PDA

View Full Version : Here's a few hundred bucks to help stimulate the economy

Archie F. Swin
01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
About a week after I received the last check from George W. Bush, the worst terrorist attack in our Nation's history occurred.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 09:21 PM
LMAO

Okay.

Archie F. Swin
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
so...how are you gonna stimulate the economy?

01-27-2008, 09:25 PM
So is this actually happening or still being discussed? The rebate.

personally, I would rather leave it alone. all it did was make tax preparation more difficult at the end of the year for those of us that plan our withholdings to balance out for a very small refund at the end of the year to maximize our monthly take home.

Archie F. Swin
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
i'm pretty sure its gonna happen

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
so...how are you gonna stimulate the economy?I have no idea. I'm just wondering how this relates to terrorist attacks.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 09:28 PM
You're not one of those conspiracy theory guys, are ya?

blueballs
01-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm going buysexual

Simply Red
01-27-2008, 09:32 PM
not gettin any.

BigChiefFan
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Please elaborate.

Mr. Laz
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
another bribe to try and deflect from doing a shite job

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Another stupid move, taking money from those who do smart things and giving it to people who do dumb things. I expect sales of frivolous and stupid s**t to go up for all of one month and nobody on Wall Street to give a f**k because they all know damn well it's temporary.

01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Another stupid move, taking money from those who do smart things and giving it to people who do dumb things. I expect sales of frivolous and stupid s**t to go up for all of one month and nobody on Wall Street to give a f**k because they all know damn well it's temporary.
exactly why I don't think they should do it. People that make sound financial decisions are just fine. Unfortunately, this is America home of the in debt.

RJ
01-27-2008, 09:53 PM

Well, I believe that's exactly what they want to happen.

Hopefully a healthy percentage of folks will put the money toward bigger purchases they may have been putting off. Like flooring. for instance, which I happen to sell. Ideally, a healthy percentage of those rebates will go towards what the economists call "durable goods".

Personally, I will try to make certain that whatever our family receives will go immediately back into the economy. I don't know if the plan will work but we'll at least do our part.

KcMizzou
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I plan on sticking mine in the bank for when my old broken down car finally gives up.

I believe it's $1200... that plus my normal tax refund would make a nice down payment on something better.

I'm just one guy... but this cash'll help me personally, a lot.

BigChiefFan
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
It won't be a long-term fix, but any time the government wants to give me money back, I'm good with it. It's our money in the first place.

Iowanian
01-27-2008, 10:05 PM
depending on the criteria, I'll likely purchase some additional equipment for my business that I wasn't going to at this time, remodel a bathroom in the house, or pay off debt.

The irony is....this was done because so many people have bad debt, and I doubt 5% of them will use the money to help alleviate that.

petegz28
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Wha, Wha, Wha. If they didn't give us some money they would just waste it on something else useless. Will this help the econom? Very little. Would I rather waste my money than let the fed gov do it? Yes. Would I rather see someone less fortunate than me waste my money than the fed gov if that is the choice? Yes.

Dunit35
01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
What's the criteria for recieving the refund? I'm a 22 year old working college student...do I get any?

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Wha, Wha, Wha. If they didn't give us some money they would just waste it on something else useless. Will this help the econom? Very little. Would I rather waste my money than let the fed gov do it? Yes. Would I rather see someone less fortunate than me waste my money than the fed gov if that is the choice? Yes.
Do you actually think they're going to spend any less because of this?

petegz28
What's the criteria for recieving the refund? I'm a 22 year old working college student...do I get any?

depends on how much money you paid on federal taxes. I think the minimum they are talking about is $300. None of this has been signed into law yet so don't get the cart too far out in front of the horse.

Simplex3
About $600 if I've heard correctly.

RJ
depending on the criteria, I'll likely purchase some additional equipment for my business that I wasn't going to at this time, remodel a bathroom in the house, or pay off debt.

The irony is....this was done because so many people have bad debt, and I doubt 5% of them will use the money to help alleviate that.

From what I've read, paying down debt is the last thing the gubment wants to see us do with the money. I don't really understand that cause you'd think that as long as the money gets moved somewhere/ anywhere it would help the economy but that is what I've read.

petegz28
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Do you actually think they're going to spend any less because of this?

Does it matter? And yes they are taking this money out of other budgets but still.

The more appropriate question is "would this money otherwise be wasted by the fed gov?" And the answer is yes. So the people should at least get something out of it for once.

petegz28
01-27-2008, 10:12 PM

up to $600 depeneding on how much you paid in fed taxes.

Dunit35
01-27-2008, 10:15 PM

For a person my age/ college student.

Is this extra money, money I will have to add to my tax stuff next tax season...which in turn could hurt my financial aid?

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
For a person my age/ college student.

Is this extra money, money I will have to add to my tax stuff next tax season...which in turn could hurt my financial aid?
Yep. The money you earned once already, and they're ever-so-graciously giving you some of back, is once again "income".

It's f**king magical.

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Does it matter? And yes they are taking this money out of other budgets but still.

The more appropriate question is "would this money otherwise be wasted by the fed gov?" And the answer is yes. So the people should at least get something out of it for once.
Dude, the feds aren't going to cut spending in one single solitary place. If we're lucky as hell they *might* curb a spending increase or two. Maybe.

Iowanian
01-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Just in case, you should probably just send that $600 to me. That goes for anyone who is concerned about it affecting you in a negative way.

I'm not a big fan of the decision to do this, and think it is nothing but a political slight of hand by both parties.

That said, As much tax money as I have paid in over the years, I'll happily take my cut, and I'll do as much Good for my family as I can with it.

How can paying debt help? If 80% of those in default to a bank or CC use that money to pay debt for a couple of months, while getting their feet under them with the added cushion.....it will strengthen the bottom line for those companies, improving their stock value, keeping people employed.

A pebble in a pond has a ripple that can reach a long ways....good or bad.

I too wish the Feds would cut some spending to help as well, but I've yet to see anyone volunteer a program that affects them for any of those cuts.

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I too wish the Feds would cut some spending to help as well, but I've yet to see anyone volunteer a program that affects them for any of those cuts.
Find the one that's helping me and axe it. As long as I get the tax reduction to go with it I'm fine.

Iowanian
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Roads? Police and fire protection? Public education?

What are you willing to give up?

Of course, like everyone else, I'd love to be able to take a pen to 10 line items, but I'm sure people would be furious at some of my cuts.....arts and whatnot for starters after I get through the Pork.

irishjayhawk
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
About a week after I received the last check from George W. Bush, the worst terrorist attack in our Nation's history occurred.

My locker combination - no joke - that year was 9/11/01. And no, I'm not making that up.

irishjayhawk
01-27-2008, 10:26 PM

Doesn't it depend if your a dependent or not?

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Roads? Police and fire protection? Public education?

What are you willing to give up?

Of course, like everyone else, I'd love to be able to take a pen to 10 line items, but I'm sure people would be furious at some of my cuts.....arts and whatnot for starters after I get through the Pork.
Federal funding for public education would be gone. Immediately.

National Endowment for the Arts? Gone.

PBS? Gone.

Govt business subsidies and bailouts? Gone.

Govt price fixing? Including oil, farms subsidies, etc? Gone.

Ted Stevens? Shot.

Simplex3
01-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Doesn't it depend if your a dependent or not?
I haven't really looked into it all that much. Frankly it's just barely a blip on the radar of things that will affect me in 2008.

stonedstooge
01-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Just wait for a time. If this country puts in a Democrat for President, that money you get back will be taken back probably many times over when they increase taxes again. I know they always talk about only taxing the so called rich, but how do you think the "rich" recoup the monies thay lose. They take it back from the little guy. I like Huckabee's straight tax that eliminates the IRS. If I understand it it would be a straight sales tax on all items. If you are poorer you don't purchase as many things as those middle class or upperclass people do. It would eliminate all payroll taxes and federal taxes incorporating them into a National sales tax. Those who make lower amounts of money would receive a rebate at the end of the year. Those above a certain line, would not. Imagine no IRS. I dealt with them over 4 years a few years ago and they were threatening to put liens on our property and got quite nasty. They ended up being wrong but it got scary for a time with their threatening manner.

dj56dt58
01-27-2008, 11:07 PM

It was done to get people to pump money back into the economy. Whether they use it to buy things or pay off debt and buy things w/ the money they would have been paying that debt with...same thing

FAX
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm a flat tax man, myself.

As for the rebate, the only halfway decent things to buy come from either China or Japan. All we're really doing is helping some Walmart employees pad their 401ks. That's not particularly stimulating - economically speaking or otherwise.

FAX

Extra Point
01-27-2008, 11:13 PM
What happened the last tax rebate? Gas prices shot up.

As soon as you've got your refund check, watch for $3.50 per gallon at the pump. Forever.

Iowanian
01-27-2008, 11:21 PM
It was done to get people to pump money back into the economy. Whether they use it to buy things or pay off debt and buy things w/ the money they would have been paying that debt with...same thing

Thanks capt obvious.

What about the dumbasses who take that "free money" and put $600 down on a $5000 TV they can't pay for in the long run?

Don't get me wrong....I understand the thinking to what they're doing, trying to stave off a recession and all. If I get a check, I'll happily use the money and will put it back into the economy in the wisest way I can for my family, but Simplex is right. Without other concessions, like budget cuts by the fed, its temporary.

I've been using an annecdote lately about people who are knee deep in shit while standing in a box, and they gladly spend each day proclaiming that they've dug enough to keep it knee deep. I'm the kind of guy that wants to fix the hole that is making the shit come in in the first place, dig all of the shit out, and with clean feet, get started on another problem solving adventure.

I'm becoming more an more of a fan of the idea of a fair or flat tax.

Demonpenz
01-27-2008, 11:28 PM
i have a couple of Credit cards maxed out so hopefully i can make the min on a couple of those.

Rain Man
01-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Since I'm a business owner, the government has decided that I shouldn't get a rebate so I can create more jobs. Instead, they're going to give my money to families with children so they can buy lead-based toys and advance the Chinese economy.

Stupid government. Always spitting on the business owners. That's why I vote against every single tax that's put up. I'm going to starve the b*****ds out.

MTG#10
02-15-2008, 04:54 PM
My locker combination - no joke - that year was 9/11/01. And no, I'm not making that up.

Why didnt you warn someone? You could have been a hero...

JohninGpt
02-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Just to be on the safe side, what's your combination now?

Got anything good in there?
Signed,
Laptopclub83

Adept Havelock
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Just to be on the safe side, what's your combination now?

Got anything good in there?
Signed,
Laptopclub83

LMAO

Nice.

Rain Man
02-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Federal funding for public education would be gone. Immediately.

I presume that you'll also eliminate the legal requirement for children to attend school? Or will you just be the politician who leaves this unfunded mandate on the books to force people to spend their own money?

DaFace
02-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Yep. The money you earned once already, and they're ever-so-graciously giving you some of back, is once again "income".

It's f**king magical.

For what it's worth, this is 100% false. I've seen it specifically addressed here and there, but here's one example:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/12/BUOAV0BJP.DTL (see the fourth question toward the bottom)

dj56dt58
02-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks capt obvious.

If its so obvious to you then what you said didnt make much sense..