PDA

View Full Version : What ? Screw Time Warner ........

ROYC75
01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080131/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cable_bill

Tornado victim billed for cable devices

Thu Jan 31, 5:24 PM ET

WHEATLAND, Wis. - Having a tornado demolish her home was bad enough. But when Ann Beam received a $2,000 cable bill a few weeks later, she was floored. "I just couldn't believe it," Beam said. "I was like, 'What are they thinking?'"

Time Warner Cable billed a number of Wheatland residents for equipment destroyed in the Jan. 7 twister that struck the southeast corner of the state. Beam's bill covered five cable boxes and five remote controls.

She immediately called the cable company, but a man who identified himself as a manager said there was nothing the company could do.

"They said I would have to take the bill and turn it in to my insurance company," Beam said.

But her cable equipment was nine years old, and the insurance company would pay only a depreciated value that wouldn't cover her bill, she said.

Time Warner Cable spokeswoman Celeste Flynn said many customers got charged for unreturned equipment because they canceled or transferred their service without mentioning their requests were tornado-related.

"We understand this is an unusual situation," Flynn said Wednesday. "All they will need to do is call and we will take the equipment off their account."

A message left for the cable company by The Associated Press early Thursday afternoon was not immediately returned.

Rare winter tornadoes that destroyed more than two dozen homes and damaged nearly 80 others in Kenosha County on Jan. 7. The damage was estimated at $18 million.

Bugeater
01-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Who the hell still uses cable boxes? Pretty much every TV made in the last 20 years is cable ready.

KcMizzou
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Who the hell still uses cable boxes? Pretty much every TV made in the last 20 years is cable ready.:hmmm: I'm confused.

I have two digital/HDTV boxes. Obviously the TV's are cable-ready... I'm just not sure what that has to do with it.

Got one in a bedroom with the cable run straight into it. With that, you get no digital, premium channels, or HD though.

kstater
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Who the hell still uses cable boxes? Pretty much every TV made in the last 20 years is cable ready.

Digital cable? :shrug:

Bugeater
01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Digital cable? :shrug:
The equipment in question was nine years old, was digital cable around that long ago?

Valiant
01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
The equipment in question was nine years old, was digital cable around that long ago?

I have had cable internet since 2000 so maybe..

And Time Warner said to file a claim that it was tornado related and they would take care of the charges.. Seems to me these people forgot to tell TW what happened.. Which I can understand after having their homes and lives ruined..

Time Warner will make right.. If not, then yeah.. A big **** you them..

kstater
01-31-2008, 08:39 PM

Yes

Bugeater
01-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Yes
I don't think it has been around here that long. Of course we just got running water a few months ago.

BigMeatballDave
01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
The equipment in question was nine years old, was digital cable around that long ago?Well, when I lived in KC, I remember American Cablevision upgrading to digital. This was in '95 or '96.

seclark
01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
the warranty on the rabbit ears was void, because it seemed as though someone had wrapped aluminum foil on the unit.
sec

Reerun_KC
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Sweet, Rock on Cable companies... Keep hosing your customers! You so rock...

To bad I have to suffer with Direct TV, poor poor me!

Phobia
01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you need(ed) a cable box to order movies and PPV.

Valiant
01-31-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty sure you need(ed) a cable box to order movies and PPV.

Nice tv's come with a cable card that you can get from your provider..

FRCDFED
01-31-2008, 09:35 PM
I am not an advocate of cable companies because I think it is quite a racket; however, everyone knows that if you cancel your service then you have to turn in the equipment. If you don't then as you can tell, you get a bill.

The cable company can't guess whether or not the equip was damaged in a natural disaster. They have to be told. I can also understand their desire to request the homeowner file a claim with their insurance carrier to replace the equipment. After all, it should have been covered whether it was at a depreciated value or not. Just give the cable company the value as determined by the insurance company.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Nice tv's come with a cable card that you can get from your provider..

you still need a cable box to order PPV, on demand, and get the onscreen guide. current cable cards are uni-directional.

Skip Towne
01-31-2008, 11:36 PM
The cable companies are arrogant today. But not as much since 1994 when satellite TV became available. Before they showed up cable companies were unbearable dickheads.