PDA

View Full Version : Rounds 1 through 3

FRCDFED
02-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I know we have had a number of "mock draft" threads posted most of which have us taking either Jake Long, OT, or Matt Ryan, QB, in round 1.

Knowing that we NEED three immediate starters on the OL as well as CB, DT, WR, and potentially a QB (I still think Croyle can pan out), our first three rounds need to result in immediate starters to turn this team around.

I am not familiar with all of the available college players so I will conced that to those who have done more research.

Please tell me who could be drafted (and potentially would be available when we are on the clock in each round) that could/should/would be able to step in and start as a rookie in rounds 1 -3.

I would like to see us get:

Round 1: Jake Long or another starting OT

Round 2: OT or OG (please help me with a quality starter that would be available.

Round 3: CB

(bonus) BAP at WR in Round 4.

FRCDFED
02-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Also, I wouldn't be opposed to trading out of the 5 spot with a team that has two first rounders. The only problem is that the Doncholes need OL as well and I wouldn't want a top OL to go to them ahead of us that we would've otherwise gotten.

JohnnyRingo
02-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Also, I wouldn't be opposed to trading out of the 5 spot with a team that has two first rounders. The only problem is that the Doncholes need OL as well and I wouldn't want a top OL to go to them ahead of us that we would've otherwise gotten.

yep, so in essence were traiding a HIGH BPA for two low BPA's. with OL that shoudlnt be as bad with the assumption that a good OT will fall to the 2nd. so the only hope is if we do that whomever we get had better not bust....and i dont want ELLIS to fall to the broncos!

Micjones
02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm thinking...
R1 OT
R2 WR/G
R3 CB

But of course we should be mindful of the board and who is available. And perhaps trade up or down accordingly.

If Jake Long is gone at 5 I think I trade down to 15 and pick up another #2. We can go Rodgers-Cromartie/Manningham in the Second and maybe look for LB/DT help in the 3rd.

DJ_is_the_realdeal
02-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I think it will go..

1. Jake Long if he is not there and Sedrick Ellis is still there. Grab him we can get a LT in the second round. Can you imagine the one on one's that Ellis would create for Tamba and Jared.
2.CB
3.OG or C

JohnnyRingo
02-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I think it will go..

1. Jake Long if he is not there and Sedrick Ellis is still there. Grab him we can get a LT in the second round. Can you imagine the one on one's that Ellis would create for Tamba and Jared.
2.CB
3.OG or C

yes that would actualy give the chiefs a good opening to the 08 draft. however i fear they might fear the though of having a good draft just as much as a bad one :BLVD:

Direckshun
02-01-2008, 06:53 PM
1 DT
2 OT
3 WR

Rain Man
02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
We should go

1. OT
2. OT
3. OT

and then start all three of them at tackle.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
This is gonna be great...

If some of you get your way and they take OT, CB and OG...everyone will be going apeshit by week 6. Because well while needing those positions none of them will have great impact on this team because of how overall horrible it is.

Of course on the other hand picking a DT that can actually be dominant would make the rest of the defense better where you could start a crappy corner and manage for a year...oh wait nevermind that's to logical.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
We should go

1. OT
2. OT
3. OT

and then start all three of them at tackle.

And we won't win anymore games next year because well this team sucks at basically every position, not just that one.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Dude Jake Long is not going to make the Chiefs a top 15 offense. He is 1 man on a whole line, even if he was as good as you proclaim ( which he isn't by the way) the Chiefs would still be a crappy offensive team.

The Chiefs are better off going for a top 3 defense with a top 15 offense approach with this coach and with who the players they have are.

I think some people still think Vermiels coaching and we're gonna be all offense.

JohnnyRingo
02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
1 DT
2 OT
3 WR

maybe a RT in the 3rd and WR 4th? im high on Nelson!

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:24 PM
LOL......uh we have 1 WR, that's great huh 1 guy. If you want a comparison..the Buffalo Bills..and they have Jason Peters who made the pro bowl as a LT with similiar offensive personnel..you think their offense is good? Oh yea it's not....

And the defense is about average, people thought it would get better last year....it was 9 yards better, how impressive.

JohnnyRingo
02-01-2008, 07:24 PM
And we won't win anymore games next year because well this team sucks at basically every position, not just that one.
yep its as simple as 2 + 2 :clap:

hey our D is mediocre and we have no offense but dam we lead the league in OT depth ;)

Brock
02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
With the Chiefs luck, the best player on the board will be McFadden. And guess what, if that's the case, you draft him.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
With the Chiefs luck, the best player on the board will be McFadden. And guess what, if that's the case, you draft him.

I wouldn't even blink at that either, since well unlike some people the realistic nature of the situation is Larry Johnson is going to be a declining player with injury problems for the rest of his career.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I can't wait for when the Chiefs draft Jake Long and then it becomes his fault Brodie Croyle can't win games....or that Larry Johnson still doesn't look good even though it in reality won't be his fault...

You are giving the Chiefs offensive players way to much credit to think 1 lineman is going to make them that much better....use my Bills example it applies.

Brock
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Its all about winning a superbowl, IMO. The chiefs are better going with a BALANCED team. The chiefs offense is below 30th and wont get to top 15 without better players upfront (oline).

By golly, we need to get back to 8-8 right away.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
By golly, we need to get back to 8-8 right away.

Let's not draft the best overall player, let's draft a LT no matter what!

Willie Roaf ruined everyones perception of a team, now everyone thinks you have to have that to win games. Just like the Tony Richardson bullshit, if I never read another post about drafting a FB it won't be to soon.

JohnnyRingo
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM

if McFad's on the board i would hope we could find a trade scenerio. i would love to see him with us but thats more of a want than a need. i think the shock of a well rounded back in KC might be too much shock for the fans..

Rasputin
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
I'll be happy to get either Ellis or Jake Long, both players would be a huge upgrade to our team.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I love how you are ignoring a blatant example I used...tackle that one, there's no way to spin it.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I'll be happy to get either Ellis or Jake Long, both players would be a huge upgrade to our team.

I'd rather make both lines better not one, that's why I don't like taking Long first...

Tribal Warfare
02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I love how you are ignoring a blatant example I used...tackle that one, there's no way to spin it.

Dude, it's useless trying to rationalize with him it's like talking to a brick wall with fanboy Jake Long Wallpaper on it.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Dude, it's useless trying to rationalize with him it's like talking to a brick wall with fanboy Jake Long Wallpaper on it.

He must be carrying Jake Longs baby.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Well until you address a blatant example I used I'm going to guess that you have nothing of interest to provide.

Rasputin
02-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I'd rather make both lines better not one, that's why I don't like taking Long first...

I definitely agree with you on this, I still would be happy to get either of the two. I've been dreaming about what it would be like to have Ellis with JA and Tamba & Tank that is a sollid D line unit. I also dream about having Jake Long with Brian Waters and , and, and who ever else we get vi draft or FA but Jake Long would be great too for this offense to get going.

We are desperate for O-lineman, not D-lineman but I do agree with you that we can upgrade both with Ellis in the first and BA LT in the second.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Superbowl LTs and where they were drafted.
Dating back to SB 31.
Out of the last 18 LTs, 12 of them were drafted in the 1st round. 12!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=179201

Quit ignoring the example and posting the same shit over and over.

How is Jason Peters a pro bowl tackle making Buffalos offense good? You are advocating that Long will do that for the Chiefs when Buffalo has similar personnel with a pro bowl LT and they are not a good offense. Hell I could argue their line across the board is better yet their offense still is pedestrian.

It's slightly better but not much...and I doubt Jake Long will be as good as Peters early on.

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I would take Long only if Ellis or Dorsey is gone.

Halfcan
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Dude Jake Long is not going to make the Chiefs a top 15 offense. He is 1 man on a whole line, even if he was as good as you proclaim ( which he isn't by the way) the Chiefs would still be a crappy offensive team.

The Chiefs are better off going for a top 3 defense with a top 15 offense approach with this coach and with who the players they have are.

I think some people still think Vermiels coaching and we're gonna be all offense.

d FENSE ALL THE WAY

Mecca
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
And the "oh we have to have a LT" argument despite this team not in any position to contend and needing every position you can think of....

Kinda funny how some haven't learned this is how we've had bad drafts in the past.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
take your own advice.

Spin that example lets see you do it, you know why you aren't...because you can't.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Until you tackle that example your opinion doesn't mean shit....you are ignoring it now because well it makes you look bad.

Tribal Warfare
02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
I would take Long only if Ellis or Dorsey is gone.

Chris Long too

bowener
02-01-2008, 08:36 PM
I want Matt Ryan, he is ubberman.

bowener
02-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I dont really give a shit who we pick at this point, it all means jack shit till after the combine. After that we will know who is serious about the NFL and who worked out all this time and worked on their game. I see meccas argument for sure, and I see findthedr's as well. I think he is thinking we could have a situation similar to Cleveland after they drafted Joe Thomas, I dont think anyone here would argue that he upped their lines ability this season. And yes I am aware they next argument is going to be, "well Jake Long isnt Joe Thomas, he is weaker here and stonger here...."

Mecca
02-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I dont really give a shit who we pick at this point, it all means jack shit till after the combine. After that we will know who is serious about the NFL and who worked out all this time and worked on their game. I see meccas argument for sure, and I see findthedr's as well. I think he is thinking we could have a situation similar to Cleveland after they drafted Joe Thomas, I dont think anyone here would argue that he upped their lines ability this season. And yes I am aware they next argument is going to be, "well Jake Long isnt Joe Thomas, he is weaker here and stonger here...."

To be in Clevelands situation we'd have to spend 150 million dollars on other Olineman in FA, no one ever mentions all the guys they signed.

bowener
02-01-2008, 08:44 PM
To be in Clevelands situation we'd have to spend 150 million dollars on other Olineman in FA, no one ever mentions all the guys they signed.
well mention them then. I dont know them, just that they got Bentley as a center.

ChiefsCountry
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Cleveland signed Bentley, got hurt and had to trade for Hank Fraley. Signed Eric Steinbach and Kevin Shaffer.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
They spent a bunch of money on Eric Steinbach and Kevin Shaffer...they also made a move for Hank Fraley due to Bentleys injury.

They spent a TON of money on that line, it wasn't just Joe Thomas.

bowener
02-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Cleveland signed Bentley, got hurt and had to trade for Hank Fraley. Signed Eric Steinbach and Kevin Shaffer.
Who are these guys? I am not going to pretend to know a damn thing about them. Are they average guys?? Superior to most, superior to gods? Are they retreads, stop gaps? I know it sounds like I am being a dick, I am really not, I just know jack shit about cleveland. What are the cap figures if you know off hand?

edit: also, thanks!

Mecca
02-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Um they're all good....

Steinbach was drafted by the Bengals at the top of the 2nd round as a Guard that means he's damn good.

On March 2, 2007, (the first day of the years NFL Free Agency period) the Browns signed Steinbach to a 7-year, $49.5 million contract (of which $17 million is guaranteed), making him one of the highest paid offensive lineman in the history of the game.

Bentleys deal made him the highest paid center in league history...

Kevin Shaffer Signed a seven-year, $36 million contract. The deal includes $12.5 in guarantees.

Rasputin
02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Um they're all good....

Steinbach was drafted by the Bengals at the top of the 2nd round as a Guard that means he's damn good.

On March 2, 2007, (the first day of the years NFL Free Agency period) the Browns signed Steinbach to a 7-year, $49.5 million contract (of which $17 million is guaranteed), making him one of the highest paid offensive lineman in the history of the game.

Bentleys deal made him the highest paid center in league history...

Kevin Shaffer Signed a seven-year, $36 million contract. The deal includes $12.5 in guarantees.

So is it safe to say that the Browns QB DA had better success do to the improvement of the O-line?

Mecca
02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't know why we talk about this crap anyway the Chiefs front office is incompetent when it comes to most things.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Quinn threw 8 passes......

The Browns are good because they have talent all over the field, at least on offense. Defense they need some more.

Rasputin
02-01-2008, 09:06 PM
yes, and same can be said about Brady Quinn

Of course they had time to throw the GD ball.

melbar
02-01-2008, 09:06 PM
We have 1 decent player out of 5 on the O-line and 3 of 4 on the D line. How does picking another D lineman make both better?
I really wouldnt be disappointed if we went DT in the first, but our D better hold our opponents to under 14 points if we dont make drastic improvements to our O-line because thats all we averaged last year. Not many D's in history have averaged below that.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
A dominant DT makes every other lineman better....ask the Titans. And how do the Chiefs have 3 out of 4...2 out of 4 is more right.

HemiEd
02-01-2008, 10:40 PM
It is time to draft best player available, period. I really don't give a shit that the best DLman is from USC, **** that. Tank and Turk need to step up, since the draft God of all time, Herm Edwards spent a 2nd and 3rd on them last year. Take McFadden if he is there, but hopefully, a couple starting OTs are available. If it is a corner, take him. The Chiefs need impact players at too many positions to be narrowing it down to two.

Tribal Warfare
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
It is time to draft best player available, period.

I've been saying this from the beginning

melbar
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
A dominant DT makes every other lineman better....ask the Titans. And how do the Chiefs have 3 out of 4...2 out of 4 is more right.

Boone turned out to be solid. OK not spectacular, but He and Hali are solid above average Linemen. Waters is the only solid O-lineman we have. Casey was great in the Vermeil system, but he's too small for what we're trying to run now.

Mecca
02-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Boones over 30 years old...

OnTheWarpath15
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM

Most of us have.

People think this is an Ellis v.Long thing.

It's not.

It's about VALUE, and using a Top 5 pick on the BPA.

This is an extremely deep draft for OL and CB.

If two players are rated equal, it would make more sense to take the one who plays the position with the shallowest draft pool. Use the depth of certain positions to your advantage.

HemiEd
02-02-2008, 12:05 AM

And nothing should change that! :thumb:

Extra Point
02-02-2008, 12:20 AM
BPA X 3. Odds of filling a gap are over 70%. But what position is the best value with the #1 pick? I tend to think that CB is that position, but I don't think that the crop of CB's is all that impressive. I'd take either Long or Ellis, but look at the same positions, and see who else may fill that slot.

After we've dumped the dough on Allen and LJ, then we have to be cheap with the rookies. I don't mind the back-paying strategy, but we need to fill the seats in 2009 with some wins in 2008.

chiefbowe82
02-02-2008, 01:03 AM
1 T
2 T
2 G
3 C
two second round choices, from trading down in first, fixed our o-line god that was easy

Micjones
02-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Best Player Available regardless of position is a recipe for failure for this franchise.

Drafting Darren McFadden would be the biggest mistake this team could possibly make.

CoMoChief
02-02-2008, 11:04 AM
1. DT Ellis
2. WR Bowman
3. OT Baker

FRCDFED
02-02-2008, 12:08 PM
FWIW I had chosen Long in the first because I felt he would be the BPA based on Ellis, Dorsey, Mcfadden, and Long going ahead of us. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the team take a stab at Ryan.

I would agree with some that we have the take the BPA. I have long been an advocate of that. Unfortunately though, if we are rebuilding then we have to see what we have at QB and we need to find out by the end of next season. Therefore, we have to keep Croyle upright and give the guy a chance. Otherwise, we could "waste" a pick on an alleged franchise QB when we already have one on our team.

Last time I checked, any QB who spent an enourmous amount of time on his back or on IR never received the label "franchise QB." It doesn't matter who we draft, they will never get labeled unless they have the opportunity to perform. Call them what you want when you draft them but if you can't protect them then they will inevitably fail.

If Ellis is the BPA when we pick then take him but keep in mind that our success is going to be directly attributed to being able to protect the QB. After all, he touches the ball on practically every offensive play.

We desperately need OL. At least two starters.

stonedstooge
02-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I think that a Celebrity Deathmatch is in order here. In this corner Mr. Mecca who wants all defensive selections, and in this corner Mr. Findthedr who would like to see all selections on the offensive side of the ball. O.k. men. My knowledge is Carl and Herm are f**kups and probably won't even pick any of the guys you are debating about. Thus everything being argued is mute. Remember who is in charge.

Tribal Warfare
02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Best Player Available regardless of position is a recipe for failure for this franchise.

:spock:

Brock
02-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Drafting Darren McFadden would be the biggest mistake this team could possibly make.

They've already made the biggest mistakes they could have made. Because of that, hey're not going to be immediately competitive anyway. So no, BPA is the way this team needs to go. Filling immediate needs through the draft is for teams that are one player away. The Chiefs are not.

Mecca
02-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I think that a Celebrity Deathmatch is in order here. In this corner Mr. Mecca who wants all defensive selections, and in this corner Mr. Findthedr who would like to see all selections on the offensive side of the ball. O.k. men. My knowledge is Carl and Herm are f**kups and probably won't even pick any of the guys you are debating about. Thus everything being argued is mute. Remember who is in charge.

Ah well I wish I could pick the players..my record is generally pretty good.

Mecca
02-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Excuse me? With my first pick? Uh no...because see I understand the value of picking players at where their slotted value is.