PDA

View Full Version : WHITLOCK:Beasley is good enough to end KU's streak.

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
According to Big sexy. Win on lose this is going to be a hell of a fun game to watch. I have no idea what will happen, but I think all of Kansas basketball has been waiting for this.

Beasley is good enough to bring KU’s run to an end.

MANHATTAN, Kan. | Michael Beasley is ready for the Jayhawks. The nation’s top player, Kansas State’s basketball messiah and mercenary, warmed up for Wednesday night’s showdown by torturing the Iowa State Cyclones.

Scoring 33 points in just 22 minutes, Michael was Beastley in K-State’s 82-57 rout Saturday night at Bramlage Coliseum.

He’ll need to be Beastley again in a few days when second-ranked Kansas brings its all-star lineup, undefeated record and 24-game Manhattan winning streak to town.

He might even need to be a little bit better; if that is possible. I’m not sure it is.

A notorious slow starter, Beasley opened Saturday’s game as though he wanted to offer the Jayhawks a warning: Beware of Beasley.

Barring a rash of fouls, Kansas is going to get 40 minutes of Beasley offensive aggression. On Saturday, he took six shots in the first three minutes, missing five. But he took six good shots. Coach Frank Martin pulled Beasley from the game for a brief stretch. I assume Martin wanted to settle his young star’s nerves. Mostly, it just delayed Beasley’s eventual onslaught.

When Beasley wants to dominate, he can’t be stopped or even slowed. You just have to weather it. Compared most often to Texas’ Kevin Durant, the one-and-done frosh from a year ago, Beasley is different from, more imposing and better than Durant.

Durant dominated with a feathery jump shot. That’s it. He had one dimension that couldn’t be contained, and that dimension did not elevate the play of his teammates. Beasley is strong, skilled and intelligent. He can kill you on the block, on the perimeter, with his unselfishness, with his selfishness, with his strength and his finesse. You couldn’t really see it Saturday, but what Beasley does improves the play of his teammates. He creates space, open shots and cutting lanes. He allows the Wildcats to pick up defensively farther on the perimeter. They can play the passing lanes and slip out to start the break.

Obviously, the Cyclones lacked the depth, talent or experience to overcome a Beasley attack.

The freshman power forward scored 17 points in the first half. He tacked on an additional 16 in the first 9 minutes, 45 seconds of the second half, and then he took a seat on the Wildcat bench and watched his teammates finish the blowout.

Beasley connected from three-point range, scored on putbacks, sank mid-range jumpers and drove the lane. He hit 11 of his final 15 shots. Oh, he snatched 15 rebounds, too.

He did enough on Saturday to make me believe the Wildcats, 14-4, will give the Jayhawks a significant challenge on Wednesday. If Beasley hits the court Wednesday with the mindset he had Saturday, Darnell Jackson and Darrell Arthur will have long nights.

On the road, inside a rabid, hostile environment, I’m not sure the Jayhawks’ backcourt advantage produces a Kansas victory without major contributions from Jackson and Arthur.

Yeah, Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson and Brandon Rush should have their way with K-State’s guards. Chalmers and Robinson will turn over Clent Stewart and Blake Young. K-State’s reserve guards lack the necessary poise and experience for a big game.

But Beasley can make it all irrelevant. He’s that good. He could rain 40 on the Jayhawks, foul out Jackson and Arthur and finish the Hawks in the final two minutes with post moves and free-throw shooting.

Let me repeat: Beasley is no Kevin Durant. Remember a year ago when Durant dropped 37 on the Hawks and Texas still lost? Durant couldn’t miss. Everything he unspooled found the bottom of the nets.

Jump shots are like a good jab. They’ll keep you in the fight and your opponent off balance. Beasley doesn’t throw jabs. He throws haymakers. He’s George Foreman in his prime. He unloads windmills and uppercuts. When he bulls to the basket, he draws fouls and double-teams and, most important, he finishes.

If Beasley scores 35, Kansas loses.

Will Beasley score 35? After watching him for 22 minutes on Saturday, 50 points wouldn’t surprise me.

ROYC75
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Can it be done ? Sure, but like Durant last year, a monumental effort wasn't enough, Can Beasly top that ?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk !

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
We've never had a better chance, but I'm still not ready to make any guarantees like Mike. The one difference with Durant was he didn't have Bill Walker. Is that enough? Four days to find out :)

01-27-2008, 12:49 PM
They say this every year and every year they are wrong. So when they are finally right to they really deserve any credit for predicting it?

Skip Towne
01-27-2008, 12:54 PM
:ZZZ:

Demonpenz
01-27-2008, 12:56 PM
beasley isn't all that and a bag a chips. He is another derrick colman

jidar
01-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Sounds to me like Whitlock is comparing Beasely to last years Jayhawks. His thinking is Durant put up 40 on Kansas and Beasely is better so he should put up 50, but the fact is, believe it or not, Kansas is playing better than they were last year so that's not going to happen. I'm sure Beasely will get his 30, but it'll be en route to another KU win.

HemiEd
01-27-2008, 01:10 PM
:ZZZ:

You might want to wake up for this one.

doomy3
01-27-2008, 01:11 PM
We've never had a better chance, but I'm still not ready to make any guarantees like Mike. The one difference with Durant was he didn't have Bill Walker. Is that enough? Four days to find out :)

The supporting players for Texas were far better than KState's. Augustine ring a bell?

WilliamTheIrish
01-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Beaz is the man.

Braincase
01-27-2008, 01:15 PM
How can KU even stay on the same court as Basketball Jesus?

01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
KU has 4 big men to blow fouls on Beasley with. Beasley will not be the deciding factor here. Somebody will have to step up for KSU to beat KU.

WilliamTheIrish
01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Especially if Ed Hightower calls the game? I mean, he keeps KU from getting into the flow of the game./UDK

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
The supporting players for Texas were far better than KState's. Augustine ring a bell?I'll take Walker over Augistine any day. He's a great player don't get me wrong, but Walker's upside is off the Charts. When teams just let Durant do his thing and try to lock down everyone else Augistine couldn't be counted on for 30+. Walker has done that.

Oh Snap
01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
KU has 4 big men to blow fouls on Beasley with. Beasley will not be the deciding factor here. Somebody will have to step up for KSU to beat KU.
I dont see it happening for the simple fact that KUs advantage is their depth. No body in the country has the type of depth talent KU has. Teams just get tired out when playing kansas..

doomy3
01-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I'll take Walker over Augistine any day. He's a great player don't get me wrong, but Walker's upside is off the Charts. When teams just let Durant do his thing and try to lock down everyone else Augistine couldn't be counted on for 30+. Walker has done that.

You're crazy then. Augustine is a top 5 PG at the least. Walker isn't anywhere near a top 5 at his position.

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
You're crazy then. Augustine is a top 5 PG at the least. Walker isn't anywhere near a top 5 at his position.All I'm saying is Walker averages 5 pts less playing ten mintues less than Augustin. He also has 4 more boards per game. Look they are completely different types of players. Both very good. This is like comparing Beasley to Eric Gordon. They're both great but do very different things.

doomy3
01-27-2008, 02:12 PM
All I'm saying is Walker averages 5 pts less playing ten mintues less than Augustin. He also has 4 more boards per game. Look they are completely different types of players. Both very good. This is like comparing Beasley to Eric Gordon. They're both great but do very different things.

Fine. But to infer in an earlier post that the Longhorns didn't have anyone playing alongside Durant last year to command respect like Walker is a hilarious statement.

the Talking Can
01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Augustine is a much better player than Walker. Only a homer would argue that.

But Beasley is arguably the best player in college.

schneider221
01-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll take Walker over Augistine any day. He's a great player don't get me wrong, but Walker's upside is off the Charts. When teams just let Durant do his thing and try to lock down everyone else Augistine couldn't be counted on for 30+. Walker has done that.

walker has played way better lately but that is crazy talk. augustin is almost a lock for first team all american and is considered one of the top 2 or 3 points in college basketball. walker has been half side show half basketball player up until recently when he seems to have really stepped it up.

its amazing you would argue that because most people would say kstates biggest weakness is their gaurds. beasley + augustin would be a legit national title contender while beasley and walker are not even close to that yet.

BigVE
01-27-2008, 03:40 PM
The Beasley/Walker combination worries me more than the matchups against Durant and anyone else on Texas last year because if his size. KU's guards can pretty much handle anything any other guards have to offer but combine Beasley's inside and outside game with Walker who can do the same and it makes for a more difficult matchup for KU. My prediction: KU by 10! K-state still won't get it done.

POND_OF_RED
01-27-2008, 03:55 PM
KU has 4 big men to blow fouls on Beasley with.
Good strategy. Send the best free throw shooter on the team to the line more. The Hack-a-Shaq strategy only works when the big man can't shoot.

kstater
01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Good strategy. Send the best free throw shooter on the team to the line more. The Hack-a-Shaq strategy only works when the big man can't shoot.

LMAO

Yeah he only gets to the line like 9 or ten times a game. Makes 74% of them which is good but not great.

irishjayhawk
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Especially if Ed Hightower calls the game? I mean, he keeps KU from getting into the flow of the game./UDK

I wouldn't have a problem with Hightower if he called fouls that a) existed b) made sense c) were visible and d) didn't act like a complete and total tool while officiating.

Other than that, Hightower is awesome.

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
I concede I am looking at this through homer glasses. Overall I just feel Beasley/Walker is a much more dangerous match up than Augustin/Durant. Just my bias opinion. We'll just have to see how Walker continues to develop. Augustin is better right now as a PG. Walker in a 3-4 tweener with the ability to take over a game if ned be. Neither he nor Beasley has played even 30 minutes. Last night they where done with 10 mintues left. We'll see. I take nothing away from Augustin, but I'm not sure K-State would be a better team with him instead of Walker. There is plenty of season left for this to play out.

ROYC75
01-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Again, anything is possible, But give the edge to KU in both games.

It will take a great effort for the kittens to win inside their own litter box.

Skip Towne
01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
LMAO

Yeah he only gets to the line like 9 or ten times a game. Makes 74% of them which is good but not great.
He's 87 for 122 or 71%. Chalmers and Rush both shoot better.

kstater
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
He's 87 for 122 or 71%. Chalmers and Rush both shoot better.
Sorry, your stats are outdated. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36671
says he's 105/142 for 74%. But that's besides the point. I'm not saying he's a great FT shooter, but that the idea of using a lot of bench players and fouling him to get him to the line is a bad one. On top of that, a great deal of times that he is fouled he ends up making the shot, thus nullifying the purpose of fouling him.

Skip Towne
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry, your stats are outdated. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36671
says he's 105/142 for 74%. But that's besides the point. I'm not saying he's a great FT shooter, but that the idea of using a lot of bench players and fouling him to get him to the line is a bad one. On top of that, a great deal of times that he is fouled he ends up making the shot, thus nullifying the purpose of fouling him.
That's still less than 6 pts per game. Whack him!

kstater
01-27-2008, 04:53 PM
That's still less than 6 pts per game. Whack him!

But he's just a thug so he might pop a cap in Rush's ass.

Skip Towne
01-27-2008, 04:55 PM
I say we have Hightower frisk him for shanks.

kstater
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Rush might like that a little too much though.

CoMoChief
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
KSU has no one outside Walker and Beasley.

KU's defense wins this game. Beasley is held under 20 points. KU wins by 15+

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 05:27 PM
KSU has no one outside Walker and Beasley.

KU's defense wins this game. Beasley is held under 20 points. KU wins by 15+ :spock: I think this is Beasley's coming out party. He won't be pulled with 10 minutes left in the game. The only way he doesn't hang 30+ is if he's in foul trouble.

Braincase
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
I think KU has a better chance of shutting down two guys than KSU has of shutting down seven.

Silock
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I think KU has a better chance of shutting down two guys than KSU has of shutting down seven.

Totally agree. However, I do think that the Wildcats have a good shot at winning this game. I mean, the law of averages is going to catch up to KU eventually. Eventually, we're GOING to lose at Allen Fieldhouse West. Any time you have the best player in the country, you have a shot to win any game.

HC_Chief
01-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Seven? Try ten. :D :KU:

Walker + Beasley = best player combo KU will face this season. Should be a great test for the Jayhawks. This year is as good as any for KSU to finally break that streak (lol)

KevB
01-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Seven? Try ten. :D :KU:

Walker + Beasley = best player combo KU will face this season. Should be a great test for the Jayhawks. This year is as good as any for KSU to finally break that streak (lol)

10? Please, put in your second five and see how things turn out.

KevB
01-27-2008, 06:25 PM
beasley isn't all that and a bag a chips. He is another derrick colman

DC didn't come close to Beasley's averages his entire career at Syracuse, and it was a good career (18 and 12 his senior season). Just an uninformed statement.

KevB
01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
I dont see it happening for the simple fact that KUs advantage is their depth. No body in the country has the type of depth talent KU has. Teams just get tired out when playing kansas..

Memphis is deeper....

Silock
01-27-2008, 06:26 PM
10? Please, put in your second five and see how things turn out.

I'd still take my chances with Aldrich, Kaun, Collins, Case and Stewart.

WilliamTheIrish
01-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with Hightower if he called fouls that a) existed b) made sense c) were visible and d) didn't act like a complete and total tool while officiating.

Other than that, Hightower is awesome.

LMAO When did Hightower become the anti-Christ? He's been around for years, but because he shows a little flair, he's a complete tool.

I love it.

ROYC75
01-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Memphis is deeper....

Many people say this, I don't buy it. KU does have the best balance of any team and can go 10 deep easily.

I say it's a wash ............

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
I'd still take my chances with Aldrich, Kaun, Collins, Case and Stewart.Hah! Good luck with that. That is the stupidest comment in this entire thread. I can understand loving your team, but it's going to take the entire KU team (which IMO is the best in the nation) to beat K-State. Maybe you haven't watched the Cats over the last couple of weeks? Or maybe just stupid. Lets go with that. It makes more sense.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-27-2008, 07:16 PM

you're thinking of Colon

Ceej
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
KU and Memphis' depth is a wash. They're both deep.

It's okay KSU fans, we'll lose at AFHW next year with a ridiculously young team, maybe.

schneider221
01-27-2008, 07:18 PM
you are in no position to say that in a thread where you are choosing a tweener with potential who up until the last handful of games has been more then just a little inconsistent (yes i know injury and long recovery) over the top point guard in college basketball when your biggest weakness is the point guard position.

if you took kstates team and switched out walker for augustin you would have a better team, a better record, and people would consider you a threat going into the tourney. walker may have potential but augustin has just as much if not more to have a future in the nba.

Silock
01-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Hah! Good luck with that. That is the stupidest comment in this entire thread. I can understand loving your team, but it's going to take the entire KU team (which IMO is the best in the nation) to beat K-State. Maybe you haven't watched the Cats over the last couple of weeks? Or maybe just stupid. Lets go with that. It makes more sense.

Someone said "put them in" in the context of stopping 10 of KU's guys. I'd feel comfortable putting that lineup in the game for a few minutes to give everyone else some rest. What crawled up your ass, dude?

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Someone said "put them in" in the context of stopping 10 of KU's guys. I'd feel comfortable putting that lineup in the game for a few minutes to give everyone else some rest. What crawled up your ass, dude?Sorry it took that as play them as the starting five and could still beat K-State. My bad bro.

irishjayhawk
01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
LMAO When did Hightower become the anti-Christ? He's been around for years, but because he shows a little flair, he's a complete tool.

I love it.

If I had some video evidence, I'd show you. But since I didn't tape the game, I can't.

Some of his gestures weren't even foul calls and hell two of his calls were downright horrendous. But whatever.

teedubya
01-27-2008, 08:10 PM
10 to 1 says that since Beasley IS KSU's big man, essentially... KU should have Chalmers, Collins and Robinson slash and dash into the lane... Beasley will foul them... get 3 fouls with 8 minutes left in first half. It will be discouraging to KSU fans, but this is what should happen.

Hammock Parties
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I hate it when Whitlock writes about basketball.

Braincase
01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I hate it when Whitlock writes about basketball.

I hate it when you write on internet message boards.

DaWolf
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I hope we whip KSU but it's nice that the KSU program is in a position where this should be a real rivalry game. That program needs to get up to speed and stay there, for the good of the Big XII and Kansas...

Hammock Parties
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I hate it when you write on internet message boards.

I DO IT BECAUSE I LOVE YOU LIKE THIS:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4935/220362020kirk20spock20sgj9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Coach
01-27-2008, 09:10 PM

Speaking of thugs.....

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8851/brandonrushjailedt640wp4.jpg

GoHuge
01-27-2008, 09:12 PM
10 to 1 says that since Beasley IS KSU's big man, essentially... KU should have Chalmers, Collins and Robinson slash and dash into the lane... Beasley will foul them... get 3 fouls with 8 minutes left in first half. It will be discouraging to KSU fans, but this is what should happen.This is what has happened this year when the Cats have had problems. Beas picks up a couple of quick fouls and on the bench.

doomy3
01-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Speaking of thugs.....

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8851/brandonrushjailedt640wp4.jpg

Yeah, those speeding tickets.... I blame it on rap music.

teedubya
01-28-2008, 03:20 AM
This is what has happened this year when the Cats have had problems. Beas picks up a couple of quick fouls and on the bench.

Beastly is a helluva player, it should be very interesting. Im kinda hoping for #25 in a row, though. Break the streak next year guys...

kstater
01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Today's article explains pretty much how I feel about Martin and Wefald/Weiser:

All the pressures on K-State in Wednesdays Sunflower Showdown
By JASON WHITLOCK
There will be a lot on the line for coach Frank Martin and Bill Walker when Kansas State meets KU on Wednesday.
There will be a lot on the line for coach Frank Martin and Bill Walker when Kansas State meets KU on Wednesday.

The weird thing about Wednesday’s Sunflower basketball showdown is that absolutely all the pressure is on the underdog Kansas State Wildcats.

A Kansas loss means little. If the second-ranked Jayhawks fall in the polls, it won’t be very far, maybe to No. 3 or 4. They’ll remain on pace for an NCAA Tournament No. 1 seed, and stay the heavy favorite to win the Big 12 Conference. In terms of in-state bragging rights, the end of KU’s Manhattan winning streak won’t diminish the Jayhawks’ superiority or signal a turn in momentum.

Nope. Every bit of pressure resides in Manhattan. The whole campus will be on trial Wednesday night.

There are four ways to justify the Bob Huggins/Michael Beasley/Bill Walker, one-and-done experiment: 1. A home victory over the Jayhawks; 2. An NCAA Tournament run that reaches the Final Four; 3. Recruiting classes in 2008 and 2009 that allow the Wildcats to become a consistent postseason tourney team; 4. A miracle second season from Beasley.

OK, No. 4 ain’t happening. Beasley is a can’t-miss NBA prospect, the most NBA-ready college player since Carmelo Anthony. Beasley (and Walker) have seats reserved on the same midnight train that escorted Huggins to West Virginia after a year of carousing in Aggieville.

No. 3 is a long shot, unless the Cats plan on making it a habit of giving AAU coaches jobs and moving families to the Little Apple. I mean, seriously, is K-State really willing to do what Kansas does to remain elite?

No. 2 is a stretch, too. K-State’s guards are average, its coaching staff is unproven, and it was just one month ago that Xavier spayed and neutered the Wildcats by 26 points. The Cats are just as capable of getting run as making a run in the tournament.

So we’re left with Wednesday night, a predetermined one-night stand. Failure to perform will devastate K-State faithful and embarrass the men who hatched the plan to rent Huggins, Beasley and Walker.

Yeah, Jon Wefald and Tim Weiser will have tight cheeks on Wednesday. So will Frank Martin and Dalonte Hill, the primary benefactor$ of Huggins’ escape. Wefald and Weiser took a major risk resurrecting Huggins. That blew up. Wefald and Weiser doubled their risk promoting Martin and Hill just to satisfy two NBA exchange students for a few semesters. Rather than build a program, K-State bought a couple of scratch-off tickets. We’re about to see what’s in the first box.

Athletes are fond of saying that “pressure busts pipes.” Can the Cats handle the pressure?

We’re talking about a coaching staff and roster with no big-game experience. You know how I feel about Beasley. He could score 50 Wednesday night. He was made for the big show. This game is his best shot at claiming player of the year. He’s not getting Kevin Durant-like hype because he plays for Kansas State. That could all change Wednesday. If he takes down the Jayhawks with a remarkable performance, people will start buzzing.

What we don’t know is what Beasley’s supporting cast will do. Does Walker see Wednesday night as his opportunity to launch himself into the draft lottery by undressing preseason All-American Brandon Rush?

And you never know who else on K-State’s roster sees this game as the culmination or beginning of his Hoop Dream.

Frank Martin has quite a temper. Surely he’s tired of hearing about how he can’t coach and doesn’t deserve this job. He could melt. He could over-coach.

Meanwhile, this game is nothing to Bill Self and his players. Whenever they hit the road, they walk into an extremely hostile arena.

The conventional wisdom is that Kansas’ biggest advantage is its backcourt. No doubt Rush, Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson and Sherron Collins give KU a nice leg up. But experience will be KU’s best ally Wednesday night.

They’re going to embrace this challenge. They’re glad the Wildcats will take the court with players who can compete. It gets old hearing about a rivalry that doesn’t exist on the court. It’s a rare chance to play K-State in a game that matters.

The Jayhawks will be ready. Besides Beasley, will anyone wearing purple?

cookster50
01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Is this going to be on an over the air tv channel? Or just cable?

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 08:36 AM
10 to 1 says that since Beasley IS KSU's big man, essentially... KU should have Chalmers, Collins and Robinson slash and dash into the lane... Beasley will foul them... get 3 fouls with 8 minutes left in first half. It will be discouraging to KSU fans, but this is what should happen.
I like the way you think.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
If I had some video evidence, I'd show you. But since I didn't tape the game, I can't.

Some of his gestures weren't even foul calls and hell two of his calls were downright horrendous. But whatever.

Hightower is part of a three man crew. Crying about him makes you look petty. Of course it's the thing to do if you're Hawk fan these days.

hawkchief
01-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Today's article explains pretty much how I feel about Martin and Wefald/Weiser:

All the pressures on K-State in Wednesdays Sunflower Showdown
By JASON WHITLOCK

The weird thing about Wednesday’s Sunflower basketball showdown is that absolutely all the pressure is on the underdog Kansas State Wildcats.

A Kansas loss means little. If the second-ranked Jayhawks fall in the polls, it won’t be very far, maybe to No. 3 or 4. They’ll remain on pace for an NCAA Tournament No. 1 seed, and stay the heavy favorite to win the Big 12 Conference. In terms of in-state bragging rights, the end of KU’s Manhattan winning streak won’t diminish the Jayhawks’ superiority or signal a turn in momentum.

Nope. Every bit of pressure resides in Manhattan. The whole campus will be on trial Wednesday night.

There are four ways to justify the Bob Huggins/Michael Beasley/Bill Walker, one-and-done experiment: 1. A home victory over the Jayhawks; 2. An NCAA Tournament run that reaches the Final Four; 3. Recruiting classes in 2008 and 2009 that allow the Wildcats to become a consistent postseason tourney team; 4. A miracle second season from Beasley.

OK, No. 4 ain’t happening. Beasley is a can’t-miss NBA prospect, the most NBA-ready college player since Carmelo Anthony. Beasley (and Walker) have seats reserved on the same midnight train that escorted Huggins to West Virginia after a year of carousing in Aggieville.

No. 3 is a long shot, unless the Cats plan on making it a habit of giving AAU coaches jobs and moving families to the Little Apple. I mean, seriously, is K-State really willing to do what Kansas does to remain elite?

No. 2 is a stretch, too. K-State’s guards are average, its coaching staff is unproven, and it was just one month ago that Xavier spayed and neutered the Wildcats by 26 points. The Cats are just as capable of getting run as making a run in the tournament.

So we’re left with Wednesday night, a predetermined one-night stand. Failure to perform will devastate K-State faithful and embarrass the men who hatched the plan to rent Huggins, Beasley and Walker.

Yeah, Jon Wefald and Tim Weiser will have tight cheeks on Wednesday. So will Frank Martin and Dalonte Hill, the primary benefactor$ of Huggins’ escape. Wefald and Weiser took a major risk resurrecting Huggins. That blew up. Wefald and Weiser doubled their risk promoting Martin and Hill just to satisfy two NBA exchange students for a few semesters. Rather than build a program, K-State bought a couple of scratch-off tickets. We’re about to see what’s in the first box.

Athletes are fond of saying that “pressure busts pipes.” Can the Cats handle the pressure?

We’re talking about a coaching staff and roster with no big-game experience. You know how I feel about Beasley. He could score 50 Wednesday night. He was made for the big show. This game is his best shot at claiming player of the year. He’s not getting Kevin Durant-like hype because he plays for Kansas State. That could all change Wednesday. If he takes down the Jayhawks with a remarkable performance, people will start buzzing.

What we don’t know is what Beasley’s supporting cast will do. Does Walker see Wednesday night as his opportunity to launch himself into the draft lottery by undressing preseason All-American Brandon Rush?

And you never know who else on K-State’s roster sees this game as the culmination or beginning of his Hoop Dream.

Frank Martin has quite a temper. Surely he’s tired of hearing about how he can’t coach and doesn’t deserve this job. He could melt. He could over-coach.

Meanwhile, this game is nothing to Bill Self and his players. Whenever they hit the road, they walk into an extremely hostile arena.

The conventional wisdom is that Kansas’ biggest advantage is its backcourt. No doubt Rush, Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson and Sherron Collins give KU a nice leg up. But experience will be KU’s best ally Wednesday night.

They’re going to embrace this challenge. They’re glad the Wildcats will take the court with players who can compete. It gets old hearing about a rivalry that doesn’t exist on the court. It’s a rare chance to play K-State in a game that matters.

The Jayhawks will be ready. Besides Beasley, will anyone wearing purple?

It's good to see that Whitlock isn't afraid to publicly indict the entire KSU athletic department over the slimy goings-on in Manhattan over the past couple of years. Weiser and Wefald's "full-court-heave" by hiring THuggins, and now Martin, in an attempt to stop their programs' death spiral, is about to draw nothing but air.

What the KSU fans are viewing as a "turnaround" for their program is no more than a feeble, transparent, failed attempt by desperate men running a desperate program.

Like THuggins before them, Beasley and Walker are a few weeks away from screeching out of Manhattan, having used its program and facilities to further their careers, while leaving the Cats holding the bag, once again.

Terribilis
01-28-2008, 09:14 AM
How can KU even stay on the same court as Basketball Jesus?

I think KU should go ahead hand over the keys- they don't stand a chance against...

http://www.threefolks.com/images/filmsairjesus.gif

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Is this going to be on an over the air tv channel? Or just cable?
My schedule says it is on ESPN+. The Nebraska game was on there and I got it on my local NBC station.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 09:21 AM
It's good to see that Whitlock isn't afraid to publicly indict the entire KSU athletic department over the slimy goings-on in Manhattan over the past couple of years. Weiser and Wefald's "full-court-heave" by hiring THuggins, and now Martin, in an attempt to stop their programs' death spiral, is about to draw nothing but air.

What the KSU fans are viewing as a "turnaround" for their program is no more than a feeble, transparent, failed attempt by desperate men running a desperate program.

Like THuggins before them, Beasley and Walker are a few weeks away from screeching out of Manhattan, having used its program and facilities to further their careers, while leaving the Cats holding the bag, once again.

LMAO
Huggins won't come to coach.

Walker won't come to Manhattan.

Beaz won't come to Manhattan.

Martin, with talent, will be worse than any coach in Big 12.

Please, don't ever stop.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 09:24 AM
What is still amazing is that one program would let another just completely own them for the last 24 years at their own house...

Just sad, really sad....

Lzen
01-28-2008, 09:35 AM
This is great. I love the fact that KSU actually has some talent over there to compete. There is a good chance that KSU could win this game. KU is obviously a much better team. But we all know that Beasley and Walker are huge individual talents that make their team better. Is this the year that streak ends? I obviously hope not, but it would not surprise me. Sure, it is nice seeing my team owning the Kitties. But that is just not as fun as a true rivalry. The game should be very good. As good as Beasley is, I think KU's team defense will prove to be too much for him. Sure, he might get 20 points or so. I just think those will be extremely hard to come by and that will wear him down. I guess we will see. Good luck, Cats.

Terribilis
01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
frankly I have been getting bored watching KU steamroll people, it will be nice to see the JV team try and compete.
;)

hawkchief
01-28-2008, 09:40 AM
LMAO
Huggins won't come to coach.

Walker won't come to Manhattan.

Beaz won't come to Manhattan.

Martin, with talent, will be worse than any coach in Big 12.

Please, don't ever stop.

THuggins came for one whole season and then said "No thanks, I'd rather be in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Walker came to Manhattan and pissed on the court at Allen Fieldhouse West. Aside from whining every game and drawing attention to himself all the time, he appears to be a great teammate.

Wefald and Weiser wouldn't let Beaz out of his LOI, so he had to come to Mahattan.

Martin, excuse me, Frank, is a joke, enough said.

Thanks for playing!

kcbronco
01-28-2008, 09:45 AM
God you KU fans are arrogant. Do you also cheer for the Yankees?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
THuggins came for one whole season and then said "No thanks, I'd rather be in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Walker came to Manhattan and pissed on the court at Allen Fieldhouse West. Aside from whining every game and drawing attention to himself all the time, he appears to be a great teammate.

Wefald and Weiser wouldn't let Beaz out of his LOI, so he had to come to Mahattan.

Thanks for playing!

Beasley never requested to be released. Why would he?

KevB
01-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Thanks for playing!

Sometimes I wonder why I even come to this board. Instead of talking about a really interesting basketball game, we're dealing with things like this. Do you even really care about how your team plays the game, or is this type of "banter" where you get your enjoyment?

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Has anybody seen where "Beaz" guaranteed victory? The KU team has.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 09:58 AM
God you KU fans are arrogant. Do you also cheer for the Yankees?

Yeah, all fans are the same. :rolleyes:

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 10:01 AM

Well then, I guess it will just piss them off even more if it happens.

Honestly, who the **** cares if KSU loses....apparently we have no chance and shouldn't get our hopes up anyhow.

The funny part is how many of you keep down-playing Beasley's skill, yet SI calls him "clearly the best player in the Big 12".

I could give a shit about you all spouting the same tired, old garbage, just as the players should give 2 shits about what anyone says. The game is played on the wood, that's all that matters.

We'll just take our players that were never gonna come to Manhattan, and our High School coach, and the rest of our shitty team and start sucking our thumbs.

But if we win, what does that say about KU?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, all fans are the same. :rolleyes:

sorry, it's hard to notice that one out of 50....the rest tend to cloud you out.

Braincase
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM

I'm sure all of Lawrence is going to lose sleep on that one. KSU will break the streak, but not this year.

bobbything
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Ed Hightower is a moron. Any ref that deems it necessary to hog the camera the way he does is a moron. There's a few of them out there. Hightower is just one. All refs make bad calls; Hightower makes a bad call then mimics the signature celebratory routines of various WWF personalities.

I'm just waiting for him to call a charge, stare into the camera, and blurt out, "Do you smeeeeeeelllllllalalalalalalal...WHAT THE ROCK...IS COOKIN'!"

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm sure all of Lawrence is going to lose sleep on that one. KSU will break the streak, but not this year.

and likewise Manhattan won't implode if we lose...

Lzen
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
sorry, it's hard to notice that one out of 50....the rest tend to cloud you out.

You always exaggerate like that? Sure, many KU fans are excited and proud of this year's team. It's really hard to not be with what they have done up to this point. At the same time, many KU fans have given KSU credit. Your team has really gotten much better over the past couple of year. Obviously, KU fans have good reason to believe their team should win this game. That doesn't mean it will happen. That's why they play the games.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Honestly, who the **** cares if KSU loses....apparently we have no chance and shouldn't get our hopes up anyhow.

The funny part is how many of you keep down-playing Beasley's skill, yet SI calls him "clearly the best player in the Big 12".

I could give a shit about you all spouting the same tired, old garbage, just as the players should give 2 shits about what anyone says. The game is played on the wood, that's all that matters.

We'll just take our players that were never gonna come to Manhattan, and our High School coach, and the rest of our shitty team and start sucking our thumbs.

If KSU wins, I think that says a Helluva lot more about the Wildcats than it says about KU.

Look, I understand your frustration. KU football fans had to listen to this same kind of crap. Now the tables have been turned. It's the same thing. Beasley is the best player in the conference. Of that, I have no doubt. But he has not faced a defense like the one he will see Wednesday. And the last I checked, basketball is still a team sport. It helps a lot to have some star players, sure. But generally the best team wins. I still think my Hawks will win this one. That doesn't mean I don't respect KSU's basketball team.

How about some predictions? I'll start.

KU 67
KSU 62

Beasley with 19 points and 8 rebounds. ;)

Mr. Laz
01-28-2008, 10:42 AM

dam ..... you're sounding more and more like a Tigger every post.

geesh

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Can Martin keep his kids focused and disciplined when facing this kind of defense?

Can KSU's depth keep up with KU's?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
You always exaggerate like that? Sure, many KU fans are excited and proud of this year's team. It's really hard to not be with what they have done up to this point. At the same time, many KU fans have given KSU credit. Your team has really gotten much better over the past couple of year. Obviously, KU fans have good reason to believe their team should win this game. That doesn't mean it will happen. That's why they play the games.

have you read this thread, this board, or any KSU or KU board? This thread alone has at least a dozen KU fans acting like total asshats.

Out of the dozen-plus regular KU posters on KStateFans.com, only CPAHawk is a truely gracious, reasonable poster. The rest might give an occasional backhanded compliment, but most are just arrogant douchebags.

How sad are KU posters.....during the Orange Bowl, KU's biggest football game EVER, several KU fans were on K-State boards talking smack instead of cheering on their team. Arrogance and pathetic.

Mr. Laz
01-28-2008, 10:50 AM
This thread alone has at least a dozen KU fans +1 KSU fan acting like total asshats.

FYP

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
have you read this thread, this board, or any KSU or KU board? This thread alone has at least a dozen KU fans acting like total asshats.

Out of the dozen-plus regular KU posters on KStateFans.com, only CPAHawk is a truely gracious, reasonable poster. The rest might give an occasional backhanded compliment, but most are just arrogant douchebags.

How sad are KU posters.....during the Orange Bowl, KU's biggest football game EVER, several KU fans were on K-State boards talking smack instead of cheering on their team. Arrogance and pathetic.

Sounds like MU fans before the KU/MU game at Camarohead....

schneider221
01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
from what i have seen any ku fan who isn't a complete idiot thinks beasley is the best player in the conference(and probably country). you gotta realize though ku had the best player in the country go off for huge games twice last year and ku won both of those games. could kstate win yes, could beasley go off for 30 points yes and many people would not be surprised, but because of the games against texas last year people are not as worried as normal.

schneider221
01-28-2008, 11:09 AM

if you think ku fans are the only ones who are ever arrogant or on other teams message boards during games then you are being biased. some people look at message boards during games just because its the other teams board doesn't mean they aren't watching or paying attention.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
from what i have seen any ku fan who isn't a complete idiot thinks beasley is the best player in the conference(and probably country). you gotta realize though ku had the best player in the country go off for huge games twice last year and ku won both of those games. could kstate win yes, could beasley go off for 30 points yes and many people would not be surprised, but because of the games against texas last year people are not as worried as normal.

oh, there's no doubt that having the best player on the court (or conference, or country) is no lock on a win. The funny part is the number of KU fans who refuse to ackowledge Beasley's prowess.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
if you think ku fans are the only ones who are ever arrogant or on other teams message boards during games then you are being biased. some people look at message boards during games just because its the other teams board doesn't mean they aren't watching or paying attention.

hey if KU fans wanted to go to the VaTech boards during the Orange Bowl and talk smack, by all means do. But why go to the KSU board and do it? That's arrogance and douchebaggery.

Would a Pats fan come to Chiefsplanet during the SuperBowl and talk shit? How would that be received here?

bobbything
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
oh, there's no doubt that having the best player on the court (or conference, or country) is no lock on a win. The funny part is the number of KU fans who refuse to ackowledge Beasley's prowess.
I've never run into this. Any KU fan who doesn't acknowledge his ability is either ignorant, and doesn't really deserve to be discussing basketball, or is just trying to get a rise out of you.

schneider221
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
hey if KU fans wanted to go to the VaTech boards during the Orange Bowl and talk smack, by all means do. But why go to the KSU board and do it? That's arrogance and douchebaggery.

Would a Pats fan come to Chiefsplanet during the SuperBowl and talk shit? How would that be received here?

no but that is because the pats fans could care less about the lowly chiefs.

now lets say kstate made it to the elite 8 and just happened to be winning the game to advance to the final four, i would put money down there would be some cats on a ku board talking trash...especially if ku had been knocked out already.

SithCeNtZ
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM

Please stop acting like one(your) fan base is any different than KU's. The fact is that in any rivalry both fan bases are going to be gloating when something great is happening. I bet you didn't see(or chose not to remember) the phog after KSU beat UT at Texas this year. Thread after thread about how much Mangino sucked and how KSU was in great shape with Prince started by KSU fans. Then we went into KSU and won and shut them up. You must be nieve if you think there wouldn't be some chiefs fans posting on Raiders or Donx boards right now if we were in the super bowl.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 11:26 AM
no but that is because the pats fans could care less about the lowly chiefs.

now lets say kstate made it to the elite 8 and just happened to be winning the game to advance to the final four, i would put money down there would be some cats on a ku board talking trash...especially if ku had been knocked out already.

and those fans would be assholes...

hawkchief
01-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Plenty of KU fans admit Beasley is a great player. Kansas, OTOH, is a great team, with 8-10 great players and we don't hear every KSU player saying that, do we.

There are KSUck fans stupid enough to say that Pullen ( a KSU sub) is better than DJ Augustin from Texas and Sherron Collins. Talk abouit douchebaggery and stupidity, try that one out.

Quit your whining about not getting respected by KU fans and look in the mirror at your own bunch of idiots with hard-ons over finally having a team that isn't one of the worst in the country. You better smile and enjoy it while you can - reality is only month or so away.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Ed Hightower is a moron. Any ref that deems it necessary to hog the camera the way he does is a moron. There's a few of them out there. Hightower is just one. All refs make bad calls; Hightower makes a bad call then mimics the signature celebratory routines of various WWF personalities.

I'm just waiting for him to call a charge, stare into the camera, and blurt out, "Do you smeeeeeeelllllllalalalalalalal...WHAT THE ROCK...IS COOKIN'!"

I don't think I've ever seen so many people - from one team - cry about an official. It's amazing.
Can you also cry about fans booing? I just want to hear that one too.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
There are KSUck fans stupid enough to say that Pullen ( a KSU sub) is better than DJ Augustin from Texas and Sherron Collins. Talk abouit douchebaggery and stupidity, try that one out.

link? I've never heard anyone make such a statement. I know there was some discussion on whether Walker was better than Augustine.

I'll ignore the rest of your arrogant thread. Why must there always be a put-down attached? Pathetic.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Plenty of KU fans admit Beasley is a great player. Kansas, OTOH, is a great team, with 8-10 great players and we don't hear every KSU player saying that, do we.

Quit your whining about not getting respected by KU fans and look in the mirror at your own bunch of idiots with hard-ons over finally having a team that isn't one of the worst in the country. You better smile and enjoy it while you can - reality is only month or so away.

No KSU fans think Pullen is better than Fat boy.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Can Martin keep his kids focused and disciplined when facing this kind of defense?

Can KSU's depth keep up with KU's?

The second part is a legit concern. They go way deep. It's what has hid Arthur's tendency to get in foul trouble. Keeping him at 27 minutes or so gives him plenty of breathers and allows Snowman some minutes.

What have you seen that makes you think KSU is undisciplined?

schneider221
01-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think I've ever seen so many people - from one team - cry about an official. It's amazing.

you should check out west virginia fans... they are tearing him apart right now for the questionable non goal tending call at the end of the georgetown game.

Terribilis
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

you mean this?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/01/27/bc.bkc.t25.sunflowersho.ap/index.html

KevB
01-28-2008, 11:40 AM

So Case and Stewart are "great" players? And good luck finding a single KSU fan who would make your Pullen argument. You've now resorted to just making up things to argue about? Finally, I don't see anyone looking for respect from KU fans. I personally don't give a rat's a$$ what level of respect KU fans have for KSU, least of all you. All I'd ask is that people actually talk about the basketball game/teams, instead of a rant with put downs.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 11:43 AM
The second part is a legit concern. They go way deep. It's what has hid Arthur's tendency to get in foul trouble. Keeping him at 27 minutes or so gives him plenty of breathers and allows Snowman some minutes.

What have you seen that makes you think KSU is undisciplined?

I used the word "undisciplined" as a meaning for controlling emotions during the biggest game in the last 40 years for KSU. Maybe I should of used "keeping his kids focused and emotions in check" instead of undisciplined. My bad.

Actually I think depth, leadership along with having a veteran team and coach will prove to be to much for the young KSU team and therefore keeping the streak alive.

This will be the biggest test of Frank Martins young coaching career, can he pull the strings and make the right moves to beat a battle tested and proven Jayhawk squad?

bobbything
01-28-2008, 11:44 AM
You're joking, right? Ed Hightower was a once great ref that is long past his prime. Talk to anyone that knows anything about referees and his name will be at the top of their "Most Hated." He's a camera-mugging ref that gets assigned to marquee games probably for this reason alone. He loves the limelight.

Are you related to him or something?

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 11:45 AM
you should check out west virginia fans... they are tearing him apart right now for the questionable non goal tending call at the end of the georgetown game.

It wasn't goal tending. What it was, was a bang-bang play.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 11:49 AM

Regardless Bill, When you have to deal with Mr Look at me Hightower in national marque games as much as KU fans do, you will learn to not appreciate him either...

He is a pompus ass that thinks he is bigger than the game itsself... KU fans arent the only ones that cant stand him.... Ask any knowledgeable college basketball fan and his name along with Steve Welmer's will come up as major tool boxes...

Hightower is the Ed Hockili (spelling) of the NCAA's

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
You're joking, right? Ed Hightower was a once great ref that is long past his prime. Talk to anyone that knows anything about referees and his name will be at the top of their "Most Hated." He's a camera-mugging ref that gets assigned to marquee games probably for this reason alone. He loves the limelight.

Are you related to him or something?

Link to the bolded part. Please. You phoggies are such an insecure bunch.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Regardless Bill, When you have to deal with Mr Look at me Hightower in national marque games as much as KU fans do, you will learn to not appreciate him either...

He is a pompus ass that thinks he is bigger than the game itsself... KU fans arent the only ones that cant stand him.... Ask any knowledgeable college basketball fan and his name along with Steve Welmer's will come up as major tool boxes...

Hightower is the Ed Hockili (spelling) of the NCAA's

Ah. So it's just a fan's perspective. Gotcha.

schneider221
01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

actually i believe it was goal tending but you are correct in that is was very close and without the use of replay would be very hard to call correct. so you can not really blame them for missing the call in the last second. it would be nice if they would have talked about it among the refs but that wasn't really possible with huggins trying to run them down.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I used the word "undisciplined" as a meaning for controlling emotions during the biggest game in the last 40 years for KSU. Maybe I should of used "keeping his kids focused and emotions in check" instead of undisciplined. My bad.

Actually I think depth, leadership along with having a veteran team and coach will prove to be to much for the young KSU team and therefore keeping the streak alive.

This will be the biggest test of Frank Martins young coaching career, can he pull the strings and make the right moves to beat a battle tested and proven Jayhawk squad?

Hey, I wish KSU players were robots. But they aren't. They all know how much the fans want to win this game. But in the end, it's one game.

The goal is to make the top 4, get a bye in the Big 12 tourney, and go deep in the NCAA.

As for Martin, the guy has exceeded all expectations to this point. (I mean, he's a sleazy high school coach) But the tough part of the schedule comes in the second half.

Terribilis
sorry to go off topic, but as a KU fan I was unclear as to what Ed Hightower had done that was really bad (its important to be up on this kind of stuff as a fan). When I googled him, I couldnt really find anything that offensive, but I did find this message board quote. Ed clearly is NOT a guitar hero fan.
I just hope his mom doesn't come after me

http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/msu-red-cedar-message-board/282423-what-s-nerdier-dungeons-dragons-playing-guitar-hero-instead-real-guitar-4.html
"Originally Posted by Ed Hightower View Post
Thread Re-cap, per Pablo Fanque:

Guitar hero is for nerds who are not playing a video game so much as pretending to play guitar.

Unless you play real guitar. Then you can play Guitar Hero. But if you do play guitar, you can't defend the playing of guitar hero, because you weren't supposed to be insulted. And the only way you can defend something is if you're offended by it.

Here's why this thread is retarded. Non-guitar players WOULD play a real guitar if they really had the time and felt like putting that much work into it. Not everyone has that ambition. It's a video game. Not a guitar simulator. Give someone with no guitar experience 2 options:

Take this guitar and play with it, and in 2 hours, you might be able to play the intro to Smoke on the Water.

OR

You can play a video game and all you have to do is push buttons when it tells you to, and you will be able to control the guitar part in any of these 70 songs. The learning curve is 5 minutes.

This thread sucks"

bobbything
Link to the bolded part. Please.
You know, there are other avenues you can pursue when discussing things other than message boards.

One of my best friends is a UConn fan. He despises Eddie Hightower for the same reasons that have been mentioned. We watch the game for the team, not Ed Hightower. Have a good friend who's a Moo fan and says the same thing.

Really, I assure you, it's not just KU fans who think this. He's seen nationally all the time. There's a reason people know his name.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Ah. So it's just a fan's perspective. Gotcha.

exactly, just like you being a fan....

kstater
01-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Well this thread took off in a different direction than I expected. I posted the article this morning because JWhit is right. Wefald/Weiser threw the equivalent of a hail mary this year. Hiring Martin is a huge gamble. I hope he turns out to be an excellent coach, but at this time with his experience we just don't know. That said, IMO the Cat's have to make a deep run in the NCAA's to be able to get the recognition to keep recruiting the kind of talent needed to consistently compete in the Big 12. Can they make that deep run? Honestly at this time I don't know. I do know Beasely and probably Walker are gone after the year.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Hey, I wish KSU players were robots. But they aren't. They all know how much the fans want to win this game. But in the end, it's one game.

The goal is to make the top 4, get a bye in the Big 12 tourney, and go deep in the NCAA.

As for Martin, the guy has exceeded all expectations to this point. (I mean, he's a sleazy high school coach) But the tough part of the schedule comes in the second half.

Dont all the games between the rivals?

bobbything
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Link to the bolded part. Please. You phoggies are such an insecure bunch.
Just to humor you, I did a simple Google search and found (some variation of the phrase) "I hate Ed Hightower" associated with these schools...

Oklahoma State
Michigan State
Georgetown
Indiana
Iowa

lightsout04
01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
i say ku will still win by 10+. they are just too deep for ksu. but it will be a good game.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:17 PM
You know, there are other avenues you can pursue when discussing things other than message boards.

One of my best friends is a UConn fan. He despises Eddie Hightower for the same reasons that have been mentioned. We watch the game for the team, not Ed Hightower. Have a good friend who's a Moo fan and says the same thing.

Really, I assure you, it's not just KU fans who think this. He's seen nationally all the time. There's a reason people know his name.

Whoa! You said "Ask anybody that knows anything about (officials)"

Then direct me to those other avenues. Otherwise, you sound like a whiney bitch.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:19 PM
exactly, just like you being a fan....

Dude, I love, ya... and not in that skip sorta way, but you lost me here.

doomy3
01-28-2008, 12:19 PM

Then direct me to those other avenues. Otherwise, you sound like a whiney bitch.

Are you Ed Hightower's Dad or something?

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Just to humor you, I did a simple Google search and found (some variation of the phrase) "I hate Ed Hightower" associated with these schools...

Oklahoma State
Michigan State
Georgetown
Indiana
Iowa
Dont forget these either... Just a few pages in and you will find these...

So it is just not the Phoggies there William....

Illinois
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Missouri
Louisville
Nebraska
Ohio State
Kentucky
Purdue

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Dude, I love, ya... and not in that skip sorta way, but you lost me here.

Whether you a fan of a certain team in the sunflower state or not, there are many fans, teams, coaches, etc (mostly fans) that dont like Ed Hightower...

Even though KU beat MU a few games ago, You couldn't of been more sick as a fan of either team watching Ed Hightower strut his stuff around the court making just pathetic calls one right after another on both teams...

bobbything
01-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Those other avenues would probably be discussing basketball with people outside of a message board. For instance, maybe striking up a conversation at a bar with someone. I don't know which avenue you choose to pursue. Nor can I provide a link to that.

Edit: the only reason you think I sound like a "whiney (sp) bitch" is because I'm a KU fan, and you're probably around KU fans more than, lets say, Purdue fans. If I were a Boilermaker complaining about Hightower, then I'd still be a whiny bitch, but you wouldn't necessarily have to listen to me.

Hang around fans from other schools. Ed Hightower and Jim Burr might be the most loathed officials of all time (outside of Jim Bain and his Iowa debacle).

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
"I hate Ed Hightower" yields 15 Google results

"I hate Bill Self" yields 67 results.

So it would appear the man is not universally loathed.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
"I hate Ed Hightower" yields 15 Google results

"I hate Bill Self" yields 67 results. All most likely Illinois fans ROFL

So it would appear the man is not universally loathed.

Dude you garnered 418 Hits.... "I hate mikeyis4dcats" Not saying all those hits are links to someone hating you.

Also "I Hate Frank Martin" brought on 220,000 + Hits... With the first hit talking "New Kansas State Coach Frank Martin's Unethical History" Ouch!

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/ncaabasketball/2007/04/06/new-kansas-state-coach-frank-martins-unethical-history/

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Man "I hate Reerun_KC" only pulled 2 hits...

How irrelevant am I?

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Jesus phoggything, next time just say, in your opinion as a fan.

We do agree on one thing, Jim Bain, was horrible. He was great at keeping underdogs in games though.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Man "I hate Reerun_KC" only pulled 2 hits...

How irrelevant am I?

One from skip?

One from the state of Okalahomo?

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:41 PM
One from skip?

One from the state of Okalahomo?
:LOL:

Yeah skip pretty much hates me, actually who doesnt that cranky old man hate?

mikeboogie
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Ed Hightower is related to my brothers second grade teacher. My point is, who cares who the refs are. It is good to have some buildup to this game, finally.

Plus, I would not mind seeing Huggins get screwed a couple more times this year. Also, I would not mind KU getting a few bad breaks go against them.

I remember a couple of years ago in Manhattan where Wooly completely lost his mind over a couple of bogus calls. Didn’t help much but it was fun to watch….

Go Cats

Go Cats

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
And btw Bobbyt: I'm just f'ing with you.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Here is some classic Ed Hightower photoshop fun...

My god this thread will bring you to tears!!!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172#s=172&f=2481&t=1884620

Lzen
01-28-2008, 12:50 PM

I think that stems from early in the Big 12 (or maybe even before that). Hightower would seem to make some questionable calls on KU. As for the MU game, it did start out poorly. But I think the poor calls evened out as the game went on. That's what usually happens, the calls even out over the course of games/seasons.

bobbything
01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
And btw Bobbyt: I'm just f'ing with you.
I know. It's all good. We may root for different colleges, however, we'll all still come together on Sunday to hate on the Broncos.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 12:53 PM
So Case and Stewart are "great" players? And good luck finding a single KSU fan who would make your Pullen argument. You've now resorted to just making up things to argue about? Finally, I don't see anyone looking for respect from KU fans. I personally don't give a rat's a$$ what level of respect KU fans have for KSU, least of all you. All I'd ask is that people actually talk about the basketball game/teams, instead of a rant with put downs.

Case sucks, period. Any KU fan that thinks otherwise is delusional. Now Stewart, on the other hand, is a very decent role player. Frankly, I think he would be a starter on most teams. Or, at the very least, a good 6th man.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Case sucks, period. Any KU fan that thinks otherwise is delusional. Now Stewart, on the other hand, is a very decent role player. Frankly, I think he would be a starter on most teams. Or, at the very least, a good 6th man.

Agreed, Case doesnt bring much to the table....

Lzen
01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
The 6-foot-10 Beasley, who scores up close, from mid-range and behind the 3-point arc, has become an early prime candidate for national player of the year. He's clearly the best in the Big 12 and he, too, has confidently predicted victory over the hated Jayhawks.

"We're going to beat Kansas at home. We're going to beat them their house. We're going to beat them in Africa. Wherever we play, we're going to beat them," he has said.

"I'm not scared to say it," Walker offered three months ago during the Big 12's media day. "I'm saying we'll beat them."

Wow. I admire confident players, but that is just plain stupid.

KevB
01-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Stewart is a nice player, but the term used was "great". He's a nice guy to bring energy off the bench, certainly.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I think that stems from early in the Big 12 (or maybe even before that). Hightower would seem to make some questionable calls on KU. As for the MU game, it did start out poorly. But I think the poor calls evened out as the game went on. That's what usually happens, the calls even out over the course of games/seasons.

No they don't. Haven't you heard? Hightower makes the game all about him. It never evens out. Ever. Why he even screwed WVU on a non call last Saturday.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow. I admire confident players, but that is just plain stupid.

I sure hope the KU players didn't read that. Of course, after hearing interviews of several KU players, I know one fundamental they do not have is reading.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Stewart is a nice player, but the term used was "great". He's a nice guy to bring energy off the bench, certainly.

:LOL: You know that every team has their homers. ;)

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I sure hope the KU players didn't read that. Of course, after hearing interviews of several KU players, I know one fundamental they do not have is reading.

why you calling out every NCAA b-ball player?

Man that is just wrong.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Is that a racial comment?

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Here is some classic Ed Hightower photoshop fun...

My god this thread will bring you to tears!!!

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172#s=172&f=2481&t=1884620

Looks like a board loaded with a bunch of racist, redneck hicks to me.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Is that a racial comment?

No. It's a reading is fundamental comment.

Reerun_KC
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM

Did I post the link for KSU message board?

teedubya
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Mikeyis4thecats needs to change his tampon.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
No. It's a reading is fundamental comment.

ROFL

kstater
01-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Cat's now ranked.
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 02:54 PM
You ought to know a lot about redneck hicks. You are one. Your time for running your mouth is just about over.

Lzen
01-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Cat's now ranked.
http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

How amazing is that? 5 of the teams in the Big 12 are ranked in the AP Top 25.

KU 2
Texas 10
Kansas State 22
Texas A&M 23
Baylor 25

kstater
01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Pretty nice Lzen. Hopefully the Cat's can live up to the build and be competitive. Maybe even come out with the W.

bobbything
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
How amazing is that? 5 of the teams in the Big 12 are ranked in the AP Top 25.

KU 2
Texas 10
Kansas State 22
Texas A&M 23
Baylor 25
On a side note, how is aTm still in the top 25?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Dude you garnered 418 Hits.... "I hate mikeyis4dcats" Not saying all those hits are links to someone hating you.

Also "I Hate Frank Martin" brought on 220,000 + Hits... With the first hit talking "New Kansas State Coach Frank Martin's Unethical History" Ouch!

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/category/ncaabasketball/2007/04/06/new-kansas-state-coach-frank-martins-unethical-history/

Isn't that cute, you don't even know how to use google....

If you ACTUALLY search for "I hate Frank martin", you get 1 hit, about some actor.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM

THAT is a very good question...

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Mikeyis4thecats needs to change his tampon.

dude, I told you lat time you brought this up, I will NOT let you earn your red wings with me...sick ****.

doomy3
01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Isn't that cute, you don't even know how to use google....

If you ACTUALLY search for "I hate Frank martin", you get 1 hit, about some actor.

:spock:

Actually, if you enter that into a google search, you get 219,000 hits. Not sure what the **** you are talking about.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i+hate+frank+martin

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
:spock:

Actually, if you enter that into a google search, you get 219,000 hits. Not sure what the **** you are talking about.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i+hate+frank+martin

you really DON'T know how to use google correctly do you dipshit?

If you want to return results for the text string "I hate Frank Martin" you must use quotation marks to limit the search to that phrase.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22I+hate+frank+martin%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

what you and the other retard accomplished was searching for every webpage that contains all of those 4 words, but in no context to each other. That search would return a postive hit on the following phrase:

"Doomy3 and I are arguing about Ben Franklin. He thinks I hate him, but to be frank, I love him more than Dean Martin".

Totally useless.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 04:02 PM
You ought to know a lot about redneck hicks. You are one. Your time for running your mouth is just about over.

Uh- oh. I hit a nerve. Originally, Skip is from a small town in Kansas. He raised goats. Now he's a city slicker. From Tulsa. LMAO

doomy3
01-28-2008, 04:04 PM
you really DON'T know how to use google correctly do you dipshit?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22I+hate+frank+martin%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Go to www.google.com and type that in. You will get 219,000 hits. Dipshit.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM

Turd envy.

doomy3
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I guess you're saying because I am not using the quotation marks? Oh well. Dumb argument anyway.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Go to www.google.com and type that in. You will get 219,000 hits. Dipshit.

read my post above you ****ing moron, or do I need to write it in crayon on a Big Chief tablet?

bobbything
Turd envy.
This joke went over my head.

kstater
I'm glad no one is acting like children here.

doomy3
01-28-2008, 04:10 PM
read my post above you ****ing moron, or do I need to write it in crayon on a Big Chief tablet?

Yes, please do. You are obviously just so much more inteligent than anyone else on here. And obviously tougher too.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes, please do. You are obviously just so much more inteligent than anyone else on here. And obviously tougher too.

Don't argue about stupid shit that you obviously don't know anything about, and you won't get owned. You don't see me arguing about Nascar do you?

Moving on.....so seriously, who does Turdgeon have pictures of with a goat?

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Uh- oh. I hit a nerve. Originally, Skip is from a small town in Kansas. He raised goats. Now he's a city slicker. From Tulsa. LMAO
But I'm not a midget, how about you?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

oh snap!

checkmate!

unless WTI is a midget, then that's just cruel and insensitive...

Lzen
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Barely. They won at OSU the other day or they definitely would have dropped out of the top 25.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM

Midget? Where would you get that idea? I tower over you.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
This joke went over my head.

It was nic in H.S.

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Midget? Where would you get that idea? I tower over you.
I'm 6'2" not 5'2".

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm 6'2" not 5'2".

You mean you're 62 and 5' 6"

Skip Towne
01-28-2008, 05:01 PM
You mean you're 62 and 5' 6"
You're the 5'6" guy. At least that is what you said in the past. And with your inferiority complex, it is fiting.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 05:06 PM
You're the 5'6" guy. At least that is what you said in the past. And with your inferiority complex, it is fiting.

First, you had a spelling boo-boo. Two t's.

I did?

Are you trying to finally use that diploma you got? Diagnosing somebody when you're a .... cable guy..... ouch.

CoMoChief
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm 6'2" not 5'2".
6'2 and full of shit.

WilliamTheIrish
01-28-2008, 07:13 PM
No, no. 62 and full of shit.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
I bet you're both right. He's probably 62, and 6'-2" laying down, but 5'-6" on his feet.

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/img/site/07/43/0000000743_20060919022354.jpg