PDA

View Full Version : Fulton, GA to pay students in after-school program

wutamess
01-23-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2008/01/22/studentpay_0123_web1.html

Creekside High and Bear Creek Middle will pay students $8 an hour for "Learn & Earn" program

By MICHELLE E. SHAW
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/22/08

Fulton County schools want to pay students to stay in school a little longer.

Forty students from Creekside High and Bear Creek Middle schools in Fairburn will be the first to try the "Learn & Earn" program, where students will get paid to attend after-school tutoring programs.

Students will make approximately $8 an hour, and be eligible for bonuses if their grades improve, said Kirk Wilks, district spokesman. The initial students are in the eighth and 11th grades.

There will be a community kick-off Thursday at 3 p.m. in the Creekside High media center, 7405 Herndon Rd., Fairburn.

With the support of Fulton County Commissioner Robb Pitts, the pilot program will last 15 weeks and pay students for participation and performance. The object of the program is to determine if paying students to study will improve classroom attendance, grades and test scores, according to a news release from the district.

The initiative is funded by Charles Loudermilk, chairman and chief executive officer of Aaron Rents, through the Learning Makes A Difference Foundation. The foundation is a local non-profit designed to improve education through creative programs.

The students chosen for the program were picked by school staff, based on attendance, grades, test scores and free or reduced lunch status, the release said.

phisherman
01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
i thought parents paid kids for good grades, not the taxpayers.

wutamess
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
petegz seems to think they should be paid.
Wish I could've gotten my school to buy me an ipod, etc for going to school and doing my homework. :rolleyes:

Why does it stop at the Middle & high school level if that's the case?
I think I'm going to call the college and tell them to reimburse my payments. I did graduate with a 3.1 afterall.

Actually, didn't petegz say that he should get a refund for the year of college he paid for but couldn't go because he was sick? I understand where his logic is coming from now.

Hydrae
01-23-2008, 02:56 PM
But that is way above minimum wage.

OnTheWarpath15
01-23-2008, 03:00 PM
$8 an hour?

The adults who work in those before/after school programs only make $9-10 per hour.

Demonpenz
01-23-2008, 03:07 PM
There are some stupid shit in america. Sometimes you get punished for doing the right thing, then get rewarded for doing shit your supposed to do anyways. It would be cool if this program would teach kids to do a trade then a place would hire them to do that trade. I also wonder if the people who take advantage of this really are the people they target. 8 bucks an hour? That's chump change compared to selling grass

kstater
01-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Someone should remind those students' parents to pay the taxes on that income.

phisherman
01-23-2008, 03:15 PM
petegz seems to think they should be paid.
Wish I could've gotten my school to buy me an ipod, etc for going to school and doing my homework. :rolleyes:

Why does it stop at the Middle & high school level if that's the case?
I think I'm going to call the college and tell them to reimburse my payments. I did graduate with a 3.1 afterall.

Actually, didn't petegz say that he should get a refund for the year of college he paid for but couldn't go because he was sick? I understand where his logic is coming from now.

that petegz, he's crazy. didn't he have a bad cold or something? :hmmm:

wutamess
01-23-2008, 03:36 PM
that petegz, he's crazy. didn't he have a bad cold or something? :hmmm:

Exactly.