PDA

View Full Version : This weeks BBall rankings: KU 2nd but lots of first place votes.

BigVE
01-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Not that it matters right now either way. Just a note. KU got 23 first place votes in the AP and 10 first place votes in the coaches poll. Memphis creampuff schedule shouldn't present much of a challenge to them but KU will be tested in the Big12. Go hawks, go KU!

ArrowheadHawk
01-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Memphis probably deserves to be number one at this point, but if KU keeps winning they will close the gap. And the gap isn't very big right now to begin with.

DaKCMan AP
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
In about a month Memphis plays Tennessee. Probably their toughest match of the season.

kstater
01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Not that it matters, but what do you guys think of all the ranked "mid-majors". Do you think that the voters are purposely trying to send a message to the NCAA committee to get these guys in? Not griping, but St. Mary's is ranked, and looking at their schedule they have 1, maybe 2 good victories?

ArrowheadHawk
01-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Not that it matters, but what do you guys think of all the ranked "mid-majors". Do you think that the voters are purposely trying to send a message to the NCAA committee to get these guys in? Not griping, but St. Mary's is ranked, and looking at their schedule they have 1, maybe 2 good victories?
It's a good thing this is basketball and things will be decided in March, not by polls.

BigVE
01-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Parody is so prevalent in college b-ball anymore who knows WHO is really "all that" until tourney time. THAT is when the cream will rise to the top...all of the rest is just pretty packaging to get/keep people guessing and looking and gambling. I think the mid majors are here to stay.

Eleazar
01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
It's a good thing this is basketball and things will be decided in March, not by polls.

exactly, at least they let the basketball teams settle it on the floor, hear to head.

Skip Towne
01-21-2008, 08:41 PM
KU has won 32 of their last 33 BB games. The loss to UCLA broke a 14 game winning streak.

BigVE
01-21-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the Big12 will represent well in the tourney...it's still early but several teams are looking very good. KU, Kstate, MU, A@M, Texas should all make it easily if they keep it up. Who knows?

KcMizzou
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I think the Big12 will represent well in the tourney...it's still early but several teams are looking very good. KU, Kstate, MU, A@M, Texas should all make it easily if they keep it up. Who knows?Mizzou's gonna need some road wins, and I don't know if they have it in 'em.

kstater
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Mizzou's gonna need some road wins, and I don't know if they have it in 'em.

Yeah, Mizzou has an extremely uphill battle. Realistically, with the losses they already have, they can probably only afford to lose 3-4 more games. On top of that will have to make a run in the Big 12 tourney and get another quality win.

Edit: Looking at it again, I'm probably being generous with 3-4 losses.

chiefsfan987
01-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I think the Big12 will represent well in the tourney...it's still early but several teams are looking very good. KU, Kstate, MU, A@M, Texas should all make it easily if they keep it up. Who knows?

I think the Big XII will get a fair # of teams in the tourney (4-6), but I don't think they will represent the conference very well once they get there.

Skip Towne
01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
I think the Big XII will get a fair # of teams in the tourney (4-6), but I don't think they will represent the conference very well once they get there.
Why not? Not arguing just wonder why you think that.

KevB
01-21-2008, 09:21 PM
In about a month Memphis plays Tennessee. Probably their toughest match of the season.

The beat Georgetown handily, when they were top 5. They also still have Gonzaga. Tennessee seems to be finding their stride, and Memphis hates Tennessee and Tennessee hates Memphis --- should be a fun game to watch.

KevB
01-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Memphis probably deserves to be number one at this point, but if KU keeps winning they will close the gap. And the gap isn't very big right now to begin with.

Memphis had the toughest non-con schedule in the nation and went undefeated, so yeah, they deserve #1. They'll also play Tennessee, Gonzaga, and a couple of decent CUSA teams in Houston and UAB.

KevB
01-21-2008, 09:25 PM
KU has won 32 of their last 33 BB games. The loss to UCLA broke a 14 game winning streak.

Memphis has won 42 of their last 43 (only loss was to Ohio St. in the Elite Eight). Memphis lost one game all of calendar year 2007.

Ceej
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
UAB is not decent. Wichita State beat UAB.

However, Robert Vaden IS decent.

ROYC75
01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Polls right now me nothing, just something for the wacko fans toget excited about, teams that aren't use to being in the top 10 year in and year out.

As for the 12 and the NCAA tourney, you better look at Baylor, they are playing well and Drew has done a nice job there turning that program around. They could make the dance.......

KU
KSU
TX
aTm
OU

Bubble :

Baylor
TxT

NIT :

MU
OSU
NU
and who ever doesn't make the NIT

DJJasonp
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
As a hawk fan.....I hope Memphis keeps winning and we keep winning.

As long as Memphis continues to win and stay #1...the Hawks can (relatively speaking) fly under the radar.

For the record....if KU were to face Memphis in the Final 4....I predict a similar outcome as to when the hawks demolished Marquette in 2003.

Silock
01-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Parody is so prevalent in college b-ball

Especially over at MU. Those guys are definitely a parody of a basketball team.

Silock
01-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Memphis has won 42 of their last 43 (only loss was to Ohio St. in the Elite Eight). Memphis lost one game all of calendar year 2007.

Yeah, but their conference schedule is a complete joke and it wasn't until this year that their non-conference was really anything to look at. Still, they deserve #1 at this point.

BWillie
01-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Memphis is the real deal this year boys. I hear alot of KU fans here and there mouth them. They are one of the last teams I'd want to play in the tournament. They are explosive and they have been killing people,.. including good competition.

FAX
01-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Where is Vandy in this deal? Anyone know?

FAX

KcMizzou
01-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Especially over at MU. Those guys are definitely a parody of a basketball team.Eh, **** off. At least we got you in football. :p

I'll take that any day.

Pablo
01-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Eh, **** off. At least we got you in football. :p

I'll take that any day.Fair enough. We'll just have to get you twice this year in round ball, and next year, and the next year, and the next year...

You see where this is going.

KcMizzou
01-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Fair enough. We'll just have to get you twice this year in round ball, and next year, and the next year, and the next year...

You see where this is going.****ing Beakers.

Yeah, you're great at basketball. I get it. We'll get better... and you know even when we're shitty, we give you guys all you can handle.

One of these days... You're gonna be looking up at us. One of these days.

J Diddy
01-21-2008, 11:56 PM
****ing Beakers.

Yeah, you're great at basketball. I get it. We'll get better... and you know even when we're shitty, we give you guys all you can handle.

One of these days... You're gonna be looking up at us. One of these days.

said the midget

KcMizzou
01-21-2008, 11:57 PM
said the midgetHey, it's hard bein' a Mizzou basketball fan... but somebody's gotta do it.

Pablo
01-21-2008, 11:59 PM
****ing Beakers.

One of these days... You're gonna be looking up at us. One of these days.One of these days.

It's too bad that we'll both more than likely be dead by the time that happens. And yes, I fear playing Mizzou in basketball. I was genuinely the most worried I'd been all year on Saturday. You may suck, but you usually give us a good game. Kind of like the Raiders always suck, but they always give us a run for our money, and you know what, persistance pays off, they're sitting pretty with a .100 win percentage in the last 10 contests.

KcMizzou
01-22-2008, 12:00 AM
One of these days.

It's too bad that we'll both more than likely be dead by the time that happens. And yes, I fear playing Mizzou in basketball. I was genuinely the most worried I'd been all year on Saturday. You may suck, but you usually give us a good game. Kind of like the Raiders always suck, but they always give us a run for our money, and you know what, persistance pays off, they're sitting pretty with a .100 win percentage in the last 10 contests.Now that's just mean.

CHENZ A!
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Where is Vandy in this deal? Anyone know?

FAX

Vandy lost a couple games recently, one to Kentucky and then one to Tenn. I believe they are still ranked in the lower half of the top 25 though.

Pablo
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Now that's just mean.I try.

I can be particularly vicious when addressing Raiders fans, I give MU fans some respect though, a ton of my friends are MU fans, so I've been hearing about Nov. 24th for 3 f*cking months now, I have to unload during basketball season, it's only fair.

You're one of the better MU fans on this board, but you're still a Mizzou fan so I have to give you shit. It's mandatory.

Pablo
01-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Vandy lost a couple games recently, one to Kentucky and then one to Tenn. I believe they are still ranked in the lower half of the top 25 though.Sitting at 17-2, #14.

Not too damn bad, especially if their only losses came to UK and UT.

CHENZ A!
01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Sitting at 17-2, #14.

Not too damn bad, especially if their only losses came to UK and UT.

No, Stallings has really turned that into a good program. But they did look REAL bad against Tenn, and Kentucky is garbage this yr. Still a great start for the Commodores.

J Diddy
01-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey, it's hard bein' a Mizzou basketball fan... but somebody's gotta do it.

mizzou bb ball fan, chiefs fan

you truly are a glutton for punishment

KcMizzou
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM

you truly are a glutton for punishmentMizzou football got me through that Chiefs thing. Now I'm on my own. Mizzou B-ball isn't that bad though. Yeah, we're not on KU's level... but we're good enough to be entertaining.

Pablo
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM

you truly are a glutton for punishmentAnd the poor bastard probably watches Royals baseball in the off-season.

I take back all the mean things I said KcMizzou, may God be with you and your viewing audience.

KcMizzou
01-22-2008, 12:12 AM
And the poor bastard probably watches Royals baseball in the off-season.

I take back all the mean things I said KcMizzou, may God be with you and your viewing audience.Of course.

God damnit. If Cubs fans can hang in there... I can too.

Pablo
01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Of course.

God damnit. If Cubs fans can hang in there... I can too.Haha. I don't watch MLB at all, but if I had to call myself a fan of any team it would be the Royals. I forced myself to watch like 3 of their games this last summer, and it really really hurt my head. Being a hardcore Royals fan could easily kill you before you turn 40.

KcMizzou
01-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Haha. I don't watch MLB at all, but if I had to call myself a fan of any team it would be the Royals. I forced myself to watch like 3 of their games this last summer, and it really really hurt my head. Being a hardcore Royals fan could easily kill you before you turn 40.Hey, they're getting better. Got some good young talent.

Silock
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Memphis is the real deal this year boys. I hear alot of KU fans here and there mouth them. They are one of the last teams I'd want to play in the tournament. They are explosive and they have been killing people,.. including good competition.

I agree Memphis is for real, but we'll see how far they get in the tourney. The one thing they're lacking is real leadership and an inside offensive presence. They, like the Jayhawks, struggle at the FT line, too. They're not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

Pierce
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM
No, Stallings has really turned that into a good program. But they did look REAL bad against Tenn, and Kentucky is garbage this yr. Still a great start for the Commodores.
Woohoo! go 'Dores!

KevB
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, but their conference schedule is a complete joke and it wasn't until this year that their non-conference was really anything to look at. Still, they deserve #1 at this point.

Let's see, last year Memphis played Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arizona, Cincy, and Gonzaga in the non-con. The year before that, they played Alabama, UCLA, Duke, Providence, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Texas, Purdue and Cincinnati. Tell me again about their "nothing to look at" non-con schedule.

KevB
01-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree Memphis is for real, but we'll see how far they get in the tourney. The one thing they're lacking is real leadership and an inside offensive presence. They, like the Jayhawks, struggle at the FT line, too. They're not unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

Lack leadership? They have a team full of players who have gone to 2 straight Elite Eights. They start a senior, three juniors and a freshman.

The inside offensive presence is a combination of guys in Douglas-Roberts, Derrick Rose, Dozier, etc. because of the offense they run. The drive and kick gets a bunch of shots in the lane, just not with the traditional post-up with a big guy.

They're clearly not unbeatable, nobody in college basketball is. They have a few weaknesses in the free throw shooting and streaky perimeter shooting. But they have fewer holes than any team in the country.

Ceej
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
UAB is still not decent. :)

Ceej
01-22-2008, 12:09 PM
A Darnell Jackson v. Joey Dorsey matchup would be a dream. Two similiar bruising mentalities would make for a fun game down in the post if we play Memphis.

Silock
01-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Let's see, last year Memphis played Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arizona, Cincy, and Gonzaga in the non-con. The year before that, they played Alabama, UCLA, Duke, Providence, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Texas, Purdue and Cincinnati. Tell me again about their "nothing to look at" non-con schedule.

For last year, only Tennessee finished the season going into the tournament ranked in the top 25, and that's only because they were ranked #25. Real tough. The year before that was better.

Silock
01-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Lack leadership? They have a team full of players who have gone to 2 straight Elite Eights. They start a senior, three juniors and a freshman.

And? There's more to leadership than what year you're in.

The inside offensive presence is a combination of guys in Douglas-Roberts, Derrick Rose, Dozier, etc. because of the offense they run. The drive and kick gets a bunch of shots in the lane, just not with the traditional post-up with a big guy.

I realize that, but they still lack a dominant offensive inside presence, so when they finally encounter a team that can defend on the perimeter, it suddenly becomes a lot tougher.

They're clearly not unbeatable, nobody in college basketball is. They have a few weaknesses in the free throw shooting and streaky perimeter shooting. But they have fewer holes than any team in the country.

I'd disagree. I'd say that they have the same number of holes as the other top 3 teams.

Lzen
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Parody is so prevalent in college b-ball anymore who knows WHO is really "all that" until tourney time.

So you think college basketball is a joke?

Or did you mean parity?

Bearcat
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM

I was wondering the same thing about St. Mary's, because they talked about St. Mary's as "for real" last night during OSU/Texas because they beat Oregon. I seem to remember Oregon losing to Nebraska, so I looked up both schedules... Oregon also lost to Oakland, so it's not a real high quality win. Other than that, St. Mary's lost to Southern Illinois by 15 and Texas by 20. :shrug:

I'm sure they could surprise someone, just like any other mid-major, but 24th in the nation? :shake:

Lzen
01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Eh, **** off. At least we got you in football. :p

I'll take that any day.

ROFL Does anyone see the irony?

Bearcat
01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
We'll get better... and you know even when we're shitty, we give you guys all you can handle.

Yeah, one of these days your most important basketball games won't happen in the regular season... just like football. :p o:-)

SithCeNtZ
01-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I was wondering the same thing about St. Mary's, because they talked about St. Mary's as "for real" last night during OSU/Texas because they beat Oregon. I seem to remember Oregon losing to Nebraska, so I looked up both schedules... Oregon also lost to Oakland, so it's not a real high quality win. Other than that, St. Mary's lost to Southern Illinois by 15 and Texas by 20. :shrug:

I'm sure they could surprise someone, just like any other mid-major, but 24th in the nation? :shake:

It's an interesting contrast to what the college football polls are like. In football, if you start out unranked people will look for every reason to not rank you. If you do break into the top 25 you will largely be hated on or just ignored for the most part. The college football landscape is more about being right in the preseason and doing whatever it takes to make your predictions look correct rather than merely adjusting your perceptions to what has actually happened.

Quite the opposite in basketball though. In basketball its all about being the first to tab the sleeper under dog pick who wins a couple of games in the tournament. Thus, you get stupid picks like St. Mary's and Butler who get way way too much credit for being a mid major. Every year it happens and when the inevitable one mid-major wins a couple of games in the tournament everyone says "SEE! We were right that the mid-majors were just as good as the big guys".

KevB
01-22-2008, 04:59 PM
And? There's more to leadership than what year you're in.

I realize that, but they still lack a dominant offensive inside presence, so when they finally encounter a team that can defend on the perimeter, it suddenly becomes a lot tougher.

I'd disagree. I'd say that they have the same number of holes as the other top 3 teams.

So you're saying they don't have leadership, even though they've won 42 or 43 and have gone to two straight Elite Eights. They have a seasoned team that knows how to win, but yet you subjectively say "they lack real leadership". Care to explain?

Who in the other "top 3" does have a dominant inside presence? Dorsey and Dozier can defend any team's inside game, so I don't see a team that would have a decided advantage on either end in the lane.

I think a Memphis vs. KU matchup would be fun to watch, as they are very similar. I don't see another team today that would beat Memphis. By the tourney, UCLA/North Carolina/Tennessee/unknown hot team could be good enough.

BigVE
01-22-2008, 05:03 PM
So you think college basketball is a joke?

Or did you mean parity?

Figures some smart@ss KU fan would point out a misspelled word.... :)

Bearcat
01-22-2008, 07:42 PM
It's an interesting contrast to what the college football polls are like. In football, if you start out unranked people will look for every reason to not rank you. If you do break into the top 25 you will largely be hated on or just ignored for the most part. The college football landscape is more about being right in the preseason and doing whatever it takes to make your predictions look correct rather than merely adjusting your perceptions to what has actually happened.

Quite the opposite in basketball though. In basketball its all about being the first to tab the sleeper under dog pick who wins a couple of games in the tournament. Thus, you get stupid picks like St. Mary's and Butler who get way way too much credit for being a mid major. Every year it happens and when the inevitable one mid-major wins a couple of games in the tournament everyone says "SEE! We were right that the mid-majors were just as good as the big guys".

Very good points, and I think part of it has to do with the bias for the big college football programs has stayed around because of the BCS. At the end of the day, the presidents would rather have a questionable Big 10 team in a BCS bowl than a more deserving team. A mid major has to go undefeated to even crack the top 15.

The BCS is still about ratings and selling tickets, while March Madness ratings are in larger part driven by the George Masons of the world.

Silock
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
So you're saying they don't have leadership, even though they've won 42 or 43 and have gone to two straight Elite Eights. They have a seasoned team that knows how to win, but yet you subjectively say "they lack real leadership". Care to explain?

I just don't see a leader on the court when I see them play. I don't know how to explain it.

Who in the other "top 3" does have a dominant inside presence? Dorsey and Dozier can defend any team's inside game, so I don't see a team that would have a decided advantage on either end in the lane.

I said "offensive" inside presence. Defense they've got inside. Hansbrough is dominant inside, and KU is pretty good inside (at least as good as Memphis).