PDA

View Full Version : Roofing a house, how much should it cost?

tyton75
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
As some of you may know.. Phobia is redoing some stuff at my house for me and is doing an awesome job, but he found that my roof is leaking and I was just curious how much, in general, it would cost to reroof a house

House is approx 3000 sq ft, currently has shake shingles, but will probably go with something cheaper with a new roof...

anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

StcChief
01-24-2008, 09:50 AM
This time of year? alot Roofers are outta work. Should get a decent deal on labor.

If the shakes are bad, tear off will be expensive.

I'd go with an Architected 30 year shingle.
for look / value.

booyaf2
01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Hard to gauge how many squares (10ft x 10ft) your roof is by the square footage of your house. But if you figure it you'll be able to get a better idea on how much it will cost to shingle. Shake shingles would be more expensive than asphalt, and more cost in labor to put them on. You most likely would have to have the hose sheeted if you are wanting asphalt put on.

tyton75
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
the house is one level with a basement.. so its a pretty big roof... I wouldn't want to put Shakes back on... just something cheap.

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure... would I be looking at something around $5000 or closer to $15000... just so I can get an idea without having to call a roofer just yet

and it could probably wait until this summer if needed

booyaf2
01-24-2008, 10:03 AM
If you don't put shakes back on, and you have "gap sheeting", it will need to be sheeted which will cost quite a bit, but you'll have peace of mind knowing you have a new roof. If your house is a normal Ranch style, 1500 sq foot upstairs, I'd guess you could get it done under 10k, thats tear off, resheeted, papered, shingled with 30 year asphalt.

jspchief
01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Take a look in the attic and see if you have plywood sheeting or spaced sheeting.

How steep is your roof? Is it something you feel you could walk on easily?

I would do a 1 layer shake tear-off, putting a 30-year asphalt back on for around $200-250 per sq (assuming solid sheeting), and I believe the labor is a lot cheaper in MO, so maybe $150-200 per sq.

Assuming a 1500 sq ft main floor, at a reasonable pitch, you're probably talking ~30 sq.

Could be anywhere from low 20s-40+ sq though depending on pitch and roof design. For an average home, it's pretty tough to get to $10k on a single layer. $4-5k is probably the low end.

FWIW, I wouldn't have your roof done before March. Too many things can give you problems down the road.

RJ
01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
10K. Seems like everyone I talk to who gets a new roof spends right around 10K and we had a bunch of them a few years ago after some hail storms. I think that's a good ballpark number.

jidar
01-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Mid sized house, shake tear off, redeck and 30 yr shingles. Between $6k-8k is the ballpark imo. I could see it going up to 10k if it's steep or a lot of roof.

tyton75
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
its not steep, but its a lot of roof.

I appreciate the ballpark figures guys.. thanks...

Now i just need to pray for a hail storm and hope insurance pays for it! :)

RJ
01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
its not steep, but its a lot of roof.

I appreciate the ballpark figures guys.. thanks...

Now i just need to pray for a hail storm and hope insurance pays for it! :)

Now that you mention it, the hail storms probably pushed those prices up. The insurance company was paying and every roofer in town was working.

jspchief
01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Now that you mention it, the hail storms probably pushed those prices up. The insurance company was paying and every roofer in town was working.Actually, things like hail storms typically have the opposite effect on the roofing market, if any effect at all.

Brock
01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
It will be expensive. You should be able to hit your insurance company up for at least part of it though.

munkey
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Mid sized house, shake tear off, redeck and 30 yr shingles. Between $6k-8k is the ballpark imo. I could see it going up to 10k if it's steep or a lot of roof.

ha..had the same thing but did the rip and tear along with sheeting myself which probably saved me about 2k.

PS

I would not recommend doing it now...wait until late spring/early summer.

Phobia
01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
It's going to cost you about $50k. I gotta make some money on that bathroom somehow. ;)

I actually do a couple of roofs per year. I don't like to do them and I'm not insured for a roof but if I can help you save some money while putting a little in my pocket then let's talk.

You're most likely gonna have to put sheeting on that house. Your bids will probably range anywhere from $8-15 or even $20k. You have to be CERTAIN it's done RIGHT. There are plenty of people who will slap shingles on a house cheaply and make it look okay but a lot of them cut corners and will leave you with leak headaches. A roof is something you can't take chances with.

You may not even need a roof. It may just be some patchwork. Shake will last a long time if it's properly maintained and able to dry.

Dr.Fine
01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
ever considered corrugated? goes right over top of existing-no stripping required. looks great, especially on brick rancher and long-lasting. comes in a couple of different guages and several colors.

http://www.betterbuiltmetal.com/

Wile_E_Coyote
01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
To the left elbow & just past the right shin

Phobia
01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
ever considered corrugated? goes right over top of existing-no stripping required. looks great, especially on brick rancher and long-lasting. comes in a couple of different guages and several colors.

http://www.betterbuiltmetal.com/

That's a great choice, but who has $25k to put on their roof? Plus, it will go over the top of cedar shakes? I was not aware of that.

Dr.Fine
01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
That's a great choice, but who has $25k to put on their roof? Plus, it will go over the top of cedar shakes? I was not aware of that.

oops--makes a nice air-pocket, lol. price it out--I don't believe it's as expensive as you think, but not applicable in this case obviously.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Why don't you just throw a tarp on it with a bunch of tires to hold it down.

jidar
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Why don't you just throw a tarp on it with a bunch of tires to hold it down.

I've seen this work.

Chief Chief
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Any major roofing company wanting your business will provide information/guidance regarding available roofing materials and a free and accurate estimate.

tyton75
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
It's going to cost you about $50k. I gotta make some money on that bathroom somehow. ;)

I actually do a couple of roofs per year. I don't like to do them and I'm not insured for a roof but if I can help you save some money while putting a little in my pocket then let's talk.

You're most likely gonna have to put sheeting on that house. Your bids will probably range anywhere from $8-15 or even $20k. You have to be CERTAIN it's done RIGHT. There are plenty of people who will slap shingles on a house cheaply and make it look okay but a lot of them cut corners and will leave you with leak headaches. A roof is something you can't take chances with.

You may not even need a roof. It may just be some patchwork. Shake will last a long time if it's properly maintained and able to dry.

dude.. get back to work! lol

Phobia
01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
dude.. get back to work! lol

My people are trying on your underwear right now. Heh.

I'll be up there again in a couple hours.

tyton75
01-24-2008, 01:12 PM
My people are trying on your underwear right now. Heh.

I'll be up there again in a couple hours.

Man, that is an image I DID NOT need in my head right now.. lol

Phobia
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Man, that is an image I DID NOT need in my head right now.. lol
They found your nipple clamps and restraints. I told them it was okay as long as they clocked out before recess.

tyton75
01-24-2008, 01:17 PM
They found your nipple clamps and restraints. I told them it was okay as long as they clocked out before recess.

so long as they leave my rubber sheets and gerbils alone.. its fine

thehead
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM

Good advice Phobia

if the roof was decked with shakes (witch I doubt it should be stringers)you could tear off the shakes & re roof .Shakes usually have stringers with a heavy felt in between if thats the case all will have to be removed & replaced with decking then roofed.Pricing will vary because of pitch valleys and accessibility, get at least three estimates . more answers to your questions go to http://www.roofing.com/