PDA

View Full Version : A 5 round mock with a trade down with the Cowboys...

Coogs
01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Looks like we got both of their firsts and their second. Here is the first round link. You can click on the links to rounds 2-5 over on the left hand side of each round.

http://www.drafttek.com/CustomRound12008.html

FAX
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
I need somebody to explain that to me. That is one confusing web page thing.

If that's round one, why do the Pat have a pick? I thought they couldn't select a round one person. Or, does it assume they traded? Could they do that? Isn't that cheating? What's going on? How many dogs does it take to weigh a ton and a half?

FAX

beach tribe
BS.

kepp
Interesting, but I don't see us taking another first round WR. I like the Reggie Smith pick though.

jspchief
01-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I doubt we take a WR with our first pick, especially with Talib available.

I really don't see KC trading that far out of that early spot. They may choose to drop a few places to save money on a guy they think will fall to them, but I don't think they want to take on two 1st round salaries.

StcChief
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
I doubt we take a WR with our first pick, especially with Talib available.

I really don't see KC trading that far out of that early spot. They may choose to drop a few places to save money on a guy they think will fall to them, but I don't think they want to take on two 1st round salaries.
My thoughts too.... that's too far drop. Just to have two later picks in first round.

Chiefs/Carl always look at salary posibility in draft

Chiefs_5627
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I need somebody to explain that to me. That is one confusing web page thing.

If that's round one, why do the Pat have a pick? I thought they couldn't select a round one person. Or, does it assume they traded? Could they do that? Isn't that cheating? What's going on? How many dogs does it take to weigh a ton and a half?

FAX

They had 2 first rounders, their own and the niners pick, they had to forfeit their own but still have the niner pick.

morphius
01-24-2008, 11:37 AM
They had 2 first rounders, their own and the niners pick, they had to forfeit their own but still have the niner pick.
Exactly.

King_Chief_Fan
01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Too far down to get an impact starter at OT...unless thre is something in FA. Not certain I like the deal. We need one of the top 3 OT. I don't think that is Williams. I guess he is o.k at the 2nd round. Can Williams help us enough? Dumb question I know since you never know how these things pan out.

xbarretx
01-24-2008, 11:45 AM
My thoughts too.... that's too far drop. Just to have two later picks in first round.

Chiefs/Carl always look at salary posibility in draft

didnt we also get there 2nd in this scenerio? thats where they have us snagging a CB

Wile_E_Coyote
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Ellis drops to 12

KurtCobain
01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I think it'll be the Pats who trade down for both cowboy first rounders. Then they'll take Talib and someone else on d.

jspchief
01-24-2008, 11:51 AM
didnt we also get there 2nd in this scenerio? thats where they have us snagging a CBYea, we take a WR with our first pick while passing on the bigger need of CB and KR.

xbarretx
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Ellis drops to 12

yes and we DONT want him with the donkeys

acesn8s
01-24-2008, 11:55 AM
according to their homepage

1/24 - We've closed out our latest poll. Readers overwhelmingly voted their desire to see a Cowboys-Chiefs trade get simulated. The Cowboys got McFadden as planned.

But the Chiefs may not have fared as well. Yeah they got the 2 extra players, but they had to settle for P4 need WR Early Doucet with their first pick. Our program was unable to find a player to fill one of their primary needs.

keg in kc
01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm leery of that tradedown. I don't have much faith that we'd get nearly as much as we should for doing it, particularly with Dallas as the trading partner. That's a long, long way to fall.

And philosophically, it's a great move if you luck out and draft two pro bowl talents, but it's risky to trade out of 'stud' range back into the area the Chiefs generally draft. We need an infusion of top-5 level talent on this squad, but we also need numbers. So is the risk worth it, looking at the reward.

acesn8s
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm leery of that tradedown. I don't have much faith that we'd get nearly as much as we should for doing it, particularly with Dallas as the trading partner. That's a long, long way to fall.

And philosophically, it's a great move if you luck out and draft two pro bowl talents, but it's risky to trade out of 'stud' range back into the area the Chiefs generally draft. We need an infusion of top-5 level talent on this squad, but we also need numbers. So is the risk worth it, looking at the reward.i see no reward

jspchief
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Our program was unable to find a player to fill one of their primary needs.Yes because the combined age of our 2 starting corners is 375, and our KR is Eddie Munster. I can't think of a single player that would have fit better than a WR.

Micjones
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I like this Mock.
It addresses a lot of need areas on the team.

Doucet, Smith, Schmitt could all become immediate starters.
Justice is a great pick for the future.
Another young QB and DE.

I think this is a very solid draft for the Chiefs.
We can only hope to do this well in this year's draft.

StcChief
01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
according to their homepage
exactly why Chiefs won't drop that far....

I don't care about their users wanting to see that trade. Have them trade with Oakland,Rams etc who are in the same 1-5 area.

BigCatDaddy
01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Interesting, but I don't see us taking another first round WR. I like the Reggie Smith pick though.

Pure Madness. We actually take a college corner to play corner in the NFL rather then try to turn a saftey that runs a 4.6 into a corner?

Coogs
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
When you compare the 2 drafts with/without the trade, I'm not sure I would make the deal.

With Without

1. Doucet WR 1. Ellis DT
1. Williams OT
2. Highsmith LB 2. Williams OT
2. Smith CB
3. Justice C 3. Justice C
4. Jones DE 4. Jones DE
5. Schmitt FB 5. Schmitt FB
5. Dixon QB 5. Trae Williams CB

If we can get Williams in the 2nd, there should be something better to do in the trade scenario in the first I would think.

Chiefnj2
01-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Going from 2 picks in the top 61 to 4 picks in the top 61 is very tempting. Especially with Long and Dorsey off the board.

I'd do it - with different picks than they did.

FAX
01-24-2008, 12:29 PM

That sucks. They shouldn't have any picks whatsoever. There's no justice.

If Clint Eastwood were commissioner, Belichick would be rotting in a filthy jail cell right now watching his gallows scaffold being built while street urchins throw rocks at him through the tiny, little window.

FAX

Sfeihc
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Yes because the combined age of our 2 starting corners is 375, and our KR is Eddie Munster. I can't think of a single player that would have fit better than a WR.

no doubt. It obvious their "program" hasn't watched a Chiefs game recently.

88TG88
01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Jake Long going #1 lol

suds79
01-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Uh sickening.

There's said to be 5 elite players in this draft and we don't land a one of them?

No thanks.

I'll take quality over quantity.

FAX
01-24-2008, 12:54 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think it's exactly the kind of thing that Herm would do. Perhaps not the players, but the strategy, I mean.

FAX

Bowser
01-24-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm no draft guru by any means, so I'm going to need someone to explain why that scenario and those picks don't absolutely suck.

Bowser
01-24-2008, 12:55 PM
The more I think about this, the more I think it's exactly the kind of thing that Herm would do. Perhaps not the players, but the strategy, I mean.

FAX

I get the feeling that it wouldn't be Herm pushing for that, but Carl.

FAX
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I get the feeling that it wouldn't be Herm pushing for that, but Carl.

Probably right. I just think that Herm would do this because it would make him look super strategical.

FAX

Bowser
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Jerry: Hah, Carl! This is Jerruh Jones.

Carl: Hello, Jerry. How are you today?

Jerry: Welll, Ah'm sweatin' like a cheap whore in confession, Carl. Ah've got mah eye on that bull dyke runner from Arkansas, and Ah don't think Ah'm gonna be able to nab him sittin' where Ah am in the draft.

Carl: Sounds tough, Jerry. But don't you have two good, young runners, with your backup making the Pro Bowl?

Jerry: Yah, yah, them boys are pretty, pretty good, allright. But this sumbitch here - he's got talent. Ah need him, Carl. Ah need him on mah team. As you know, Ah've got this new stadium goin' up, and Ah need some fresh new blood that the fans know around these parts to come in so these fans will get their fat butts in mah new stadium! HAH! I want players making headlines, Carl. I want the Cowboys to be recognized. And Ah ain't talking about who mah QB is bonin', and where.

Carl: Yes, quite the dillema, Jerry. I'm not sure if...

Jerry: Ah'll give yah both of my first rounders, Carl. How's that sound.

Carl: Well, that sounds pretty nice, but....

Jerry: Ahh, **** it. Just because you are who you are, Ah'll give ya mah second, too. How about that?

Carl: That's a very generous offer, Jerry. But the Chiefs really need a....

Jerry: Carl, you won't have to pay any kid who hasn't played in the NFL more money than you want to give up. Those top 5 draft pick salaries are a bitch to have to dole out. Shit, I got mah Pepsi money to take care of that, if you let me tek that road grater from mah almah mater. Hell, you can let those lower guys sit out all they want! You and I both know they ain't gonna make a shits bit of difference on your team, noways! Listen to good 'ol Jerruh, Carl. I cain't steer you wrong!

Carl: Done.

Brock
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
That should be "Jerra Jones, owner of the Dallassss Cowboyssss".

FAX
01-24-2008, 01:15 PM

Jerry: Welll, Ah'm sweatin' like a cheap whore in confession, Carl. Ah've got mah eye on that bull dyke runner from Arkansas, and Ah don't think Ah'm gonna be able to nab him sittin' where Ah am in the draft.

Carl: Sounds tough, Jerry. But don't you have two good, young runners, with your backup making the Pro Bowl?

Jerry: Yah, yah, them boys are pretty, pretty good, allright. But this sumbitch here - he's got talent. Ah need him, Carl. Ah need him on mah team. As you know, Ah've got this new stadium goin' up, and Ah need some fresh new blood that the fans know around these parts to come in so these fans will get their fat butts in mah new stadium! HAH! I want players making headlines, Carl. I want the Cowboys to be recognized. And Ah ain't talking about who mah QB is bonin', and where.

Jerry: Ahh, **** it. Just because you are who you are, Ah'll give ya mah second, too. How about that?

Jerry: Carl, you won't have to pay any kid who hasn't played in the NFL more money than you want to give up. Those top 5 draft pick salaries are a bitch to have to dole out. Shit, I got mah Pepsi money to take care of that, if you let me tek that road grater from mah almah mater. Hell, you can let those lower guys sit out all they want! You and I both know they ain't gonna make a shits bit of difference on your team, noways! Listen to good 'ol Jerruh, Carl. I cain't steer you wrong!

LMAO

FAX

Coogs
01-24-2008, 01:20 PM

That is pretty good. Unfortunately, Jerry has bent Carl over the table before, and I am guessing he would bend him over the table again. I'm guessing Carl would cave after the two first rounders, and we would never get to the 2nd rounder as well.

Chiefnj2
01-24-2008, 01:30 PM
"The value has to be there. We’re not going to just take a tackle because we’ve got to have a tackle. We might want to move back and acquire another pick. If we’re good scouts, we can get those two, and hopefully those two are just as good as the one we would have gotten higher.”

Chuck Cook from 3 days ago.

FAX
01-24-2008, 01:32 PM
"The value has to be there. We’re not going to just take a tackle because we’ve got to have a tackle. We might want to move back and acquire another pick. If we’re good scouts, we can get those two, and hopefully those two are just as good as the one we would have gotten higher.”

Foreshadowing another decade of doom.

FAX

Bowser
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Basically, he's just talking to hear his own voice. We hear this same line out of Arrowhead every year.

BigRedChief
01-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm no draft guru by any means, so I'm going to need someone to explain why that scenario and those picks don't absolutely suck.
Remember the last time we traded down?

We took Saivii and with the extra pick took Sammie Parker.:mad:

Chiefnj2
01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Remember the last time we traded down?

We took Saivii and with the extra pick took Sammie Parker.:mad:

Remember last time KC had a top 6 pick?

Same nightmare, just a different chapter.

BigRedChief
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
That is pretty good. Unfortunately, Jerry has bent Carl over the table before, and I am guessing he would bend him over the table again. I'm guessing Carl would cave after the two first rounders, and we would never get to the 2nd rounder as well.
He just needs to follow this.
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pvc.gif

BigRedChief
01-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Yep its not the trading down or moving up. It's the one making the decisions. Hopefully as per the rumors King Carl is not the final decision maker any more.

el borracho
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
1. Is it realistic to think that we would aquire more picks this year and be able to sign them all? (we have ten picks, already)

2. The Chiefs are one of the worst teams in the league. Why do people think we could correct all our problems in one offseason?

keg in kc
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
1. Is it realistic to think that we would aquire more picks this year and be able to sign them all? (we have ten picks, already)Don't take this as gospel, but my gut tells me one top 5 pick may cost more than two picks in the 20s. I'd have to do some research (which I'm not planning to do...) to be sure about that.

FAX
01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you're probably right, Mr. keg in kc.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
01-24-2008, 02:29 PM

In all fairness, EVERYONE had Ryan Sims in the top 10.

In this case, the it's the player's fault for not living up to expectation, not the team's fault for picking him in that position. He wasn't a reach.

It just turned out that he sucked.

BigRedChief
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Don't take this as gospel, but my gut tells me one top 5 pick may cost more than two picks in the 20s. I'd have to do some research (which I'm not planning to do...) to be sure about that.
see the draft chart that I posted. It's the standar one used.

And you are correct. To only get Dallas's two 1st rounders would be a bad deal for us.

keg in kc
01-24-2008, 02:34 PM

And you are correct. To only get Dallas's two 1st rounders would be a bad deal for us.I was talking contract dollars, not picks.

Coogs
01-24-2008, 02:36 PM

And you are correct. To only get Dallas's two 1st rounders would be a bad deal for us.

They also have us getting Dallas's 2nd round pick.

Coogs
01-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Looking over their list, I'm not so sure I wouldn't take 2 of the 3 CB's listed (Talib, Cromartie, or McKelvin) in the first round. And then get Williams in the early 2nd.

keg in kc
01-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I dont think that anyone thinks the chiefs can correct all of their problems in 1 offseason, but I (and many others) think we can have a winning record in 2008 and possibly be competitive for the playoffs with shrewd drafting, FA pickups, and good coaching in 2008.Everybodys talking about how we need 6 or 7 immediate contributors from the upcoming draft, but I say you can't count on that, and that success in 2008 depends more on the development of the players drafted in 2006 and 2007. A few of those guys making strides may be the difference between 6-10 and 10-6.

Frosty
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Another young QB and DE.

I hate the Dennis Dixon pick. Dude was so bad in '06 that they benched him for Brady Leaf. Then in '07, they put him in a spread offense so that he could run around to make his throws and he had some early success before blowing out his knee. He's like Michael Vick with less arm.

Ebolapox
01-24-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd be ok with that trade.

el borracho
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
When has anybody ever gotten 6 or 7 immediate contributors from a draft? We would be fortunate to get 4!

el borracho
01-24-2008, 03:00 PM
When has anybody ever gotten 6 or 7 immediate contributors from a draft? We would be fortunate to get 4!
Well, I guess that depends on the definition of "immediate contributor."

Chiefnj2
01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
If KC stays at 5 they probably address DT in round 1 and then WR/CB/OT in round 2.

If KC does the Dallas trade they pretty much ignore DT in the first 2 rounds, but then have 4 picks to address WR/CB/OT/QB/LB.

el borracho
01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I would be surprised if the Chiefs took a QB this year but, if they did, I would be really surprised if they took one in rounds 2,3,4 or 5. That would essentially be picking another Croyle while we are still working with the current Croyle.

FAX
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
... I dont think that anyone thinks the chiefs can correct all of their problems in 1 offseason, but I (and many others) think we can have a winning record in 2008 and possibly be competitive for the playoffs with shrewd drafting, FA pickups, and good coaching in 2008.

And you (and many others) are completely insane.

Anyway, even if we could do that, it's best to keep our expectations low. Think of it as investing in long-term variable annuities while knowing deep in your heart that a rocky asteroid the size of Rosanne Barr's mons is going to kill us all.

FAX

Alton deFlat
01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
This was probably posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it. From CNN-SI

Dolphins
1 DT Glenn Dorsey LSU Sr. 6-1 310
I'm not convinced that new Dolphins football czar Bill Parcells will allow himself to assign No. 1 overall value to an interior defensive lineman, so don't overlook Miami taking defensive end Chris Long of Virginia if, as expected, it gets no offers to trade out of the slot. There's also the issue of whether Dorsey's disruptive style of play would best be used in the 3-4 formation, should the Dolphins switch to it with Parcells on board. But with Miami in need of defensive help, Dorsey is No. 1 for now.

Rams
2 DE Chris Long Virginia Sr. 6-3 266
The Rams' choice will likely boil down to someone named Long, either Chris or Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long (no relation). But we're giving them Howie Long's impressive son, because he's such a solid bet to quickly turn into an impact pro. Long would team nicely with last year's No. 1, defensive tackle Adam Carriker.

Falcons
3 QB Matt Ryan Boston College Sr. 6-5 221
Given the Falcons' fiasco at quarterback in 2007 -- from Michael Vick to Joey Harrington to Byron Leftwich to Chris Redman -- being in position to turn their card in for Ryan seems like the first break Atlanta has gotten in almost a year. What about Brian Brohm? I don't think Arthur Blank is of the mind to take a chance on anyone else from Louisville for a while.

Raiders
4 RB Darren McFadden Arkansas Jr. 6-2 212
My gut tells me the cash-poor Raiders don't really want to be paying a top-five contract again this year, so look for them to shop this pick to some team hot for this year's version of Adrian Peterson. Folks are keeping an eye on Dallas in that regard, because of Jerry Jones' Arkansas ties. If McFadden makes it beyond No. 4, he could tumble past a number of teams who are already set at running back.

Chiefs
5 OT Jake Long Michigan Sr. 6-7 309
After years of excellence, the Chiefs offensive line reached disaster-area status last season. Long would be an immediate upgrade at either tackle, and help get Kansas City's Larry Johnson-led running game back on track.

Jets
6 DE Quentin Groves Auburn Sr. 6-3 249
This is higher than most have Groves going at this point, but he's expected to elevate himself in the round once he works out at both the Combine and at his pro day. Groves has a great burst off the edge, and his top-end speed will likely set him apart in scout's eyes once the memory of his injury-plagued senior season fades.

Pats
7 CB Mike Jenkins South Florida Sr. 6-0 200
With the probable free-agent departure of No. 1 cornerback Asante Samuel this spring, the Patriots will need a cover man. Jenkins is considered the cleanest name in a cornerback crop that lacks depth and impact potential.
*From San Francisco

Ravens
8 QB Brian Brohm Louisville Sr. 6-3 225
Until the Ravens get their long-standing quarterback issues settled, all other needs will continue to seem secondary. Baltimore can't afford to pass on a prospect who has played and starred in a pro-style offense.

Bengals
9 DT Sedrick Ellis USC Sr. 6-1 308
Ellis has turned heads this week in his Senior Bowl practices, and he's the kind of explosive and athletic play-making presence that the Bengals desperately need in their interior defensive line. He's a force to be reckoned with and rarely gets handled by just one blocker.

Saints
10 CB Aqib Talib Kansas Jr. 6-2 201
The Saints didn't upgrade their pass defense enough last offseason (Jason David?) and they paid for it in 2007. Talib is an elite athlete who has NFL size and coverage skills, and his versatility extends to him having played some on offense for the Jayhawks.

Chiefnj2
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I would be surprised if the Chiefs took a QB this year but, if they did, I would be really surprised if they took one in rounds 2,3,4 or 5. That would essentially be picking another Croyle while we are still working with the current Croyle.

They may need Croyle version 1.1 and Croyle version 2.2 if 1.1 can't stay on the field for prolonged periods of time.