PDA

View Full Version : FOX: Rivers had surgery before AFC Title game

OnTheWarpath15
01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Wow. First I've heard of this.

And LT will "probably" sit out the Pro Bowl? You're too hurt to help your team, but OK enough to go jerkoff in Hawaii in 3 weeks?

http://nmsn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7686026?MSNHPHMA

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers said Monday that he had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee a week ago in order to play in the AFC championship game, and that he'll need surgery on the torn anterior cruciate ligament in the same joint.

Rivers made it through Sunday's 21-12 loss to the perfect New England Patriots despite the damage to his knee, which he sustained in an upset win over the Indianapolis Colts a week earlier.

Rivers said he'd like to have surgery as soon as possible on the torn ACL.

"It's gone," he said. "I don't know exactly the details on that. I'll be ready by training camp."

Rivers said he had arthroscopic surgery a week earlier to clean out damaged cartilage.

"It wasn't real extensive, but I mean, really that was the only way I would have had a chance to play by doing that on Monday," he said. "I thought maybe I could come back in the Colts game but it was catching. That's what we did on Monday to give me the chance to play on Sunday."

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson said he's not going to need surgery on the sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee, which he originally hurt in the Indianapolis game.

Tomlinson carried only twice Sunday, both in the game's first drive, and caught a short screen pass the following series before retiring to the sideline for good.

Tomlinson said he'll probably sit out the Pro Bowl.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow. Tomlinson looks really tough in comparison.

OnTheWarpath15
01-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Yeah.

I was updating my comments as you posted that.

I'll give Rivers credit. At least he made the effort.

I have a hard time believing that LT sitting was a "coaches decision" as the CBS crew claimed it to be.

Bill S Preston
01-21-2008, 04:13 PM

Moron. You can't compare knee injuries between quarterbacks and runningbacks. I haven't seen Rivers needing to juke out many linebackers this year.

Bill S Preston
01-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah.

I was updating my comments as you posted that.

I'll give Rivers credit. At least he made the effort.

I have a hard time believing that LT sitting was a "coaches decision" as the CBS crew claimed it to be.

It's stupid to play a runningback who can't juke or cut effectively when you have two very capable runningbacks behind him. LaDainian makes people miss, and he wouldn't have been able to do it effectively enough with a sprained knee.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Moron. You can't compare knee injuries between quarterbacks and runningbacks. I haven't seen Rivers needing to juke out many linebackers this year.

Sorry if that comment irritated your ass tulip, but the guy is playing in the biggest game of his life, and the other two key players on the offense are playing on a dislocated toe (Gates), and a torn ACL (Rivers). He has the least severe injury of the three, said he'd be ready all week when the other two didn't, and then bitched out three plays in.

Bill S Preston
01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry if that comment irritated your ass tulip, but the guy is playing in the biggest game of his life, and the other two key players on the offense are playing on a dislocated toe (Gates), and a torn ACL (Rivers). He has the least severe injury of the three, said he'd be ready all week when the other two didn't, and then bitched out three plays in.

Really dipshit. You don't think he wanted to be out there? When you can't run or cut effectively, and you carry two runningbacks on the active roster who can, why sacrifice the teams chances of winning by playing someone who can't run effectively. What Gates and Rivers did is entirely inconsequential when talking about LT. They played because at 50% they were still effective enough out on the field, Ladainian was not.

Sure-Oz
01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
The guy could've atleast gave it a go, and been a decoy on some plays atleast, but he decided to pout on the bench the rest of the game. He wasn't even on the sidelines rooting his team on..

Hammock Parties
01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Stop fighting. Be nice to each other.

Bill S Preston
01-21-2008, 04:40 PM
The guy could've atleast gave it a go, and been a decoy on some plays atleast, but he decided to pout on the bench the rest of the game. He wasn't even on the sidelines rooting his team on..

How do you know what he was doing? You were able to judge his entire demeanor and attitude on the sideline from the couple of shots CBS choose for you to see?

Mecca
01-21-2008, 04:43 PM

I said as much in another thread, no matter if people like Rivers or not he's got heart and he's tough as nails. He was playing on that while LT was sitting on the bench and pouting..I wonder which one is the leader of that team...tough call huh?

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Really dipshit. You don't think he wanted to be out there? When you can't run or cut effectively, and you carry two runningbacks on the active roster who can, why sacrifice the teams chances of winning by playing someone who can't run effectively. What Gates and Rivers did is entirely inconsequential when talking about LT. They played because at 50% they were still effective enough out on the field, Ladainian was not.

Some guys play when they're hurt, some don't. Tomlinson obviously doesn't like to.

Mr. Arrowhead
01-21-2008, 04:47 PM
I not a big rivers fan, but i got a all new kind of repect for him now. That just takes guts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I said as much in another thread, no matter if people like Rivers or not he's got heart and he's tough as nails. He was playing on that while LT was sitting on the bench and pouting..I wonder which one is the leader of that team...tough call huh?

LT has class, just ask him, he'll tell you.

And to Mr. S. Preston, Esquire:

Jack Youngblood, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Tony Dorsett, LaDainian Tomlinson.

One of those is not like the other, and to give you a hint, the correct answer isn't Youngblood.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
LT has class, just ask him, he'll tell you.

And to Mr. S. Preston, Esquire:

Jack Youngblood, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Tony Dorsett, LaDainian Tomlinson.

One of those is not like the other, and to give you a hint, the correct answer isn't Youngblood.

Did you read the thread where the guy told me Rivers was immature and selfish for playing?

If people don't like someone they will spin anything, like Owens when he played on a broken leg "I do it, I'm a glory hound, Brett Favre does it, he's a hero" and that is really true, if you aren't liked anything you do can be spun into a negative.

Sure-Oz
01-21-2008, 04:52 PM
How do you know what he was doing? You were able to judge his entire demeanor and attitude on the sideline from the couple of shots CBS choose for you to see?
Where was he after the game, sure he may have got up to scratch his ass once in awhile, but this guy didn't have a broken leg like TO, or a torn acl like Rivers. Maybe a few other players, id think he would've done the best he could, get some pain killers, wrap it, whatever...he may not get another chance like that again. I have seen others that i have ripped on personally do their best to play hurt, he didn't imo.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 04:53 PM
For anyone that is had a knee injury, a sprained MCL is a pretty minor injury. It shouldn't keep you from contributing in the biggest game of your life.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Did you read the thread where the guy told me Rivers was immature and selfish for playing?

If people don't like someone they will spin anything, like Owens when he played on a broken leg "I do it, I'm a glory hound, Brett Favre does it, he's a hero" and that is really true, if you aren't liked anything you do can be spun into a negative.

Nah, I haven't been around the last few days.

That's rich, though. I will say that it makes more sense given the way he was stepping into some of his throws yesterday. Needless to say, I don't like him as a person, I think he's a prick, but I respect his toughness and will to play through pain.

Bill S Preston
01-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Some guys play when they're hurt, some don't. Tomlinson obviously doesn't like to.

Very good. When you can't cut or juke effectively, you would hurt the team more than help by staying in there. LT has never missed a game in his entire career due to injury, and he has played through cracked ribs, and strained groins. If he could have run effectively, he would have played.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
San Diego fans aren't nearly as forgiving as you are..

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=53180

ROYC75
01-21-2008, 05:15 PM
For anyone that is had a knee injury, a sprained MCL is a pretty minor injury. It shouldn't keep you from contributing in the biggest game of your life.

Depending how bad it is, I had one it was a real bitch just to walk for awhile, like 2 weeks for it to ease up.

BigMeatballDave
01-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I have more respect Rivers, now. I think I lost a bit for LT.

BigMeatballDave
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
Aren't they allowed to use Cortisone?

OnTheWarpath15
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
I have more respect Rivers, now. I think I lost a bit for LT.

Yep.

As a person, he's a douchebag.

But at least he gives everything he has to the team.

If LT, Roidman, Castillo and Shaun Phillips would have played with half of the heart Rivers did, they would have won that game easily.

The Chargers picked a bad day to have their leaders take the day off.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 05:35 PM
In fairness their defense played as well as you can ask for against NE...they couldn't get it in the endzone..yo where's LT when you need him?

OnTheWarpath15
01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
In fairness their defense played as well as you can ask for against NE...they couldn't get it in the endzone..yo where's LT when you need him?

How much better would they have played if those 3 had bothered to show up?

I mean, Merriman, Phillips and Castillo are guys that have to be difference makers.

None of them made an impact on the game. None.

IIRC, there were 7 tackles made between the 3 of them.

Take away a gift INT because Stallworth got lazy and another where Cromartie was all but handed the ball, and that game looks a lot different.

Sorry, but if guys like McCree and Weddle are having better days than your studs, you're not going to beat a team like NE at their place.

Elite players have to come to play EVERY game.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 05:44 PM
All I'm gonna say is 21 against NE, you'll take that every time.

Ah well San Diego is better than the teams we watched play for the NFC title so NE should be thrilled now.

Hammock Parties
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I still don't understand how we beat San Diego. Mecca can you turn it into a negative for me?

Mecca
01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I still don't understand how we beat San Diego. Mecca can you turn it into a negative for me?

San Diego was complete ass at the beginning of the season, nothing more nothing less. They were playing below their capability and the Chiefs were playing well above theirs and were actually a statistical anomaly.

By the end of the year they both became what they should have been, that's all.

Hammock Parties
01-21-2008, 05:49 PM
It's still the same players on both sides.

Maybe Herm isn't so bad...

Mecca
01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
It's still the same players on both sides.

Maybe Herm isn't so bad...

If the Chiefs become a talented team we'll never be better than 11-5 or 10-6 just look at his Jets history...

bkkcoh
01-21-2008, 05:53 PM
That sure was a nice lie about Rivers saying that he didn't hear anything about an ACL. I am pretty sure they mentioned that prior to the game.

I am sure that if LT, Rivers and Gates would have been anywhere close to 90 - 95%, it would have changed the out come of the game. I am sure they wouldn't have bogged down in the red zone and would have scored at least 1 touchdown. Who knows what NE would have done, but they would have probably forced the downfield issue a little more.

OnTheWarpath15
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
San Diego was complete ass at the beginning of the season, nothing more nothing less. They were playing below their capability and the Chiefs were playing well above theirs and were actually a statistical anomaly.

By the end of the year they both became what they should have been, that's all.

Coupled with the fact that Norv Turner went ****ing retarded at halftime.

IIRC, LT had GOUGED us for over 100 yards in the first half.

So what does Genius Norv do?

Gives LT 5 carries in the second half, and puts the game in Rivers hands.

Plus, it was mentioned on the broadcast yesterday that early in the season, the SD defensive players had no clue as to what the hell was going on.

Valiant
01-21-2008, 05:59 PM
The temporary San Diego fans aren't nearly as forgiving as you are..

fixed your post..

Bill S Preston
01-21-2008, 06:11 PM
San Diego fans aren't nearly as forgiving as you are..

Who cares what a bunch of twelve year olds say on Chargers.com? The training staff, coaching staff, and players side with me. Everyone else can go to hell. LT would not have missed that game if he could have been effective in any way.

ChiefsLV
01-21-2008, 06:20 PM

but.. but.... he's made of glass... This is only knee #1

kstater
01-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Who cares what a bunch of twelve year olds say on Chargers.com? The training staff, coaching staff, and players side with me. Everyone else can go to hell. LT would not have missed that game if he could have been effective in any way.

Who cares what you have to say?

kcxiv
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
I remember when Dixon tried to keep playing for the Ducks. Didnt work out for him either. If its his knee and he's a running back. Dont even bother. Your not going to last long anyways. The first real cut you do its over.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-21-2008, 06:56 PM
I remember when Dixon tried to keep playing for the Ducks. Didnt work out for him either. If its his knee and he's a running back. Dont even bother. Your not going to last long anyways. The first real cut you do its over.

Dixon tore his ACL, LT had a sprained MCL.

BigMeatballDave
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I remember when DeBerg played with a pin sticking out of his little finger. Dude had cast iron balls...

the Talking Can
01-21-2008, 07:41 PM
LT is a pussy.

Signed,

Emmit Smith

beach tribe
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Who cares what you have to say?
Nobody.

txhawk
01-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I doubt LT is a puss and didn't want to play. He couldn't cut properly running the football is the most likely scenario. But even scarier to the coaching staff is the fact that his pass protection was probably beyond terrible and they didn't want to risk Rivers gettin jacked in the backfield, with a torn ACL.

I find it hilarious to read people on message boards calling NFL players pansies for not playing with injuries. As they hide behind their keyboards, and probably have no idea what it's like to be involved in such a physical activity injured.

FRCDFED
01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
All I'm gonna say is 21 against NE, you'll take that every time.

Ah well San Diego is better than the teams we watched play for the NFC title so NE should be thrilled now.I would like to know what you base your comments on sometimes. The Giants gave NE all they could handle in the season finale and lost by only three. Last time I checked, that was less than the nine that the Chargers lost by. Therefore, the Giants are better than the Chargers. Faulty logic? Maybe. At least I can provide a reference for my opinion. To say that the Chargers are better than both the Giants and Packers is just crazy talk.

FRCDFED
01-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I doubt LT is a puss and didn't want to play. He couldn't cut properly running the football is the most likely scenario. But even scarier to the coaching staff is the fact that his pass protection was probably beyond terrible and they didn't want to risk Rivers gettin jacked in the backfield, with a torn ACL.

I find it hilarious to read people on message boards calling NFL players pansies for not playing with injuries. As they hide behind their keyboards, and probably have no idea what it's like to be involved in such a physical activity injured.
Amen brother!! I have had three knee surgeries to include ACL replacement, torn cartilege repair (all three time), and injured my knee a fourth time that caused me to wear a straight brace for 6 months. There is no way a RB can be effective with a torn up knee.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM
You apparently forgot to look at the talent on the Chargers team....Yea the Chargers lost by 9..with a QB without a knee, their best player pouting about and their best receiver on 1 foot. I'm sorry I think the top 3 AFC teams are all better than any NFC team.

Also an ACL injury and/or a cartiledge injury is much more severe than a sprained MCL. You can't compare those much different kinds of injurys.

FRCDFED
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
You apparently forgot to look at the talent on the Chargers team....Yea the Chargers lost by 9..with a QB without a knee, their best player pouting about and their best receiver on 1 foot. I'm sorry I think the top 3 AFC teams are all better than any NFC team.

Also an ACL injury and/or a cartiledge injury is much more severe than a sprained MCL. You can't compare those much different kinds of injurys.We really don't know how bad his knee is. You and I both know that teams minimize so that the league and public never know the full extent of the injury.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Running back LaDainian Tomlinson said he's not going to need surgery on the sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee, which he originally hurt in the Indianapolis game.

Tomlinson carried only twice Sunday, both in the game's first drive, and caught a short screen pass the following series before retiring to the sideline for good.

Tomlinson said he'll probably sit out the Pro Bowl.

If he plays in the Pro Bowl he should be ashamed of himself...

FRCDFED
01-21-2008, 09:07 PM
From PFT.

LEAGUE SATISFIED WITH CHARGERS' INJURY REPORT

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the league won't be looking into whether the Chargers fudged the injury report regarding running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

"He was listed in the Chargers' injury report on Wednesday and Thursday with a knee injury," Aiello told us by e-mail on Monday. "He started yesterday and re-injured the knee."

The league's conclusion meshes with Tomlinson's post-game comments, which indicate that the 2006 NFL MVP re-injured the knee on the first play from scrimmage.

"It was just the impact of getting hit that first play, right on it,'' Tomlinson said. "I thought that would be the test, taking a hit on it. I don't know how I get direct hits on it . . . it's just been two bad weeks for me. I usually don't take shots like that. It just happened.''

Still, we wonder how much the coaching staff knew about the knee before the game. Even though Tomlinson was listed on two of the three injury reports, he fully participated in practice on Thursday and Friday. And in the final Friday report, he was deemed to be so healthy that he wasn't even mentioned.

But coach Norv Turner talked after the game as if Tomlinson was still injured when the game started, suggesting it was less of a re-injury than it was an injury that really hadn't healed. Complicating matters is that L.T.'s in-game status was described not as an injury but as a "coach's decision," which implied that Tomlinson could have returned.

So there's something funny going on here, in our view. Then again, plenty of funny things go on, in our view, with the league's far-from-perfect procedure for ensuring that inside information isn't available to gamblers. The core of the problem is that there's only so much that the league can do to force teams to be forthcoming. And while the system might not be perfect, it might also be the best thing that the league can devise.

Silock
01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Arthroscopic surgery isn't even really surgery. It's almost as minor a procedure as getting stitches.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Arthroscopic surgery isn't even really surgery. It's almost as minor a procedure as getting stitches.

Did you miss the torn ACL part? He had the scope so his cartiledge woudn't catch in his joint when he was trying to play...it still doesn't change that he played with no ACL.

Silock
01-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Did you miss the torn ACL part? He had the scope so his cartiledge woudn't catch in his joint when he was trying to play...it still doesn't change that he played with no ACL.

I'm just saying that the big deal isn't that he had surgery. Was it a full tear or a partial tear? You can still play pretty easily with a partial tear, and not so much with a full tear. I would imagine it's partial, which really isn't *that* bad.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Um when he's saying he needs surgery on the torn ACL and "it's gone" that sounds like a full tear to me.

penguinz
01-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Um when he's saying he needs surgery on the torn ACL and "it's gone" that sounds like a full tear to me.It was partial. If it was a full tear it would have been too swollen to play.

Mecca
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
That depends actually, some people get huge swelling others it will subside in a few days. Some people can walk on a torn ACL others can't.

There really isn't any sure fire way to know based on things like that well other than an MRI.

doomy3
01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
It was partial. If it was a full tear it would have been too swollen to play.

Uh, maybe check the internet before you type this stuff.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1813

Jan. 21 - 5:54 pm et

Philip Rivers' ACL is completely torn and will need reconstructive surgery.

Initial reports were he only had a partial tear. Rivers maintains he will be ready by the start of training camp, but previous timetables regarding these injuries indicate that's optimistic. Carson Palmer had a similarly timed injury and made it back for Week 1, but wasn't quite the same for awhile.
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

WestFan
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
For those fans that say LT should have sucked it up and played with a sprained/strained MCL injury:

Didn't Larry Johnson miss the last half of the 2004 season because of a MCL strain?

The Giants' Brandon Jacobs and Raiders' Justin Fargas missed games this year because of the same injury.

Cedric Benson and Fred Taylor missed games last year and this year as well due to the same injury.

Yet, people expect LT to go right back in after suffering it in Sunday's game?

KcMizzou
01-22-2008, 12:51 AM
For those fans that say LT should have sucked it up and played with a sprained/strained MCL injury:

Didn't Larry Johnson miss the last half of the 2004 season because of a MCL strain?

The Giants' Brandon Jacobs and Raiders' Justin Fargas missed games this year because of the same injury.

Cedric Benson and Fred Taylor missed games last year and this year as well due to the same injury.

Yet, people expect LT to go right back in after suffering it in Sunday's game?Eh, I figure if Tomlinson was good to go, he'd have gone.

WestFan
01-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Eh, I figure if Tomlinson was good to go, he'd have gone.

Well, I recall he played the entire month of December 2005 with cracked ribs because of a cheap shot from a Raiders player.

He also played eight games in 2004 with a groin injury suffered from a horse-collar tackle early in that season.

So, yeah, if L.T. couldn't go, he couldn't go.

It's surprising the crap he's getting from people who've never played RB or suffered a knee ligament injury. I see that the likes of Tiki Barber, Emmitt Smith, and Jerome Bettis have kept quiet about this since they probably know how badly any knee ligament injury totally screws up a RB's ability to function, especially one that relies on quick cuts, and not just powering ahead like a bulldozer.

Consistent1
01-22-2008, 01:32 AM
He must have been pretty f'd up. They do have other good backs and a lot tied up in LT money wise. I can see the logic of just playing Turner if his knee was really bothering him. Why run him for 5 more plays, get him hurt for good, and still lose? Then you are screwed in every way. He wasn't going to be anything like normal, and Turner is pretty good. Now, if he does happen to play in the Pro Bowl, THAT would be bullshit.

blueballs
01-22-2008, 02:22 AM

WestFan
01-22-2008, 03:54 AM
He must have been pretty f'd up. They do have other good backs and a lot tied up in LT money wise. I can see the logic of just playing Turner if his knee was really bothering him. Why run him for 5 more plays, get him hurt for good, and still lose? Then you are screwed in every way. He wasn't going to be anything like normal, and Turner is pretty good. Now, if he does happen to play in the Pro Bowl, THAT would be bullshit.

I think for just pounding the pall mercilessly, their backup Michael Turner is better suited for that since he's bigger than LT (237 lbs versus 220 lbs).

It was the red zone where it was evident that a healthy LT could have scored TDs inside the Pats 10.

The losing AFC and NFC coaches in the conference title games will be coaching the Pro Bowl teams.

So that means Norv Turner of the Chargers will be coaching the AFC side, and Mike McCarthy of the Packers will be coaching the NFC side.

Even if LT does show up for the Pro Bowl, I don't think his own coach Norv Turner will give him many plays and risk injuring him again. Same with Antonio Gates.

penguinz
01-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Uh, maybe check the internet before you type this stuff.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1813

Jan. 21 - 5:54 pm et

Philip Rivers' ACL is completely torn and will need reconstructive surgery.

Initial reports were he only had a partial tear. Rivers maintains he will be ready by the start of training camp, but previous timetables regarding these injuries indicate that's optimistic. Carson Palmer had a similarly timed injury and made it back for Week 1, but wasn't quite the same for awhile.
Source: San Diego Union-TribuneLast I had read or heard was that it was partial. If it is full then he is a tough SOB. Either way it still does not change that LT is a whiney ass pussy. You don't even need your MCL. He had a brace and access to really good pain killers. He should have played no matter what and not sat on the sideline with his stupid helmet on.

BigRedChief
01-22-2008, 05:37 AM
It was partial. If it was a full tear it would have been too swollen to play.
Sorry dude but it was a full tear.