PDA

View Full Version : To serve and to protect...but only when I feel like it.

acesn8s
02-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I just drove to the store to buy a few things and when I arrived there was someones car alarm blasting away in the middle of the parking lot. You know how it is, you think to yourself "Why can't people control those damn things better?" and I started to continue toward the front door. Just then did I see a little boy(about 6 years old maybe) run around an SUV and started to scream at it "Don't do that!" and I pause long enough to notice another kid inside the vehicle.

Whoa! Two kids, no adult and a car alarm blasting away. This situation is not looking good.

As I was pulling into the lot I had notice a police officer parked in the corner of the lot so I decided that this is a perfect time for them to serve and to protect. I guess I was wrong. After waving down the cop, she pulls up, let's out a big sigh and says "Where are their parents?"

WTF!!! How was I supposed to know that? I explained to her that I just pulled into the lot and had no idea. IMO Her ass should have been there long before I started to flag her down. But then again I also thought that that was part of her job.

jspchief
02-07-2008, 04:56 PM
She should've called about 5 cops for back-up and strip-searched the little shits.

Rooster
02-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Put the taser to those little bastards.

Simplex3
02-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think she can issue a ticket to the kids. She had to find the parents to get the revenue stream kicked in.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 05:08 PM
On a semi-related note, I was walking home from work last night, and saw a Papa John's pizza delivery guy whose truck was stuck on some ice. He had parked on a street that had a little slant to it, and couldn't get enough traction to get out.

I walked over to help him, as did a woman. We started to help him push, and he got a cell phone call. The doofus didn't acknowledge us, and had no idea how to help by rocking the accelerator back and forth. So he's just variously gunning and idling, and the woman is saying, "Would you please hang up the phone?" and I'm saying, "Don't give it gas when we're not pushing," and eventually we get the guy out, and he doesn't say thanks or wave or even nod. He just drives off. It annoyed me to the point where I considered ordering a pizza from Papa John's just so I could not tip him and ask him how it felt.

acesn8s
02-07-2008, 05:09 PM
She should've called about 5 cops for back-up and strip-searched the little shits.It was too much trouble for her to do that.

She was still in the lot when I left but the SUV was gone.

gblowfish
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
On a semi-related note, I was walking home from work last night, and saw a Papa John's pizza delivery guy whose truck was stuck on some ice. He had parked on a street that had a little slant to it, and couldn't get enough traction to get out.

I walked over to help him, as did a woman. We started to help him push, and he got a cell phone call. The doofus didn't acknowledge us, and had no idea how to help by rocking the accelerator back and forth. So he's just variously gunning and idling, and the woman is saying, "Would you please hang up the phone?" and I'm saying, "Don't give it gas when we're not pushing," and eventually we get the guy out, and he doesn't say thanks or wave or even nod. He just drives off. It annoyed me to the point where I considered ordering a pizza from Papa John's just so I could not tip him and ask him how it felt.

His social skills probably help him land that high profile job in the Pizza Delivery business.

I went almost 30 years without a traffic ticket and have gotten TWO in the last month from OPKS cops. One was my fault (speeding) second was bogus (stop sign) I stopped, "but not long enough" according to officer Friendly.
that's almost $500 in tickets in the last 30 days.

I've quit spending money in JoCo, and now try to buy nothing, till I get back to the Missouri side. Used to buy lunch, groceries, gas, etc. Not any more.

acesn8s
02-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I don't think she can issue a ticket to the kids. She had to find the parents to get the revenue stream kicked in.Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Kansas pass a law saying that if you left your kids in your car that it is child endangerment?

pikesome
02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
She probably thought you had a camcorder and a grudge.

acesn8s
02-07-2008, 06:06 PM
She probably thought you had a camcorder and a grudge.I had my phone. I didn't think about recording the situation.:banghead: I could have really messed up her day.:hmmm:

kstater
02-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but what exactly should she have done? You flagged her down and she asked if you knew where the parents were. You didn't know, and didn't tell us what she did to find the parents after that. As for you thinking she should have already been there, how would she know that a kid was inside a car? ESP?

pikesome
02-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I had my phone. I didn't think about recording the situation.:banghead: I could have really messed up her day.:hmmm:

That's the perfect attitude to make sure cops help. :rolleyes:

Micjones
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM
His social skills probably help him land that high profile job in the Pizza Delivery business.

I went almost 30 years without a traffic ticket and have gotten TWO in the last month from OPKS cops. One was my fault (speeding) second was bogus (stop sign) I stopped, "but not long enough" according to officer Friendly.
that's almost $500 in tickets in the last 30 days.

I've quit spending money in JoCo, and now try to buy nothing, till I get back to the Missouri side. Used to buy lunch, groceries, gas, etc. Not any more.

I got a bogus ass ticket in Leavenworth about a month ago.
The cop ESTIMATED my speed. Never had me on the radar at all.

Missed the court date because of a really bad snowstorm and had the judge DOUBLE MY FINE.

Joie
02-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but what exactly should she have done? You flagged her down and she asked if you knew where the parents were. You didn't know, and didn't tell us what she did to find the parents after that. As for you thinking she should have already been there, how would she know that a kid was inside a car? ESP?
How about checking out the car alarm that was blaring in the parking lot (loud enough that I was talking to him on his cell and could hear it before he got out of the car)?

Or not being a bitch about doing her job?

He doesn't know what she did to find the parents, because as he said he left the situation in her hands (a POLICE OFFICER should be able to handle it) and went into the store. After he came out the SUV was gone.

kstater
02-07-2008, 08:10 PM
How about checking out the car alarm that was blaring in the parking lot (loud enough that I was talking to him on his cell and could hear it before he got out of the car)?

He doesn't know what she did to find the parents, because as he said he left the situation in her hands (a POLICE OFFICER should be able to handle it) and went into the store. After he came out the SUV was gone.

Car alarms go off every minute of the day. Whose to say that the cop, just as most people, is conditioned to ignore the incessant car alarm that goes off every time someone looks at it. Or whose to say that maybe, just maybe the cop didn't hear the alarm.

Again maybe I misread the post, but where does it say the cop was a bitch about doing her job.

Maybe she was doing her job, asked if you knew where the parents were, then did her job and found the parents.

Jeez we're crucifying a cop who was informed of a of something who presumably went and found the owner of the car.

acesn8s
02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Car alarms go off every minute of the day. Whose to say that the cop, just as most people, is conditioned to ignore the incessant car alarm that goes off every time someone looks at it. Or whose to say that maybe, just maybe the cop didn't hear the alarm.

Again maybe I misread the post, but where does it say the cop was a bitch about doing her job.

Maybe she was doing her job, asked if you knew where the parents were, then did her job and found the parents.

Jeez we're crucifying a cop who was informed of a of something who presumably went and found the owner of the car.Perhaps I should mention that she was a mere 100 ft away with her window rolled down. Her car was facing the SUV's windshield. The kid inside the SUV was sitting in the drivers seat. I heard this alarm before I even pulled into the lot. The alarm would shut off and then start up again. And remember that there was a 6 year old outside the vehicle trying to get in.

What good is an alarm if a police officer is unwilling to examine the ****er when it is blaring 100 ft away from her? Anybody (myself included) could have kidnapped that kid and been gone before the cop would have done her job.

chop
02-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Uh oh, I think JoCo may go broke now that they aren't getting your money for the jerky, frozen burritos, and tater chips. :)

acesn8s
02-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Besides, what if it wasn't a kid inside but rather a parent having a heart attack or stroke and trying to get the cops attention.

Demonpenz
02-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Considering what day of the month it was she probably just made her quota of parking tickets and was going home

Smed1065
02-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Jeez we're crucifying a cop who was informed of a of something who presumably went and found the owner of the car.

Lame, I expect the owner drove the SUV away? Must have been back?

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here, at any time in their entire life, seen a car alarm go off when it was actually being broken into, as opposed to being a false alarm? I never have.

Side story. I used to work at the McDonnell Douglas plant, and was in the building where they actually did final assembly on the F-15, F-18, and (if I remember right) Harrier. There was a runway right across a chain link fence from the parking lot where they would do the checkout flights on the F-15's and F-18's before the military took possession. The pilots would crank them up and go straight up on takeoff, and the acceleration down the runway was so loud and so strong that it would set off the car alarms in the parking lot. I always thought that was funny.

Bugeater
02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here, at any time in their entire life, seen a car alarm go off when it was actually being broken into, as opposed to being a false alarm? I never have.
No. Car alarms are useless and annoying. I have no idea why people waste their money on that shit. I think it's because they think they're cool when they set it with the remote and it makes that beep sound. News flash jackass, no one is going to break into your ride while you're in the Quickie Mart.

pikesome
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM

I can't say I've ever seen it either. I did have a friend in HS who went through a wild streak that stole radios for fun. He told a story, I can't verify it, that trying to get into a car he set off the alarm while it sat out on the street in front of the owner's apt. So he takes his wire cutters and cuts every wire he could reach from under the car till he got the alarm to go off. Took him like 20 mins. His ears rang for a few days but he did get the radio. No one ever came to check on the car.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
This is confirming my theory that no car break-in has ever been thwarted by a car alarm.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:25 PM
If you google "alerted by the car alarm", you get two hits: one that reports that a thief stole stuff before the owners were alerted by the car alarm, and one hit in Australia that reports that a car fire was doused when the owners were alerted by the car alarm.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:29 PM
If you google "scared off by the car alarm", you get two hits: one humor article about residents being scared by a malfunctioning car alarm and ...

VOILA!

One hit from a crime report dated April 22, 1997, in Rancho Palos Verde, California, noting that some thieves were apparently scared off by the car alarm.

We now know that at least one time in the history of the world, a car alarm did what it was supposed to do.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:30 PM
"Notified by the car alarm" got no hits on google.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
"Warned by the car alarm" gets no hits on google.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Searches on "thieves", "car alarm" and "thieves", "car alarm", "caught" appear to produce nothing but ads for car alarms.

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:34 PM
After extensive research, I have concluded that the only vehicle ever saved by a car alarm was that one vehicle in Rancho Palos Verde on April 22, 1997.

Mama Hip Rockets
02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
We now know that at least one time in the history of the world, a car alarm did what it was supposed to do.

ROFL

pr_capone
02-08-2008, 12:09 AM
No. Car alarms are useless and annoying. I have no idea why people waste their money on that shit. I think it's because they think they're cool when they set it with the remote and it makes that beep sound. News flash jackass, no one is going to break into your ride while you're in the Quickie Mart.

Yeah.... that NEVER happens.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=152249&highlight=truck+stolen

acesn8s
02-08-2008, 12:53 AM
After extensive research, I have concluded that the only vehicle ever saved by a car alarm was that one vehicle in Rancho Palos Verde on April 22, 1997.I would like to think that I stopped that 6 year old and his 2 year old accomplice from stealing that SUV.o:-)

Bump
02-08-2008, 02:03 AM

wow, that would have pissed me off. You should order a pizza until you get him and not tip.

DenverChief
02-08-2008, 02:55 AM

I should assume that you are always cheery and happy to do your job? She is a human being ya know

crazycoffey
02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
on a related note, two police officers in Kirkwood died yesterday afternoon, shot over the city's contractor policy - how about a break from the "F-the po po" sentiment, if only for one day......

Bugeater
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah.... that NEVER happens.

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=152249&highlight=truck+stolen
Did you even read that thread? He left his keys in the damn thing.

pr_capone
02-09-2008, 02:53 AM
Did you even read that thread? He left his keys in the damn thing.

You are right. I went back and re-read your post.

"News flash jackass, no one is going to break into your ride while you're in the Quickie Mart as long as your doors are locked, windows are up, and your alarm is set."

For the life of me, I don't know how I missed that.

Bugeater
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh Jesus Christ, if you don't know the difference from "breaking in" and someone jumping in and taking off with a vehicle that has the keys in it, then I'm sure as hell not going to try to explain it to you.

Simplex3
02-09-2008, 09:39 AM
No. Car alarms are useless and annoying. I have no idea why people waste their money on that shit. I think it's because they think they're cool when they set it with the remote and it makes that beep sound.
Car alarms are used for the same reason bike locks, home alarms, and padlocks are. They keep honest people honest. A thief is getting in one way or another.

News flash jackass, no one is going to break into your ride while you're in the Quickie Mart.
Actually, that happens a lot more than you would think. Why? Because people have a tendency to think like you and leave their cars unlocked, maybe even leave the keys in it. Depending on the type of car I can get it started and take off in 10 seconds or less if you leave it unlocked.

J Diddy
02-09-2008, 09:41 AM

on a related note, yesterday I ran a papa johns driver into a ditch

Bugeater
02-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Car alarms are used for the same reason bike locks, home alarms, and padlocks are. They keep honest people honest. A thief is getting in one way or another.

Actually, that happens a lot more than you would think. Why? Because people have a tendency to think like you and leave their cars unlocked, maybe even leave the keys in it. Depending on the type of car I can get it started and take off in 10 seconds or less if you leave it unlocked.
Good lord, it's not "breaking in" if the thing is unlocked. I'm not making fun of the guy who locks his car while he goes in, I'm making fun of the guy who thinks he needs to set his alarm while he goes in.

Simplex3
02-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Good lord, it's not "breaking in" if the thing is unlocked. I'm not making fun of the guy who locks his car while he goes in, I'm making fun of the guy who thinks he needs to set his alarm while he goes in.
On my car they both happen at the same time with the remote. Most cars connect the door locks with the alarm.

:shrug:

Bugeater
02-09-2008, 11:10 AM
On my car they both happen at the same time with the remote. Most cars connect the door locks with the alarm.

:shrug:
Well, I suppose I could say not to waste your money on the stupid alarm in the first place, but god knows you and pr need to protect your sweet ass rides. Maybe someday we'll have a system in place where a large amount of people could pay a company a small amount of money each, and create a pool of funds to cover them in the event one of them suffers a loss, but since there's no such system in place you guys just keep on setting your alarms everywhere you go even though they're 1000x more likely to annoy the **** out of someone than prevent a loss. Your car IS worth it after all.

Brock
02-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I have to agree, car alarms are useless. Nobody even looks when one goes off while I'm stealing a car.

pr_capone
02-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Actually.... I don't have a sweet ass ride.

What I do have, though, is a car I cannot afford to loose. Even if I *DO* have full coverage insurance.

I'm not sure if you knew this or not.... but insurance will only pay what the car is valued at and not the amount owed on the loan.

Because of that, it is worth it to me, even if it annoys people like you, to lock the doors and set the alarm. Which, BTW< is automaticallly set when I lock the door as Simplex said.

Must be nice tho to shit $100 bills whenever you want to cover the difference in case of theft.

Is that a natural talent or something you had to work at?

Bob Dole
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
No. Car alarms are useless and annoying. I have no idea why people waste their money on that shit.

If you have the remote with the panic button, they are handy for helping you locate your car in a big parking lot.

Bugeater
02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Actually.... I don't have a sweet ass ride.

What I do have, though, is a car I cannot afford to loose. Even if I *DO* have full coverage insurance.

I'm not sure if you knew this or not.... but insurance will only pay what the car is valued at and not the amount owed on the loan.

Because of that, it is worth it to me, even if it annoys people like you, to lock the doors and set the alarm. Which, BTW< is automaticallly set when I lock the door as Simplex said.

Must be nice tho to shit $100 bills whenever you want to cover the difference in case of theft.

Is that a natural talent or something you had to work at?
No, I don't shit $100 bills, I've just never been foolish enough to pay more for a car than what it's worth.

Rain Man
02-09-2008, 01:10 PM
If you have the remote with the panic button, they are handy for helping you locate your car in a big parking lot.

You must panic easily.

Rain Man
02-09-2008, 01:13 PM
on a related note, yesterday I ran a papa johns driver into a ditch

And you know what? I'm not helping to push him out. High-five! (Smack.)

pr_capone
02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
No, I don't shit $100 bills, I've just never been foolish enough to pay more for a car than what it's worth.

Neither have I. Its called depreciation.

Dictionary.com
de·pre·ci·a·tion
Pronunciation[di-pree-shee-ey-shuhn]
–noun
1. decrease in value due to wear and tear, decay, decline in price, etc.

Bugeater
02-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Neither have I. Its called depreciation.

Dictionary.com
de·pre·ci·a·tion
Pronunciation[di-pree-shee-ey-shuhn]
–noun
1. decrease in value due to wear and tear, decay, decline in price, etc.
Ok, let me rephrase that, I've never been foolish enough to buy a car that depreciated faster than I could pay it off. I paid cash for both of my vehicles, and I didn't buy ones that I couldn't afford to replace. The wife's car, OTOH, we did borrow for, but we made sure to buy one that was going to hold its value and we paid less than book value for it.

And just for the record, the whole thing with me and car alarms goes back to when I to lived in the same apartment building with some jackass who insisted on setting his every night, even though the damn thing was so sensitive it would go off every time it rained hard. It didn't matter to him one bit that it would wake up half the complex when it went off. IMO, if the guy was that worried about his shit, he should've found an apartment with a garage. I don't feel his right to protect his vehicle superseded the rest of the resident's right to a decent nights sleep.

And I still think the guy who sets his in places like the parking lot of the c-store in the suburbs of west Omaha is an idiot. Sure, I suppose there are times you can justify having one and arming it if you find yourself in a high-risk area, but as far as it automatically arming every time you lock the car, I sure as hell would want the choice. There's no way you need to arm the damn thing EVERY time you get out of the car. Good lord, is the crime in Wichita really that bad?

pr_capone
02-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Good lord, is the crime in Wichita really that bad?

Depends really. I am no so concerned with my vehicle at home.... but I work at a Title I school. The neighborhoods tend to be rough and on several occasions, school security has had to chase people off the parking lot who were just wandering around looking inside cars.