PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - Fans should be praying for Pats win

Hammock Parties
02-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Good stuff. I agree 100%.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7742260

PHOENIX - Let's begin by stating the obvious: Any disdain directed at the New England Patriots is born out of pure jealousy.

Yeah, Bill Belichick skirted the rules for a time and videotaped his opponents. And, yeah, the obscure "tuck" rule stole a Super Bowl appearance from the Raiders and fueled the early stages of the New England dynasty. And, for a while this season, the Patriots did take great delight in blasting their opponents well into the fourth quarter.

Sorry, those are not reasons to hate the Patriots. Neither is Belichick's gruff demeanor or rude post-game behavior with opposing coaches or intentionally stale comments to the media.

The Patriots are the perfect sports team. You cannot find a flaw or a legitimate reason to dislike them. They're not the Yankees, who simply outspend the opposition and pretend to have a strategic superiority.

Nope, if anything, the Patriots are Tiger Woods, everything we say we want in a champion. They're the ideal blend of talent, confidence, humility, hard work, intelligence and willingness to share the spotlight. They're what we all want our teams to be. We might as well admit it. Their success can only help our teams.

So why do so many people want to see the Giants upset the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII?

Well, that's not that difficult a question. Everyone loves the underdog, and most people get tired of seeing the same team win all the time. But there's also the issue of jealousy. I guess, you can be too perfect. That is the Patriots' sin. That sin should not make us overlook the potential blessing in store for the rest of us.

Tuesday afternoon during Super Bowl Media Day I listened for nearly an hour as reporters picked at Belichick's front-office partner, Scott Pioli, the club's vice president of player personnel, trying desperately to understand what makes the Patriots better than everyone else.

Pioli described a philosophy and approach that every sports fan says he wants his team to adopt. Pioli talked about not being a slave to numbers -- "forty" times, height and weight, vertical jump -- and selecting players with the proper character capable of accepting direction and coaching. Pioli talked about assembling a nucleus of players with the intellect to see the big picture and grasp what all it takes to win on a consistent basis.

The Patriots, if you believe Pioli, stress attitude over physical gifts. A player with the right attitude is more apt to adhere to Belichick's schemes and discipline.

In an era when sports fans believe athletes play the game for money -- not love -- the Patriots are a rare throwback. Star quarterback Tom Brady has never forced the Pats to pay him Peyton Manning-type money because Brady wants his team to have the salary-cap room to lock up a strong supporting cast. Hall of Fame linebacker Junior Seau, in pursuit of a ring, is willing to play for peanuts.

Belichick and Pioli selected a few key veterans -- Brady, Tedy Bruschi, Mike Vrabel, Richard Seymour -- and gave them ownership in the direction and locker-room culture of the club. Those players created an environment of personal responsibility and accountability that allows guys such as Randy Moss and Corey Dillon to come to New England and mature as players and men.

Rather than root against the Patriots, we should be rooting for the Patriots. They symbolize what we say we want in a professional sports team. Their continued dominance of the NFL gives us our best chance of restoring integrity and common sense to professional sports.

OK, I know that sounds comical to some of you, the ones who believe Belichick committed some sort of federal offense by taping Eric Mangini's defensive signals. I don't happen to view that as some sort of defining ethical lapse. The Patriots are not football's greatest dynasty because Belichick stole signals.

They're the best organization the NFL has ever seen because Belichick and Pioli are among just a handful of coaches and executives in the free-agency era willing to stick with their fundamental beliefs about what it takes to build a winning team.

Nearly everyone else bends and makes exception for talent.

Oh, it's easy for Belichick and Pioli to make tough decisions. They're playing with house money. They can cut loose their declining star players without raising an eyebrow. They don't have to put up with any player who refuses to conform.

It's a copy-cat league. You'll see more teams adopt the Patriots approach. If you're a Bengals fan and would like to see Marvin Lewis get rid of locker-room cancer Chad Johnson, then you should root for New England on Sunday. Oh, Johnson is a good player. But it's hard to build a winner with Johnson, who demands a renegotiated contract several times a season. Johnson is similar to Moss. You add Johnson to a winning organization, give him strict guidelines to follow, define clearly what you will and won't tolerate and he'll set records.

If you're a Chiefs fan, you want the Patriots to win because it's just one more piece of proof that drafting and developing a franchise quarterback is the key to building a consistent winner.

If you're a fan of the Raiders, well, never mind, just continue to pray that Roger Goodell will one day give Al Davis the Pacman Jones treatment and suspend the Oakland owner for conduct detrimental to the league.

pr_capone
02-02-2008, 02:42 AM

PHOENIX - Let's begin by stating the obvious: Any disdain directed at the New England Patriots is born out of pure jealousy.

HA!

Nope, if anything, the Patriots are Tiger Woods, everything we say we want in a champion. They're the ideal blend of talent, confidence, humility, hard work, intelligence and willingness to share the spotlight.

And that is where I stopped reading.

Throwing in the 4th quarter when you are up 30 is not humility. Going for 4th down when up 30 in the 4th is also not humility.

Bill the Bum is the antithesis of humility.

I did not realize you had started writing for Fox Wendler.... congrats on moving up the ladder.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2008, 02:43 AM
I did not realize you had started writing for Fox Wendler.... congrats on moving up the ladder.

Apparently you missed the thread title that said WHITLOCK.

02-02-2008, 02:46 AM
Apparently you missed the thread title that said WHITLOCK.
He is slow because of the meds tonight.

ClevelandBronco
02-02-2008, 02:52 AM
That's a well written, well thought out article.

I disagree that this Patriots team is the best organization ever. I'd give that honor to Paul Brown's teams in Cleveland in the AAFC and the NFL from the mid-40s to the mid '50s, but I have no other argument with the writer.

I will say that the Patriots are a wildly and improbably successful organization given the constraints of this era. A reasonable argument can be made for the recent and current Pats as the best organization of all time (even though I ultimately wouldn't agree).

ClevelandBronco
02-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Throwing in the 4th quarter when you are up 30 is not humility.

I don't get it. Does Tiger stop shooting the right shots when he can no longer lose?

Winning margin has nothing to do with humility or arrogance.

Coming out the next time after a big win and playing as if you still have something to prove to yourself is what real humility is all about.

keg in kc
02-02-2008, 02:57 AM
If you're a Chiefs fan, you want the Patriots to win because it's just one more piece of proof that drafting and developing a franchise quarterback is the key to building a consistent winner.That's an interesting perspective. The reality is that they've spent the following picks on QBs during the last decade:

Michael Bishop, 1999 7th round
Tom Brady (of course...), 2000 6th round
Rohan Davey, 2002, 4th round
Matt Cassel, 2005, 7th round

So would you call that a focus on "drafting and developing a franchise quarterback"? I'm not sure. Did one develop? Of course. But we're talking a Kurt Warner situation here. It was by chance, not by design.

What did New England do to get them where they are? Well, to start with, they had a few drafts with multiple first and second round picks (2 1sts/2 2nds in '98, 2 1sts in '99, 2 2nds in '03, 2 1sts in '04) - that's a far cry from the "big" Chiefs drafts where we have 10 picks, but 7 of them are 4ths and later...

Now, obviously, Brady developing impacted the draft, but what they did do is draft a lot of offensive linemen and tight ends, a bunch of defensive tackles, a few wide recievers and runningbacks, and several defensive backs.

In other words, they built strong lines, and then peppered a few other positions around.

One thing he said is valid, and I think very important, they've focused more on the concept of "team" than on talent. Corey Dillon and Randy Moss were the notable exceptions to that, but all in all, what they've done is go for character, and in free agency experience, over flash.

In the end, what I think the Chiefs need to do is #1 stop throwing picks away on coach and player trades, #2 find a way to parlay their picks into multiple early-round selections, if at all possible. Because, while I do think superstar players can be keys, I think a team like the Chiefs needs more than one or two guys; I think they need an infusion of talent across the board. I don't think I'd drop out of 4 or 5 this year, but I'd start to try to work on getting multiple picks in future drafts, and I'd starting doing it while we're on the clock in April. If that means trading away guys like Tony Gonzalez or Brian Waters, or even Jared Allen and Larry Johnson, I'd consider it. I'd at least listen to any offers that might come in. And, finally, they need to start hitting on most of their picks (and that might have started in 2006 and 2007). There was a ten year period where they wasted draft after draft, and that got them into the hole they've been in for most of the 21st century.

Rocket science it ain't.

pr_capone
02-02-2008, 02:58 AM
He is slow because of the meds tonight.

:p

Hammock Parties
02-02-2008, 02:59 AM
So would you call that a focus on "drafting and developing a franchise quarterback"?

Whitlock didn't use the word "focus." All he said is that developing a QB was a key. The Patriots have done that.

keg in kc
02-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Whitlock didn't use the word "focus." All he said is that developing a QB was a key. The Patriots have done that.And the point I'm making is that it was luck.

I'm not saying he's wrong that it's something we need to do, either, but the idea that the Patriots got Brady because their plan was to draft and develop a QB is arguable at best. He was an afterthought that they weren't expecting to develop into anything, and without that injury to Bledsoe his whole story would likely have never been written.

And, hey, maybe in the end that's something else the Chiefs need a little bit of going forward: luck.

pr_capone
02-02-2008, 03:06 AM
I don't get it. Does Tiger stop shooting the right shots when he can no longer lose?

Winning margin has nothing to do with humility or arrogance.

Coming out the next time after a big win and playing as if you still have something to prove to yourself is what real humility is all about.

The golf vs football analogy really does not go.

In golf, a player can (and they have) missed several critical shots on the 18th and grasped defeat from the jaws of victory.

Things don't work that way in football.

5 minutes left on the clock in the 4th, "the right shot" is to drain the clock. Protect the ball and your players... not chuck the ball down the field in big chunks and try to humiliate the opposing team.

There is a reason why teams rest their "star players" before the playoffs. Let them heal and not give them a chance to get hurt. Obviously, the streak was of greatest importance to the Pats and that is why we saw the star players suit up in week 17.

But then again.... who am I to use common sense against an undefeated team.

02-02-2008, 03:12 AM
:p
Just sayin. :D

ClevelandBronco
02-02-2008, 03:19 AM
The golf vs football analogy really does not go.

In golf, a player can (and they have) missed several critical shots on the 18th and grasped defeat from the jaws of victory.

Things don't work that way in football.

5 minutes left on the clock in the 4th, "the right shot" is to drain the clock. Protect the ball and your players... not chuck the ball down the field in big chunks and try to humiliate the opposing team.

There is a reason why teams rest their "star players" before the playoffs. Let them heal and not give them a chance to get hurt. Obviously, the streak was of greatest importance to the Pats and that is why we saw the star players suit up in week 17.

But then again.... who am I to use common sense against an undefeated team.

Well, that comparison was introduced in the original article (some cheer Tiger on while cheering for the Pats to lose) and I thought I'd just keep the conversation going that way.

I have no problem with utter domination in sports. I like to see Tiger destroy his competition, I like seeing the Patriots do the same. I enjoy watching Canadian hockey make a mockery of any other programs in existence.

Excellence is a fun thing to watch and learn.

pr_capone
02-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Well, that comparison was introduced in the original article (some cheer Tiger on while cheering for the Pats to lose) and I thought I'd just keep the conversation going that way.

I have no problem with utter domination in sports. I like to see Tiger destroy his competition, I like seeing the Patriots do the same. I enjoy watching Canadian hockey make a mockery of any other programs in existence.

Excellence is a fun thing to watch and learn.

Please don't misunderstand.... I *LOVE* a good shit kicking. lol

There is a line though between domination and stupidity.

Domination, at least to me, is defined by a 30 point lead going into the 4th quarter.

Stupidity... and lack of humility, at least to me, is putting your key players at risk of getting the f00k knocked out of them and loosing them for a long stretch of time because beating them by 30 is not good enough.

Not that I wish ill on any player on any team (for the most part), but how fitting would it have been for Brady to have his shoulder dislocated in week 17 just because Bill wanted to ensure that the Pats would go undefeated.

By that point, they had nothing to loose in letting Brady, Moss, Welker, and several other key players have a seat and save them for the playoffs.

They still had the 1st round bye and still had the #1 seed over all locked up.

Again though.... that is just me. I have not played or been involved in organized football in nearly a decade so I sure as hell am not a professional, nor a coach.

kcxiv
02-02-2008, 04:30 AM
I will admit it. I am jealous of them. Every other team's fans that do not win that year should be jealous of that. If your not, then why bother even watching the game?

I just know since i been a Chiefs fan at about the age of 15 or so. I only seen them get close once with Montana and Allen, but that was a long ass time ago. Its been very bleh since.

ClevelandBronco
02-02-2008, 04:33 AM
I will admit it. I am jealous of them. Every other team's fans that do not win that year should be jealous of that. If your not, then why bother even watching the game?

Because the game itself is a beautiful thing. And watching the Patriots play it the way they have is a historic privilege.

Chiefs_5627
02-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Because the game itself is a beautiful thing. And watching the Patriots play it the way they have is a historic privilege.

AMEN, nice post. :clap:

kcxiv
02-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Oh, i agree, but i have jealousy and envy that i could only dream my football team would do that. Hell, i would settle for a get there.

What i meant is why be a fan if your hope every year isnt to get to the promise land. I know its impossible, but just like the players you want to at least start out the season thinking. Hey, we have a chance this year.lol

02-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Oh, i agree, but i have jealousy and envy that i could only dream my football team would do that. Hell, i would settle for a get there.

What i meant is why be a fan if your hope every year isnt to get to the promise land. I know its impossible, but just like the players you want to at least start out the season thinking. Hey, we have a chance this year.lol
So mediocre isn't enough for you? Imagine that. :huh:

Nzoner
02-02-2008, 07:30 AM
Stupidity... and lack of humility, at least to me, is putting your key players at risk of getting the f00k knocked out of them and loosing them for a long stretch of time because beating them by 30 is not good enough.

Not that I wish ill on any player on any team (for the most part), but how fitting would it have been for Brady to have his shoulder dislocated in week 17 just because Bill wanted to ensure that the Pats would go undefeated.

By that point, they had nothing to loose in letting Brady, Moss, Welker, and several other key players have a seat and save them for the playoffs.

I think it's awesome that the two teams who had nothing to lose(in regards to making the play-offs) played their asses off in week 17 and look what they're playing in tomorrow.

ILChief
02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
I will root for whomever I want and I hate the New England Cheaters.

GO BIG BLUE!!!!

Deberg_1990
02-02-2008, 07:45 AM
The Patriots are the perfect sports team. You cannot find a flaw or a legitimate reason to dislike them.

What about the Spurs JW??

Oh wait, you thought they only reason they were good is because the Lakers Dynasty cracked....HAHAHAHAH

ILChief
02-02-2008, 07:46 AM

You mean watching them record their opponents signals and have every close call go their way?

I don't feel privileged.

Eleazar
02-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah, we recognize their greatness. As Chiefs fans though, greatness makes us uncomfortable. We've never seen it before, it's frightening.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-02-2008, 09:48 AM
The main reason I'm rooting for the Pats is so the 72 Dolphins will STFU FOREVER!

Spott
02-02-2008, 09:53 AM
And, yeah, the obscure "tuck" rule stole a Super Bowl appearance from the Raiders and fueled the early stages of the New England dynasty.

Actually, the tuck game was in the divisional round of the playoffs. Even if Oakland would have won that game, they would have had to travel to Pittsburgh the next week for the AFC Championship game.

blueballs
02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
lost me with the second jealousy card
zzzzzzzzz

Sure-Oz
02-02-2008, 10:50 AM
The main reason I'm rooting for the Pats is so the 72 Dolphins will STFU FOREVER!
I can't stand that guy venus mars or wtf his name is

Adept Havelock
02-02-2008, 10:54 AM

Precisely. I think even a perfectionist like old Vince would be impressed by this bunch.

You mean watching them record their opponents signals and have every close call go their way?

I don't feel privileged.

:deevee: :shake:

Sounds like ILChief has an epic case of:

Sure-Oz
02-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Also watching the giants make the biggest upset in history would be a historic priveledge :)

Consistent1
02-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Also watching the giants make the biggest upset in history would be a historic priveledge :)

In reality, I think they have little chance of doing that. I also believe that Plax should have just shut up. The Pats have responded well to people talking smack all year long. It also seems to me that they (Pats) will be happy to play in nicer weather again. I think that touchdown record could have been 3-5 higher if the last few games were in better conditions. That is part of they game, and he still beat it, but really didn't play that great the last few games. If all their games were in nice weather, or indoors, I think he would have set the passing yardage record too. Then having two weeks off to plan for the game will help them a ton. The Patriots did not get this far to lose, regardless of the last Giants game being too close. My guess is that they win buy a couple TD's, something like 35-21. It will be fun to watch no matter what.

stonedstooge
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Someone spoke of the beauty of football, having endzone lower level seats, watching the Chiefs offense was at most times a thing of beauty during the Vermeil years. It was awesome to see the plays develop on both running and passing plays. You could see each person performing their assignment and many plays were like poetry in motion. I just wish the defensive could have been just average. Many times the Chiefs could score at will but games were close because the opponent couldn't be stopped either.

el borracho
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Belichik is a great coach but I won't root for a man who cheats in all phases of his life. Adultery and industrial espionage are not admirable qualities. He is a despicable man and I hope he fails.

Silock
02-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Humility? The Patriots? Tell that to Brady.

"17 points? We're only going to put up 17 points? Yeah, okay."

DTLB58
02-02-2008, 02:22 PM

I would rather that these Patroits STFU

el borracho
02-02-2008, 02:27 PM

PHOENIX - You cannot find a flaw or a legitimate reason to dislike them.

They symbolize what we say we want in a professional sports team. Their continued dominance of the NFL gives us our best chance of restoring integrity and common sense to professional sports.
I'll give you two legitimate reasons not to like Belichik: adultery and industrial espionage. Anyone looking to Belichik for integrity is a fool.

kcxiv
02-02-2008, 02:57 PM
And the funny thing about this, is Belichik is going to go down as one of the if not the greatest coach of all time. What he's doing is amazing. His personal life is his personal life, but as a coach, 99.9 percent of the players would love to play for him.

Mecca
02-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Please don't misunderstand.... I *LOVE* a good shit kicking. lol

There is a line though between domination and stupidity.

Domination, at least to me, is defined by a 30 point lead going into the 4th quarter.

They still had the 1st round bye and still had the #1 seed over all locked up.

Again though.... that is just me. I have not played or been involved in organized football in nearly a decade so I sure as hell am not a professional, nor a coach.

So they shouldn't have played for undefeated? Are you nuts?

Also for people that want the Giants to win, that'll be far worse. The last thing I wanna hear about is the New York market talk about being underdogs and overcoming the odds....

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Chargers and Giants are just one Tom Brady away from winning a superbowl.

The difference between great and good teams is not a lot.

FRCDFED
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
So would you call that a focus on "drafting and developing a franchise quarterback"? I'm not sure. Did one develop? Of course. But we're talking a Kurt Warner situation here. It was by chance, not by design.

I disagree. While the level of Brady's success may have been underestimated I do not believe it was chance. From the moment he was drafted he worked hard with the coaches to "develop" into a quality starter. He did not have the physicality coming out of the draft but had the proper attitude which is the philosophy that is being preached. Brady spent a considerable amount of time working with Belicheck so they knew exactly what they had when Bledsoe went down. Belicheck would not have elevated Brady to the #2 QB position over Huard if he wasn't ready.

Also, Matt Cassel was a 7th round pick and I believe is now the backup to Brady. Are you going to say that NE isn't developing him to be a quality player as well?

If only we could be so fortunate to have a 6th and 7th round draft pick as our starter and backup and be confident with their development.

I think its time to start buying into all this talk of attitude!

Bearcat
02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I can't stand that guy venus mars or wtf his name is

I like this rant... I could do without the arrogance and the "I'm going to explain my simple point of view with really big words because I'm SO much smarter than you", but he's exactly right. About half way through the interviewer says "No one has crowned them yet", and he corrects her, saying ESPN has already crowned them against all the great teams, and that it's way too premature to do anything like that until they actually win something.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JDAZnAedAmw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JDAZnAedAmw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Stryker
02-02-2008, 09:50 PM
In the end, what I think the Chiefs need to do is #1 stop throwing picks away on coach and player trades, #2 find a way to parlay their picks into multiple early-round selections, if at all possible. Because, while I do think superstar players can be keys, I think a team like the Chiefs needs more than one or two guys; I think they need an infusion of talent across the board. I don't think I'd drop out of 4 or 5 this year, but I'd start to try to work on getting multiple picks in future drafts, and I'd starting doing it while we're on the clock in April. If that means trading away guys like Tony Gonzalez or Brian Waters, or even Jared Allen and Larry Johnson, I'd consider it. I'd at least listen to any offers that might come in. And, finally, they need to start hitting on most of their picks (and that might have started in 2006 and 2007). There was a ten year period where they wasted draft after draft, and that got them into the hole they've been in for most of the 21st century.

Rocket science it ain't.

:clap: Outstanding! This is well thought out and the closest thing to the truth that many Chiefs fans will (unfortunately) not accept. A true blue overhaul and complete and utter rebuild. Ground ZERO baby! :thumb:

Stryker
02-02-2008, 09:56 PM

I 2nd that! :clap:

Peyton got his ring last year and the media STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now if the Pats win, the '72 Dolphins will STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus hopefully, the NFL will have an equinox series of years where the WINNER of the Super Bowl will be appreciated because they simply got there and...WON as the better TEAM!

pr_capone
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
So they shouldn't have played for undefeated? Are you nuts?

Also for people that want the Giants to win, that'll be far worse. The last thing I wanna hear about is the New York market talk about being underdogs and overcoming the odds....

They were lucky enough that they did not have any major injuries through the whole year.

When it is all said and done, would going undefeated still have been worth it had Brady or Moss been knocked out for the rest of the year?

I realize that is not what happened...... but Bill put the record ahead of his own players and a Super Bowl run. Not what I would have done.

Mecca
02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
When you are playing for undefeated the game matters.

pr_capone
02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
When you are playing for undefeated the game matters.

That is true.... it gets you that extra by week in the playoffs and an automatic 10 point advantage.

Forgot about that.

keg in kc
02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I disagree. While the level of Brady's success may have been underestimated I do not believe it was chance. From the moment he was drafted he worked hard with the coaches to "develop" into a quality starter. He did not have the physicality coming out of the draft but had the proper attitude which is the philosophy that is being preached. Brady spent a considerable amount of time working with Belicheck so they knew exactly what they had when Bledsoe went down. Belicheck would not have elevated Brady to the #2 QB position over Huard if he wasn't ready.

Also, Matt Cassel was a 7th round pick and I believe is now the backup to Brady. Are you going to say that NE isn't developing him to be a quality player as well?

If only we could be so fortunate to have a 6th and 7th round draft pick as our starter and backup and be confident with their development.

I think its time to start buying into all this talk of attitude!The point of the argument that Whitlock is making is that we need to spend a high draft pick on a quarterback. My point is that New England did not do that. New England has done, for all intents and purposes, exactly what Kansas City has done, which is toss random low round picks at QBs. That's not making any kind of great effort at developing a quarterback, any more than spending picks on guys like Alex Sulfsted and Brett Williams was trying to develop an offensive lineman. It's a shot in the dark. The difference is that New England was fortunate enough to get something in Tom Brady. While we end up with players like James Killian, Jeff Smoker and Joey Germaine.

So, unless I'm misunderstanding what Whitlock's saying, and he believes that the Chiefs need to continue spending low round picks and minor free agent contracts on below-the-radar quarterbacks who might succeed one time in a thousand, then I'd say Whitlock's argument, using the Patriots as the blueprint for developing a QB, is probably a bad one.

Hammock Parties
02-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I think all Whitlock is saying is that the Patriots have developed a QB. The Chiefs need to do it, in whatever way they can.

keg in kc
02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I think all Whitlock is saying is that the Patriots have developed a QB. The Chiefs need to do it, in whatever way they can.He said, specifically, that "drafting and developing a franchise quarterback is the key to building a consistent winner". So, unless he means 6th round picks are the place to find franchise QB talent, or it's a statment in favor of the continued development of Brodie Croyle, I'd say the inference is the same as one of the more popular comments and criticisms around KC, which is that the Chiefs haven't tried to draft and develop a QB since Blackledge in '83.

dj56dt58
02-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I'll be rooting for Strahan to break Bradys ****ing leg