PDA

View Full Version : Teicher:Chiefs hire Price

DeezNutz
01-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Chiefs hire Price as receivers coach
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
MOBILE, Ala. | The Chiefs finalized their coaching staff Tuesday by hiring Texas-El Paso offensive coordinator Eric Price to work with wide receivers.

Herm Edwards’ first choice as receivers coach was former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell, but Dorrell accepted a position with the Miami Dolphins instead.

Price, who was on Edwards’ staff with the New York Jets, interviewed to be the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator. That job went instead to Chan Gailey.

The other new offensive coaches are Bob Bicknell (offensive line) and Curtis Modkins (running backs).

“It worked out very well for us,” Edwards said. “Eric Price is a good young coach. I’ve been with him before and I know who he is. He’ll be a coordinator somewhere someday.

“This is a good teaching staff and they will all fit together. They have the ability to coach the way the Chiefs will play football.”

dirk digler
01-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Nice hire. I wonder if WPI got this right. :)

Tribal Warfare
01-22-2008, 10:56 PM
This is a good teaching staff and they will all fit together. They have the ability to coach the way the Chiefs will play football.

Dick Curl is still QB Coach :banghead:

Mecca
01-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Dick Curl is gonna be here the entire time Herm is, how sad.

Deberg_1990
Why wasnt Herm allowed to bring in his own guys right from the start 2 years ago???

doomy3
Well, if WPI's not reporting this, it must be true!

doomy3
01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Why wasnt Herm allowed to bring in his own guys right from the start 2 years ago???

That is a great question. Carl just couldn't go into a rebuilding stage and I think really handcuffed Herm. Now that Clark is obviously behind Herm if it comes down to it, Carl is forced to let Herm pick his staff.

RustShack
01-22-2008, 10:59 PM
woot woot

milkman
01-22-2008, 11:00 PM

It doesn't matter.

The entire time Herman ****ing Edwards is here will be sad, with, or without a Dick Curl.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
It doesn't matter.

The entire time Herman ****ing Edwards is here will be sad, with, or without a Dick Curl.

Yeah, so why even hire any coaches or even play the games for that matter. Maybe we should just forfeit all our games since we are DOOMED!

RustShack
01-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Maybe Curl is the one holding back Herman and a good offense? He trusts what the old **** says and how to run a team?

ChiefFan31
01-22-2008, 11:03 PM

That is obvious. Dick is his boy, but that doesn't mean he has to be the QB coach. I had been hoping a shift to some kind of asst head coach in charge of H2O dispersement or something of the like.

I can't believe that jackass is still our QB coach :cuss:

tk13
01-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Let's just hire Mike Shula to be an offensive assistant so we can be the first team to actually hire all three finalists for a coordinator position.

the Talking Can
01-22-2008, 11:05 PM
sweet....wish he was ther QB coach...

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:06 PM
I think it is hilarious how everyone hates Curl for really no apparent reason at all. Curl wanted Brodie to start from the beginning and was railroaded by Carl. How is the QB coach of all things hated so much? It's kind of funny. I don't really like the guy, I'm just kind of indifferent to it. He's just a QB coach!

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd have rather they hired James Lofton.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:07 PM
I'd have rather they hired James Lofton.

Because the Chargers have gotten great receiver play for all these years since he's been there??

Hammock Parties
01-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice hire. I wonder if WPI got this right. :)

This was on our website three hours ago.

Herm Edwards told me Eric Price will be joining the staff as the new wide receivers coach.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM

LOL.

Well, you post enough wild guesses, and you are sure to hit on one! :thumb:

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Because the Chargers have gotten great receiver play for all these years since he's been there??

Vincent Jackson as a 3rd round pick has developed very nicely...

Hammock Parties
01-22-2008, 11:09 PM
LOL.

Well, you post enough wild guesses, and you are sure to hit on one! :thumb:

Warpaint isn't in the business of guessing.

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:09 PM
I still don't like this coaching staff very much...maybe it's just me.

RustShack
01-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Would it be possible to hire Shula as QB coach and assistant head coach because he is only QB coach with the Jags isn't he? I know it wouldn't happen unless Curl died soon (he is looking pretty old though...) but I think that would be another big step in the right direction, under Herm at least.

DaWolf
01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
I think it is hilarious how everyone hates Curl for really no apparent reason at all. Curl wanted Brodie to start from the beginning and was railroaded by Carl. How is the QB coach of all things hated so much? It's kind of funny. I don't really like the guy, I'm just kind of indifferent to it. He's just a QB coach!

Just as a point of reference, everyone here disliked Peter Guinta too because he was A) a Vermeil retread, and B) the coordinator of the worst defense in the NFL the year before he got hired, and C) our DB's sucked while he was our DB coach.

He is now coaching in the Super Bowl as the Giants' DB coach.

I guess it doesn't help when the King gives you William Bartee and Erica Warfield to coach.

Dick Curl is probably a really good coach, he is just guilty by association to Herm...

dirk digler
01-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Good job Clayton

BigRock
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
It's Whitlock. He bashed Curl a few times, called him a "snitch", and now everyone hates the guy.

What's Curl supposed to be snitching on, anyway? Did we ever find out? Is there some kind of black market operation being run in the locker room and Curl is ratting guys out to the cops?

Hammock Parties
01-22-2008, 11:14 PM
It's Whitlock. He bashed Curl a few times, called him a "snitch", and now everyone hates the guy.

I think it's more than that. Just glance at Curl's resume. It's not very impressive.

He's only around because he's Herm's right hand man. Vermeil's right hand man was Mike White. At least Mike White had accomplished something in his NFL coaching career. What has Dick Curl done that qualifies him as a quarterbacks coach? For all we know he's stunting Brodie's growth.

In 2006 Huard exceeded everyone's expectations and played really well. Enter Dick Curl, and suddenly Huard became the checkdown king early last year. WTF happened?

cdcox
01-22-2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, so why even hire any coaches or even play the games for that matter. Maybe we should just forfeit all our games since we are DOOMED!

QFT

At least then Arrowhead could get remodeled quickly without all those pesky football games going on. Then 2008 could be declared a success, since the most important thing will have been accomplished.

I think we should get ahead of things and forfeight '09 too.

RustShack
01-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I personally would much rather have Shea than Curl.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Vincent Jackson as a 3rd round pick has developed very nicely...

Seems to me that Vincent Jackson has underperformed given the expectations that the Chargers had for him, and that is a main reason that Chambers was brought in this year. Really, the Chargers receivers have been pretty underwhelming for several years now. This year was probably the best in a while which isn't saying much. The grass is always greener...

milkman
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM

Can't just forfeit all our games.

Chiefs couldn't make any money that way.

Just hire Herman ****ing Edwardsand give him free reign.

It's as good as a forfeit, except you get the money.

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Seems to me that Vincent Jackson has underperformed given the expectations that the Chargers had for him, and that is a main reason that Chambers was brought in this year. Really, the Chargers receivers have been pretty underwhelming for several years now. This year was probably the best in a while which isn't saying much. The grass is always greener...

He's a solid #2 as a 3rd round pick, I don't think they ever expected him to be a #1.

How many mid round WR's have the Chiefs developed over the last um 15 years...

Brock
01-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Adam's wrong - WPI said it was Karl Dorrell.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:24 PM
He's a solid #2 as a 3rd round pick, I don't think they ever expected him to be a #1.

What does that have to do with anything? As far as I know, no one is lobbying for them to bring back any of the Chiefs WR coaches over the last 15 years, although several were pissed Joyner got fired, which is hilarious. But to say Lofton is somehow a proven or good coach based on what he did in SD is just as shortsighted IMO?

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I think he did a good job with what he was given.....Jackson has reached the level that they probably expected him to reach. He's more of a big possession guy than anything but hey it works out.

Chambers is really talented they made a move for him it worked out, Eric Parker got injured this season but was generally a pretty solid contributer, Craig Davis the jury is out. I thought he did a solid job with what he was given.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:28 PM

Actually Jackson was a second round pick, and was projected to be a number one receiver. How did Buster Davis do this year? That's their #1 pick at WR.

Here are Jackson's stats:

Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM G REC YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2005 SDG 7 3 59 19.7 21 0 3 0 0
2006 SDG 16 27 453 16.8 55 6 19 0 0
2007 SDG 16 41 623 15.2 45 3 28 0 0
Career 39 71 1135 16.0 55 9 50 0 0

Not really even good for a #2.

Like I said, the grass is always greener...

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I think he did a good job with what he was given.....Jackson has reached the level that they probably expected him to reach. He's more of a big possession guy than anything but hey it works out.

Chambers is really talented they made a move for him it worked out, Eric Parker got injured this season but was generally a pretty solid contributer, Craig Davis the jury is out. I thought he did a solid job with what he was given.

And I'm sure you'd feel the same way if those guys were the Chiefs WRs :rolleyes:

BigRock
01-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I think it's more than that. Just glance at Curl's resume. It's not very impressive.
Curl was here a year and nobody mentioned him except to laugh at his name. Whitlock starts in on him and now there's hardly a single thread that doesn't mention the guy. He might not be the only reason, but he's at least 75% of it.

In 2006 Huard exceeded everyone's expectations and played really well. Enter Dick Curl, and suddenly Huard became the checkdown king early last year. WTF happened?
We stopped playing the NFC West? He kept getting hit, got beat up, and became gun shy? I don't remember Huard dropping to the turf untouched multiple times last year either, but I kinda doubt he was being coached to go out there and play dead.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:31 PM
In fact, Jackson's numbers are just marginally better than Sammie Parker's '05 and '06 numbers. Still think he has lived up to expectations?

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Jackson is essentially the 4th or 5th option in the passing game so it happens...

I don't think even the Chargers think Craig Davis is a starting WR, he's a slot guy, which explains the Chambers move.

I'd be pretty happy if the Chiefs had the Chargers whole of WR's..it has a #1, a solid possession #2 an ideal slot guy that can also do returns if needed and an awesome special teams player in Kassim Osgood.

I think Bowe can be as good as Chambers in a quick span but we don't have anything after him.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Jackson is essentially the 4th or 5th option in the passing game so it happens...

I don't think even the Chargers think Craig Davis is a starting WR, he's a slot guy, which explains the Chambers move.

I'd be pretty happy if the Chiefs had the Chargers whole of WR's..it has a #1, a solid possession #2 an ideal slot guy that can also do returns if needed and an awesome special teams player in Kassim Osgood.

I think Bowe can be as good as Chambers in a quick span but we don't have anything after him.

And Sammie Parker was the Chiefs 4th option all those years you were bitching about our WRs. But you want us to hire Lofton because he has done nothing with the Chargers WRs?

You don't think the Chargers drafted Davis to be a number one either? He was a first round pick. You have posted how highly you think of AJ Smith, so something doesn't add up there. Either Smith missed, or Lofton didn't get as much out of Davis as he needed to.

You're expectations of the Chargers sure are different than your expectations of the Chiefs, that's for sure.

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
Um no they aren't......if the Chargers expected Craig Davis to be a good starting WR they wouldn't have traded a 2nd rounder for Chambers...

Davis is a role player, he may end up as a damn good one but no one knows at this point.

I think AJ Smith is excellent in the draft but they are also to a different point of their team than the Chiefs are. They can draft a role player, they can trade picks to move up, why? Because the young core of their team is built, they won't be replacing many guys on a yearly basis right now.

2 totally different situations, the Chargers can make a trade to get Eric Weddle, the Chiefs really can't due to the number of guys they need.

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
So, you just said said you don't think the Chargers thought Jackson was a number one. THat would have left them with no number one going into this year. But they would pick a role player WR with their first round pick who they don't expect to be a starter? Come on Mecca, you're smarter than this.

DaneMcCloud
01-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Would it be possible to hire Shula as QB coach and assistant head coach because he is only QB coach with the Jags isn't he? I know it wouldn't happen unless Curl died soon (he is looking pretty old though...) but I think that would be another big step in the right direction, under Herm at least.

Why???

I personally would much rather have Shea than Curl.

And again, why???

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:48 PM
I honestly didn't like the Davis pick, they made it because WR was one of their few need positions and they felt he was better than the other guys.

When they turned around and made that move for Chambers though it said they were aware they needed a #1.

The thing is though..can you really expect Craig Davis to be good right now? Rookie WR's usually aren't great, people always talk about that when wanting to draft them.

It probably sounds funny but part of what went into that Davis pick was probably that Sproles and Parker their 2 guys that do returns have had a tendency to get hurt and Davis gives them another guy that can do it.

RustShack
01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Because I think Shula would make a better QB coach than Curl, and Shea has been apart of a successful offense, Curl hasn't.

Mecca
01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Shea...Herm wants nothing to do with offenses that "throw it all around the yard"

doomy3
01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
I honestly didn't like the Davis pick, they made it because WR was one of their few need positions and they felt he was better than the other guys.

When they turned around and made that move for Chambers though it said they were aware they needed a #1.

The thing is though..can you really expect Craig Davis to be good right now? Rookie WR's usually aren't great, people always talk about that when wanting to draft them.

It probably sounds funny but part of what went into that Davis pick was probably that Sproles and Parker their 2 guys that do returns have had a tendency to get hurt and Davis gives them another guy that can do it.

That last part is a total guess. It is much more likely that they wanted Jackson to be the number one and hoped Davis could be the number two. Neither happened, so they were forced to trade for Chambers during the season.

And yes. If you can expect the Chiefs second year safeties to be good like you do, and the rookie DTs to be good, it is fair to expect a first round WR to be good as well.

Mecca
01-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Different teams in different spots.....

If the Chiefs had just gone 14-2 that means the team is pretty good so most spots are filled. When your team is crap young guys should be able to get on the field more.

If you wanna compare the Chiefs to the Chargers so to speak, compare their drafts when they were bad...they waited on Jackson tons of other guys got out there quickly.

DaneMcCloud
01-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Because I think Shula would make a better QB coach than Curl, and Shea has been apart of a successful offense, Curl hasn't.

Name ONE successful QB, besides Trent Green (who was already in his 30's and marginally successful) that Terry Shea developed.

ONE.

RustShack
01-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I can't really think of many teams he was the QB coach where he had the chance to do so.

DaneMcCloud
01-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I can't really think of many teams he was the QB coach where he had the chance to do so.

How about ONE?

Grossman. Bears?

RustShack
01-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I could be wrong, but wasn't Grossman hurt? I could be wrong again but wasn't Shea the OC and not the QB coach? Doesn't Grossman still suck under other coaches? Your right though, its impossible to do develop a QB if you can't do it your first try, and Curl just churns out superstar QB's all the time.

EyePod
01-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Is it me or is Dick Curl a name for a penis exercise?

Mecca
01-23-2008, 12:42 AM
We should just hire Chris Polian and Jim Caldwell, how about that.

DaneMcCloud
01-23-2008, 12:49 AM
I could be wrong, but wasn't Grossman hurt? I could be wrong again but wasn't Shea the OC and not the QB coach? Doesn't Grossman still suck under other coaches? Your right though, its impossible to do develop a QB if you can't do it your first try, and Curl just churns out superstar QB's all the time.

Nice analogy :spock:

Name ONE.

Sarcastic smart ass.

Silock
01-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Warpaint isn't in the business of guessing.

Why guess when blatantly false assertions do a better job of selling premium subscriptions?

kcxiv
01-23-2008, 12:56 AM
YOu dont draft a WR in the first round to be a number 2 option. lol

Micjones
01-23-2008, 03:42 AM
Price was a good hire. He could be Chan's replacement once he steps down and hangs it up.

Is Shula still available?
He'd be a good QB Coach.
Chiefs brass should bring him in.

Micjones
01-23-2008, 04:34 AM
YOu dont draft a WR in the first round to be a number 2 option. lol

That's exactly what Bowe would've been had Kennison stayed healthy.
I wouldn't mind a Receiver being a #2 for a year until he was ready to be a team's #1 target.

kcxiv
01-23-2008, 05:20 AM
That's exactly what Bowe would've been had Kennison stayed healthy.
I wouldn't mind a Receiver being a #2 for a year until he was ready to be a team's #1 target.
For his Rookie Year sure, but he was drafted to be the number 1 guy for the Chiefs for a long time. Same with Buster Davis. Why waste a pick in the first round if you dont expect him to be a number one guy eventually.

Mecca
01-23-2008, 05:24 AM
When you are picked where Davis was which was what like 27th, what is expected of that player does become slightly different.

Do you think the Saints took Meachem to be their #1? Colstons their #1, I think they expect him to become a starter but a #1 on their team I don't think so.

kcxiv
01-23-2008, 05:49 AM
When you are picked where Davis was which was what like 27th, what is expected of that player does become slightly different.

Do you think the Saints took Meachem to be their #1? Colstons their #1, I think they expect him to become a starter but a #1 on their team I don't think so.
Let me be exact here. When your team has mediocre wide recievers and you take a WR in the first round, you expect him to be the starter in a year or 2.

I dont think they intentionally drafted the kid thinking. He's a number 2 or 3 guy.

Now if you have a clear cut number 1 guy and you draft another WR, you just wanna get beastly on offense. Hell, some teams right now have 2 number 1's.

King_Chief_Fan
01-23-2008, 07:12 AM

could have been 3 days ago. Fact is, you and your buddies write it, we ignore it, you trained us that way with erroneous reporting.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
What WR's has Price developed?

King_Chief_Fan
01-23-2008, 08:16 AM

excellent question. anyone:shrug:

Deberg_1990
01-23-2008, 08:27 AM

If he came from the Jets im guessing he worked with Santana Moss, Laverneous Coles, Cotchery at one time or another??

teedubya
01-23-2008, 08:34 AM

heh. Like anyone goes there for REAL Chiefs news. ROFL

milkman
01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Who the hell is Curtis Modkins?

Micjones
01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
For his Rookie Year sure, but he was drafted to be the number 1 guy for the Chiefs for a long time. Same with Buster Davis. Why waste a pick in the first round if you dont expect him to be a number one guy eventually.

Now that I wouldn't do.

The plan would be for that Receiver to become the eventual #1.

Eleazar
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Dorrell is going to be great for us, I can't wait to see what he can do... thank goodness for my $99.95 donation to nick athan's booger museum

Skip Towne
01-23-2008, 09:56 AM
That is obvious. Dick is his boy, but that doesn't mean he has to be the QB coach. I had been hoping a shift to some kind of asst head coach in charge of H2O dispersement or something of the like.

I can't believe that jackass is still our QB coach :cuss:
:LOL:

RustShack
01-23-2008, 10:12 AM
If he came from the Jets im guessing he worked with Santana Moss, Laverneous Coles, Cotchery at one time or another??

I know he helped with Chad Pennigton, I don't know what or if he did anything with receivers.

Sure-Oz
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Glad we got price on the staff, still wish we had Dorrell as well, oh well

ModSocks
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
[QUOTE=Mecca]He's a solid #2 as a 3rd round pick, I don't think they ever expected him to be a #1.

Actually they did. I'm pretty sure that the Chargers thought that Vincent would be #1 and Eric parker would come in at #2 until Davis was ready. They realized he isnt a #1 and brought in Chambers. With that said, he's still doing well for a 3rd rnd pick.

Sure-Oz
01-23-2008, 10:27 AM
There's a huge difference between being a #2 WR and a #2 QB, there is a reason they never start.

Mr. Laz
01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
isn't this just like drafting a safety and then switching him to cornerback?

Hammock Parties
01-23-2008, 01:28 PM
isn't this just like drafting a safety and then switching him to cornerback?

No. Price has experience as a wide receivers coach.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2008, 01:29 PM
heh. Like anyone goes there for REAL Chiefs news. ROFL

Actually we do quite a bit of traffic. Pro football talk links us almost every day.

Eleazar
01-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Actually we do quite a bit of traffic. Pro football talk links us almost every day.

That's fitting, since they are both punchlines.

King_Chief_Fan
01-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I know he helped with Chad Pennigton, I don't know what or if he did anything with receivers.

so who was responsible for Pennington and when? Curl or Price?

Hammock Parties
01-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Price coached receivers at UTEP. He helped Pennington get ready.

RustShack
01-23-2008, 02:42 PM
so who was responsible for Pennington and when? Curl or Price?

Price was only there one year, not sure which year off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure Curl was never the QB coach in NY either. He was the assistant head coach and some years he was the TE coach, others the RB coach.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Price coached receivers at UTEP. He helped Pennington get ready.

His claim to fame is Johnny Lee Higgins?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I haven't seen a lineup of crappier unproven coaches since the three stooges and Gunther were all here with the Chiefs.

If we weren't in Chiefs hell before, we definitely are now.

BigRock
01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Eric Price:

- played WR in high school and college
- WR coach at Hawaii in 1991
- WR coach at Miami (FL) from 1992-1993
- WR coach at Cal Poly SLO from 1994-1995
- WR coach at Northern Arizona from 1996-1997
- QB coach at Washington State 1998-2000
- Offensive assistant with NY Jets (2001-2002)
- OC at Alabama (2003 - quit before the season after his dad was fired)
- OC and WR coach at UTEP (2004-2006)
- OC and QB coach at UTEP (2007)

FAX
01-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen a lineup of crappier unproven coaches since the three stooges and Gunther were all here with the Chiefs.

If we weren't in Chiefs hell before, we definitely are now.

That's pretty much the way I see it, Mr. Vanilla Thunder. On the one hand, it's good to see some young coaches. On the other hand, for the most part, these are no names with questionable abilities. On the still other hand that was mistakenly attached to my ass after that terrible automobile accident, we're probably lucky that any coach would be willing to take a job here.

FAX

Sure-Oz
01-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Eric Price:

- played WR in high school and college
- WR coach at Hawaii in 1991
- WR coach at Miami (FL) from 1992-1993
- WR coach at Cal Poly SLO from 1994-1995
- WR coach at Northern Arizona from 1996-1997
- QB coach at Washington State 1998-2000
- Offensive assistant with NY Jets (2001-2002)
- OC at Alabama (2003 - quit before the season after his dad was fired)
- OC and WR coach at UTEP (2004-2006)
- OC and QB coach at UTEP (2007)
Sounds like he's capable...wouldve liked to have him at QB coach and Dorrell at WR, but hopefully he can be our OC of the future.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
On the other hand, for the most part, these are no names with questionable abilities.

How can you even make that judgment at this point?

I think our offensive assistants look like a good bunch.

FAX
01-23-2008, 02:58 PM
How can you even make that judgment at this point?

I think our offensive assistants look like a good bunch.

We'll see. I'm hoping for the best.

FAX

RustShack
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
So has Price had better success with his WR's or his QB's?