PDA

View Full Version : Possible signs that I tip too much?

Pages : [1] 2

alnorth
01-26-2008, 06:00 PM
I order a couple pizzas for a few of us last week before watching NFL playoff games. Through cell phone conversations with friends I notice that a few friends had also ordered a pizza 15 minutes before we did from the same place, I live several blocks farther away, but I get my pizza first.

Yesterday morning, I go for my usual Friday breakfast at IHOP. (I leave home earlier than usual on fridays to get a paper and sit down to some blueberry pancakes before work). I happened to notice a couple waitresses a few tables away briefly argue about who would take my order. The winner of the arguement brings my pancakes swimming with a lot more blueberries and whipped cream than anyone else I could see eating the same sort of thing nearby. If my iced tea so much as drops halfway empty, she's back asking if I'd like a refill with lemon.

Thoughts? If you tip heavily, have you noticed that people start to remember who you are and jump accordingly?

Buck
01-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Well if you like that kind of service then its not too much.

milkman
01-26-2008, 06:03 PM
What's a tip?

alnorth
01-26-2008, 06:03 PM
What's a tip?

lol... umm, a spit-prevention technique?

Simplex3
01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
When I used to frequent places I'd get that kind of treatment. The closest I get now is when I go to CiCi's pizza every Wed night with my son & my dad for guy's night out. They recognize us but since it's server yourself it doesn't help much.

:(

Coach
01-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I order a couple pizzas for a few of us last week before watching NFL playoff games. Through cell phone conversations with friends I notice that a few friends had also ordered a pizza 15 minutes before we did from the same place, I live several blocks farther away, but I get my pizza first.

Yesterday morning, I go for my usual Friday breakfast at IHOP. (I leave home earlier than usual on fridays to get a paper and sit down to some blueberry pancakes before work). I happened to notice a couple waitresses a few tables away briefly argue about who would take my order. The winner of the arguement brings my pancakes swimming with a lot more blueberries and whipped cream than anyone else I could see eating the same sort of thing nearby. If my iced tea so much as drops halfway empty, she's back asking if I'd like a refill with lemon.

Thoughts? If you tip heavily, have you noticed that people start to remember who you are and jump accordingly?

Sometimes, to get excellent customer service, you gotta tip well and often. While it may hurt me finacially, at least it would give me something good in return.

I remember one time that one waitress was awful, never refilled my drink when it was empty, and at some point, I had to wait at least 10-15 minutes before I finally went up and got the ****ing thing myself. The food was good, but she never showed any interest towards me, the customer that is, how my food and etc.

I gave her a penny tip. It was the worst effort I ever received, and I felt the same should be returned.

At a different resturant, where I am a frequent visitor of that resturant, some of the waitress there knows me, and they do exactly the same thing yours does. It's probably, the fact that I apprecaite their concern, like is the food good? How's your day going? Would you like a refill? etc. I didn't have to wait more than just a minute just to get my refill, which is a good thing. And they tend to sneak in a few more fries than a normal order should consist.

Bump
01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
ya I used to eat at the Mongolain BBQ a lot, like several times per week and this one guy would always wait on us and even though it's a buffet he would be busting his butt to give us the best treatment. We usually left him $10 or so everytime. Another place is a bar I used to frequent (too much) and would always tip the bartenders and cocktail waitresses generously and got the special treatment, which was definately worth it at a bar because we never had to wait in any lines if it was busy, get our drinks first and if an idiot tried to start a fight we had the entire bar staff at our backs

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2008, 06:15 PM
What's a tip?

milkman
01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I bet that would be really funny Warpath, if I knew the movie.

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2008, 06:30 PM

:spock:

Seriously?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105236/

Demonpenz
01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
i don't know if this is very professional or not but when i was serving I used to just say well I am sorry i am not a hot girl do you guys need beers. If it was guys i would just flat out ask if they want me to swing by often or they just want to be left alone unless they need something. It worked out ok, and I always had high ratings with customers. I try to tip well at bars so i don't have to move when i need another one

milkman
01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
:spock:

Seriously?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105236/

I really don't watch a lot of movies, and can't actually remember the last movie I went to see at the theater.

So, yeah.
Seriously.

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
I really don't watch a lot of movies, and can't actually remember the last movie I went to see at the theater.

So, yeah.
Seriously.

Worth a rental if you have the time and are in the mood for a gangster/cops/robbers type film.

alnorth
01-26-2008, 06:41 PM

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NcjPxkv7vA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NcjPxkv7vA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

pikesome
01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Worth a rental if you have the time and are in the mood for a gangster/cops/robbers type film.
With a lot of foul language. And I mean a lot.

Skip Towne
01-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Is it on Betamax yet?

milkman
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
With a lot of foul language. And I mean a lot.

**** that, cause, you know that kind of shitty language just offends the hell out of me.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
For every waitress you tip, I'm going to not tip three.

OnTheWarpath15
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Is it on Betamax yet?

Laserdisc.

Coach
01-26-2008, 06:55 PM

And for every waitresses you don't tip, I hope they kick you squarely right at the balls.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 06:57 PM
And for every waitresses you don't tip, I hope they kick you squarely right at the balls.

That would be assault.

milkman
01-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Balls?

What balls?

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I have an advantage over normal males since only one ball be hangin.'

jjchieffan
01-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Are you a male? I thought you were some kind of transvestite.

RJ
01-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Back in the days when I tended bar a couple of my customers were having a discussion about proper tipping percentages. Another customer, always a good tipper, was sitting a few stools up from them, listening in, when he announced very loudly, "Anyone who tips less than 20% is a p***y!". I have found that to be generally true. People who don't tip tend to be either selfish, ignorant on the subject or both. The ignorance, of course, is curable. The selfishness is not.

Or, if you simply can't afford to tip, stay home.

Halfcan
01-26-2008, 07:13 PM
When I used to frequent places I'd get that kind of treatment. The closest I get now is when I go to CiCi's pizza every Wed night with my son & my dad for guy's night out. They recognize us but since it's server yourself it doesn't help much.

:(

wow CiCis huh-that is huge-can I get your autograph?

Scorp
01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Ok......so we are talking about waitress tipping. I have never heard of this past time. Is this like cow tipping? Do they have to be asleep or do you just walk up and push them over anytime? Lastly, do they like this enough to fight over it? Weird. :shrug:

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
In 1989, I was on a small island off the coast of Bombay, looking at some ruins. I wanted to take a picture of a monkey, but this villager woman with a pot on her head was walking by, and she stopped with a big grin next to the monkey. I didn't want her picture, but what the heck - I took the picture.

Then she wanted money. It was annoying, so I dug in my pocket and gave her the smallest bill I had that wasn't insulting. It was worth about 60 cents at the time.

Within about 15 minutes, women with pots on their heads were literally coming down from the hills. I could see them coming. I had women with pots on their heads following me all over the place like I was the lead singer of Devo or something. I had to put the camera away and go incognito. At one point, I heard one of them say to another one, "10 rupees!"

So my rule of thumb is to never give more than a 50-cent tip to Indian peasant women, no matter whether there's a monkey or not.

MIAdragon
01-26-2008, 08:19 PM

Or spit in his food the next time he comes in.

Sully
01-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Iced Tea with blueberry pancakes?

I can't imagine that.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 08:27 PM

at one point in time, i went to a bar with my about every friday. they loved to sic the "new girl" on us, cause we had a reputation for being rowdy. the owners loved us, they'd just sit behind the bar and laugh. when their was no new girl, a waitress would literally steal us from other servers. she would hold a table for 20 if we asked. best barmaid i've ever seen.i think we paid her rent for a solid year.

Bill S Preston
01-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't hand out tips, because no one ever tips me.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 08:37 PM
That would be assault.

and not tipping is stealing

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Is it on Betamax yet?Try this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 08:39 PM

:LOL:

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I don't tip at buffets. I am not tipping someone for just filling my drink.

Simplex3
01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
For every waitress you don't f**k (ie _all_ of them) we're going to tag three.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 08:46 PM
While I'd agree that not tipping is "wrong," it's not stealing. There is no law against being a dick.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't tip much, but I usually give a couple of dollars at buffets.

RJ
01-26-2008, 08:47 PM

I think $2 per person is a good rule for buffets. I always leave something, I don't like an empty tea glass.

RJ
01-26-2008, 08:50 PM
While I'd agree that not tipping is "wrong," it's not stealing. There is no law against being a dick.

True. And if there was a law we wouldn't have nearly enough jails.

RJ
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM
For every waitress you don't f**k (ie _all_ of them) we're going to tag three.

Yes, Clayton doesn't realize the vast reservoir of potential p***y that he is leaving untapped, pun intended.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 08:54 PM

yep and bringing your rolls, carrying your dishes to the back bringing you new plates and being a servant to your every stupid whim

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Yep that's an advantage...........

no not really

just makes you a one balled dip shit

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 09:01 PM
:LOL:

to start off, you tip a server because they make 3.25 an hour. it was only 2.13 before march 2007. you cost the server quite a bit if you don't tip. you still receive service, but won't pay for it. mean while the server still pays taxes on 10% of your total bill, still tips out the busser/bartender/hostess, based on a percentage of his total sales (including the bills he received no compensation for, i.e. you, and all the non tipping assholes). not to mention, your fat ass takes up a full booth by yourself. cause as the jokes go, the only person who'd be seen in public with you, might be your mom. a booth that the server could be making money on. do you understand the only reason you still get wiated on, if you don't tip, is because the management intimidates the servers. "take that table or lose your job." is the manager's mentality. fortunately for you non-tippers, most servers don't know, you have the right to refuse service to anyone. and can not be fired for it. trust me, i recognize non-tippers, or low tipping families. i'm at work to make money, and i will refuse service if i can't make money. if there really is no choice, i will ignore your every need. don't expect more than one drink, don't expect a smile, expect the BARE minimum. don't like it? don't go out to eat, as i'm sure you're not worth ANY servers time.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 09:02 PM

i'd expect you to understand. :shrug:

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:04 PM
i'd expect you to understand. :shrug:
I understand where you're coming from, but like I said... there's no law against it.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 09:08 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but like I said... there's no law against it.

but taking up the time of the server, who gets paid by tips, and TAXED on total sales, without reimbursement is taking money out of the pocket of hard working people. it may not be "technically" stealing, you are TAKING money from people. people who probably really need that money.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:10 PM
but taking up the time of the server, who gets paid by tips, and TAXED on total sales, without reimbursement is taking money out of the pocket of hard working people. it may not be "technically" stealing, you are TAKING money from people. people who probably really need that money.

agreed

BWillie
01-26-2008, 09:13 PM

If you aren't ever going to return to the establishment, are traveling, and do not live in the area I see no point in tipping. What are they gonna do

cdcox
...trust me, i recognize non-tippers, or low tipping families...

NASCAR hats?

Fire Me Boy!
I'm struggling with that rationale because the server took the job with the full knowledge that his or her livelihood would be dependent upon what essentially boils down to the generosity of others.

People are not required to tip. That's the bottom line. If someone wants a more stable job with more reliable income, they shouldn't be working in food service.

Don't get me wrong, I tip. And I tip fairly well. People that don't tip should be taken out and beaten.

But tipping is not required. It's a gratuity, which by definition is "a gift."

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
yep and bringing your rolls, carrying your dishes to the back bringing you new plates and being a servant to your every stupid whimWhen I do buffet, its usually Chinese. No rolls, and the plates are near the food. I don't have any whims...

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:14 PM
If you aren't ever going to return to the establishment, are traveling, and do not live in the area I see no point in tipping. What are they gonna dojack your credit card account and go online shopping

j/k

I had to fire someone for doing that once

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:15 PM
When I do buffet, its usually Chinese. No rolls, and the plates are near the food. I don't have any whims...

oh you got whims, everyones got whims

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
If they would put a water spigot near the food, I'd never need a server.

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
oh you got whims, everyones got whimsYes, to go eat chinese buffet...

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm struggling with that rationale because the server took the job with the full knowledge that his or her livelihood would be dependent upon what essentially boils down to the generosity of others.

People are not required to tip. That's the bottom line. If someone wants a more stable job with more reliable income, they shouldn't be working in food service.

Don't get me wrong, I tip. And I tip fairly well. People that don't tip should be taken out and beaten.

I tell you what you should do everyone should not tip for a whole month

Then see what happens to the price of your food next time you go out to eat, the affordability of the food is directly related to the cost. If a server makes no tips then the company will have to raise wages. Guess who that gets passed on to. I guarantee in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to lay down a buck or two.

Furthermore, I disagree with the generosity statement. The law was made to exclude tipped employees from minimum wage to save in particular restaurants alot of money. It obviously is expected or there wouldn't be any law.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I tell you what you should do everyone should not tip for a whole month

Then see what happens to the price of your food next time you go out to eat, the affordability of the food is directly related to the cost. If a server makes no tips then the company will have to raise wages. Guess who that gets passed on to. I guarantee in the long run it'd probably be cheaper to lay down a buck or two.

Furthermore, I disagree with the generosity statement. The law was made to exclude tipped employees from minimum wage to save in particular restaurants alot of money. It obviously is expected or there wouldn't be any law.
It's expected, yes. It's deserved (IMO), yes. It's required, NO.

That makes it NOT stealing.

I agree with the majority. I tip, I'm not saying I don't. I tip pretty well.

And I totally get that if tipping weren't expected the price of food would be higher.

But here's the deal... it's not required. If it were required it would be added to every bill, from McDonald's to Dairy Queen, from Houston's to McCormick & Schmick's.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm just repeating so people don't put me in GOATSE's camp.

I tip at all times.

One time I didn't tip -- service was horrible and I spoke with a manager to make the point that I didn't "forget" the tip and that I wasn't a bad tipper, that the service was atrocious.

I'm simply arguing that to not tip is NOT stealing.

RJ
01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
If you aren't ever going to return to the establishment, are traveling, and do not live in the area I see no point in tipping. What are they gonna do

From the guy who doesn't want to pay for his date's dinner.

So you want to split the tab, leave no tip and get laid after. Well, more power to you if you can pull it off, I guess.

Me, I always took the easy way out and spent the money.

JBucc
01-26-2008, 09:28 PM
I tip in Chuck-E-Cheese coins.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 09:28 PM

it may not be required, but it is expected. if you are not prepared to tip, do not go out to eat. no server will miss you, i promise. and who knows, you may cut the spit out of your diet.

sometimes people don't have a choice but to go into food service. its a job that pays the bills. some times, they're in school and have schedule conflicts, single moms, dads trying to pay child support, i've seen all types of people, with different reasons for getting into it.

this is a planet leaving topic for me, FMB. i understand you yourself tip, but the ones that don't, really don't need to be going out.

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 09:29 PM
The notion that NOT tipping is stealing, is nuts.

Gratuity is something that is earned. If you are not taking my order and bringing me my food, I'm not giving you money...

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
It's expected, yes. It's deserved (IMO), yes. It's required, NO.

That makes it NOT stealing.

I agree with the majority. I tip, I'm not saying I don't. I tip pretty well.

And I totally get that if tipping weren't expected the price of food would be higher.

But here's the deal... it's not required. If it were required it would be added to every bill, from McDonald's to Dairy Queen, from Houston's to McCormick & Schmick's.

I personally don't equate it to stealing.

In my mind however it is required, maybe not by the law. (I guarantee whichever president run his campaign on that slogan would win)

I see them as being under minimum wage and it is assumed that tips would be made to compensate the difference if good service is received.

The funny thing about all this is that the need for tips make service better. Ask the 16 year old at Mcdonalds to go out of his way to give good service and he'll probably just tell you to **** off.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
it may not be required, but it is expected. if you are not prepared to tip, do not go out to eat. no server will miss you, i promise. and who knows, you may cut the spit out of your diet.

sometimes people don't have a choice but to go into food service. its a job that pays the bills. some times, they're in school and have schedule conflicts, single moms, dads trying to pay child support, i've seen all types of people, with different reasons for getting into it.

this is a planet leaving topic for me, FMB. i understand you yourself tip, but the ones that don't, really don't need to be going out.
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's expected. And I certainly wouldn't want you to leave the planet.

I hope you realize that I'm just arguing the point about stealing.

You're 100 percent right that it's expected and that people that don't tip shouldn't go out.

And if they do go out, they should be refused service.

But until they enact a law that says tipping is "required," I'm going to argue the principle that it's not stealing.

I've said my piece, I'll leave it alone.

You're cool in my book. And there's a reason GOATSE is on my CPiggy list.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:32 PM
The notion that NOT tipping is stealing, is nuts.

Gratuity is something that is earned. If you are not taking my order and bringing me my food, I'm not giving you money...

so do you tip the pizza guy

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
kcfanXIII, check your rep.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you that it's expected. And I certainly wouldn't want you to leave the planet.

I hope you realize that I'm just arguing the point about stealing.

You're 100 percent right that it's expected and that people that don't tip shouldn't go out.

And if they do go out, they should be refused service.

But until they enact a law that says tipping is "required," I'm going to argue the principle that it's not stealing.

I've said my piece, I'll leave it alone.

You're cool in my book. And there's a reason GOATSE is on my CPiggy list.

then i'm deleting my last post.

cdcox
01-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Summarizing.

People who think it is expected: everybody

People who think not tipping is stealing (against the law): nobody

People who tip: everyone who deserves to be treated better than a stray dog.

Fire Me Boy!
and i'm simply saying that not tipping>downloading movies.
Why you gotta go there, man? I'm being very civil to you... just set you rep. Agreeing with you.

Then you bring something up that not only is intellectual theft (by the very definition), but is also expressly against the law.

You have no leg to stand on until a law is put in place regarding tipping.

RJ
I've heard that FMB will only tip if the apricot preserves are superb.

JBucc
01-26-2008, 09:35 PM
so do you tip the pizza guy
Do you tip the wood guy?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
No, no, no. I tip roughly 57 percent if the apricot preserves are superb.

I tip 4 percent if they're not. And I steal the silverware.

cdcox
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM

You've got him mixed up with Simply Red.

SPchief
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM
fortunately for you non-tippers, most servers don't know, you have the right to refuse service to anyone. and can not be fired for it.

This is wrong. It's managements discretion on whether or not a person can be served, not the server. If one of my severs refused to serve someone based on looks, you bet your ass I'm gonna fire them.

BigMeatballDave
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
so do you tip the pizza guyYes. Quite generously, actually. He is walking my food from his vehicle to my door. Gratuity is deserved, especially if its cold.
I usually tip them 25%.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Do you tip the wood guy?

as in "wood" you tell my what the **** you're talking about

RJ
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
You've got him mixed up with Simply Red.

No, you haven't heard. FMB has converted. He is now a Preservist.

J Diddy
Yes. Quite generously, actually. He is walking my food from his vehicle to my door. Gratuity is deserved, especially if its cold.
I usually tip them 25%.

okay you're alright by me then

but if you go to golden corral you should tip, especially if the servers a hot brunette

Fire Me Boy!
Yes. Quite generously, actually. He is walking my food from his vehicle to my door. Gratuity is deserved, especially if its cold.
I usually tip them 25%.
ROFL

There for a second I thought you meant if the PIZZA was cold!

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:40 PM
I prefer "preserve enthusiast."

Simply Red is what I'd call a "preserve aficionado".

cdcox

Has he given up barleyism?

kcfanXIII
so its not stealing.

its accepting a service and not paying for it.

i don't steal cable

i spliced into my neighbor's box

i don't steal movies

i copy them from my hard drive to a dvd

my point is it doesn't really matter, if legally its stealing or not, the end result is the same.

i do think i should let this topic alone for now though. the part that is most funny, is i don't even wait tables any more, i just still feel so strongly about the subject.

RJ
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
I prefer "preserve enthusiast."

Simply Red is what I'd call a "preserve aficionado".

LMAO

JBucc
01-26-2008, 09:41 PM
as in "wood" you tell my what the **** you're talking aboutOk, I guess not. But what if he delivers the coal too? Then do you tip him?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm now experimenting...

1 c. hulled barley
2 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. grape preserves
1 c. KC Masterpiece
1/4 c. honey
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. liquid smoke

Toast the barley in a 6-quart pressure cooker (approximately 45 seconds on medium high). Add stock, grape preserves, BBQ sauce, honey, bay leaf and liquid smoke.

Bring to pressure and drop heat to medium. Once pressurized, cook for 11 minutes.

RJ
01-26-2008, 09:43 PM

It turned out to be a false religion. In his quest for truth he has begun studying malt.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 09:44 PM

Not unlike the 99 percent of servers who make good money off of tips and don't report it on their taxes, thereby stealing from people like me who pay our taxes honestly.

Sully
Barney Coopersmith: You don't tip FBI men!
Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: Sure you do!

RJ
I'm now experimenting...

1 c. hulled barley
2 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. grape preserves
1 c. KC Masterpiece
1/4 c. honey
1 bay leaf

Toast the barley in a 6-quart pressure cooker (approximately 45 seconds on medium high). Add stock, grape preserves, BBQ sauce, honey and bay leaf.

Bring to pressure and drop heat to medium. Once pressurized, cook for 11 minutes.

No liquid smoke?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:45 PM
so its not stealing.

its accepting a service and not paying for it.

i don't steal cable

i spliced into my neighbor's box

i don't steal movies

i copy them from my hard drive to a dvd

my point is it doesn't really matter, if legally its stealing or not, the end result is the same.

i do think i should let this topic alone for now though. the part that is most funny, is i don't even wait tables any more, i just still feel so strongly about the subject.
I'm finding it very difficult not to argue, like I said I would.

Fire Me Boy!
No liquid smoke?
F*CK!

I knew I was forgetting something.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

BigMeatballDave
ROFL

There for a second I thought you meant if the PIZZA was cold!:D It does kinda read that way. Last sunday it was 7 degrees out. I was about to watch football and there was no way I was going out. I ordered $18 worth of pizza and stuff from East of Chicago. All the boxes were very warm and he got a $5 tip.

kcfanXIII
This is wrong. It's managements discretion on whether or not a person can be served, not the server. If one of my severs refused to serve someone based on looks, you bet your ass I'm gonna fire them.

i'd waited on this family 3 or 4 times. something was always wrong with their food, they always got something free, and never tipped me, even when i went out of my way to make sure her "problems" were taken care of. i had a long night, and it was 30 min till close and if i had to deal with her bullshit, you might have seen me on the news. i told my boss, "i'm not making money off it, i'm not taking care of her, and if i had to, they would be my last priority." meaning i would vacuum BEFORE i took their order. all in all, its really good i got out of the business.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Barney Coopersmith: You don't tip FBI men!
Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: Sure you do!
I'm wit chu.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Not unlike the 99 percent of servers who make good money off of tips and don't report it on their taxes, thereby stealing from people like me who pay our taxes honestly.

right and they can't be audited

so you're saying i shouldn't pay you for your work because someone in your line of business could be cheating on their taxes

alnorth
01-26-2008, 09:49 PM
When it comes to tips, I'm easily impressed. It doesnt take a lot of effort, just get my order correct and bring the food in a reasonable amount of time. If something goes wrong I'm still fine if you fix it. Check on my table once or twice and everything's golden.

I think the only time I tipped poorly, the service really sucked. Wrong order, then when she went to correct it she blew it again. Didnt faze her at all, acted like she didnt care. Never came back again for drinks or asking if everything was ok, just nothing till it was time to pay. I think I left a quarter and wrote a little note on a napkin.

Its kind of the same way in retail, if I dont know what I'm doing, need help, and someone just goes way above and beyond what youd expect from the usual disinterested teenage stockboy and answers product-knowledge questions, finds what I need, etc then I'll seek out his manager to tell the store about it.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
i'd waited on this family 3 or 4 times. something was always wrong with their food, they always got something free, and never tipped me, even when i went out of my way to make sure her "problems" were taken care of. i had a long night, and it was 30 min till close and if i had to deal with her bullshit, you might have seen me on the news. i told my boss, "i'm not making money off it, i'm not taking care of her, and if i had to, they would be my last priority." meaning i would vacuum BEFORE i took their order. all in all, its really good i got out of the business.

yeah to be truthful, I would have probably fired you

Thig Lyfe
01-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Are you a male? I thought you were some kind of transvestite.

Not only are the two not mutually exclusive, but the latter usually requires the former. You're looking for transsexual or hermaphrodite.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 09:51 PM

so you're saying i shouldn't pay you for your work because someone in your line of business could be cheating on their taxes

I'm saying that long ago when I worked in a restaurant every waitress there cheated on her taxes. Every one of them. Not one of them didn't cheat. Every single one of them.

In my business, there's a paper trail. I'm sure some people cheat, but not on 75 percent of their income.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-26-2008, 09:51 PM

I waited tables when I was in college and have tipped particularly well ever since I walked in those shoes. I can tell you from both sides of the fence, that you get what you pay for.

BWillie
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
From the guy who doesn't want to pay for his date's dinner.

So you want to split the tab, leave no tip and get laid after. Well, more power to you if you can pull it off, I guess.

Me, I always took the easy way out and spent the money.

No, I've never not tipped before. But I always ask myself why I do. It's not something you have to do. I don't mind tipping at food establishments but why should I have to at a bar when they just give me a beer from below. I also think it's bs that you get glared at at the casino when you don't tip. You are already gambling your money away, why should you have to tip too.

RJ
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM

I believe they can be audited, or at least that's what I was told when I was in the business. Supposedly your claimed tips should work out to about 10% of your orders.

JohninGpt
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
That's why you left the tips in the first place, and that's why you return. Enjoy the fruits of your investment.

J Diddy
I'm saying that long ago when I worked in a restaurant every waitress there cheated on her taxes. Every one of them. Not one of them didn't cheat. Every single one of them.

In my business, there's a paper trail. I'm sure some people cheat, but not on 75 percent of their income.

75% is quite a high number considering one of the signs to trigger an audit is claiming less than 15% of food sales. However, if they do get audited the irs requires a daily journal of tips received.

kcfanXIII
last thing, this is something i wrote after a long night at 54th street.
DON'T F@$K WITH PEOPLE WHO HANDLE YOUR FOOD

National Association of Servers Tired of You.

If you don't tip your server, we're tired of you. if you don't tip, you don't eat out. simple enough for you? i don't make 2.13 an hour so you can come in and stiff me. Scott Schmitt, if i see you in public, you owe me 15 bucks.

If you come in late at night, and have a problem with the service, and complain to management, we're tired of you. come in earlier or fork over an inflated tip.

If you tip less than 20 percent, we're tired of you. stay home and don't waste my time with your 10% or 15%. were you unhappy with the service? fine leave less, but if you leave less than 20% for good service, you're not leaving enough.

If you have kids, and don't limit the mess they make, we're tired of you. i don't care how much you leave, there are few things more disgusting than cleaning under your tables at the end of the night, and finding a half eaten chicken finger and a hand full of chip crumbs and rice.

If you drink your soda in less than 30 seconds, we're tired of you. don't complain because i'm getting three other tables their first round of drinks, and you have to wait a couple of minutes for me to get you a refill. take your time on that diet coke, i'll have you a new one as soon as i can.

for information on joining NASTY, please contact me via <edit> chiefsplanet<edit>.

peace love and a world where everyone takes care of their server.
paul

cdcox
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I'm now experimenting...

1 c. hulled barley
2 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. grape preserves
1 c. KC Masterpiece
1/4 c. honey
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. liquid smoke

Toast the barley in a 6-quart pressure cooker (approximately 45 seconds on medium high). Add stock, grape preserves, BBQ sauce, honey, bay leaf and liquid smoke.

Coming up to pressure NOW.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 09:55 PM
I believe they can be audited, or at least that's what I was told when I was in the business. Supposedly your claimed tips should work out to about 10% of your orders.

yeah, I was being sarcastic

I'm still in the business as is my wife

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Coming up to pressure NOW.
ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 09:58 PM
SR is missing a QUALITY thread here.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure when the rule switched from 15 percent to 20 percent, but it did at some point.

I tip the following:

Restaurants with service: Between 15 percent and 20 percent. 1 time out of 200 I'll tip more than 20 percent, and 1 time out of 200 I'll tip below 15 percent. It annoys me because if I see a waitress with six tables, and we're all tipping her $10 on a $50 bill, she's making over $60 an hour tax-free. I'm sorry, but a waitress shouldn't be making more than an entry-level engineer.

Pizza guy. $2 or $2.50. Sorry, but he's getting paid already. If he wants to come in and serve me drinks, I'll give him more. It takes him 10 minutes to drive my pizza over, so if 6 people each give him $2, he's making $12 an hour plus what his real pay is.

Takeout restaurants with those incredibly annoying "tip" lines on the credit card bill. 80% of the time, I'll put down $1, 20% of the time, it's $0. I hate that. If they're not providing table service, this is just begging. If I know that a takeout place has this stupid, begging, annoying line on their credit card receipt, I'll just pay cash.

Valet parking - I will avoid valet parking at all costs, because it annoys me to pay tips for something that should be free. I'll park at a restaurant that has ample parking, thank you very much. If I absolutely have to tip, I'll do a couple of bucks or so.

Bottom line: I hate being "socially obligated" to pay someone money to do their job. All this talk about "rewarding service" is bogus. They work in the service industry. Providing service is their baseline job requirement.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
last thing, this is something i wrote after a long night at 54th street.
DON'T F@$K WITH PEOPLE WHO HANDLE YOUR FOOD

National Association of Servers Tired of You.

If you don't tip your server, we're tired of you. if you don't tip, you don't eat out. simple enough for you? i don't make 2.13 an hour so you can come in and stiff me. Scott Schmitt, if i see you in public, you owe me 15 bucks.

If you come in late at night, and have a problem with the service, and complain to management, we're tired of you. come in earlier or fork over an inflated tip.

If you tip less than 20 percent, we're tired of you. stay home and don't waste my time with your 10% or 15%. were you unhappy with the service? fine leave less, but if you leave less than 20% for good service, you're not leaving enough.

If you have kids, and don't limit the mess they make, we're tired of you. i don't care how much you leave, there are few things more disgusting than cleaning under your tables at the end of the night, and finding a half eaten chicken finger and a hand full of chip crumbs and rice.

If you drink your soda in less than 30 seconds, we're tired of you. don't complain because i'm getting three other tables their first round of drinks, and you have to wait a couple of minutes for me to get you a refill. take your time on that diet coke, i'll have you a new one as soon as i can.

for information on joining NASTY, please contact me via <edit> chiefsplanet<edit>.

peace love and a world where everyone takes care of their server.
paul

I've bolded everything that makes you sound like a whiny bitch that needs to find a new job. It's the restaurant industry, what do you expect? 20% tips are reserved for excellent service, not good or adequete service. Kids are going to be there, be prepared to clean up after them. The soda is whiny too, if you don't keep me refilled, no matter how fast I drink it, your tip is going down. I worked the job, and I know what the expectations are. As wrong as I think it is for people to not tip fairly, I know first hand that servers are whiny creatures that have a sense of entitlement that far exceeds reason.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
SR is missing a QUALITY thread here.

ya, i can't seem to pull myself away.

RJ
01-26-2008, 10:02 PM
No, I've never not tipped before. But I always ask myself why I do. It's not something you have to do. I don't mind tipping at food establishments but why should I have to at a bar when they just give me a beer from below. I also think it's bs that you get glared at at the casino when you don't tip. You are already gambling your money away, why should you have to tip too.

The people behind the bar are not well compensated by their employer for handing you a beer. That is because the employer assumes he will be tipped by you. If he finds out that the employee will not be tipped by you and will have to pay the employee a higher wage he will then raise the price of the beer, unless of course the other bar patrons are willing to tip the bar employee enough to compensate for your lack of tipping.

I can't respond about the casino employees, I have no idea how they are paid.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-26-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure when the rule switched from 15 percent to 20 percent, but it did at some point.

I tip the following:

Restaurants with service: Between 15 percent and 20 percent. 1 time out of 200 I'll tip more than 20 percent, and 1 time out of 200 I'll tip below 15 percent. It annoys me because if I see a waitress with six tables, and we're all tipping her $10 on a $50 bill, she's making over $60 an hour tax-free. I'm sorry, but a waitress shouldn't be making more than an entry-level engineer.

Pizza guy. $2 or $2.50. Sorry, but he's getting paid already. If he wants to come in and serve me drinks, I'll give him more. It takes him 10 minutes to drive my pizza over, so if 6 people each give him $2, he's making $12 an hour plus what his real pay is.

Takeout restaurants with those incredibly annoying "tip" lines on the credit card bill. 80% of the time, I'll put down $1, 20% of the time, it's $0. I hate that. If they're not providing table service, this is just begging. If I know that a takeout place has this stupid, begging, annoying line on their credit card receipt, I'll just pay cash.

Valet parking - I will avoid valet parking at all costs, because it annoys me to pay tips for something that should be free. I'll park at a restaurant that has ample parking, thank you very much. If I absolutely have to tip, I'll do a couple of bucks or so.

Bottom line: I hate being "socially obligated" to pay someone money to do their job. All this talk about "rewarding service" is bogus. They work in the service industry. Providing service is their baseline job requirement.

$2 is not a tip. It's the gas money you didn't use to get the pizza yourself. If he gets tipped $2 from 6 people every hour, he is lucky to break even. Most people don't tip the pizza guy. It's a losing proposition, and I'm not sure why anyone but the most lazy in our society even does that job.

JohninGpt
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I've bolded everything that makes you sound like a whiny bitch that needs to find a new job. It's the restaurant industry, what do you expect? 20% tips are reserved for excellent service, not good or adequete service. Kids are going to be there, be prepared to clean up after them. The soda is whiny too, if you don't keep me refilled, no matter how fast I drink it, your tip is going down. I worked the job, and I know what the expectations are. As wrong as I think it is for people to not tip fairly, I know first hand that servers are whiny creatures that have a sense of entitlement that far exceeds reason.
Yup, you get what you pay for, but you don't pay in advance. Shitty service gets little to no tip.

alnorth
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I also think it's bs that you get glared at at the casino when you don't tip. You are already gambling your money away, why should you have to tip too.

I'm afraid I do that too. Its kind of funny when I place a dealer bet that wins, theres usually a couple others at the table who are confused thinking "am I supposed to do that too?", and someone else usually starts throwing in.

I play a few hours of blackjack every couple weeks or so. I do have my bad nights where I dont feel obligated to add on to my losses, but with my card-counting I'm usually able to grind down the house edge and come out a little bit higher than even, but I usually throw that profit away on dealer bets. I earn money at the day job, I'm just at the casino for entertainment.

I dont think theres any obligation at all to tip the dealer, but generally if I have a very good dealer who is smooth and keeps the game moving without just being a dull robot, I figure they probably earned at least a few extra bucks.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:06 PM
My baseline tip is 15 percent. Average service gets 15 percent. Good service gets more depending on how good. Bad service gets less depending on how less.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:07 PM
75% is quite a high number considering one of the signs to trigger an audit is claiming less than 15% of food sales. However, if they do get audited the irs requires a daily journal of tips received.

It was just an estimate, but when I worked in a resaurant 20+ years ago, the waitresses there always reported tips that added up to minimum wage. Their wage was $2.xx an hour, and the minimum wage was $3.xx an hour, and they generally made at least $5 to $10 an hour in tips, none of which was ever shared with the cooks, thank you very much.

If you own a restaurant, you should try a system whereby you prominently don't require tips, and pay your servers more. It'd be interesting to see how that impacts your business. I bet it would go up. I'd love to pay at restaurants the same way I pay for everything else in my life, without having to feel like Omar the Rug Trader haggling over the price.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:08 PM
$2 is not a tip. It's the gas money you didn't use to get the pizza yourself. If he gets tipped $2 from 6 people every hour, he is lucky to break even. Most people don't tip the pizza guy. It's a losing proposition, and I'm not sure why anyone but the most lazy in our society even does that job.
To an extent I agree... He didn't use a half-gallon of gas driving to my house. My $2 tip paid for his gas used 5 times over.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
So what is a waitperson's typical annual income? Anyone know? Let's assume a restaurant where a tab for two runs about $40-$50.

Hammock Parties
This thread requires KcChiefsServicePerson

Mr. Flopnuts
To an extent I agree... He didn't use a half-gallon of gas driving to my house. My $2 tip paid for his gas used 5 times over.

Depending on how far away you live, and what he's driving, it's quite possible he did. I know my statement was an exaggeration, but really not by much. Even when gas wasn't expensive like it is now, I knew friends that busted their asses and didn't break even on gas consumption on some days. People just don't tip the pizza guy. It's right up there with tipping for coffee.

SPchief
01-26-2008, 10:11 PM

In my experience most people claim all of their tips. I know I did when I was serving/bartending. I could care less about the $45 paycheck. If you claim all of your tips, you get a lower paycheck but your tax return is much much larger.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
So what is a waitperson's typical annual income? Anyone know? Let's assume a restaurant where a tab for two runs about $40-$50.
All of the waiters/waitresses I've known didn't EVER report their actual income.

RJ
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
yeah, I was being sarcastic

I'm still in the business as is my wife

Oops, I got my posters mixed up. I thought you were on the anti-tipping, anti-server side of the issue. I hate election years.

Mr. Flopnuts

That fits The Olive Garden to a tee. (I never saw Big Daddy when I worked there) I worked in a very busy environment and made about 30k a year working 30 hours a week. It was a good income, probably a little overpaid, but there are people who do a lot less that make a lot more. It's the perfect college job because you report so little of your tips that it doesn't affect your student aid.

kcfanXIII

ya, it was time to find a new job for sure. i wrote that after a particularly long and stressful night. food service kind of got me my job now. that i love by the way. i had worked for a small local company before on the service side of things, well the people that run the company were customers, and a job opened up. i happened to provide excellent service, and they offered me a job. still work there.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM

my wife makes about $20000 a year

JohninGpt
01-26-2008, 10:13 PM
This thread requires KcChiefsServicePerson
Yes, I could use another drink.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Depending on how far away you live, and what he's driving, it's quite possible he did. I know my statement was an exaggeration, but really not by much. Even when gas wasn't expensive like it is now, I knew friends that busted their asses and didn't break even on gas consumption on some days. People just don't tip the pizza guy. It's right up there with tipping for coffee.
I have no sympathy for a guy with a crappy-mileage car in the delivery business. It's just not smart to deliver pizza (or any food) if you drive a gas guzzler.

That's just common sense.

FTR, most pizza places won't deliver over a certain area... I know a lot of places that won't deliver more than 10 miles. Even if you owned a truck that got 16 mpg, you'd still come out on top from one trip to deliver a pizza.

And most pizza places don't send out one pizza at a time.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM

On a similar topic, I think a great pizza delivery model would be to put your pizza ovens in a fleet of Winnebagos. When someone orders a pizza, you drive to their house while the pizza cooks, and then deliver them a piping hot pizza. I bet the Winnebago payments would be less than rent.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM

I'm glad you're an expert

FYI, all drivers at my stores get mileage per run--$1, they make minimum wage plus report ALL TIPS

They average from $11-$20 per hour

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
On a similar topic, I think a great pizza delivery model would be to put your pizza ovens in a fleet of Winnebagos. When someone orders a pizza, you drive to their house while the pizza cooks, and then deliver them a piping hot pizza. I bet the Winnebago payments would be less than rent.

it's been done

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM

i made somewhere around 24k-26k working at an applebee's like restaurant. averaged to about 12-14 dollars an hour.

Sully
01-26-2008, 10:17 PM
i made somewhere around 24k-26k working at an applebee's like restaurant.
How much Flair did you have to wear?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:17 PM
That fits The Olive Garden to a tee. (I never saw Big Daddy when I worked there) I worked in a very busy environment and made about 30k a year working 30 hours a week. It was a good income, probably a little overpaid, but there are people who do a lot less that make a lot more. It's the perfect college job because you report so little of your tips that it doesn't affect your student aid.
There are also a LOT of people that do a LOT more and get paid less.

When I worked at a newspaper as a reporter I worked quite literally twice that many hours and never topped $30K. And I worked my ass off.

SPchief
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Before management, I was pulling around $25000

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 10:19 PM

lol, none. its was all over the walls

JohninGpt
01-26-2008, 10:20 PM
15 pieces, I don't even know what they said.

Rain Man
So I'm seeing figures that range from $20,000 to $40,000 with artificially low taxes for a typical waitperson in a $25 entree restaurant. I was expecting to see a figure somewhere in the upper end of that range, based on what I typically hear.

Hammock Parties
When I worked at a newspaper as a reporter I worked quite literally twice that many hours and never topped $30K. And I worked my ass off.

Yep. It's a shit job.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
So I'm seeing figures that range from $20,000 to $40,000 with artificially low taxes for a typical waitperson in a $25 entree restaurant. I was expecting to see a figure somewhere in the upper end of that range, based on what I typically hear.

my wife waits on alot of people that are in this thread obviously

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Yep. It's a shit job.

until you get good

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 10:22 PM

i might put up with the BS for 40k a year.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Me, too. My SIL was recently a waitress at a restaurant that was below that price range and talked about averaging $90 a day in tips.

The math there comes down to $14.37 per hour (before taxes), which comes to $29,889.60.

Add just another $10 a night in tips and you raise that yearly income $2,600.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:24 PM
it's been done

Are they really, really rich, or is there a flaw in my idea?

And for the record, I'm not anti-waitperson. However, I think that there are some professions that tend to get higher wages because people see them more. For every waitress making $30,000 to $35,000, there's a dishwasher making $15,000 who is working just as hard. I'd rather see the dishwasher make more money than the waitress, because I don't think the waitress's job is that much harder.

(Disclaimer: I worked my way through junior high, high school, and much of college as a cook, dishwasher, and busboy.)

J Diddy
Me, too. My SIL was recently a waitress at a restaurant that was below that price range and talked about averaging $90 a day in tips.

The math there comes down to $14.37 per hour (before taxes), which comes to $29,889.60.

maybe me wife isn't accurately reporting her income to me then

Fire Me Boy!
Yep. It's a shit job.
You wouldn't know what being a journalist is if kicked you in your nut.

JohninGpt
01-26-2008, 10:26 PM
There's a shocker, I doubt that my wife accurately reports my income to me.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I've always wondered about the wait staff at really upper-end restaurants. For example, for birthdays, my wife and I will often go to a restaurant where the total bill is in the $150 range. A 20% tip there is $30, and I know the waitress typically has four or five tables. However, I also know that they typically share their tips with the other staff, too. I wonder what they pull down?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Yep. It's a shit job.
More accurately, it was a shitty place to work. At the time, the KC Star average for my education/experience at the time was $15K higher.

I'm not in newspapers anymore, thankfully. And I'm a lot better at what I do than when I was there.

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM

some smaller places develop a strong regular base where that's possible. made at least 30k as a day bartender at a joint like that. owners closed us down to open a new location in ****in kansas.

J Diddy

And for the record, I'm not anti-waitperson. However, I think that there are some professions that tend to get higher wages because people see them more. For every waitress making $30,000 to $35,000, there's a dishwasher making $15,000 who is working just as hard. I'd rather see the dishwasher make more money than the waitress, because I don't think the waitress's job is that much harder.

(Disclaimer: I worked my way through junior high, high school, and much of college as a cook, dishwasher, and busboy.)

http://www.coolbusinessideas.com/archives/mobile_pizza.html

yeah, he's pretty much the god of independent pizzerias

Rain Man

Does she drive a Mercedes?

I have access to my wife's W-2, but I suspect that she underreports her expenses to me. "Wow, a Gucci purse for $30? You DID get a good deal."

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Does she drive a Mercedes?

I have access to my wife's W-2, but I suspect that she underreports her expenses to me. "Wow, a Gucci purse for $30? You DID get a good deal."

no, a kia

The only way she gets a mercedes is if she saves the money outright, we don't do payments around these parts

kcfanXIII
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I've always wondered about the wait staff at really upper-end restaurants. For example, for birthdays, my wife and I will often go to a restaurant where the total bill is in the $150 range. A 20% tip there is $30, and I know the waitress typically has four or five tables. However, I also know that they typically share their tips with the other staff, too. I wonder what they pull down?

they make REALLY good money, but its harder to get a job at a high end restaurant.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.coolbusinessideas.com/archives/mobile_pizza.html

yeah, he's pretty much the god of independent pizzerias

Dammit. I really need to start acting on these great ideas of mine. I just hope my idea of posting pictures of naked women on the Internet hasn't already been done.

SPchief
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
some smaller places develop a strong regular base where that's possible. made at least 30k as a day bartender at a joint like that. owners closed us down to open a new location in ****in kansas.

Which is why this is key to being a good server. Building regular customers is a great way to make a steady income. The most successful severs are the people who have regulars come in just to see them. I know when I lived in Springtown, I could go into work on Sunday, work from 12-7 and walk out with close to $200 each week. The same 9-10 families came in each week to see me and have lunch after church.

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Dammit. I really need to start acting on these great ideas of mine. I just hope my idea of posting pictures of naked women on the Internet hasn't already been done.

lol

I'm pretty sure that's the first site that went up

alnorth
01-26-2008, 10:34 PM

I wonder if you have to work your way up like in baseball. Fresh out of high school you are a young eager rookie chasing a dream, working at the cheap little IHOP I sometimes eat at. Do well, show the world that you have potential, put up good numbers and you may get called up to AA where you wait tables at Applebee's. A blessed few of them are able to break into the $40-$50 restaurants, a little more money but still not rich.

Then you have the rare stars of the profession that make the serious money. The ones who no longer have to care about tips, because they have proven themselves and worked their way into the show. Restaurants where they wear nice clothes and serve tiny portions of food at laughable prices in places that play fancy music in the background.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:36 PM
they make REALLY good money, but its harder to get a job at a high end restaurant.

Yeah, I figure those gigs are pretty competitive.

At some point, I remember meeting a guy who was a waiter at one of those restaurants. He drove a nice car and lived in a nice neighborhood, and was in his 50s. I remember thinking that it wouldn't be fun to have a 30-year career as a waiter, but apparently he had worked himself into a position where it was a very good living.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I figure those gigs are pretty competitive.

At some point, I remember meeting a guy who was a waiter at one of those restaurants. He drove a nice car and lived in a nice neighborhood, and was in his 50s. I remember thinking that it wouldn't be fun to have a 30-year career as a waiter, but apparently he had worked himself into a position where it was a very good living.

I have a friend in Chicago who moved downtown because he got this job at this really super high class restaurant. He said waiting tables there was a really fast-paced job, but he was making ridiculous money. Then they made him a manager and his salary went down. LMAO

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:38 PM
lol

I'm pretty sure that's the first site that went up

DAMMIT!

J Diddy
01-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I wonder if you have to work your way up like in baseball. Fresh out of high school you are a young eager rookie chasing a dream, working at the cheap little IHOP I sometimes eat at. Do well, show the world that you have potential, put up good numbers and you may get called up to AA where you wait tables at Applebee's. A blessed few of them are able to break into the $40-$50 restaurants, a little more money but still not rich.

Then you have the rare stars of the profession that make the serious money. The ones who no longer have to care about tips, because they have proven themselves and worked their way into the show. Restaurants where they wear nice clothes and serve tiny portions of food at laughable prices in places that play fancy music in the background.

I can see it now....

With the first pick in the National Restaurant Association draft

Dennys selects, Mary Lou Bigtips, server

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:45 PM

I'll bet it's exactly like that. In fact, I've heard that the hairdressing business is like that. The rookies are working at Great Clips and Supercuts, and then they work themselves up the farm system.

At one point when I had hair, my wife told me that I should eschew Great Clips and go to this high-end place that she was going to. I was talking to the hairdresser lady, and she basically said that a lot (not all, but a lot) of times, you more or less get the same haircut at Great Clips that you'll get at the high-end places. However, at the high-end places they spend a lot more time with you and do everything slower. The bottom line is that the haircut may have a few more strays in it at Great Clips, but it's not a huge difference.

However, on the other side of the equation, I can often identify really, really good haircuts on women, which tells me that there are probably some superstar haircutters out there who are really a cut above the rank and file. I can't tell you what the difference is, but the top 1 percent of women's haircuts are easily identifiable to me as elite. Men? No difference at all. A man's haircut is a man's haircut.

I wonder, though, too, if that one percent of women are just the ones who had their hair styled an hour before I saw them. Fresh haircuts always look better. Eh, who knows.

cdcox
01-26-2008, 10:51 PM

I don't think it's that way at all. Entry level to the waitressing gig is the mid-range resturaunt. Within that range, waitresses are sorted by their attractiveness. Young ladies of ordinary attractiveness start at Olive Garden or Applebees. More attractive girls get jobs at the Bone Fish Grill or Bravo. The hottest girls at individual resturants are the hostesses.

At the upper end places, food knowledge kicks in. You have to be able to pronounce all those foriegn words, be able to answer questions with knowledge, recommend complementary wines, and if you want to impress, take the order without writing it down. You have to pay attention to the timing of placing the various parts of the order with the kitchen so the diner does not feel rushed. So you tend to get a little older wait person and attractiveness doesn't correlate as well with the bill.

The IHOPs and Denny's and Waffle House gets you the career waitress. Narry a young, middle-class, college-age girl to be found.

Rain Man
01-26-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't think it's that way at all. Entry level to the waitressing gig is the mid-range resturaunt. Within that range, waitresses are sorted by their attractiveness. Young ladies of ordinary attractiveness start at Olive Garden or Applebees. More attractive girls get jobs at the Bone Fish Grill or Bravo. The hottest girls at individual resturants are the hostesses.

At the upper end places, food knowledge kicks in. You have to be able to pronounce all those foriegn words, be able to answer questions with knowledge, recommend complementary wines, and if you want to impress, take the order without writing it down. You have to pay attention to the timing of placing the various parts of the order with the kitchen so the diner does not feel rushed. So you tend to get a little older wait person and attractiveness doesn't correlate as well with the bill.

The IHOPs and Denny's and Waffle House gets you the career waitress. Narry a young, middle-class, college-age girl to be found.

You have an excellent point about the hostess. That's definitely driven by attractiveness at most restaurants.

However, while the chains do indeed get the young women, I bet that most of those young women just aren't in it for the long haul. They may have good range in the outfield or a decent split-fingered fastball, but they drop out of the league before they get called up to the big leagues.

I'll bet the IHOP and Denny's women, in turn, are like the Rickey Hendersons of the restaurant world. They're the ones who don't know when to hang 'em up so they keep hanging on and signing with lower and lower level teams until at some point they're in the Waffle House dropping cigarette ashes on the pancakes.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
You have an excellent point about the hostess. That's definitely driven by attractiveness at most restaurants.

However, while the chains do indeed get the young women, I bet that most of those young women just aren't in it for the long haul. They may have good range in the outfield or a decent split-fingered fastball, but they drop out of the league before they get called up to the big leagues.

I'll bet the IHOP and Denny's women, in turn, are like the Rickey Hendersons of the restaurant world. They're the ones who don't know when to hang 'em up so they keep hanging on and signing with lower and lower level teams until at some point they're in the Waffle House dropping cigarette ashes on the pancakes.
Anybody watch Hell's Kitchen last season? There was a Waffle House chick that made it to the final three or four... Ramsay supposedly sent the girl to culinary school he was so impressed with her.

keg in kc
01-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I really don't watch a lot of movies, and can't actually remember the last movie I went to see at the theater.My guess would be Nosferatu. Or maybe The Jazz Singer.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
My guess would be Nosferatu. Or maybe The Jazz Singer.
I saw Nosferatu in the theater with a live score.

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I saw Nosferatu in the theater with a live score.

Did you transcend time and consciousness to a new plane of existence?

RJ
01-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Ever eat in the Steak & Egg Kitchens? Man, those old waitresses are tough. They cook the food, serve the food, bus the tables and handle the drunks. Every one I've met that worked the late shift was strong as an ox and cussed like a sailor. Gotta love that. My favorite was a woman named Mabel in the town of Paducah, ky. She liked to slow dance with the drunks when she could find the time. Another was Fern, I knew her in Baltimore. She excelled in disposing of drunken troublemakers. "Give him the heave-ho, Fern!", me and my drunken friends would holler as she tossed out the customers drunker than us.

God bless those women, what would 2:00 AM be without them?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Did you transcend time and consciousness to a new plane of existence?
I had the distinct pleasure of catching a special engagement where both Nosferatu and Metropolis were being shown in a double feature on a 50-foot screen with a live orchestra.

Tickets were like $40 and it remains one of the best experiences in cinema I've ever had. Easily 2 of my top 5 experiences ever.

Simply Red
01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
I tip just over twenty percent usually.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:16 PM
I tip just over twenty percent usually.
Oh, man! SR... you gotta check out my recipe earlier in this thread!

cdcox
01-26-2008, 11:17 PM
I had a conference in NYC a few years back and took the family. One night we ate an upper-end restaurant where the 3 of us ran up a $400 bill.

We had a waiter that was definitely a career guy, probably in his mid-40's to early 50's. He definitely knew his trade. But then there was the moment where he raised his game to another level, when I asked him where the restroom was. He silently motioned me to follow him. He led me to the rail of the balcony where we were seated. He clasped his hands behind his back and took a deep breath and for maybe a couple of seconds we surveyed the lower level of the restaurant. I felt like we were peering down over a stable of thoroughbreds. Then with broad motions, he gave me very clear directions to the men's room.

For those 5 seconds, I felt like I belonged to a different social class. I still remember that moment 5 years later. Someone who can pull that off has definitely risen to the HOF of waitpersons.

Simply Red
01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm now experimenting...

1 c. hulled barley
2 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. grape preserves
1 c. KC Masterpiece
1/4 c. honey
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. liquid smoke

:grr:

cdcox
01-26-2008, 11:22 PM

LMAO

Hammock Parties
01-26-2008, 11:23 PM
What sort of flavor does the grape jam add?

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Grape.

But it's the liquid smoke that pulls it all together.

cdcox
01-26-2008, 11:26 PM

It's preserves.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:27 PM
It's preserves.
I have been laughing so hard since SR's :grr: that I'm crying... oh, jesus, that was hilarious.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:28 PM
God, SR, if I could give you more rep I would.

Fire Me Boy!
01-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Awwww.... come on, SR. You know we wouldn't do it if we didn't like you.

KcMizzou
01-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Ever eat in the Steak & Egg Kitchens? Man, those old waitresses are tough. They cook the food, serve the food, bus the tables and handle the drunks. Every one I've met that worked the late shift was strong as an ox and cussed like a sailor. Gotta love that. My favorite was a woman named Mabel in the town of Paducah, ky. She liked to slow dance with the drunks when she could find the time. Another was Fern, I knew her in Baltimore. She excelled in disposing of drunken troublemakers. "Give him the heave-ho, Fern!", me and my drunken friends would holler as she tossed out the customers drunker than us.

God bless those women, what would 2:00 AM be without them?Heh. I bet the food was great too.

Was there one named Flo?

RJ
01-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Grape.

But it's the liquid smoke that pulls it all together.

I suggest you use that liberally.

RJ
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Heh. I bet the food was great too.

Was there one named Flo?

No Flo, but the food was great in every Steak & Egg I visited. Nothing fancy. Eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc. and those old lady waitresses did every job in the place. Also, I believe Johnny Cash and Conway Twitty are juke box requirements, along with "Pop a Top".

|Zach|
01-27-2008, 01:07 AM
I generally tip too much. Karma.

Wa-Z
01-27-2008, 01:11 AM
This thread is funny...I'm a server.

ClevelandBronco
01-27-2008, 01:12 AM
If she calls me "hon" when she takes my order she gets 25% out of the block.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 01:15 AM
ya, it was time to find a new job for sure. i wrote that after a particularly long and stressful night. food service kind of got me my job now. that i love by the way. i had worked for a small local company before on the service side of things, well the people that run the company were customers, and a job opened up. i happened to provide excellent service, and they offered me a job. still work there.

I could never do that job for a career, but it was fun for a while.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 01:19 AM
There are also a LOT of people that do a LOT more and get paid less.

I agree. Servers don't work hard at all. I mean, sure, for a couple of hours a night it gets pretty hairy. Overall though, in my experience, it was a lot of bullshitting, and smoking. I guess in my OP I was trying to rationalize being paid so well for doing so little.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm glad you're an expert

FYI, all drivers at my stores get mileage per run--$1, they make minimum wage plus report ALL TIPS

They average from $11-$20 per hour

Sorry if I got your panties twisted, I've known quite a few people that did it as their normal job, or as a 2nd job, and they didn't make shit at it. Doesn't make me an expert, just gives me some insight.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 01:27 AM
No Flo, but the food was great in every Steak & Egg I visited. Nothing fancy. Eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc. and those old lady waitresses did every job in the place. Also, I believe Johnny Cash and Conway Twitty are juke box requirements, along with "Pop a Top".

My wife and I dined frequently in NC at a place called the Knife and Fork, and the Waffle House. Same shit. They do it all, and it's pretty good cheap, greasy food.

ClevelandBronco
01-27-2008, 01:28 AM
I could never do that job for a career, but it was fun for a while.

BTW: I got some feedback from you recently that referred back to a post in which I was calling someone "numbnuts." (It was the later Kirstie thread.) It wasn't an angry feedback from you, but I think you misunderstood something.

I wasn't targeting you with that post. It was directed at GOATSE. I wasn't making a play on the flopnuts name, but I can see how you may have thought so. You posted in between his and my posts.

"Numbnuts" in my post wasn't you. It was directed at him.

In that post, he was just being a numbnuts.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 01:42 AM
BTW: I got some feedback from you recently that referred back to a post in which I was calling someone "numbnuts." (It was the later Kirstie thread.) It wasn't an angry feedback from you, but I think you misunderstood something.

I wasn't targeting you with that post. It was directed at GOATSE. I wasn't making a play on the flopnuts name, but I can see how you may have thought so. You posted in between his and my posts.

"Numbnuts" in my post wasn't you. It was directed at him.

In that post, he was just being a numbnuts.

Naw, I was responding to the fisting post I made. You repped me Dude! and I was just saying I had very loose boundries on the web. I'd never do it IRL, but on the web, almost anything goes. I draw a line with the obvious things, like kids, jobs, etc. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

ClevelandBronco
01-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Naw, I was responding to the fisting post I made. You repped me Dude! and I was just saying I had very loose boundries on the web. I'd never do it IRL, but on the web, almost anything goes. I draw a line with the obvious things, like kids, jobs, etc. Otherwise, it's all fair game.

I misunderstood, then. May God Himself protect you, your family and your ability to provide for them.

On the other hand, I hope your team continues its embarrassing performance for years into the future.

I'm a big Carl fan.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 01:49 AM
I misunderstood, then. May God Himself protect you, your family and your ability to provide for them.

On the other hand, I hope your team continues its embarrassing performance for years into the future.

I'm a big Carl fan.

I'm starting to become a pretty big Mike Shanahan fan myself.

ClevelandBronco
01-27-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm starting to become a pretty big Mike Shanahan fan myself.

Many folks in Denver wouldn't share your POV.

I think our team has been in deep doo-doo since Kubiak left.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Many folks in Denver wouldn't share your POV.

I think our team has been in deep doo-doo since Kubiak left.

Yeah, neither of our football teams look to be in good shape right now. Particularly internally. Front offices suddenly look weak to me.

stumppy
01-27-2008, 02:12 AM
I tried leaving a tip at an oriental massage parlor one time but they said I had to have money ? Go figure.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-27-2008, 02:27 AM
I tried leaving a tip at an oriental massage parlor one time but they said I had to have money ? Go figure.

"You like ice cream? You want 1 scoop or 2?"

stumppy
01-27-2008, 04:00 AM
"You like ice cream? You want 1 scoop or 2?"

I think I'll just stick with the wax job.

Groves
01-27-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm not a fan of the places where your tip gets simply thrown into a pot and split amongst the servers. I don't mind if a server has to take care of the bartender or others, but if they do a great job, I want them to get a great tip. Seems pretty unmotivating, otherwise.

Bwana
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
For me, a tip is not a given. I tip from zero to up to 50% depending on the service. If the service is completely piss poor, I won't leave a penny. If it's outstanding, I'll leave up to 50%. Most of the time it falls some place in between.

Consistent1
01-27-2008, 09:33 AM

I wanted to at least finish this thread before I responded to your posts, but you won't let me. The first stupid thing you said was that servers make as much as an entry level engineer. Wrong, because if you do happen to make $50 one hour, you usually make $10 the hour before, or after, many times ZERO. Sometimes you watch people sit for 45 minutes, and do sidework. There are only so many hours for dinner. Then you tip out a percentage of it, get screwed by a few people (which you still pay a percentage of the total) Lots of people sit forever, and screw it up. The hourly amount means jack over the long haul, because you CANNOT always do it, and certainly cannot do it for 8 hours daily. Lunch? Usually people get stuck in that position, or cannot work other hours. The worst thing that happens to servers from within are the idiots that blow up the amounts "they make" to sound good. I have seen people brag about what they make, but they are also always broke because they are liars. People do make money, but they have usually worked at a nice place for years to get to that point. A newer server gets stuck on lunches, and in an early cut positon, and might make $6-10 for two hours work on top of that super paycheck they get. Even if they make that on both hours, they still have to screw around doing shit for another hour before, or after the shift. Then they tip out a percentange, regardless of what they made. If they get two tables, they still have to get cut, and do sidework. Bad days do happen, especially at chain places where they run a lot of servers at all times. You can very easily get shafted. There isn't any way to easily explain all this, but you sound like a jack-ass. Many could go on and on about the reality, just don't be cheap. If a $25 check means at least a $5 tip, will it kill you? If the answer is yes, save the $25 in the f****** first place and build off of that. people do make money, but it isn't easy.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
If a $25 check means at least a $5 tip, will it kill you? If the answer is yes, save the $25 in the f****** first place and build off of that. people do make money, but it isn't easy.
I'm not cheap, by any means, but leaving a 25 percent tip "just because" is ridiculous. **** that.

If you don't think you're paid fairly, get a new job. It goes both ways, man.

Bwana
01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
I wanted to at least finish this thread before I responded to your posts, but you won't let me. The first stupid thing you said was that servers make as much as an entry level engineer. Wrong, because if you do happen to make $50 one hour, you usually make $10 the hour before, or after, many times ZERO. Sometimes you watch people sit for 45 minutes, and do sidework. There are only so many hours for dinner. Then you tip out a percentage of it, get screwed by a few people (which you still pay a percentage of the total) Lots of people sit forever, and screw it up. The hourly amount means jack over the long haul, because you CANNOT always do it, and certainly cannot do it for 8 hours daily. Lunch? Usually people get stuck in that position, or cannot work other hours. The worst thing that happens to servers from within are the idiots that blow up the amounts "they make" to sound good. I have seen people brag about what they make, but they are also always broke because they are liars. People do make money, but they have usually worked at a nice place for years to get to that point. A newer server gets stuck on lunches, and in an early cut positon, and might make $6-10 for two hours work on top of that super paycheck they get. Even if they make that on both hours, they still have to screw around doing shit for another hour before, or after the shift. Then they tip out a percentange, regardless of what they made. If they get two tables, they still have to get cut, and do sidework. Bad days do happen, especially at chain places where they run a lot of servers at all times. You can very easily get shafted. There isn't any way to easily explain all this, but you sound like a jack-ass. Many could go on and on about the reality, just don't be cheap. If a $25 check means at least a $5 tip, will it kill you? If the answer is yes, save the $25 in the f****** first place and build off of that. people do make money, but it isn't easy.

LMAO

Not a bad rant.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2008, 09:40 AM
So, a question about the delivery guys.

What do you do when an establishment charges for delivery? Do you adjust your tip to compensate for the charge, or does it affect you at all?

I've been known to ask if the charge goes to the company or the driver and determine my tip based on their response.

Consistent1
01-27-2008, 09:46 AM

I am just going to give up on ever getting to read all his thread thanks to you. Lmao...Let's say that you never miss a day of work as a server for like two years. Then, your kid gets sick, and you cannot make it. You call in. Do they mark you down for a paid sick day? No, they give you a list of numbers to call to get your own damn replacement. Insurance? It is a better bet to save as much as you can, and take your chances. The plans they have make you pay a ton, and that is if they even have it. I am not saying to cry for servers, just don't insist on questioning tipping. Yes, some higher end spots have servers that make money, but it is all just like other jobs. There is bad for every good.

kstater
01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
So, a question about the delivery guys.

What do you do when an establishment charges for delivery? Do you adjust your tip to compensate for the charge, or does it affect you at all?

I've been known to ask if the charge goes to the company or the driver and determine my tip based on their response.

When I worked a delivery job in College, the establishment charged 1.25 and I got a $1 of it. I personally don't factor that into the tip. I consider that $1 as the expense of gas and usage of the vehicle. I usually tip 15% on top of that for pizza.
As for the thread, in resteraunts I tip between 10-25%. 10 being not so good service and 25 being excellent service or large group. On RARE occasions I have left no tip. No tip is because of horrible service without extenuating circumstances, if a place is busy I can understand somewhat slow service.

kcfanXIII
01-27-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm not cheap, by any means, but leaving a 25 percent tip "just because" is ridiculous. **** that.

If you don't think you're paid fairly, get a new job. It goes both ways, man.

not starting our argument again, but 5 bucks on a 25 dollar tab is 20%, and is generally accepted as an average tip now days.

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2008, 12:05 PM
not starting our argument again, but 5 bucks on a 25 dollar tab is 20%, and is generally accepted as an average tip now days.
Heh. Bad math. Sorry.

kcfanXIII
01-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Heh. Bad math. Sorry.
ROFL first glance it said "bad meth"

BTW, FMB check your PM

Fire Me Boy!
01-27-2008, 12:14 PM
ROFL first glance it said "bad meth"

BTW, FMB check your PM
Bad meth might explain more, but it's not the case.

I got the PM. All good!

blueballs
01-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Drive up window
-next question

kcfanXIII
01-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Drive up window
-next question

seems simple enough if you don't want to tip.

RNR
01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
20% is the norm for me, if the waitress or waiter is busting their ass I will up the tip. The other day a bunch of us from work went out to lunch and the waiter comes up and takes our drink order it was a little bit funny because he was a real nancy boy kind of like the sissy guy of the sitcom Will and Grace. Anyway he takes the order and does not write anything down, now there was at least 12 of us. He prances off and there is a handful of chuckles and a few comments of the rude nature. This guy returns and gets every drink right! he did the same thing with the food orders! I was amazed! he was right there for refills and is the best waiter I have ever seen! My bill was a little over 12 bucks I left him 20 dollars. I know all of us tipped him well, and it may not be right but a guy like him getting a bunch of good ole boys to over tip is saying something.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:36 PM

So do you make as much as an entry-level engineer? I can't quite tell.

kstater
01-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I believe Consistent1 is about to be schooled in the artist that is known as RainMan.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I am just going to give up on ever getting to read all his thread thanks to you. Lmao...Let's say that you never miss a day of work as a server for like two years. Then, your kid gets sick, and you cannot make it. You call in. Do they mark you down for a paid sick day? No, they give you a list of numbers to call to get your own damn replacement. Insurance? It is a better bet to save as much as you can, and take your chances. The plans they have make you pay a ton, and that is if they even have it. I am not saying to cry for servers, just don't insist on questioning tipping. Yes, some higher end spots have servers that make money, but it is all just like other jobs. There is bad for every good.

Oh, great. So now my health insurance premiums are having to cover the cost of all those uninsured waitpersons going to the emergency room? Maybe we should just go back to the 1950s restaurants where you walked down a big line of vending machines.

Skip Towne
01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I believe Consistent1 is about to be schooled in the artist that is known as RainMan.
It's a good thing Rainman isn't mean.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Here we go. Now THIS is a restaurant. No wait staff here looking hungrily at your wallet.

http://urbandaddy.com/contentpictures/bamnpic.jpg

kstater
01-27-2008, 06:43 PM
It's a good thing Rainman isn't mean.

That's what I meant. He's going to pick him apart while smiling at him.

01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
The best service is service you don't even notice has happened. If I am getting everything I need throughout the meal and I hardly notice the waiter/ress, they tend to get a bigger tip from me.

I don't go out to eat to be constantly asked how "everything is". That drives me nuts.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Look at all of these people happily enjoying meals without wait staff.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
The best service is service you don't even notice has happened. If I am getting everything I need throughout the meal and I hardly notice the waiter/ress, they tend to get a bigger tip from me.

I don't go out to eat to be constantly asked how "everything is". That drives me nuts.

Yeah, seriously. Look at these two people. It's apparent that, by using a vending machine together, they have formed a bond and will undoubtedly be sharing coin slots together in the future. Do you think that would happen with a waiter coming over every 15 minutes to ask them how they're doing? Don't think so.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Vending machines can replace all sorts of human interactions effectively. Want to buy a goldfish? Just use a goldfish vending machine. Let's see a human waiter do that.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 06:57 PM
But, you may say, what if I don't want goldfish? What if I want lobster? Well, just step to the right.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Now, can we really replace waitpersons this easily? I think so. After all, parts of the world have already replaced them.

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/10/22/camo-coke.jpg

But I recognize that society is slow to change. Maybe for a few years we can hybridize the process so people can adjust. However, in this case I don't think that tips should be more than about ten percent.

http://family.go.com/images/upload/contest/halloween-costume/nutzaboutmnmz836659534947.jpg

|Zach|
01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Via WaiterRant.net

It’s a slow Monday night and I snag my first table. Seated is a hirsute middle aged man projecting an air of superiority that makes me want to pull out my pepper mill and club him over the head like a baby seal.

Hirsute says a shade too politely, “And how are you today young man?”

“I’m fine sir and how are you?” I reply. I look at his wife. She sports a blank expression.

Nodding his head solemnly he says. “What a shame you are working on such a slow night. You can’t really be making much money. That’s got to be tough for you.” There’s a faux therapeutic quality to his speech.

In a flash I have this guy’s number. Having spent years in analysis he’s adopted the “I see all and know all” mannerisms of his shrink because he desperately lacks a personality of his own. Therapy junkies are bad customers. They therapize every situation and try and use what they learn on the couch to manipulate the people around them. Pointing out our age difference and remarking on the night’s economics is his way of establishing dominance.

Surprise asshole – I was in analysis too. Luckily my therapist wasn’t the “suck Woody Allen dry” variety that infests Manhattan. Marty was one of the good guys and he taught me all the tricks.

“The night is what it is sir,” I reply keeping my face neutral. I give him no room to maneuver.

Realizing his domination attempt’s been blunted he tries a different approach. Pointing to the wine menu he asks, “What kind of grape is in the Barolo?”

“Nebbiolo sir.”

“Yes but it’s a blend of grapes. Can you name the others?”

It’s a trick question. “Barolo is made only from Nebbiolo grapes sir.”

“Are you sure?” he asks.

“Well I’m a beer guy but I’m sure about the Barolo,” I reply smiling. Humor is another neutralizing tactic.

“I think you’re wrong.” he ripostes.

“Well that’s where we’re at,” I reply simply

Hirsute looks confused. He is supposed to be controlling the situation with whatever crap he learned through years of navel gazing on the couch. I’m not getting flustered or angry – just shutting his bullshit down with some verbal jujitsu.

“Well I’ll have a beer in any case,” he says. What a surprise. He probably can’t afford Barolo after his therapist’s through billing him.

“But of course sir.”

I take their orders. They devour the appetizers and I bring out the entrees. Sesame encrusted yellowfin tuna in a sweet balsamic reduction sauce. Yummy.

“Waiter this tuna is cold,” Hirsute crows happily. Finally he thinks he has some leverage.

“Freezing,” his wife chimes in.

They ordered it rare.

Smiling painfully I say no problem and take the entrées back to the kitchen.

After the chef gets over his disbelief he reheats and plates the entrées.

“You didn’t microwave this did you?” Hirsute inquires when I return.

“We don’t have a microwave sir,” I lie.

He fixes me with a patronizing smile. I give him the thousand yard waiter stare. He blinks first.

They finish their entrées and order two cognacs. When I deliver the drinks to the table Hirsute tries doing a little therapy on me.

“Aren’t you angry that the night is so slow?”

“Can’t be angry over the weather sir.”

“But it must really eat at you,” he presses.

“Sir we’re not here to talk about me,” I say mocking his Freudian accent, “You’re here so you can enjoy dinner with your lovely wife.”

“But I’m interested in what you have to say.”

No Sigmund, I’m not interested in being on your couch.

“Concentrate on your own happiness tonight sir,” I say politely. “Enjoy your brandy.” I turn and walk away.

That’s what the therapists call a “bitch slap.”

The Bistro empties and most of the staff goes home. The owner swings by Hirsute’s table to ask how everything was. He complains that the tuna was cold. He wants another cognac on the house.

“Get it for them,” Fluvio growls.

Bringing the second round Hirsute smiles at me triumphantly saying, “Sorry we’re keeping you here all night.” More passive aggressive bullshit.

“That’s the job sir.” I say.

No answer

I eat dinner and complete my sidework. Fluvio and I sit and talk. We laugh. Hirsute looks annoyed. He thought I would be sitting glumly waiting for him to finish. Guess again.

Finally they ask for the check. Time to go home and count the navel lint.

“I was really disappointed about the tuna,” he says nodding his head while mouthing the remains of dinner out of his beard.

His wife nods in agreement. Whatever personality she once possessed was subsumed by years of living with a guy who thinks he’s everyone’s intellectual and emotional superior.

“I wish it were different sir,” I counter with another verbal jujitsu move. JUDO CHOP!

Hirsute looks up sharply and for the first time I see anger flash in his eyes. He thought he could manipulate me into giving him more free stuff. He probably gets over on a lot of people like that. No such luck.

“Feel the rage pal,” I think to myself.

They were my first table. They were my last table. On a bill of $124.95 they leave me a $12 tip.

I watch them walk away. The fail to answer when I say goodnight. Not very emotionally enlightened of them. I notice the guy’s wearing Birkenstocks with socks. It’s like five degrees out. What an idiot.

I got a bad tip and stayed late so you might think Hirsute won. Not really. Therapy junkies don’t like it when someone calls them on their shit. It screws with their view of reality causing an unpleasant dissonance. Hirsute will never come back to the Bistro.

Good riddance. Part of being a good waiter is knowing what customers you don’t want in your establishment.

And my diagnosis of Hirsute?

Severe chronic assholisim. Probably terminal.

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 07:06 PM
In Japan, a nation widely believed to be on the cutting edge of eliminating waitpersons, some waitpersons have ironically had to find jobs as vending machines.

plbrdude
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
In Japan, a nation widely believed to be on the cutting edge of eliminating waitpersons, some waitpersons have ironically had to find jobs as vending machines.

now i understand why the coke machine in the one pic was wearing shoes

Rain Man
01-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Here is what is allegedly the world's largest vending machine. No need for tips here.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OKkoJ735hY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OKkoJ735hY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hammock Parties
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't see a problem with leaving $12 on a $125 bill for two people. Just because the food is more expensive doesn't mean you should be obligated to tip more.

However, as much shit as that guy put the dude through, he should have tipped more for that.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
LMAO

True.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I've worked in a restaurant in Normal, IL where EVERYONE tips between 15% and 25%...

And I've worked in a restaurant in Chicago, IL where 90% of all black people (and this isn't me being racist) don't tip no matter how great their service was (the other 10% make up for them by grossly overtipping)...

I'm an excellent server, as gay as that might sound, and I make great money doing it (for being a college kid), I'm one of the few that doesn't care about getting stiffed by 'trash' because they probably need the money much more than I do...

Do I like not being tipped? Of course not. But I don't let it ruin my night like a lot of people...I give every table the same service even though I am pretty much dead on 95% of the time on the tip I'm going to get as soon as the table sits down...but I could never intentionally give poor service because every once in a while a table of the ghettoest mother ****ers will lay down 25% and then I'd just feel bad...

But serving tables for three years has been a GREAT life experience...you learn so much about people...I think waiting tables is really going to help me down the line when I get a real job.

(Plus you get a lot of hostesses/waitresses, if you know what I mean...)

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:42 PM

I tip the following:

As a server, I totally, 100% agree. After three years of doing this shit, I've gotten to be pretty friggin' amazing at it (and trust me, I'm not bragging...I'm a ****ing waiter for god's sake)...

I'm guilty, I claim 10% of my total sales (bare minimum) but usually pull in between 18-21% on average and my sales are always through the roof (especially when I worked in Chicago) because I typically handle 2 sections (10-12 tables) because I'm dependable and don't f*ck things up (there are a lot of dumb, dumb, dumb servers out there)...

In Chicago, (I kept a tip log), including hourly ($4.50) I'd make between $30 and $45 an hour (always busy)...which is WAY more than what I should have been making because once you get it down, it's so repetitive and simple it isn't even funny...and people always tipped me well because I don't f*ck anything up. Ever.

In Normal (smaller town, less business) I make between $20 and $30 an hour and literally am never, ever stressed out...easiest job in the world. Never even break a sweat. I know the menu in and out, I know the contents of every drink, exactly how long everything takes to make (times differ based on how busy we are) and space appetizers/salads/soups/entrees out perfectly every time...

It's the easiest job in the world, the only job requirement is common sense (which most people in the industry don't have) which is why a lot of you have awful experiences.

Either way, I make insane money for the work I'm doing...it doesn't even make any sense, really. I totally agree with everyone that hates leaving $15 on a $75 dollar check, because I guarantee I don't do $15 of work, but how can you not leave 20% (the norm) when you receive perfect service?

Personally, I tip all servers between 20-30% (I'm overly generous mostly because I like being considered a good tipper)...and probably 20% on all delivery orders just because, when I reach to get the money that I owe, what is an extra friggin' dollar anyways? They are driving a friggin' pizza delivery truck for god's sake.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Not me...

I don't complain about any table I ever get...I personally can't STAND listening to everyone that I work with bitch and bitch and bitch when the majority of them are awful servers.

Like I said, I give great service, and generally, I get great tips. When I don't, oh well...I move on. I've had some PHENOMENAL nights and some awful nights, it all evens out...every good server I know (and I know a few) make excellent money.

So if you're a server and you make shitty tips, then you probably aren't as good as you think you are =)

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
This really depends.

If I worked 40 hours a week (I didn't) in Chicago (high volume store) I'd make around $60,000. Which is absurd, way too much IMO.

BUT, there are a ton of factors...

Let's assume the person was a good server, worked 40 hours a week, handled a 5 table section, and each head was $20...in a store that averaged $10,000 in sales every day (modest)...

40 hours = 4 prime time shifts (Friday, Saturday, Sunday morning - one double mixed in there) + 4 other shifts...

15% tips mean probably about $120 in tips for the prime time shifts and $75 for the other shifts...in Illinois $4.50 an hour X 40 hours...

$780 in cash tips + $180 in hourly wage = $960 a week X 52 = $49,920 without deducting taxes.

I'd say that's about the norm for a good server working in a medium volume store.

Of course, find a good restaurant with a high volume and I'm sure the best of the best can easily make 6 figures plus.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:52 PM
It is also tough to get 40 hours a week working at a restaurant as a server, I forgot to mention that...

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
the problem with most $25 entree restaurants is servers only get 3 table sections...which means it turns into a $12 entree restaurant that allows you to have 6 table sections...

3 table sections are ridiculous and boring...I would never work at a restaurant that only allowed their servers 3 table sections. Pointless.

Technically, if you and your party decides to lounge at a table after they have paid, they should be adding $3 every 30 minutes they are taking the table...but no one does that, but that's "proper" tip etiquette...or whatever that means.

I don't ever expect it, but some people actually do it.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:57 PM

dude, you're right on...

The cooks where I work are RIDICULOUS...they are absolutely amazing at their jobs...and make far less than I make...and do MUCH more work.

Shit, the friggin' busboy does more work than I do...serving is so easy and these whiny bitches take it for granted...I love working 4 hours on a Friday night and walking out with $150 in tips...it's sick.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Really, 4 or 5 tables? That's hard to believe. Most high scale restaurants are SO CONCERNED about service they mostly give 2 table sections. No joke. Show me this job where you get 5 tables and each head is $75...those servers are making ridiculous money (though I'm sure they are very skilled...it does take SOME talent to be a good waiter, believe it or not.)

Hootie
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
I have a friend in Chicago who moved downtown because he got this job at this really super high class restaurant. He said waiting tables there was a really fast-paced job, but he was making ridiculous money. Then they made him a manager and his salary went down. LMAO
Yep, same thing with the restaurant where I worked in Chicago. Servers made more money than the managers, and it wasn't really even that close.

Hootie
01-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Yep. It took a little practice, but now I never write anything down 10 heads or less. It has nothing to do with showing off, you'd be amazed how much time it saves. When you get double or triple sat and can get all three orders within a minute of each other, you can turn tables so much faster, and keep getting more tables during the rush, and keep making more money.

Simply Red
01-27-2008, 09:06 PM
dude, you're right on...

The cooks where I work are RIDICULOUS...they are absolutely amazing at their jobs...and make far less than I make...and do MUCH more work.

Shit, the friggin' busboy does more work than I do...serving is so easy and these whiny bitches take it for granted...I love working 4 hours on a Friday night and walking out with $150 in tips...it's sick.

Do your side work bitch! LMAO