View Full Version : KU gets 2

Mr. Laz
01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Crawford Now a Jayhawk
Jocques Crawford

By Greg Powers
Scout.com
Posted Jan 20, 2008

Kansas fans were on the edge of their seats waiting on word from Jocques Crawford and how his visit went, but more importantly would he be a Jayhawk. While he could not be reached for comment Sunday night he had an interesting message on his phone.

It has been a good year for the Kansas Jayhawks football program. They not only captured an Orange Bowl victory, but now they are turning that on the field momentum in to recruiting success.

Last weekend Kansas reeled in a commitment from Blinn College receiver Rod Harris, and after his commitment the fans were optimistic about their chance to follow that verbal up with one from four-star running back Jocques Crawford, a 6-foot-0, 220-pounder.

Sunday night the news hit that KU’s hot streak had continued as Crawford had indeed decided to end the process by making a commitment to Mark Mangino. The four-star back, who rushed for 2,000 yards this season, was unavailable for comment Sunday night, but he had an original way of relaying the news to media outlets.

“If this is regarding football I am committed to the Kansas University and I am not taking anymore visits,” Crawford said on his cell phone’s voice mail message

===================================

Juco "Player-of-the-year" commits to Kansas

J-W Staff Reports

Posted Monday, January 21, 2008

advertisement

Kansas University’s football team received a commitment on Sunday from one of its top remaining targets.

Jocques Crawford, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound running back originally from Memphis, Tenn., gave the Jayhawks an oral commitment after taking an official visit this weekend, according to Rivals.com.

Crawford was the NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year in 2007, rushing for 1,935 yards and 19 touchdowns for Cisco (Texas) Junior College. It’s the most yards a juco back has rushed for in seven seasons.

He’s hoping to put up big numbers for the Jayhawks and thinks it’s possible thanks to KU’s scheme.

“I like the fact that it is a no-huddle (offense), and they keep the defense spread out with their formations,” Crawford told Rivals. “They get guys out of the box with what they do. This year I was used to facing defenses with nine in the box.”

Crawford, who will be a junior in 2008, will provide immediate relief to a position losing 1,000-yard rusher Brandon McAnderson to graduation. KU’s running-back position for 2008 now features Crawford, juniors Jake Sharp and Angus Quigley and sophomore Carmon Boyd-Anderson.

Crawford originally signed with Texas Tech, where his brother Joe currently is, but was a non-qualifier and enrolled at Cisco instead. He committed to Texas Tech again, but looked elsewhere after Tech revealed plans to use him on defense.

He eventually chose Kansas over TCU.

Being a May graduate, Crawford will sign early next month and move to campus this summer.

“I was stressing out where I would end up,” Crawford told Rivals. “I feel like Kansas is a place where I can step in and be the main guy.”

Kansas also received a commitment Sunday from Dublin (Ohio) standout Josh Richardson, a 6-4, 195-pound linebacker. Richardson is the brother of former Ohio State standout Jay Richardson, currently a defensive end on the NFL’s Oakland Raiders.

KU now has 20 known commitments for the 2008 class, including four who already are on campus.

The commitments of Crawford and Richardson are non-binding until the two sign letters of intent. Signing day is Feb. 6.

Eleazar
01-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Bout time you guys got started :p

Mr. Laz
01-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Bout time you guys got started :p
:cuss:

heh :)

... worried about our Oline more than anything

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Moved you all the way up to the 35th ranked class :p

mikeyis4dcats.
01-21-2008, 11:09 AM
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=3951663

nice guy!

Pablo
01-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Moved you all the way up to the 35th ranked class :pThat's perfectly acceptable. What's Mizzou's class ranking?

Pablo
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=3951663

nice guy!Yeah, that's swell. He'll get plenty more oppurtunities to assault 15 year old girls when he plays Mizzou. :p

Al Bundy
Mangino threatened to eat the guy out of house and home.

tomahawk kid
That's perfectly acceptable. What's Mizzou's class ranking?

About 25.

If we land Will Compton (4 Star LB), Zavier Gooden (3 Star DB) and Aaron Boyd (4 Star WR) we should be anywhere from 17-20th.

Sounds like all are definitely possible after this weekend's campus visits.

Bump
cool, sounds good to me

DJJasonp
01-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Excellent new....mangenius is on a roll...

DaKCMan AP
That's perfectly acceptable. What's Mizzou's class ranking?

Currently 24th.

ROYC75
Nice ....... Rock Chalk Jayhawk :KU:

KC Kings
Mangino threatened to eat the guy out...

What happens in Lawrence, stays in Lawrence.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah, that's swell. He'll get plenty more oppurtunities to assault 15 year old girls when he plays Mizzou. :p

LOL!

Braincase
01-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Currently 24th.

It's not where you start, it's where you finish. Last I checked, that means "ahead of Florida".

Pablo
01-21-2008, 11:21 AM
What's the website to find these draft class rankings?

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
It's not where you start, it's where you finish. Last I checked, that means "ahead of Florida".

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so hurt. ;)

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 11:27 AM
What's the website to find these draft class rankings?

I prefer rivals:

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

HC_Chief
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Sweeeeet :D
:KU:

Silock
01-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Draft class rankings would be awesome if they gave out trophies for that sort of thing.

jidar
01-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, that's swell. He'll get plenty more oppurtunities to assault 15 year old girls when he plays Mizzou. :p

ROFL omfg nice.

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Draft class rankings would be awesome if they gave out trophies for that sort of thing.

Yeah, they're pretty meaningless. Well, until you look into things a little:

Top 15 Teams in Recruiting from '03-'07

Ranked by average star rating. Average wins per season is last. BCS Champions in that time span are highlighted:

1.USC- 3.88- 11.8
2.Florida- 3.69- 9.2
3.Texas- 3.67- 10.8
4.LSU- 3.65- 11.2 (2 Championships)
5.Florida State- 3.58- 8.2
6.Michigan- 3.57- 9.2
7.Oklahoma- 3.57- 10.8
8.Georgia- 3.53- 10.2
9.Ohio State- 3.48- 10.4
10.Miami-FL- 3.46- 8.2
11.Tennessee- 3.39- 8.8
12.Notre Dame- 3.32- 6.6
13.Auburn- 3.23- 10
14.Penn State- 3.22- 7.2
15.Alabama- 3.15- 6.6

WilliamTheIrish
01-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Where is the phognetard hawkchief? I have to hear his opinion on Tyree Evans..er... Jocques Crawford?

Nice try Saul, but (KU) kicks guys like Giles and Giddens off his team, he doesn't travel the country seeking them out. Big difference.....
....Still going hard after cheaters (Walker), thugs (Pope, Mayo) and rapists (Tyree Evans)..

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3505990&highlight=Tyree#post3505990

Stewie
01-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Yeah, the rankings don't mean much but it's nice to see KU getting some highly touted players. I know Nebraska has several star recruits on their roster and look where they are. We won the Orange Bowl with nary a blue-chip recruit.

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, the rankings don't mean much unless you want to win championships, but it's nice to see KU getting some highly touted players. I know Nebraska has several star recruits on their roster and look where they are. We won the Orange Bowl with nary a blue-chip recruit.

FYP

Stewie
01-21-2008, 12:29 PM
FYP

Those National Championships are mythical until they get a playoff system.

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Those National Championships are mythical until they get a playoff system.

Semantics. They're still national championships. The top 4 recruiting teams have won the last 5 NCs (or MNCs) and all of the NC (or MNC) winners over the past 18 years are in the top-15 in terms of recruiting.

duncan_idaho
01-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah, the rankings don't mean much but it's nice to see KU getting some highly touted players. I know Nebraska has several star recruits on their roster and look where they are. We won the Orange Bowl with nary a blue-chip recruit.

A good portion of Nebraska's highest rated players under Callahan were JUCO transfers... of which about 50 percent seem to live up to the hype and 50 percent of which are busts. For whatever reason, JUCO basketball players seems to be much better bets than JUCO football players. It seems to be the case no matter what school is involved.

Will be interesting to see if Crawford is the next Thunder Collins or the next Damien Nash. Nontheless, still a great get for kansas, which wouldn't have sniffed a player like this in the past.

Silock
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, they're pretty meaningless. Well, until you look into things a little:

Top 15 Teams in Recruiting from '03-'07

Ranked by average star rating. Average wins per season is last. BCS Champions in that time span are highlighted:

1.USC- 3.88- 11.8
2.Florida- 3.69- 9.2
3.Texas- 3.67- 10.8
4.LSU- 3.65- 11.2 (2 Championships)
5.Florida State- 3.58- 8.2
6.Michigan- 3.57- 9.2
7.Oklahoma- 3.57- 10.8
8.Georgia- 3.53- 10.2
9.Ohio State- 3.48- 10.4
10.Miami-FL- 3.46- 8.2
11.Tennessee- 3.39- 8.8
12.Notre Dame- 3.32- 6.6
13.Auburn- 3.23- 10
14.Penn State- 3.22- 7.2
15.Alabama- 3.15- 6.6

Notre Dame - 12. LOL
Florida State - 5. LOL

When was the last time either of those teams were really that good? Certainly not recently.

Meaningless. Texas, LSU, USC and Florida have always had good classes, even before the rankings.

Mr. Laz
01-21-2008, 12:38 PM
one good thing about Global warming ....... at least the limp dick nation will cease to exist.

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Notre Dame - 12. LOL
Florida State - 5. LOL

When was the last time either of those teams were really that good? Certainly not recently.

Meaningless. Texas, LSU, USC and Florida have always had good classes, even before the rankings.

Florida State still gets very good talent every year. The combination of thugs, bad coaching and lopsided classes (too many good LBs each year instead of balance) has doomed them.

Sam Hall
01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Speculation is Compton could go either way deciding between Mizzou and Nebraska. He might decide in the next few days.

chiefscafan
01-21-2008, 01:43 PM
well alabama is number 2 and still two highly recruited players decieding . the guy I hope we get is julio jones 6'4 runs a 4.4-4.5 and has great balance watch out for the tide and saban.

Eleazar
01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Speculation is Compton could go either way deciding between Mizzou and Nebraska. He might decide in the next few days.

Why would he go to Nebraska? :fire:

HolyHandgernade
01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
1.USC- 3.88- 11.8
2.Florida- 3.69- 9.2
3.Texas- 3.67- 10.8

If only those regions that the schools reside in produced a little bit of talent! I mean, come on, you have to admit the deck is a little stacked for those schools to always have the top rated classes, they don't have to go out of state to find their players, those players are probably fans of those schools growing up through high school.

If you put USC in Carson City, Texas in Helena, and Florida in Santa Fe, do you really think the programs themselves could sustain themselves without their location?

-HH

Sam Hall
01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Why would he go to Nebraska? :fire:

I suspect you're being sarcastic, but Bo knows defense.

tomahawk kid
01-21-2008, 01:55 PM

He told rivals he'd make a decision by tommorow.

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 02:06 PM
well alabama is number 2 and still two highly recruited players decieding . the guy I hope we get is julio jones 6'4 runs a 4.4-4.5 and has great balance watch out for the tide and saban.

Julio was in Gainesville through today and reportedly had a great visit and enjoyed the basketball game on Saturday night. Hopefully we can nab him. :D

Word is we have 2 silents (probably Omar Hunter and William Green) and then 1 spot left if we choose to fill it.

Mosbonian
01-21-2008, 05:43 PM
About 25.

If we land Will Compton (4 Star LB), Zavier Gooden (3 Star DB) and Aaron Boyd (4 Star WR) we should be anywhere from 17-20th.

Sounds like all are definitely possible after this weekend's campus visits.

It might not be safe to wear my Tiger gear should Boyd snub Kentucky for Mizzou.....listening to the locals they are sure he will stay home and play in his hometown.

mmaddog

tomahawk kid
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
It might not be safe to wear my Tiger gear should Boyd snub Kentucky for Mizzou.....listening to the locals they are sure he will stay home and play in his hometown.

mmaddog

Sounds like Mizzou has put the full court press on.

Should be interesting to see what happens.

Sam Hall
01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Compton's mom seems to like Nebraska, so I like the Huskers' chances. Mizzou might be his third choice behind Nebraska and Illinois. Compton has remained on Nebraska's commit list through the turmoil according to Rivals.

chiefscafan
01-22-2008, 05:38 AM
dakman

i hope your wrong he had a good visit at bama too. plus we are near his hometown. The kid is amazing whoever gets him is super lucky.

DaKCMan AP
01-23-2008, 07:25 AM
dakman

i hope your wrong he had a good visit at bama too. plus we are near his hometown. The kid is amazing whoever gets him is super lucky.

It's looking like Florida is out of the running for JJ. However, we did nab 5-star DT Omar Hunter (who decommitted from ND a few weeks ago) catapulting us to the #1 class for the moment :D

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=880

tomahawk kid
01-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Compton's mom seems to like Nebraska, so I like the Huskers' chances. Mizzou might be his third choice behind Nebraska and Illinois. Compton has remained on Nebraska's commit list through the turmoil according to Rivals.

All signs pointing to Compton staying with the Huskers.

However, the Tigers did get a commit from Zavier Gooden last night. He's been pretty highly recruited out of Texas. I felt all along that MU had to get ONE of these guys.

Looks like he could play safety or grow into a LB.

Turned down OU to come play for my Tigers, so that always makes me giggle.

I'd still like to get Compton, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

tomahawk kid
01-23-2008, 07:46 AM

I've heard his mother is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too involved in Will's recruiting process.

duncan_idaho
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I've heard his mother is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too involved in Will's recruiting process.

Compton's little brother is a factor as well as his mom (who is Catholic and loved being taken to church by Pelini, a fellow Catholic). The younger Compton is a top-notch wrestler and apparently loves the Nebraska wrestling coach.

Who knows, though? This kid knows how to work the process.

I'm excited about Gooden. He's been near the top of my wish list for quite a while now.

The Mizzou coaching staff is looking at him as a LB... apparently, they have an intense system for measuring a player and determining how big that player can get without losing athleticism.

Mr. Laz
01-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Nothing like a KU recruiting thread to get a nice Mizzou/Nebraska conversation going. :spock:

duncan_idaho
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Nothing like a KU recruiting thread to get a nice Mizzou/Nebraska conversation going. :spock:

I'm sure this Compton conversation will get its own once the announcement is made in two hours...

Mr. Laz
01-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm sure this Compton conversation will get its own once the announcement is made in two hours...
oh good ...... you gonna start your own thread or just jump in the nearest KU one?

chiefscafan
01-23-2008, 10:49 AM
dakman the jones kid is amazing . Him along with the rest of the class may make us #1 when all is said and done. like him or not saban is a great recruiter.

duncan_idaho
01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
oh good ...... you gonna start your own thread or just jump in the nearest KU one?

Don't see you complaining about the Julio Jones conversation that's going on.

Just responding to what was at the top of the thread, man.

We can go back to talking about Crawford if you want, though.

So kU is planning on JUCOs replacing Collins and McAnderson now, right? Which one is more likely to succeed, D'Cunha or Crawford? I've heard a lot of hype about D'Cunha.

Skip Towne
01-23-2008, 10:58 AM

So kU is planning on JUCOs replacing Collins and McAnderson now, right? Which one is more likely to succeed, D'Cunha or Crawford? I've heard a lot of hype about D'Cunha.
OJ Simpson was a JUCO player.

duncan_idaho
01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
OJ Simpson was a JUCO player.

He's also a murderer and a criminal. And irrelevant.

I'm just asking for kU fans' opinion on which JUCO is more likely to make a big impact off the bat. I'm not saying one of them won't or that both of them will. Just asking which one kU fans are more excited about.

DaKCMan AP
01-23-2008, 11:53 AM
dakman the jones kid is amazing . Him along with the rest of the class may make us #1 when all is said and done. like him or not saban is a great recruiter.

JJ is a great prospect and talent, but I don't know that he alone volts Alabama to #1. As it stands now, Bama is over 200pts behind our class and we still have 1 definite commit (William Green - 4star LB out of Hoover, Ala) and then 1 slot left that may or may not be filled. Bama already has 26 commits (compared to our 22). How many schollys does Bama have left?

ChiTown
01-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Where is the phognetard hawkchief? I have to hear his opinion on Tyree Evans..er... Jocques Crawford?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3505990&highlight=Tyree#post3505990

HE WAS NEVER CONVICTED!!!111111!!!!111111!!!!!11111

:LOL:

alanm
01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
JUCO players are a crap shoot. Ask Bill Callahan. ;)

ChiTown
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
JUCO players are a crap shoot. Ask Bill Callahan. ;)

Or, ask Bill Snyder..........

chiefscafan
01-23-2008, 02:03 PM
dakcman

is green confirmed??? rivals says he's still undecided

if he left florida uncommited i'd be worried if i were u.

The last thing I heard, he said is the rumors of him making a decision is not true.

ONe he is and was a bama fan growing up and is waiting on bama to really woo him which we aren't . However he still hasn't rulled out.

Another thing is man your coaching staff screwed up this last weekend. You brought burton in to sway him to florida. However sabin sent him in there and he tried to recruit green and jones the whole time to Alabama.

We are running out of room but they are now hot after the Mark ingram kid from michigan.

Also Jerell harris after his visit to auburn seemed headed to bama . Also top 4 star prospects.

I give it up to you stealing the kid from Notre dame , but it isn't over yet sabin seems to have more tricks up his sleve.

by the way thought you'd think this is funny being an SEC guy about prospect LB upshaw,

The quote of the week came when Upshaw noted the Auburn coaching staff was still recruiting him. “They said I could come to Auburn and be another Quentin Groves. I told them that I could go to Alabama and be another Quentin Groves,”

Mr. Laz
01-23-2008, 02:55 PM

actually i think they already have the replacement for McAnderson on the roster.

he looked pretty good from what i've seen ... Quigley is his name iirc.

sharp will start with Quigley to fill the "thunder" role.

Lzen
01-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Notre Dame - 12. LOL
Florida State - 5. LOL

Yes, good coaches can produce winning programs even with 2 star recruits. But to say those rankings are meaningless is silly. I'll bet the stats say that 4 and 5 star recruits tend to do much better (overall) than 1 and 2 stars. This is great news for KU. It's great that certain folks were saying that this one season wouldn't do much for KU in recruiting. Several recruits like this one have proven those smart guys wrong. :)

Chief Chief
01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Crawford Now a Jayhawk
“If this is regarding football I am committed to the Kansas University and I am not taking anymore visits,” Crawford said on his cell phone’s voice mail message...

"...THE Kansas University..." ? ? ? ?

I thought they only did that at THE Ohio State University...or is it now called THE University of Ohio State?

Sam Hall
01-23-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd be careful about expecting JUCOs to make an immediate impact. It takes a lot of them half a season or more from what I've seen the last couple years.

DaKCMan AP
01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
I'd be careful about expecting JUCOs to make an immediate impact. It takes a lot of them half a season or more from what I've seen the last couple years.

That's why when you bring in a JUCO you get them early-enrolled so that they start school, working out and practicing with the team the spring semester prior to football in the fall.