PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to find a good Dtackle?

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-03-2008, 03:59 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.html

Is it all hustle and motor that makes the best Dtackles?

should we ignore size and combine stuff and just go by video and productivity?

I am seeing a lot of reviews saying most of these guys are 'inconsistent'.

ND kid Trevor Law is interesting.

The Franchise
02-03-2008, 04:02 PM
If we can't get Ellis in the 1st round.....then I'll be hoping that Laws finds a way to slip to the 3rd round.

Sully
02-03-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.html

Is it all hustle and motor that makes the best Dtackles?

should we ignore size and combine stuff and just go by video and productivity?

I am seeing a lot of reviews saying most of these guys are 'inconsistent'.

ND kid Trevor Law is interesting.
IMO film is the only way to see their production. Sure, the measurements can add to that, but if you are relying on the measurements, and ignoring (or undervaluing) what you see on film, you are looking for a bust.
As far as these guys being inconsistent, you are talking about, in most cases, the fattest guys on the team. You simply don't see that many DTs that have moors the entire game, every game. That's why a rotation is the best way to go with these guys.
Now, a guy like Sims... he took plays off, IMO, because he was lazy... not due to being tired. For the most part, I think these guys just wear down quicker than any other position.

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Now, a guy like Sims... he took plays off, IMO, because he was lazy... not due to being tired. For the most part, I think these guys just wear down quicker than any other position.

I think Boone had the Sims bug too at the end of season, because he quit at the mid-point of the season IMO

Sully
02-03-2008, 04:18 PM
I think Boone had the Sims bug too at the end of season, because he quit at the mid-point of the season IMO
I think defenders play a lot off of momentum, as well. It takes more energy to play defense, IMO. And if you feel you aren't really playing for anything... then it takes an exceptional person to keep at the same level of play.
But I agree about Boone, though. He was a monster at times. Imagine pairing him up with another monster DT, and how much that would improve our D. Think about how it could make a scrub like Nap Harris look.

Skip Towne
02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Once they are lost, DT's are hard to find. Did you look behind the couch?

Ultra Peanut
02-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I wanted Sims to be so good :(

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on this player?
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/dremoore.html

RJ
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
What is the best way to find a good Dtackle?

Look on the rosters of other teams, I suppose. Drafting doesn't seem to be the answer for the Chiefs. Frankly, I'd rather not see them waste any more early round picks.

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I t Imagine pairing him up with another monster DT, and how much that would improve our D.

It's wood worthy

DeezNutz
02-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Best way to find one? Let the Chiefs make their draft selection and then take what's left on the board.

Sincerely,
Albert Haynesworth and John Henderson

el borracho
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Early in the draft.

Sully
02-03-2008, 05:16 PM
The best thing for the chiefs is to bring in a bunch of DTs to training camp and let them compete.
ROFL

You keep moving from someone who had a strong opinion I simply disagreed with, to someone with absolutely no credibility in these conversations... due to dumbass posts like this.

Quantity does not equal quality.

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
You keep moving from someone who had a strong opinion I simply disagreed with, to someone with absolutely no credibility in these conversations... due to dumbass posts like this.

Quantity does not equal quality.

That's the reason why I've given up trying to talk to him on the subject, but he'll go away when KC picks someone other than Jake Long in the 1st

milkman
02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Parker (htismaqe) gave us some info a year or two ago that illustrated the importance of finding a DT in the draft.

Numbers showed how often free agent DTs never live up to expectations once they left their original NFL team.

You want to find an impact player at the position, your best bet, by a large margin, is to draft him, and do it early.

el borracho
02-03-2008, 05:37 PM
That's the reason why I've given up trying to talk to him on the subject, but he'll go away when KC picks someone other than Jake Long in the 1st
I hope he doesn't go away. I don't really agree with his analysis/ opinions but I do like the fact that he posts a lot of stats that I wouldn't otherwise see.

Direckshun
02-03-2008, 05:45 PM
You want to be signing a DT to either his first or his second contract. Anything after that, and he's usually going to dog it. Boone is an exception to that, but normally veteran DT acquisitions just don't pan out -- ask the Broncos.

Ideally, the best place to find DTs is in the Draft.

We also have to distinguish what kind of DT we're talking about. If we're talking about an elusive 3-technique that can get penetration and push in the pocket, you're going to have to find that early in the Draft. Probably a first day pick, and you'll need at least two good 3-techs to have a good DL.

A massive 2-technique, a guy who takes up space and clogs up running lanes and demands double-teams on run plays, can be found later in the Draft. Sometimes they can even be found in free agency, but these are the most likely players to start dogging it, as their job is essentially taking abuse. So drafting them later is acceptable, but you're going to need at least one of these guys to have a successful DL.

The exception is in a true Cover 2 defense. 2-techs have little place in this speed-first defense, focusing instead on a rotating set of relentless 3-techs.

milkman
02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
About 38% of starting DTs were found in the 1st round, but as much as 19% starting DTs were undrafted.

How many of those in the 38% of starters are PBers.

How many of those 19% are?

Sully
02-03-2008, 06:12 PM
you are the dumbass.

Just about EVERYONE will tell you that competition is a good thing whether football or anywhere else. It will either force existing players to step up and play better, or it gets someone else who will do a better job. Too many people have had roster spots handed to them (Medlock, Sims, etc) without having to compete for it.

ROFL

So if we just throw 10 guys at the problem, then due to the "competition" then you will find stars, eh?

Please... just stop.

The Chiefs have had tons of D-linemen in camp the past few years. They have thrown tons of guys at the problem. It hasn't accomplished anything. Competition is good. but if you are an average player, you are always going to be average.

And comparing the number of D-linemen in the league as far as who has been draftd high, and who hasn't doesn't accomplish anything... unless you are looking to be an average team. A team in the pack. Maybe that's really your goal. Maybe you buy into the "get into the tournament" school of thought. If you want a star, you draft him high. If you want an average defense, which you keep constantly arguing for (OUR DEFENSE WAS RATED 14TH!!! OMGzzz!!!) then you go about it the way you are arguing.

ChiefsCountry
02-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Who cares about who is starting in the league, look at the best of the best - Pro Bowlers.

1st Rounders - Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth
2nd Rounders - Jamal Williams
Third Rounders - Darnell Dockett
Undrafted - Pat Williams

Sully
02-03-2008, 06:58 PM
it sure wont cost the team anything compared to continually drafting DTs and hope one of them turns out NOT to be a lazy bastard.

GREAT drafting strategy!

Let's not draft ANYONE!!!!!

Seriously. At some point you need to look in the mirror and see that you are becoming a joke, here.

milkman
02-03-2008, 07:06 PM
how about you look it up yourself manmilk and tell us?

I would, but I have no desire to find info that is going to be ignored.

blueballs
02-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Direckshun
02-03-2008, 07:13 PM
To be fair, findthedr, the Broncos brought in everybody and their mother to compete for DT last year, and they ended up with one of the worst DT corps in the league.

You have to build a DT corps carefully, and drafting high is a necessary part of that. You don't do it by throwing a whole lot of building materials into wet cement and hope they stand up on their own.

ILikeBigTiddys
02-03-2008, 08:11 PM
The best way to find a DT is in the draft after we take Jake Long, a WR and a CB.

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I hope he doesn't go away. I don't really agree with his analysis/ opinions but I do like the fact that he posts a lot of stats that I wouldn't otherwise see.

He has nothing to contribute, besides his dumbass diatribe about getting Jake Long or bust

unlurking
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
GREAT drafting strategy!

Let's not draft ANYONE!!!!!

Seriously. At some point you need to look in the mirror and see that you are becoming a joke, here.
Becoming?!