PDA

View Full Version : Johan Santana Traded to Mets

doomy3
01-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Good news for the Royals that we don't have to face him several times a year. The deal is done, but contingent on Santana agreeing to a long term extension in the next 48 hours. The Twins do get some good prospects in Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber.

Here is a link on Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2993

Johan Santana-S- Twins Jan. 29 - 4:29 pm et

USA Today believes the Mets have landed Johan Santana from the Twins for Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Kevin Mulvey and Philip Humber.

A contract extension would still have to be worked out, so even if it is officially agreed to, this will likely linger through Friday at least. It's a pretty disappointing day for Twins fans. Both packages being discussed by the Red Sox and Yankees during the winter meetings seemed more attractive to us. Gomez and Guerra are big-time talents, but Gomez lacks plate discipline and might not fit in the top half of the lineup and an awful lot could go wrong before Guerra even sniffs the majors. Mulvey and Humber are third starters at best and probably more like fourths. It's a whole lot better than losing Santana for draft picks next winter, but we'd have taken a Phil Hughes or Jacoby Ellsbury package over this.
Source: USATODAY.com

doomy3
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Johan Santana-S- Twins Jan. 29 - 5:14 pm et

SI.com and FOXSports.com are confirming that the Mets and Twins have agreed to a Johan Santana trade and that the 72-hour window for a contract extension is in place.

According to Jon Heyman, people familiar with the Mets thinking say they'd like to keep it to a five-year contract while Santana is believed to be seeking a deal for six or seven years. Still, we doubt it'd go this far and then fall apart over money. Each team in the running for Santana had a pretty good idea of what it would take to sign him. Heyman also adds that the teams discussed possibly substituting reliever Jorge Sosa for Philip Humber in recent days, so Twins fans at least have a little something for which to be thankful.
Source: SI.com

kstater
01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
He wouldn't know because you've bumped about 30 threads. Why you get a kick out of this amazes me.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 06:55 PM
He wouldn't know because you've bumped about 30 threads. Why you get a kick out of this amazes me.

Yep, my fault. Missed it towards the end of the second page.

MODS, PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD, AND Methamphetamine.

Thanks in advance.

acesn8s
01-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Woo hoo!

Hydrae
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
If the nazi mods never banned me before for no reason, I wouldn't be so much of a dick. I am just a simple Chiefs fan that bleeds red and gold and wants to be a part of this community.

A member of a community does not go around yelling at people and using extremely offensive language if they want to remain a member of said community.

Or in other words, grow the **** up!

ChiefsCountry
01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
If the nazi mods never banned me before for no reason, I wouldn't be so much of a dick. I am just a simple Chiefs fan that bleeds red and gold and wants to be a part of this community.

They ban you bc you act like a jackass with all the racial slurs and other shit you post.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 06:59 PM

You add absolutely no value to this board. You are a douche nozzle. That is why they constantly ban you.

seclark
01-29-2008, 07:01 PM
meth is bad, mkay?
i'm w/the nazi mods on this one.
sec

Eleazar
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM

a good way to avoid banning is to not be a retart.

Adept Havelock
01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I am just a simple Chiefs fan that bleeds red and gold and wants to be a part of this community.

You have quite a way to climb up the intellectual ladder before you qualify as "simple".

teedubya
01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
**** ALL YOU GUYS, I BLEED RED AND GOLD, not so much Gold, because if I did, I would scoop it up and make a cool necklace from it.

88TG88
01-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Johan better work out because the Mets gave away some real nice prospects to get him.

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Johan better work out because the Mets gave away some real nice prospects to get him.

You have to do that to get the best pictcher in baseball who is still very young, and happens to be lefthanded.

Priest4Prez
01-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Duplicate thread DUMBSHIT
Is it really that big of a deal?

doomy3
01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

Ah, it's OK. He's the biggest douchebag in the history of douchebaggery, narrowly edging out Hootie and findthedr.

Meth/Marlboro Man edges them out though because they're just stupid and Marlboro is stupid and a racist dickweed.

Priest4Prez
01-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I am sort of bummed that Johan didn't go to to the bosox. they would have been unstoppable with him in the rotation. The Mets need him though

doomy3
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I am sort of bummed that Johan didn't go to to the bosox. they would have been unstoppable with him in the rotation. The Mets need him though

Yeah, that's kind of what I was hoping for too. Would have been cool to see that team roll through the AL East this year.

Although, I like the Mets a lot too with Wright, Reyes, Beltran, etc. They should be fun to watch this year.

The Bad Guy
01-29-2008, 10:28 PM

Nice?

Yes.

Real nice?

No.

Guerra is still about 3 years away. He has one pitch - a fastball. He has no breaking stuff. He could develop that, but that's a big if.

Gomez has speed, great glove, but hasn't developed a sense of the strike zone yet. If he does, he'll be good for the Twins. If not, he's a pinch runner late in games and a defensive sub.

Humber has fallen off the map since 2 years ago. His stuff never impressed me and I'm happy to see him go.

Mulvey is a guy who projects at best to be a Jon Garland-type pitcher.

This is a steal for the Mets. They kept Fernando, and Pelfrey, and added the best arm in baseball.

Santana in the NL is going to be insanely good.

Eleazar
01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Sounds like the Mets got the better end of this, which is good for us.

Demonpenz
01-30-2008, 12:28 AM
We are still going to get our brains beat in. I wonder how the fans will feel when the royals loose 100 this year

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Looking at the minor league splits for the prospects that the Mets gave up, I'm wondering WTF the Twins were thinking. Nothing like trading for three pitchers who were .500 together in mid-level minor league ball, and what seems like a middling outfielder.

Demonpenz
01-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Looking at the minor league splits for the prospects that the Mets gave up, I'm wondering WTF the Twins were thinking. Nothing like trading for three pitchers who were .500 together in mid-level minor league ball, and what seems like a middling outfielder.

records don't mean as much to me as what the scouts say. What kind of velocity, repeatable delivery, etc, I would trust the twins scouting department to know what the hell they are doing.

Demonpenz
01-30-2008, 12:38 AM
In a video game geek moment I am in year 5 or six of mvp 2005 baseball and santana not only throws 103 miles an hour he has 99 curve ball that breaks out of the screen and a change up that looks like the 103 fastball but is just slow enough you swing and miss.

Miles
01-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Sounds like the Mets got the better end of this, which is good for us.

What the will have to pay him will even things out some but I was still fairly surprised it didn't take an elite level prospect / young player to get him. I wonder if the Twins decided to take a little bit less to get him out of the AL?

Miles
01-30-2008, 12:43 AM
records don't mean as much to me as what the scouts say. What kind of velocity, repeatable delivery, etc, I would trust the twins scouting department to know what the hell they are doing.

Its not a very accurate reflection of ability major league level and means even less in the minors.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Its not a very accurate reflection of ability major league level and means even less in the minors.

When guys have sub .500 records in the minors, and mediocre ERAs, it doesn't bode well for their success...it's not like some of these guys have played one year in A ball and were told "Hey, throw your split on every two strike count today" to get work in. One of them was a 2004 draft pick (third overall), another already has two years plus in the minors.

I think the Twins got royally boned on this one.

Miles
01-30-2008, 12:57 AM
I think the Twins got royally boned on this one.

If does seem a lot like they overplayed the market then just took what was left. I seem to remember there being a strong rumor that the Twins were insisting on f*cking Jose Reyes last fall.

HolmeZz
When guys have sub .500 records in the minors, and mediocre ERAs, it doesn't bode well for their success...

Gee, really? You should probably check out Johan Santana's minor league numbers.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/johan-santana.shtml

Guerra's young and was in a relatively heavy hitters league. The velocity on his fastball has gone up almost 5 MPH since the Mets got him and his changeup has developed into a tremendous pitch. You don't judge guys down there by raw numbers. You do it mostly by tools and potential they're showing.

Mecca
If you want to look at minor league pitching stats are a couple that you look at more than any other to determine success at the MLB level and if the guy has it or not.

K/9 K/BB ratio Whip stats like that are a lot more telling than ERA or wins.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Gee, really? You should probably check out Johan Santana's minor league numbers.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/johan-santana.shtml

Guerra's young and was in a relatively heavy hitters league. The velocity on his fastball has gone up almost 5 MPH since the Mets got him and his changeup has developed into a tremendous pitch. You don't judge guys down there by raw numbers. You do it mostly by tools and potential they're showing.

Guys considered great prospects aren't left open for Rule 5. Santana was a diamond in the rough.

HolmeZz
01-30-2008, 01:06 AM
He wasn't a highly touted prospect, but that had nothing to do with your argument. You said it didn't bode well for future success.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-30-2008, 05:26 PM
He wasn't a highly touted prospect, but that had nothing to do with your argument. You said it didn't bode well for future success.

It has everything to do with my argument. You say that the prospects the Mets gave up for Santana have favorable splits as compared to him. If he was considered such a can't miss prospect, such an elite chip, why was someone with his tools and stats put up for Rule 5?

How are these guys in any way better looking than Santana, since you yourself admitted that their splits look very similar.

If they have splits that are on par with a guy who was put up for Rule 5, why would someone think that these guys are going to be productive pitchers? Rule 5 players are like NFL practice squad players. Some will end up being very productive pros. Most will end up bagging groceries.

Your comparison is bunk.

L.A. Chieffan
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't care if they're sending them the next potential Nolan Ryan and Albert Pujols the issue is Johan already IS a stud.

You're trading away the best pitcher this century for some unknowns. There's not much the Twins can do other than hope

Simply Red
01-30-2008, 05:30 PM
bad news for Braves fans everywhere.

eazyb81
02-01-2008, 03:53 PM
8 minutes until the deadline and still no deal.......

HolmeZz
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
The deadline is 7 PM EST. Got extended.

Eleazar
02-01-2008, 04:25 PM
It has everything to do with my argument. You say that the prospects the Mets gave up for Santana have favorable splits as compared to him. If he was considered such a can't miss prospect, such an elite chip, why was someone with his tools and stats put up for Rule 5?

Yeah... that kind of makes you wonder, if he was not protected from Rule 5, then not only did the Mets miss on this stud prospect, but no other team in the league recognized it either.

HolmeZz
02-01-2008, 04:37 PM

When the hell did I say Santana was a can't miss prospect? I think I said he wasn't very highly regarded.

How are these guys in any way better looking than Santana, since you yourself admitted that their splits look very similar.

I never compared anybody directly with Santana. You said something about numbers at low levels not boding well for future success. I brought up Santana, who had really bad minor league numbers, which was probably part of why he got left unprotected.

If you are trying to add Guerra into the equation, his numbers are much better than Santana's were at similar levels, which is why I don't understand why you'd be bashing Guerra(who's minor league numbers are perfectly fine).

Your comparison is bunk.

Yeah, you still don't get it. You said having minor league numbers like Guerra's don't bode well for future success(eventhough his numbers are fine). And I brought up Santana, who's numbers in the lower minors were terrible.

doomy3
02-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Well, it sounds like they agreed to the extension. I think I could live on $150 MIL pretty comfortably.

Johan Santana-S- Twins Feb. 1 - 7:36 pm et

Johan Santana reportedly will make $150.75 million over the next seven years under the terms of his deal with the Mets.

Santana was already owed $13.25 million for 2008, so this is a six-year, $137.5 million extension. He's expected to get $7 million in the form of a signing bonus.
Source: SI.com
Related: Mets