PDA

View Full Version : Post Disgust: SB whine in Lambs Land

StcChief
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Eli has a true award-winner for the Patriots' film vault

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/ECF56C71B40032A3862573E5001A5D97?OpenDocument

By Bernie Miklasz

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

02/04/2008

GLENDALE, ARIZ. — Eli Manning did it for himself. He did it for Archie, and Peyton, and his entire family. He did it for the New York Giants. He did it for the National Football League, which was on the verge of handing another Super Bowl trophy to the shameless, unapologetic cheaters known as the New England Patriots.

Eli Manning did it for the 1972 Miami Dolphins, who went 17-0 and won with class, and without taint. The Dolphins still remain alone now, standing by themselves in history's glow, their perfection unsoiled by the Patriots and dirty tricks.

Eli did it for Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Paul Brown, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, and all the great coaches who built dynasties without breaking the rules, without disrespecting the game by cheating.

Sunday evening at University of Phoenix Stadium , Eli scored one for integrity, fairness and the spirit of honest competition. He struck a blow against corruption. He upheld truth, justice and the American way.

In leading that final, amazing, pulsating drive that won the Super Bowl for the Giants, the coming-of-age quarterback one-upped Tom Brady in a memorable battle of fourth-quarter comebacks. Eli did everything but shatter the lens of New England coach Bill Belichick's secret video camera.

God bless you, Eli.

America thanks you for this redemptive, cleansing 17-14 victory in the Super Bowl.

St. Louis thanks you, too.

Eli and the Giants knocked off the Patriots on the sixth anniversary of the Patriots' suspect 20-17 victory over the Rams in the Super Bowl on Feb. 3, 2002.

It was a fabulous piece of karmic payback for the Patriots, who may have cheated the Rams on that day in New Orleans . We'll probably never find out, because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell doesn't appear to have the stomach to take on the Patriots and initiate a legitimate investigation in the aftermath of allegations that the Patriots taped the Rams' final practice before Super Bowl XXXVI.

I don't know why, but watching the Patriots go down so hard on Sunday eased the sting of the Rams' bitter loss six years ago.

Thank you, Eli, for ruining the Patriots' season and denying them the undeserved reward of an undefeated record.

"I'm planning on attending that parade that's just been moved from Boston to New York City ,'' Giants defensive end Michael Strahan said.

Sometimes the good guys win.

It was the most dramatic ambush of a bunch of outlaws since Bonnie and Clyde went down in 1934.

Brady, being Brady, had just erased the Giants' 10-7 lead by completing eight of 11 passes, including a 6-yard touchdown to Randy Moss, to put the Patriots up 14-10. The terrific Giants' defense, which pressured Brady all day, was finally gassed. New England was approaching the winner's circle. That 19-0 season, and a fourth Vince Lombardi Trophy, was within reach.

Not so fast. Eli's a coming.

Starting at his own 17-yard line, with 2 minutes 42 seconds remaining, Manning stepped up and into history by launching an unbelievable 12-play, 83-yard touchdown drive that turned 12-point underdogs into Super Bowl champs.

"I didn't have any doubts about Eli," Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. "He's done this the entire postseason for us. Eli has the heart of a champion."

It wasn't a smooth drive. The Patriots blitzed him, shook him up. He had to run for his life. He threw off the back foot. His play was helter-skelter. But he stuck his nose into the fray and wouldn't surrender. Eli kept overcoming the odds, the Patriots defense, the New England mystique.

The Giants converted a fourth and 1, a third and 5, and a third and 11. On the play of the game, Manning somehow whirled out of trouble on that third and 5, escaping the grasp of two Patriots who grabbed his jersey. He caught his breath and found enough daylight to lob a 32-yard pass downfield.

It was pulled down by the big and largely unknown wideout David Tyree to make the grab. Tyree had to outwrestle the notorious Rodney Harrison for possession. I guess the HGH didn't help Harrison .

"I was just trying to get away," Manning said. "I was trying to avoid a sack. I got the pass off. That ball hung up there forever. He made an unbelievable catch."

Suddenly, the Giants had a first down at the New England 24 with 1 minute remaining. Eli and the Giants moved in for the kill. On third and 11, he darted a 12-yard sideline pass to wideout Steve Smith. First down at the 13.

On the next play, Burress faked Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs out of his cleats, and ran a fade to the corner. Manning's throw was money, and with 35 seconds left, the Giants had a 17-14 lead. With everything on the line, Manning connected on five of nine passes for 77 yards. Tiki Barber won't be ripping him anymore.

And there would be no miracles for the Patriots this time.

This time, Eli Manning was Tom Brady, and there was nothing the Patriots could do but watch in horror.

Belichick's spy cam couldn't save him now.

edit: And the whining never stops here in Lambs land.

Simplex3
02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Chiefs fans still bitch about the Donks and their greased up jerseys, but the Rams fans should get over possibly having a Super Bowl victory stolen?

Brock
02-06-2008, 09:15 AM
What Rams fans?

Frazod
02-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Chiefs fans still bitch about the Donks and their greased up jerseys, but the Rams fans should get over possibly having a Super Bowl victory stolen?

Seriously. Getting assraped by the reigning golden-boy team while the NFL turns a blind eye never goes away. Granted, the cooking spray was far more blatant and inexcusable, but this was on a much bigger stage.

StcChief
02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
What Rams fans?

the ficklefans will reappear and jump back on bandwagon if the start winining.

Amnorix
02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
It's sad really that someone who has no credibility and where there is no proof at all has created this firestorm.

Michael Holley, who has excellent sources inside the Patriots, said he's hearing from multiple sources that there is no tape, and never was a tape.

Phobia
02-06-2008, 10:21 AM
It's sad really that someone who has no credibility
Do you mean the New England Patriots organization?

Simplex3
02-06-2008, 10:27 AM
It's sad really that someone who has no credibility and where there is no proof at all has created this firestorm.

Michael Holley, who has excellent sources inside the Patriots, said he's hearing from multiple sources that there is no tape, and never was a tape.
LMAO You're going to just assume that a convicted cheater is telling the truth about not cheating? Come on now. Would you buy that s**t in court with a criminal? No.

blueballs
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
The Patriots - W's team

blueballs
02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Martz should have run Faulk
period

StcChief
02-06-2008, 10:54 AM
The Patriots - W's team
I thought Pats' are Romney and sKerry's team. :rolleyes:

W's team is Texans or Cowgirls.

crazycoffey
02-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I heard alot of this last Sunday at the bar....
I'm still pretty new to St. Louis, but apparently the
butthurting is still fresh. Alot of st. louisians were very happy the pats lost.

BucEyedPea
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM

Yup! I heard it was investigated weeks ago with nothing really found. Despite that we hear it continously which is just innuendo. Pats have outright denied it...which is a pretty strong statement to me.

There will be another SB sometime under Belichick and Brady.

pikesome
LMAO You're going to just assume that a convicted cheater is telling the truth about not cheating? Come on now. Would you buy that s**t in court with a criminal? No.

Seconded. Get caught lying and creditability follows closely behind.

Or look at it this way: If the Pats thought they needed to film the Jets in week 2 game the year when they were odds on SB favorites in the preseason why wouldn't they film a real football team in a far more important game. With a weaker roster.

Frazod
butthurting is still fresh. Alot of st. louisians were very happy the pats lost.

I remember the pain of that goddamn Bronco/crisco game like it was yesterday. F#ck those cheating pricks. I hope each and every one of them burns in hell forever.

StcChief
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
everywhere I went thru Playoff games SSDY with the crowds.

The hate for getting beat by Pats never goes away, if your a local yokel.

anybody but the Pats. SB same thing. Giants beat to cover 13 points

blueballs
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I thought Pats' are Romney and sKerry's team. :rolleyes:

W's team is Texans or Cowgirls.

THis makes the Rams
Gore's team

pikesome
02-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Yup! I heard it was investigated weeks ago with nothing really found. Despite that we hear it continously which is just innuendo. Pats have outright denied it...which is a pretty strong statement to me.

How was it investigated? All of the evidence was destroyed. Makes an "investigation" hard.

StcChief
02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
THis makes the Rams
Gore's team
Gore and his family from Tennessee..... ????

Lambs are the LA throwaway team, to the build the dome and they will come folks here. who got a$$ raped by PSL seats etc.

Georgia bringing home a team to her hometown is BS. It's about money

BucEyedPea
02-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I was talking about the filming of the walk through before the Rams SB. I just heard that this charge was investigated.

The NFL, however, said it was satisfied this was not another Spygate.

"We were aware of the rumor months ago and looked into it. There was no evidence of it on the tapes or in the notes produced by the Patriots, and the Patriots told us it was not true," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7749384/Pats-deny-report-that-worker-filmed-Rams-before-XXXVI

alpha_omega
02-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, normally something like this would be upsetting to me, but....
...it is the Rams we are talking about so...HA HA HA!!!! ROFL!

Eleazar
02-06-2008, 11:09 AM
it sounds to me like they had a long standing procedure for conducting shady 'espionage' ops on other teams.

i'm not sure you can trust their refutations after they were caught red-handed

pikesome
02-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I was talking about the filming of the walk through before the Rams SB. I just heard that this charge was investigated.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7749384/Pats-deny-report-that-worker-filmed-Rams-before-XXXVI

Do you think the NFL would tell us if the Pats cheated for that SB? I don't know they did but the team's word is utterly worthless on this issue and the NFL hasn't, exactly, been transparent here.

chagrin
02-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Yeah, you're opinion really counts :rolleyes:

kstater
02-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:The NFL, however, said it was satisfied this was not another Spygate.

"We were aware of the rumor months ago and looked into it. There was no evidence of it on the tapes or in the notes produced by the Patriots, and the Patriots told us it was not true," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ms-before-XXXVI

Riiight because the Pat's had every reason to keep evidence of cheating for 3 years and then just hand it over when asked for.

BucEyedPea
02-06-2008, 11:33 AM
I LOVE how some will see rely on an unamed source as clear and convincing proof. Like I said innuendo or wanting to believe it.

Eleazar
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Do you think the NFL would tell us if the Pats cheated for that SB? I don't know they did but the team's word is utterly worthless on this issue and the NFL hasn't, exactly, been transparent here.

They have a huge interest in burying it, if it's true. Baseball looked the other way on steroids because it would undermine the credibility of the game, its records and all. This would leave people wondering if basically a decade of dominance by this team was all tainted.

I don't like that Goodell seems to be just hoping it will all go away. Just be honest, investigate, tell us what you find, and let's move forward.

StcChief
02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
They have a huge interest in burying it, if it's true. Baseball looked the other way on steroids because it would undermine the credibility of the game, its records and all. This would leave people wondering if basically a decade of dominance by this team was all tainted.

I don't like that Goodell seems to be just hoping it will all go away. Just be honest, investigate, tell us what you find, and let's move forward.
Pat's beat Lambs by mugging Faulk, Holt,Bruce at Line of scrimmage and down field....

they changed the DB rules after that SB.

pikesome
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
I LOVE how some will see rely on an unamed source as clear and convincing proof. Like I said innuendo or wanting to believe it.

When people said the Pats were videotaping before that was the same defense.

I don't see how you can be so distrustful of the news when it's political/economic/war related and be so ready to believe that the Pats only cheated that once. In an almost meaningless game (comparatively). Against a far inferior opponent.

Simplex3
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Wow. Matt Walsh, a former Patriot's video dept employee, must be pretty pissed that his parents didn't give him a name.

Also, in their "intensive investigation" the NFL forgot to interview him. BTW, he was with the Pats during the Super Bowl against the Rams.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/sports/football/03spy.html?ex=1359781200&en=c83547f5d520e278&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

crazycoffey
02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
the court of public opinion is now in session, the dishonorable chiefsplanet members presiding.

Amnorix
02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
it sounds to me like they had a long standing procedure for conducting shady 'espionage' ops on other teams.

i'm not sure you can trust their refutations after they were caught red-handed

While it's not a court of law, "innocent until proven".

Besides, how can they refute whatever allegations are thrown against them by bitter ex-employees who might be looking for a payday?

Simplex3
02-06-2008, 12:47 PM
The fact of the matter is the NFL has gotten what they wanted: All evidence of any past misdoing destroyed. From this point forward it's all hearsay and speculation unless a former Pats employee kept some dirt just in case.

What they didn't want was the public backlash, but that may have been unavoidable.

Dartgod
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Eli scored one for integrity, fairness and the spirit of honest competition. He struck a blow against corruption. He upheld truth, justice and the American way.
Surely this isn't the same Eli Manning that, days before the 2004 NFL draft, informed the San Diego Chargers that he had no intention of signing if he was drafted by them?

Integrity, indeed...

mikeboogie
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Breaking News: The 1972 Dolphins did not have Taint's.....But they Did have class

pikesome
02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
The fact of the matter is the NFL has gotten what they wanted: All evidence of any past misdoing destroyed. From this point forward it's all hearsay and speculation unless a former Pats employee kept some dirt just in case.

What they didn't want was the public backlash, but that may have been unavoidable.

It's better everyone is suspicious than something more damning than that Jets game gets out.

milkman
02-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Pat's beat Lambs by mugging Faulk, Holt,Bruce at Line of scrimmage and down field....

they changed the DB rules after that SB.

They didn't change the rule, they just put more empahisis on enforcing the existing rule.

And it wasn't a reaction to anything they did to the Rams, it was the result of what they did to the NFL's golden boy and his recievers.

And it still took the Colts acouple of years to win a SB, and Golden Boy didn't perform all that well in those playoffs.

dj56dt58
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
anyone else notice how the refs didnt go out of their way to help the Pats in the SB? It's like after this story came out the league knew if the Pats win it would be viewed as tainted, and the refs didnt give the Pats the calls they got all throughout the season(and past several years). All the calls went in favor of the giants

Amnorix
02-06-2008, 01:08 PM
anyone else notice how the refs didnt go out of their way to help the Pats in the SB? It's like after this story came out the league knew if the Pats win it would be viewed as tainted, and the refs didnt give the Pats the calls they got all throughout the season(and past several years). All the calls went in favor of the giants

While I agree the Pats didn't get any help from the refs that game (and there were some calls that IMHO shoudl've been made against the Giants), I definitely don't agree that the Pats have been unusually favored by refs over the last few years.

The Colts games are generally ridiculous in terms of ref favoritism. Not just when they play the Pats. The AFCCG between Colts/Steelers a couple years ago was a total joke, and I'm no Steelers fan...

pikesome
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM

Besides, how can they refute whatever allegations are thrown against them by bitter ex-employees who might be looking for a payday?

You want to have us believe that the Pats are the more likely honest party here?

dj56dt58
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
While I agree the Pats didn't get any help from the refs that game (and there were some calls that IMHO shoudl've been made against the Giants), I definitely don't agree that the Pats have been unusually favored by refs over the last few years.

The Colts games are generally ridiculous in terms of ref favoritism. Not just when they play the Pats. The AFCCG between Colts/Steelers a couple years ago was a total joke, and I'm no Steelers fan...
The Colts and Pats both normally get favortism from the refs..I just find it odd that all the close calls went for the Giants when they normally go for the Pats. Its like the league figured it would be bad for the NFL if they won this one...

Valiant
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Personally I don't think it would be in the NFL's interests to look into if it was true.. They would have to award the Rams the victory.. There would be a shit-storm that would kill the Pats in coaches being banned for life, and multiple draft selections lost for a couple years and possible the owner being forced out to appease the rest of the owners and fans..

The NFL and the Pats will deny, deny, deny because it is in the best interest of the league to do so..

Valiant
02-06-2008, 09:06 PM
The Colts and Pats both normally get favortism from the refs..I just find it odd that all the close calls went for the Giants when they normally go for the Pats. Its like the league figured it would be bad for the NFL if they won this one...

Or it would be bad for Vegas if the Pats won..

Phobia
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM

I'd rather rely on somebody who hasn't been caught cheating than trust the denials of somebody who has been caught cheating.

Valiant
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM

And since it is not that has no bearing..

The Pats were caught cheating before in a lesser game that they were almost certain to win, why wouldn't they cheat in more important games??? You are having your fandom cloud your logic..

They can't go and investigate because it was all destroyed, it was in the best interest of the NFL to do this..

Enjoy your championships, even though they are tainted you still got them.. I wish the Chiefs were POS cheaters and had new championships to brag about...

Valiant
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I'd rather rely on somebody who hasn't been caught cheating than trust the denials of somebody who has been caught cheating.

Don't worry the Pats are just taking tips from the Donks in denial..

Simplex3
02-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Unless the NFL got the Pats OL to give up then the Giants beat them.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Pats should have never even been in the Super Bowl that year.

Raiders (gulp, cant belive im saying this) rightfully should have been in it. A fumble is a fumble.

Spott
02-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Pats should have never even been in the Super Bowl that year.

Raiders (gulp, cant belive im saying this) rightfully should have been in it. A fumble is a fumble.

Actually, the Raiders/Pats game was in the divisional round. Oakland would have still had to travel to Pittsburgh the next week to play in the AFC championship game.

Deberg_1990
02-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Actually, the Raiders/Pats game was in the divisional round. Oakland would have still had to travel to Pittsburgh the next week to play in the AFC championship game.

Really? Oops..my bad then....i thought it was the Conference Championship that year.

teedubya
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty happy that Amnorix wasn't able to add the 4th trophy to his avatar... I'm sure he had it all ready and waiting to launch.

Valiant
02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty happy that Amnorix wasn't able to add the 4th trophy to his avatar... I'm sure he had it all ready and waiting to launch.

At this rate he will have to add 3asteriks to his avatar..