PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Repairs

epitome1170
01-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I am currently looking at buying a house. The house I am interested has foundation problems along one wall. The concrete wall is tilting along its length (45'). I am curious if anyone has any advice on this issue or contractor's they would recommend or avoid. Right now I am just looking for estimates for the job so I know how much to take off the offer.

Phobia
01-24-2008, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't avoid contractors, I'd avoid the house. Heh. It really depends on which foundation repair company you choose and what you intend to do with the house.

This time of year you can find somebody cheap but your warranty will be impacted. If it's an investment property you'll probably be fine with that route. But if you're planning to live in the house long-term I'd get a reputable foundation repair company out there for longevity and warranty purposes.

Another consideration is WHY is the foundation doing that? Is it tree related, drainage issues, simply a bad pour, or bad soil? That's going to impact your decision because you may get it shored up and then it happens again if you don't address the cause rather than the symptom.

I don't mess with foundation repairs or sprinkler systems. That's about all I can't work on.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Make sure to get the house appraised and make sure the appraiser knows of the foundation problem. I would offer 10% less than the appraised price.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
The pads have shifted over time. Put the wheels back on

epitome1170
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't avoid contractors, I'd avoid the house. Heh. It really depends on which foundation repair company you choose and what you intend to do with the house.

This time of year you can find somebody cheap but your warranty will be impacted. If it's an investment property you'll probably be fine with that route. But if you're planning to live in the house long-term I'd get a reputable foundation repair company out there for longevity and warranty purposes.

Another consideration is WHY is the foundation doing that? Is it tree related, drainage issues, simply a bad pour, or bad soil? That's going to impact your decision because you may get it shored up and then it happens again if you don't address the cause rather than the symptom.

I don't mess with foundation repairs or sprinkler systems. That's about all I can't work on.

The foundation have problems does not really scare me away. I am a structural engineer and so have a great understanding of the loads and stresses being placed on the wall. In this particular case, the wall has the camber to it because of an addition placed that in turn created a negative slope toward the house. This obviously caused drainage issues and thus built up hydrostatic pressure. I know what NEEDS to be done for the house to be repaired properly. I am just looking for a reputable buisness and cost estimate more than anything.

When it does come to resell I plan to have all of the propoer documentation of the work done on the foundation and in addition to that another professional engineer will stamp and approve the calculations and drawings performed for the basement wall. I think this will ease any future buyers concerns in the foundation wall.

epitome1170
01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
The pads have shifted over time. Put the wheels back on

I guess that explains why everything continues to slide off the table. I will have to tell all the mothers of my kids I am hooking up the trailer and moving on then.

Phobia
01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you have it under control then. Do you consult? I could use your services once or twice a year. I used to have a structural engineer I called on but he moved out of state.

epitome1170
01-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Sounds like you have it under control then. Do you consult? I could use your services once or twice a year. I used to have a structural engineer I called on but he moved out of state.

Not really under control... still looking for a buisness to go to for the service.

We do consult, but we rarely do anything residential. It kind of depends on what you would have that needs a structural engineer stamp.

tyton75
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
The foundation have problems does not really scare me away. I am a structural engineer and so have a great understanding of the loads and stresses being placed on the wall. In this particular case, the wall has the camber to it because of an addition placed that in turn created a negative slope toward the house. This obviously caused drainage issues and thus built up hydrostatic pressure. I know what NEEDS to be done for the house to be repaired properly. I am just looking for a reputable buisness and cost estimate more than anything.

When it does come to resell I plan to have all of the propoer documentation of the work done on the foundation and in addition to that another professional engineer will stamp and approve the calculations and drawings performed for the basement wall. I think this will ease any future buyers concerns in the foundation wall.

Nerd alert :LOL:

Joe Seahawk
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Not really under control... still looking for a buisness to go to for the service.

We do consult, but we rarely do anything residential. It kind of depends on what you would have that needs a structural engineer stamp.

You should be able to find a company to drill soil nails (http://www.profoundationtech.com/images/new-construction/soil_nail_zoom.jpg) through the wall to help support the load.. does it leak?

Skip Towne
01-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Call Nolan Ryan.

epitome1170
01-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Nerd alert :LOL:

Never did I deny that :)

epitome1170
01-24-2008, 03:12 PM
You should be able to find a company to drill soil nails (http://www.profoundationtech.com/images/new-construction/soil_nail_zoom.jpg) through the wall to help support the load.. does it leak?

It does not appear to leak, although it is hard to tell since in this particular area there is only a concrete slab as a flooring. However, since there are cracks in the concrete and since it is residential construction I would bet that there are leaks. This can be resolved fairly easily though with the correct tiling (and no I don't mean ceramic tiles) and vapor barriers.

Soil nails are a very interesting product and only recently have been introduced into commercial and residentail applications. I like the idea of tiebacks from the wall to the soil, but it can also leave an eye sore at the anchorage points as well.

All of this is really not what I wanted to discuss as my whole purpose was to try to get a estimate in order to even put a bid in on the house though.

Phobia
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
I bid $473,131. Any response to this thread will constitute a legally binding contract.

Thanks for doing business with Edgewood Construction.