PDA

View Full Version : Mangino has been in Lawrence Hospital since Sunday

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Can't believe this didn't leak. Looks like he is being released today. Hope he's OK!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3219705

Mangino to be released from hospital after undergoing tests
Associated Press

Updated: January 28, 2008, 11:43 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Kansas coach Mark Mangino was expected to be released from a Lawrence hospital and return to work on Tuesday after undergoing tests.

Jim Marchiony, Kansas' associate athletic director, told The Associated Press he did not think the situation was a medical emergency for Mangino, who led the Jayhawks to a school-record 12-1 mark and an Orange Bowl victory over Virginia Tech. The 51-year-old was selected as the national coach of the year.

Close friends and family members have been concerned for years that Mangino's weight might one day pose a health concern. He is substantially overweight, and Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins has talked with him about considering gastric bypass surgery similar to what Perkins underwent in 2002.

"I underwent some tests over the past couple of days at Lawrence Memorial Hospital," he said in a statement released by the school on Monday night. "These are tests that I had put off until after the season. The tests have been completed, I'm fine and I'll be back in the office and recruiting starting [Tuesday]."

Marchiony said he did not believe Mangino's condition was in any way alarming.

"I know he plans to come back to work tomorrow," he said on Monday.

Mangino was Oklahoma's offensive coordinator before becoming Kansas' head coach.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:03 AM
It is only a matter of time before his weight causes him some big problems though.

NewChief
01-29-2008, 09:03 AM
That guy needs to seriously examine his health. He's a rising star, and it would be a shame for him to come crashing down due to health problems.

Kylo Ren
01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
He's getting the lap band surgery.

Eleazar
01-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't understand how the other people there, his family, anybody could let him keep being that way... send him in for the lap band. the guy is probably, what, 55? And his heart's got a lot more years worth of work on it than that. They need to do something before he just keels over one day.

Mr. Kotter
01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

Link? :shrug:

ILikeBigTiddys
01-29-2008, 09:30 AM

I hope so.

Braincase
01-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't understand how the other people there, his family, anybody could let him keep being that way... send him in for the lap band. the guy is probably, what, 55? And his heart's got a lot more years worth of work on it than that. They need to do something before he just keels over one day.

51. I hope he's taking steps to insure that he has a long and happy life.

blaise
01-29-2008, 10:04 AM
He ate an orange while he was in Florida. His body went into a state of shock because ingesting fruit or vegetables was alien to it.
Mangino will be fine. The hospital hooked him up with a milkshake and bacon fat IV drip to get him right.

Eleazar
01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
51. I hope he's taking steps to insure that he has a long and happy life.

If he's been this big for his adult life, his heart's probably got 70 years with of miles on it, or more. Hopefully people talk some sense into him, get him to get the surgery once he's done recruiting and all.

WilliamTheIrish
01-29-2008, 11:32 AM
High mortality/morbidity rates for lap band surgeries. And it ain't a cure all.

Persons undergoing the surgery need pretty intensive psychological counseling before and after. The rates of success become greater when the surgery is accompanied by therapy and nutrional counseling.

Mangino has the means to make it successful. Good luck to him.

chasedude
01-29-2008, 11:58 AM
High mortality/morbidity rates for lap band surgeries. And it ain't a cure all.

Persons undergoing the surgery need pretty intensive psychological counseling before and after. The rates of success become greater when the surgery is accompanied by therapy and nutrional counseling.

Mangino has the means to make it successful. Good luck to him.

A coworker is going through issues with her lap band right now. She says it's very tough to cope with. About every month she goes in and the doc injects water through a port on her stomach. Injecting the water causes the band to grasp tighter on the stomach. She says after the "adjustment" it's nearly impossible to eat or drink anything. She complains about loosing hair because she's not keeping up on her nutritional supplements. Tough thing to go through, but you are right WilliamTheIrish, counseling needs to be done all the way through the procedure.

RP_McMurphy
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
How many rooms is he in?

WilliamTheIrish
01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
A coworker is going through issues with her lap band right now. She says it's very tough to cope with. About every month she goes in and the doc injects water through a port on her stomach. Injecting the water causes the band to grasp tighter on the stomach. She says after the "adjustment" it's nearly impossible to eat or drink anything. She complains about loosing hair because she's not keeping up on her nutritional supplements. Tough thing to go through, but you are right WilliamTheIrish, counseling needs to be done all the way through the procedure.

Chase,

Hope it works out for her. Most folks don't realize the psychological makeup of folks that overeat. If they could stop, they would.

I only recently learned of the psych part of the condition. Really opened my eyes.

bowener
01-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Was there a crocodile orgy involved?

chasedude
01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Chase,

Hope it works out for her. Most folks don't realize the psychological makeup of folks that overeat. If they could stop, they would.

I only recently learned of the psych part of the condition. Really opened my eyes.

She seems to be happy with it. She's mentioned to me that she's lost nearly 60lbs in about 4 months time, great feat.

Yeah many don't realize food can be an addiction. Like any other addiction "drugs, alcohol" counseling needs to happen.

ChiefaRoo
01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Seriously guys, Mangino won't make it much past 60. He's at least 100lbs overweight.

FringeNC
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
When a recruit comes in for a visit, can he be confident Mangino will still be alive when he's a senior?

blaise
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
He's not that fat. It's just that when he's on TV the camera adds 430 pounds.

Kylo Ren
01-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Link? :shrug:.......just a prediction.

Boyceofsummer
01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
more conventional manner. He is in the zenith of popularity. NutriSystemŽ would be a goldmine for both.

HemiEd
01-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Seriously guys, Mangino won't make it much past 60. He's at least 100lbs overweight.

I am no expert, but for his height I would say he is closer to 300 lbs. overweight.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-29-2008, 05:14 PM

He's about 280 pounds overweight.

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
How much does he weigh?

HemiEd
01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
How much does he weigh?

Just looking at him, I would say he is just south of 500.

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Just looking at him, I would say he is just south of 500.
Wow! I'll bet when he gets on a scale it says "one at a time please"

kstater
01-29-2008, 05:31 PM
How much does he weigh?

He doesn't know. He can't see the numbers on the scale.

But on a more serious note, he is one heck of a coach and I hope his physical problems impede on what should be a decent coaching career.

Methamphetamine
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
"If he dies, he dies"- Ivan Drago

HemiEd
01-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow! I'll bet when he gets on a scale it says "one at a time please"

No doubt. He has accomplished a lot and should be able to shed some serious weight if he puts his mind to it.

ChiefaRoo
01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
No doubt. He has accomplished a lot and should be able to shed some serious weight if he puts his mind to it.

I've never seen the guy in person and TV doesn't accurately put things to scale. If you guys are telling me he weighs nearly 400lbs and stands less than 6'-1" he's nearly dead already.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I've never seen the guy in person and TV doesn't accurately put things to scale. If you guys are telling me he weighs nearly 400lbs and stands less than 6'-1" he's nearly dead already.

I would say he tops 400 pounds for sure. I am not sure about his height, but I would guess under 6'.

He may be nearly dead, but he is still one hell of a coach.

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Then somebody will come steal him from us.

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 09:13 PM
I would say he tops 400 pounds for sure. I am not sure about his height, but I would guess under 6'.

He may be nearly dead, but he is still one hell of a coach.
Heh. KU was going to fire him if he didn't make a bowl this season.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Heh. KU was going to fire him if he didn't make a bowl this season.

So you're saying you don't think he's a good coach?

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
So you're saying you don't think he's a good coach?
How did you come up with that? Perkins was adamant that he needed a winning season to survive. I think he is good enough to get lured away if he weren't so obese.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:23 PM
How did you come up with that? Perkins was adamant that he needed a winning season to survive. I think he is good enough to get lured away if he weren't so obese.

Cool, that's what I hoped you meant. Just didn't know how to read your post. I though you were saying people are only calling him a good coach because we won the Orange Bowl this year. I agree on the part about teams luring him away if he loses weight though.

Spott
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't think the guy wants to lose weight. He has plenty of trainers, exercise equipment, etc. at his disposal yet he chooses not to utilize it.

Skip Towne
01-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Cool, that's what I hoped you meant. Just didn't know how to read your post. I though you were saying people are only calling him a good coach because we won the Orange Bowl this year. I agree on the part about teams luring him away if he loses weight though.
I was horrified when I learned we hired him. Just because of his appearance. He was OU's head recruiter and OC but I still didn't want him. It is probably why he is still here. We lost Glen Mason to .....gasp.....Minnesota and another good HC to Pittsburgh. Almost every big school is more attractive to HC's than KU.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
I was horrified when I learned we hired him. Just because of his appearance. He was OU's head recruiter and OC but I still didn't want him. It is probably why he is still here. We lost Glen Mason to .....gasp.....Minnesota and another good HC to Pittsburgh. Almost every big school is more attractive to HC's than KU.

Maybe that changed with Perkins though.

That, and the fact that we now are relevant. At least for this year. That Orange Bowl win could carry us for a few years as at least a respectable gig.