PDA

View Full Version : RAND: Bedrock football with better results

C-Mac
02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
RAND: Bedrock football with better results (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/02/05/rand_bedrock_football_with_better_results/)
Feb 05, 2008, 5:56:50 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

The New York Giants in their Super Bowl triumph were the team that Herm Edwards would like his Chiefs to become. While there’s no guarantee the Chiefs can reach that level any time soon, the Giants made it clear there’s nothing inherently flawed with Edwards’ master plan.

That should have been obvious already. Amid all the deserved praise for the New England Patriots’ record-setting offense, it was easy to forget how many plodding, defensive-minded teams have won or reached the Super Bowl during this decade.

The Ravens, Buccaneers and Steelers have more or less fit this mold while winning the Lombardi Trophy since the 2000 season. The Bears of a year ago are the best recent example of a team riding its defense to the Super Bowl, as well as a great example of why it’s tough to close the deal without a championship quarterback.

The Giants are champions because they played Stone Age football, and their furious pass rush took away Tom Brady’s greatest weapon – time to throw. Suddenly, one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history had to rush his throws or eat the ball while averaging a measly 5.5 yards per attempt. His running game averaged 2.8 yards per rush. No wonder the highest-scoring offense in league history was outscored 17-14.

The Giants wanted to run the ball and keep Brady on the bench. They started the game with a field goal drive that chewed up 9:59, the longest scoring drive in Super Bowl history. They wanted to take care of the ball and committed just one turnover, though it ruined a good scoring opportunity. When all was said and done, time of possession was almost even, yet the tortoise had defeated the hare.

When a team gets back to basics and wins the Super Bowl, nobody gripes about its lack of flair. When a team tries to play bedrock football and loses, everybody complains that its haplessness is compounded by boredom. That, understandably, was the perception of the 2007 Chiefs.

Edwards wants a powerful running game, a relentless defense and to develop a young quarterback. His defense last season was by far his brightest pupil. The running game needs an overhauled line and a healthy Larry Johnson.

It’s obviously a stretch to compare Brodie Croyle, 0-6 as a starter, to Eli Manning, the top overall pick of the 2004 draft. Yet it’s worth remembering that few people considered Manning a potential franchise quarterback until his breakthrough against the Patriots in the final game of the regular season. So it took him nearly four full seasons to blossom.

In the Super Bowl, Manning showed the trademark of a championship quarterback – the ability to lead a game-winning drive in the waning minutes. His awesome escape act and 32-yard pass, which wide receiver David Tyree grabbed off his helmet, was the kind of play that wins championships.

Even teams that lean on power football and defense need to pull some games out of the fire late in fourth quarter, a dimension absent from the 2007 Chiefs. And every time we see a decent kick return, we’re reminded of how much work the Chiefs need on special teams.

And every time we saw linebacker Kawika Mitchell or kicker Lawrence Tynes, both former Chiefs, come up big in the postseason, we’re reminded that successful teams find a way to get the most out of pretty good players. The Giants surrounded Mitchell with some outstanding players and put Tynes in situations that allowed him to make big kicks.

Yes, the Chiefs have an awful lot of holes to fill before they can get near the stage on which the Giants starred Sunday. But just as there is nothing self-defeating in the way the Giants play football, there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with Edwards’ concept for success.

Hammock Parties
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Thank you for stealing the premise of my most recent column, Mr. Jonathan Rand.

kc rush
02-05-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm tired of these "this is the model" articles coming from the Chiefs. This year we've had Jacksonville as the model because they are tough and run the ball, Green Bay as the model because they are young, Tennessee as the model because they were built through the draft, and now the Giants.

Just shut up and put together a winning team.

Eleazar
02-05-2008, 08:15 AM

little early in the morning for megalomania, isn't it?

BigChiefFan
02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Let's compare ourselves to teams that actually committ to winning-how wrong is this? What a crock shit. 15 years without a playoff win-sure we should be comparing ourselves, but to the Detroit Lions.

the Talking Can
02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
unreal....how many Gretz's are there?

I thought we wanted to be Jacksonville? Or was it Baltimore? Or...

notice these articles don't address that the running game had nothing to do with this....it was defense and PASSING....sigh

the Talking Can
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM

congrats, you're both clueless Carlbots...

Eleazar
02-05-2008, 09:50 AM

"i've been critical of carl on many occasions" :whackit:

maybe of his personal grooming...

siberian khatru
02-05-2008, 10:06 AM
You know, maybe we could've beaten Indy last year if Herm had allowed Brodie to heave a 32-yard pass down the middle and let Gonzo catch it against his helmet.

acesn8s
02-05-2008, 11:11 AM
You know, maybe we could've beaten Indy last year if Herm had allowed Brodie to heave a 32-yard pass down the middle and let Gonzo catch it against his helmet.It should be in the playbook. Look what it did for the Giants.

kc rush
02-05-2008, 11:18 AM
It should be in the playbook. Look what it did for the Giants.

He wouldn't have seen it. Didn't you hear, Herm doesn't watch the SB.

Besides, throwing the ball is just mumbo jumbo crazy arena league fake wanna be non-tough guy football.

OnTheWarpath15
02-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I swear these hacks are bi-polar.

Can somebody ****ing decide who they want the team to emulate?

One day, Tennessee.

Next week, Jacksonville.

The week after, Green Bay.

Honorable mentions, Pittsburgh and the Giants.

Give it a rest, already.

blueballs
02-05-2008, 11:28 AM
The Giants surrounded Mitchell with some outstanding players
I kinda doubt that's the way it was

acesn8s
02-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I swear these hacks are bi-polar.

Can somebody ****ing decide who they want the team to emulate?

One day, Tennessee.

Next week, Jacksonville.

The week after, Green Bay.

Honorable mentions, Pittsburgh and the Giants.

Give it a rest, already.We DON'T want to be like the Cards.

King_Chief_Fan
02-05-2008, 11:54 AM

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL Rand will write better articles that you when he is dead. He is really good.........relative to the hacks at WPI.

Psyko Tek
02-05-2008, 12:02 PM
The Giants surrounded Mitchell with some outstanding players
I kinda doubt that's the way it was

no it's true their whole defensive sceam was to cover Kawika's short comings

that's how you build a champion pick one decent player and choose everybody else to cover his problems

Manila-Chief
02-05-2008, 12:07 PM
notice these articles don't address that the running game had nothing to do with this....it was defense and PASSING....sigh

Double Bingo!!!! You are right on ... I was thinking the same thing. Herm wouldn't have won that game coz he would have run the ball instead of throwing it down field.

Brodie does not look like the QBOF but who can tell coz Herm has him on a short leash. Herm is afraid of the pass.

StcChief
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
welcome to talent or state the obvious Media hacks. Get a real job

Skip Towne
02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Isn't it amazing how the established writers consistently rip off a drop out?

Hammock Parties
02-05-2008, 05:46 PM

Actually MINE did. I stated that the running game had almost nothing to do with New York's win and was insignificant on their two touchdown drives.

The Giants had a fairly pedestrian passing game during the year but were able to turn it on late in the Super Bowl when it counted. I have my doubts about the ability of a Herm Edwards team accomplishing such a feat.

el borracho
02-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Q: What do the Ravens, Buccaneers, Steelers, Bears and Giants have in common?

A: None of them are dynasties. So I guess if you want to luck into a SuperBowl appearance and maybe get lucky then you should follow their example. If you actually want to actually be an elite team for years you need to emulate the 80s 49ers, the 90s Cowboys or the current Colts and/ or Pats. You need an elite QB and a high powered offense.

Hammock Parties
02-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Look man, I really take offense at this notion that I'm somehow being controlled by the Chiefs. I write what I want to, period.

Before the Super Bowl I made a big show about "LOL THE CHIEFS COULD NEVER BE THE PATRIOTS" and basically handed the Lombardi to New England.

Then the Giants won with defense. The same Giants that were mediocre on offense this year with a bad passing game and a good running game. So, I had to admit that Herm's approach to playing football wasn't so dumb. That's good journalism. It's called being fair and balanced. I can't just rip the Chiefs 100 percent of the time.