.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:50 PM
But it does matter if Tomko takes a spot in the rotation instead of a guy like Hochever. There will be young guys that get cut because they are out of options just so we can run Tomko and a 36 year old Ron Mahay out there. Guys like De La Rosa, Nunez, etc will probably be cut now.

see, now you're just making assumptions. honestly, i think de la rosa and nunez aren't going anywhere.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 10:51 PM
you're misinterpreting what im saying. like ive been saying, there isnt really such a thing as overpaying guys when the most youve paid for somebody is 11mil and other than that, 3-4mil a year seems to be their max. and again, as ive been saying, there isn't a salary cap so there isn't a limit on what you can spend, so all these guys are like chunk change. Its not like they don't try to throw the money at big players out there, its just much harder to get them here or we have to give up way too much young talent to do so.

I agree that it's harder to get them here.

But I completely disagree on the part about there being reprocussions when overpaying for bad players.

If a few of these overpriced veterans have bad years, and we have paid them 20+ million or whatever combined, just wait and see how open the Glass's are to opening up their wallets when it really matters. Keep missing on the Reggie Sanders', Brett Tomko's, Scott Elarton's of the world and paying them WAY more than they're worth, and eventually the money to sign anyone will be gone.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 10:52 PM
see, now you're just making assumptions. honestly, i think de la rosa and nunez aren't going anywhere.

Then who is? Name the pitchers, rotation and bullpen as you see it, as of today.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Then who is? Name the pitchers, rotation and bullpen as you see it, as of today.

meche, bannister, greinke, hochevar(most likely 4 or 5) and at least one of the older guys we've brought in.

alanm
01-20-2008, 10:57 PM
I think their bringing in Tomko as a setup guy and maybe a emergency starter. That's the only thing that is somewhat reasonable.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 10:57 PM
bullpen would be nunez(hes definitely more suited for the bullpen), soria as our closer, gobble as our lefty setup guy, john bale as an innings eater, and i can't remember off of the top of my head who else we got.

alanm
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
bullpen would be nunez(hes definitely more suited for the bullpen), soria as our closer, gobble as our lefty setup guy, john bale as an innings eater, and i can't remember off of the top of my head who else we got.
Yeah, But you can't count on any of these guys not going on the disabled list at least once or twice in the season.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Here is how it will probably go as of today:

Starters:

Meche
Greinke
Bannister
Tomko
Davies

Bullpen:

Mahay (36 yrs old, just signed to 2 yrs/8 mil.)
Gobble
Soria
Yabuta
Peralta
Nunez
Bale

On the outside looking in:

Braun
De La Rosa
Hochever
Lumsden
Duckworth
Hudson
Musser
Tsao
Lawrence

De La Rosa, Duckworth, Nunez, Davies and Hudson are all out of options, and most if not all would probably not clear waivers.

Is it you stance that you would rather run Tomko out there than let Hoch or Lumsden get their feet wet? There is no way Tomko doesn't make the team since we just paid him 3 million, so in your scenario above you have to add him in.

DJ's left nut
01-20-2008, 11:07 PM
they must see something they can fix in his delivery

Muahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

This is Tomko's siren song. There have been some truly elite pitching coaches that have been sure they can 'fix his delivery'....

It ain't his delivery, it's his ears. You can say all day "hey Brett, keep the same delivery with the lead as you do when you're losing," but that ain't fixin' a delivery, it's fixing a noggin and that's just not going to happen with this guy.

Hammock Parties
01-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Here is how it will probably go as of today:

Starters:

Meche
Greinke
Bannister
Tomko
Davies

Bullpen:

Mahay (36 yrs old, just signed to 2 yrs/8 mil.)
Gobble
Soria
Yabuta
Peralta
Nunez
Bale

On the outside looking in:

Braun
De La Rosa
Hochever
Lumsden
Duckworth
Hudson
Musser
Tsao
Lawrence

De La Rosa, Duckworth, Nunez, Davies and Hudson are all out of options, and most if not all would probably not clear waivers.

Is it you stance that you would rather run Tomko out there than let Hoch or Lumsden get their feet wet? There is no way Tomko doesn't make the team since we just paid him 3 million, so in your scenario above you have to add him in.

believe me, there is no way we're letting hochevar or lumsden out of our sights and those really are the only guys that the organization feels confident about. De La Rosa has had a couple of years with the organization and has shown he's probably not gonna get any better, Duckworth hasn't been that great for us and i bet he never will with anybody, hudson is coming off of a huge surgery and its not like he's all that young, so i see him being out of it, braun is on the older side and its ok to see him leave, musser sucks, tomko most likely wont be a starter.

petegz28
01-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't see Davies making the starting rotation out of spring training.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 11:19 PM
believe me, there is no way we're letting hochevar or lumsden out of our sights and those really are the only guys that the organization feels confident about. De La Rosa has had a couple of years with the organization and has shown he's probably not gonna get any better, Duckworth hasn't been that great for us and i bet he never will with anybody, hudson is coming off of a huge surgery and its not like he's all that young, so i see him being out of it, braun is on the older side and its ok to see him leave, musser sucks, tomko most likely wont be a starter.

This just doesn't make any sense. You are saying De La Rosa hasn't shown anything. He is 26 years old. His career ERA is 5.85.

Braun is on the older side??? He is 27 years old!

Musser is 27, had 19 K's in 24 innings last year and a 4.38 ERA

Tomko, however, is 35 years old, had a 5.55 ERA last year for a good team in a huge ballpark, and went 4-12. We paid THAT guy $3 Million? That really seems like a good signing to you?

And he WILL be a starter. Where do you see him fitting into the bullpen? And we don't pay guys $3 Million to not make the team. That is guaranteed money.

eazyb81
01-20-2008, 11:20 PM
More of a "ho-hum" signing than anything. Not a great one, but certainly not as terrible as some are making it out to be.

Bill James' prediction for Tomko in 08 is an ERA around 4.5, right around league average. That will go up a bit now that he's pitching in the AL, but not all that much. We're essentially paying $3 mill for a guy that can go out and give us league averagish innings from the rotation or coming out of the bullpen.

Tomko was awful last year, but that's also why he's coming so cheap (yes, $3 mill is cheap in MLB). The 3 years before he averaged out to have an ERA+ around 100.

No matter what he does next year, at least we can look at his Playboy wife.

doomy3
01-20-2008, 11:20 PM

Do you see him in the pen then? If so, in place of who that I mentioned? If not, then do you think we will outright release the guy? There is no way!

eazyb81
01-20-2008, 11:21 PM

He'll make it unless has has an absolutely awful spring. He's out of options.

Eleazar
01-21-2008, 12:03 AM
They could be using Tomko in the closer role, and maybe moving Soria to the rotation. I think the plan was for Soria to transition to starter anyway eventually wasn't it?

I guess he's no worse than any of the other arms out there. He's just a guy, but maybe if he could put his head on he could give us some innings.

KevB
01-21-2008, 12:21 AM

Lumsden absolutely isn't ready to pitch in the majors. Hoch could also use some more success in the minors before I'm comfortable with him. Tomko is a stopgap, giving us an option because those two guys aren't deemed ready yet.

Sure-Oz
01-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Tomko will fill his 1 year need with us, he can be long relief, start, or close...giving us some options.

88TG88
01-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Tomko will fill his 1 year need with us, he can be long relief, start, or close...giving us some options.
You'd think so but you will be proved wrong. The Dodgers tried him at almost every spot in the rotation and he sucked every time. Give him a few months, he'll go into bomko mode.

beavis
01-21-2008, 03:56 AM
Is it you stance that you would rather run Tomko out there than let Hoch or Lumsden get their feet wet?
IMO, "getting their feet wet" has ruined a lot of our most promising prospects in the past 10 years. I see this signing as a one year stop gap until Hooch is ready.

kcxiv
01-21-2008, 04:07 AM
this is almost as good as them getting Perez. Hell, Odalis was better . haha

kcxiv
01-21-2008, 04:07 AM
He gives NO options.

After browsing through this thread, i cannot stop laughing. He's freaking horrible. He cant be put in any situation. Not starting, not relieving, and if they think to put him in a closer's role, they need to be slapped in the face. When he enters the game, all you do is cringe and cover your face.

doomy3
01-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Lumsden absolutely isn't ready to pitch in the majors. Hoch could also use some more success in the minors before I'm comfortable with him. Tomko is a stopgap, giving us an option because those two guys aren't deemed ready yet.

see, this is what I don't understand.

Other teams (see Tigers, Marlins, Pirates, Brewers) have done this many times. Even if they struggle a year it ends up paying off.

Why is it that when the Royals use a stopgap, it's considered smart, but when the Chiefs do this at QB they're a bunch of dumbasses?

Sfeihc
01-21-2008, 07:43 AM
I'd rather have Tyson Tomko rather than "Gas Can" Tomko.

Eleazar
01-21-2008, 09:34 AM
see, this is what I don't understand.

Other teams (see Tigers, Marlins, Pirates, Brewers) have done this many times. Even if they struggle a year it ends up paying off.

Why is it that when the Royals use a stopgap, it's considered smart, but when the Chiefs do this at QB they're a bunch of dumbasses?

Were you paying attention when they forced Zack Greinke up at age 21, and he's going into year 4 now and has yet to come anywhere near living up to his billing?

Elwaysux
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I am very disappointed in the board. I had to find out on 610 that Tomko's wife is a former playmate. And I already know this post is worthless without pictures.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Tomko was a coathanger in his time with the Cardinals.

God, that guy sucks.