PDA

View Full Version : Nevada high school football recruit made up story

Demonpenz
02-07-2008, 02:36 PM
RENO, Nev. -- A northern Nevada prep football player who had claimed he was duped into believing he was recruited to play at a Pac-10 school admitted Wednesday he made up the story.

Kevin Hart, a 6-foot-5, 290-pound offensive lineman for Fernley High School, offered a broad apology in a statement he issued through the Lyon County School District. Hart said he had wanted to play football at a Division I school "more than anything."

"When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I made up what I wanted to be reality. I am sorry for disappointing and embarrassing my family, coaches, Fernley High School, the involved universities and reporters covering the story," Hart said.

Lyon County sheriff's detectives had been unable to corroborate Hart's claims that he had been duped by a man he paid to help promote him to college football programs.

Lt. Rob Hall said Hart had not informed detectives of his confession, and they would continue to investigate to see if Hart had broken any laws, such as filing a false police report.

Hart first spoke with deputies Saturday, a day after he announced at a school assembly and a news conference that he would sign with the University of California, Berkeley.

At the announcement ceremony, Hart, with Fernley coach Mark Hodges at his side, said he talked with Cal head coach Jeff Tedford many times, and that "personal experience" led to his decision to choose the Golden Bears over Oregon, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported.

But the announcement was questioned almost immediately, and on Monday officials with California and the University of Oregon said Hart was never recruited.

Hall said Hart had claimed that the alleged promoter he paid was named Kevin Riley, and that he believed he was from Las Vegas. Hart, however, was "unable to provide any phone numbers, addresses," or other contact information for the purported recruiter, Hall said.

"Initially, we thought if this was in fact a hoax or something Kevin came up with, maybe he was trying to put his name out there and create some interest," Hall said.

"Or maybe he just thought it was going to be and when it didn't happen, rumors started and it just got bigger and bigger and he didn't know what to do. That's why we want to sit down with Kevin and talk with him to get his perspective about what happened, where did it start, when did it start," he said.

Hall said detectives will forward their investigation to the district attorney's office to decide whether prosecution was warranted.

Tedford said Wednesday he had never talked to Hart and the Golden Bears never recruited him.

"It was total news to me, and it's unfortunate that that whole situation is what it is," Tedford said.

"I've talked to other coaches who have had people saying they've committed to their programs who they're not even recruiting, and it just seems like this thing is getting so big and egos are getting so involved ... people want to have an identity or whatever. To get to that magnitude that I read about is really kind of unfortunate," he said.

Oregon coach Mike Bellotti also said Wednesday the Ducks did not recruit Hart, and that he had been contacted by law enforcement authorities.

"Whatever happens, it's a shame," Bellotti said.

On Tuesday, school district administrators said an internal investigation showed that none of the universities once thought to have pursued Hart -- including Nevada, Washington and Oklahoma State -- had contacted Hart.

Superintendent Nat Lommori and Assistant Superintendent Teri White, in issuing the statement the day before recruits across the country sign letters of intent to play for college programs, said they wanted to relieve concerns prospective recruits to those schools might have because of the Hart matter.

The school district's investigation was continuing, White said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

pr_capone
02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I heard about this on the radio on the way to work yesterday.

LMFAO

What a douche.

I hope he gets no scholarship offers and is made to pay for the time that the police wasted looking into the matter.

He might even be looking at a fine and jail time for filling a false report.

Phobia
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
If he had only claimed he was recruited to play at UCLA then there was a strong chance Carl would have drafted him in the 3rd round.

tyton75
02-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I still don't get how he was able to convince EVERYONE!??

they threw a freaking party for him for gods sake!!!

Demonpenz
02-07-2008, 03:06 PM
atleast he is even on rivals he is 2 star recruit

Stewie
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Didn't his high school coach find it a little odd that Cal coaches never contacted him about his player?

Thig Lyfe
02-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I wonder if he ever thought he'd get away with it. It's not really one of those things you can fake. It's not like he would be able to move in with a friend down the street in the fall and call home every week pretending to be in California playing football.

Or could he...

Sure-Oz
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe he can go to KU and Mangino can make him a 3 star recuit, atleast he is a 5 star dumbass

Rooster
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
If he had only claimed he was recruited to play at UCLA then there was a strong chance Carl would have drafted him in the 3rd round.

ROFL ROFL So true it's sad.

stonedstooge
02-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Student Claims: Having worked in school districts,although small in size, IA in Missouri, you wouldn't believe the enormous pressure parents put on kids concerning playing at the next level. I could easily see a kid getting caught up in it. A small district I worked in had a decent quarterback, I mean he was good, but not compared to those who play Div.4 or 5 sized schools.

He got a form letter like all high school kids do from M.U. about going to school there. The next thing you know, its going around town that Missouri was trying to recruit him for football. It was just a damn form letter all kids get.

Parents are the culprits by putting pressure on the kids to excel and then they can head to the coffee shop and brag. He ended up going to Northwest Missouri State University, before they became a Nationally ranked team, in fact when they were quite football poor, played two years as a second string defensive back. I don't think he ever started a game, and then quit. But by God Missouri was looking at him as quarterback.

I hate it when kids are built up to be something they are not. It's no excuse for what this kid did, but I can understand the pressures that were probably being placed on him by his parents and community.

eazyb81
02-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Just found out about this today.

LOL, what a pathetic loser. His family must be so ashamed. I'm guessing he has a mental illness, no one normal would do something like this.

rageeumr
02-01-2012, 09:59 AM
We can't let the DGB signing overshadow today's real news. Ladies and Gentlemen, your newest Missouri Western Griffon!

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/7525340/kevin-hart-recruit-lied-california-golden-bears-sign-missouri-western-state

The same offensive lineman who staged a phony news conference four years ago to announce he was attending California -- even though Cal never recruited him -- will sign a legitimate letter of intent Wednesday with Division II Missouri Western State.

Kevin Hart, whose lie on Feb. 1, 2008, made national news, spent the past four years at Feather River College in Quincy, Calif., where this past season he was named a first-team All-California junior college lineman. He will have two years of eligibility remaining at Missouri Western, which finished 9-3 in 2011.

As ESPN.com's Tom Friend found out in 2009, Kevin Hart's journey to Division I college football seemed too good to be true. And that's exactly what it was. Story

"I definitely think it's a happy ending," said Tom Simi, who brought Hart to Feather River College in 2008 before leaving the following year to become head coach at Army's West Point Prep. "We knew from the beginning this was a kid who had some problems and had some issues. Not just academically, but let's face it, probably emotionally. But he was still a good person, and that's what we believed in -- his potential.

"He screwed up and kind of paid a public humiliation price for it, and then he went underground and had to get a lot of things figured out. But clearly over time, he has. And here he is, man. It's pretty cool."

Hart, who is 6-foot-4, 315 pounds, played prep football in Nevada, with the dream of becoming a Division I player. After his junior season at Fernley High School, he received recruiting letters from Washington, Oregon and Nevada and even nicknamed himself "D-1." But because he had a 1.8 grade point average -- and thought it was of no use to take the SAT -- those schools stopped recruiting him. Ashamed to let anyone know, he assured his coaches and classmates that he was still a national recruit -- and continued his lie throughout his senior season of high school.

He then announced his college choice -- on national signing day in 2008 -- during a packed high school assembly, choosing Cal over Oregon. Asked afterward why he chose Cal, Hart answered: "Coach [Jeff] Tedford and I talked a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of game me a real personal experience with that coach. And we had like a really good relationship."

But hours later, the hoax was uncovered. Fernley officials were told by Cal that Tedford had never met him or recruited him, and Hart, when confronted, told another lie, saying he'd been duped by a recruiting agent. But he later confessed, becoming a national pariah.

He planned to quit football until Feather River's Simi, along with athletic director Merle Trueblood, offered him a second chance at Feather River, a two-year institution in Northern California. Hart played sparingly as a freshman in 2008, then missed the entire 2009 season because of a knee injury. In 2010, he was academically ineligible to play, and served as a volunteer football assistant, helping coach the offensive line.

"Once he coached a little bit and saw what it was like, he learned the meaning of accountability," Trueblood said Tuesday. "Because nobody cut him not any slack on this staff. Not any slack. Make him accountable. He did all the dirty work so to speak, being the lowly volunteer. No slack was cut whatsoever. He did laundry. But that's what he needed. And then he got his grades right. Went to school and class. And then he came back."

This past season of 2011, Trueblood says Hart blossomed into "one of the best linemen we've ever had."

The athletic director also claims several Div. I school would have pursued Hart, but backed off when they heard he had only one year left of Div. I eligibility. But he has two years of eligibility at the Div. II level, and chose Missouri Western State over Concordia University-Saint Paul.

"I'm very thankful someone took a chance on me again," Hart said Tuesday evening. "I'm excited. I'm going there to get an education and to work hard on the field. I'm 22 years old now and in a different spot in my life. I'm more mature."

Missouri Western is expected to announce Hart's signing at a Wednesday press conference -- four years to the day after Hart's faux press conference in Fernley.

"I didn't realize it was exactly four years later," Hart said. "It'll be a good day for me. It'll be an emotional day. A lot of people say, 'Oh, but he didn't go Division I.' But there's still a lot to accomplish at Div. II, and I'm ready to get to work."

Trueblood said Hart broke the news to his teammates at Feather River's football banquet on Monday night -- and that the lineman became overcome with emotion.

"Kevin's persevered," Simi said, "and obviously is achieving a lot of success. I couldn't be happier for him, couldn't be prouder."

Molitoth
02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Haha!

Pablo
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
GRIFFS 4 LIFE.

boogblaster
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
yea my kid got abunch of form letters but only one school called all the time ......