PDA

View Full Version : GUNTHER SPEAKS

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 09:29 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/727557.html

Gunther Cunningham sat down with the media Wednesday afternoon for a long, in-depth chat about the Chiefs of the past, the Chiefs of the future, and a few other topics. Honestly, the man was so full of information, we couldn't confine all he had to say to three articles. Gunther's cup runneth over. Drink deeply, Chiefs fans.

Gunther...

ON HIS ASSISTANT COACHES

During the year, one of the issues on our defensive staff is to get the coaches home at night early. If I told you the time it’d probably shock you, but I’m going to tell you anyway. I try to get them out at every night at eight ‘o clock, but what that does, it kind of kills the head of the snake, that being me.

It puts me into overdrive cycle to get all the scripts done and all the practice preparation done for the next day. But the positive end is, the way those guys coach, if I don’t let them have sleep they’d all be dead. So we made a decision on who was going to die.

Tim [Krumrie] and Don and David [Gibbs], they work out at like four o’ clock in the morning. This morning I came in and I didn’t know what time it was, but it was before the sun was up, and I’m parking my car, it’s pretty early and the footprints are already going across the snow.

That was one of the reasons why I don’t talk very much. The other reason is, as you get a little wiser and you know what you want to do in this league, I think you get this media-coach relationship. The older I got the wiser I got about it. When you’re a young coach, my god you want to see your name in the paper. The more you’re around and you kind of channel your energy into what you want to do, then you realize your name doesn’t have to be in the paper, you just have to be good and keep working.

[b]ON DERRICK THOMAS

As I went through the process of trying to help John Clayton and different people that called me about Derrick for the Hall of Fame, what happened is I did an evaluation, so I had to find the top sackers in history since we took note of that. Deacon Jones rushed when they had to tie their hands on their jersey. Leslie O’Neal used to say “they block me like that, I’d have 500 sacks in two minutes.” Well, Derrick Thomas probably would have had 1,000.

When you compare, and I looked at these guys, four of them I had coached, four of those guys are in the top 20 all time with 475 sacks. Neil Smith and Derrick are two of those guys. Greg Townsend and Leslie O’Neal are the other two. Leslie O’Neal has 132.5 sacks and so does the great, great Lawrence Taylor.

Now, you never talk about Leslie O’Neal going to the Hall of Fame. Why are they tied? Lawrence played 13 years, Leslie played 14 years. Derrick Thomas has 126.5 sacks. He played 11 years. You want to percentage it out? I think it’s real simple, Derrick Thomas gets more sacks per year than all those other guys.

He’s got more turnovers. That part isn’t even close. He went to nine Pro Bowls and the other guys went to four and five. Now you tell me why Derrick Thomas is not in the Hall of Fame. We’re all from Kansas City and we all take pride in the guy. We have to, he’s our guy.

But it amazes me how national writers tell me that the guy never played the run. We talk about the ‘85 Bears and we talk about Baltimore. Well, if you want to stat out the thing, put in the ‘95 Chiefs and compare all the stats to those two teams.

So obviously Derrick Thomas had an impact. They said he couldn’t stop the run? You all were watching it. The leader of that team was Derrick Thomas. Derrick Thomas runs through the veins of those teams for 10 years.

ON JIM HASLETT

I talked to Jim Haslett at the airport last week and he said “Good job on third down.” We led the NFL in third down defense, which was the best since 1997, or something like that. Jim brings that up and I said “I don’t know how we’re doing it, we can’t play man,” and he says “Gun, that young defensive line you’ve got? You are lowballing me, and you know exactly why you did it.” I started laughing, I said “You like them?” He referenced Jared Allen and said “You know what I like about Jared Allen? When he smells blood he goes in to kill. He smelled the guy in Cincinnati and destroyed his life.”

ON CHAN GAILEY

When Chan came on the staff – I really like him, he’s been a head coach and he understands our only job is to protect the head coach at all costs – he said something about the acquisition of a player, possibly. When he said that, he hit me right between the eyes. Because then, Chan Gailey came back to me. I remembered everything about him. When he mentioned this player’s name to help on the offensive line, everything became clear.

The next thing, we’re at the Senior Bowl, and I’m trying to give him a rundown on the organization on how we do things. One time we’re sitting in the car and he says “Don’t expect me, if it’s third and 15, to make some exotic play and get you out and keep moving the ball. Gun, you’re going to sit next to me in the box, I’m going to nudge you and say get ready, I’m going to run the draw and we’re going to punt that ball back down the field.”

I was speechless for about the next 10 minutes. For me that’s kind of hard sometimes. I looked at him and said son of a gun, finally a real guy showed up.

ON THE COVER 2

The last couple of years I had to do something that’s not as much fun. You play Cover 2 for a reason. Think about the way I played the way I did as a defensive coordinator. Think about it. It’s not hard to figure out.

Because if you play man to man, you’re not going to give up 28 touchdowns. You might have given up 45. So you try to take care of people on the field and get them in the right position. You have to know the speed of certain people and you have to play cautious.

ON PREVIOUS COACHING OFFERS

I was supposed to be on the sideline in the Super Bowl, because Bob Kraft said “Here’s a contract, sign it,” at midnight in a hotel in Boston. I said “Mr. Kraft, I’m not signing it because I can’t do this job for you. I need to do something else.” So I went to Tennessee and coached linebackers. As I reflected on everything I had no one to blame except myself for what happened. I’m not a head football coach. I’m a ditch digger.

ON THE INTERNET

One of the great things I’ve done – maybe the dumbest thing I’ve ever done – I decided to Google my name because I’m looking for a stat from the old days. That stuff came up and I went, “Oh my God.” I never knew I was on youtube that many times in my life.

ON YOUNG CORNERS

Dimitri Patterson and Benny Sapp, we were going to play them a lot. The day I decided to play them a lot, I can’t remember, but it was the same play in the same game, they both get hurt. Dimitri misses like five games. Brackenridge stepped in and was magnificent playing nickel, but we had to make sure we only did certain things. We didn’t want to overload him.

What we asked him to do he really did well. You saw that in college. He doesn’t have top end speed to play outside, but he can play outside in certain defenses. The Patterson and Benny Sapp thing killed us, because we wanted to play them a lot more.

ON BUILDING A DEFENSE

When you looked at what’s happened here since 2001, Trent Green cost a one, went to two Pro Bowls, four years, five years here. Willie Roaf cost a fourth, he went to four Pro Bowls, so you can’t say that the one and the four you gave up for those guys was bad.

What is bad after three years, you’re already getting concerned because the age is growing on the player. Dick Vermeil was a second, so you lost three choices right there. There were some other things done, where you didn’t have the draft choices, so what we tried to do was find the right guys.

I’ve heard talk about Sammy Knight, but Sammy Knight was probably close to the end his career at that time. God bless him with the way that he played this year, and I mean that very sincerely, but he couldn’t run anymore when we got him. But he still was a factor and helped a lot of young guys.

Carlos Hall, I knew there probably could be a problem with him physically, but every time he stepped on the field he was pretty good at Tennessee when I was there.

Pat [Surtain] probably ended up being the best of all those guys, but what we needed was to fill, because there was no other way to get guys. When you go out in the UFA market it’s tough. It’s tough because a lot of things happen fast, and it’s just like the draft. Everyone says well draft this guy. You want to draft that guy, but when the ping pong balls come out and everybody starts picking, all hells breaks loose and it’s a tough deal.

ON TAMBA HALI

Tamba Hali missed five sacks, clean. He has the guy wrapped and somehow he misses him. He has 7.5 sacks, if he gets those five, then what do people say?

The other thing is, he plays on the left side. Eighty-five percent of the time the tight end with a right-handed quarterback is on your left, offense’s right. To rush the passer from a head up position is really, really hard. He had 7.5 sacks this year.

ON HERM EDWARDS

If you build a stopgap deal, you’re going to get through maybe a year, a year and a half, but what if you decide you’re going to build a real defense and it’s going to take time?

That’s when Herm showed up. When I sat down to talk to him, I said “Oh boy, he sees this thing the way I see it,” and that’s why he and I get along. I respect him totally and people always talk about my language? The reason I don’t use it around him is because I respect the man. He’s made me a better coach in the last two years. He has made me a better person and a better coach.

This isn’t about the defense. This is more about what he’s trying to do for this team. The thing we’ve got, we’ve got a few points where the progress is showing.

We’re about to take a sledgehammer to this defense and figure exactly out how we can take the next step. We were 22nd in ‘05, then we crawled a couple yards away from 15th and now we’re crawling into 13th. That’s yards. That’s not a measuring stick. The idea is not to give them touchdowns. Don’t let them score.

htismaqe
02-07-2008, 09:34 PM
The next thing, we’re at the Senior Bowl, and I’m trying to give him a rundown on the organization on how we do things. One time we’re sitting in the car and he says “Don’t expect me, if it’s third and 15, to make some exotic play and get you out and keep moving the ball. Gun, you’re going to sit next to me in the box, I’m going to nudge you and say get ready, I’m going to run the draw and we’re going to punt that ball back down the field.”

You've got to be kidding me.

unothadeal
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM
ON CHAN GAILEY
When Chan came on the staff – I really like him, he’s been a head coach and he understands our only job is to protect the head coach at all costs – he said something about the acquisition of a player, possibly. When he said that, he hit me right between the eyes. Because then, Chan Gailey came back to me. I remembered everything about him. When he mentioned this player’s name to help on the offensive line, everything became clear.

I was speechless for about the next 10 minutes. For me that’s kind of hard sometimes. I looked at him and said son of a gun, finally a real guy showed up.

Clayton, You were dead on about this board going nuts about what Gun had to say about Chan Gailey. I'm going to go throwup

KcMizzou
02-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow. I'm not sure if I wanna laugh or cry.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM
How happy is New England?

ZootedGranny
02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I'd say that comment is unbelievable, but it's not.

I want to blast myself.

Smed1065
02-07-2008, 09:43 PM
ROFLMAO.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Romeo Crennel began as DC in New England in 2001. 2002 was when Gun became LB coach in Tennessee. What position was he being offered in New England in 2002??

unothadeal
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
That is unbelievable. That is honestly unbelievable that a NFL offensive co-ordinator DOESN'T want the ball.

Smed1065
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
As an opponent.

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Clayton, You were dead on about this board going nuts about what Gun had to say about Chan Gailey. I'm going to go throwup

Hehe.

I knew you guys would go postal over that.

Hey, at least the coaching staff all sees eye to eye.

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Romeo Crennel began as DC in New England in 2001. 2002 was when Gun became LB coach in Tennessee. What position was he being offered in New England in 2002??

Defensive coordinator I imagine. I'm guessing Gunther was offered the job first, then declined.

RNR
02-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Defensive coordinator I imagine. I'm guessing Gunther was offered the job first, then declined.
ROFL

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 09:50 PM
That is unbelievable. That is honestly unbelievable that a NFL offensive co-ordinator DOESN'T want the ball.

I was sitting there listening to the interview, and I couldn't believe he said that. I smiled as I wrote it down, knowing you guys would freak.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I think Crennel took over the DC final year of Gun's HC stint with KC. Does he want us to believe NE was going to fire Crennel?

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I think Crennel took over the DC final year of Gun's HC stint with KC. Does he want us to believe NE was going to fire Crennel?

Crennel was hired in 2001. Gunther was fired from KC in 2000. So they were being considered for the same position in 2001 it appears. Makese sense.

Smed1065
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Repost for 3 threads.............IMO

Smed1065
02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Crennel was hired in 2001. Gunther was fired from KC in 2000. So they were being considered for the same position in 2001 it appears. Makese sense.

Makese

Smed1065

Makese?

Pro?

smittysbar
Can you believe Chan said that...here we go again.

Good article Clayton, thanks for sharing

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Makese?

Pro?

Eeng Ching Wong? Ohn No Shee Shum Piee?

THEY SAY YOU BRADE RUNNA!

Smed1065
02-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Good try.

LOL

Nice professionalism.

Even I have spell check.

LOL

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM

I thought Gun was the LB coach in 2002 and 2003. Did he take 2001 off, or am I wrong when he was LB coach?

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I thought Gun was the LB coach in 2002 and 2003. Did he take 2001 off, or am I wrong when he was LB coach?

Gunther was in Tennessee in 2001.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Forget it, I see he was LB coach for three years beginning in 2001. Odd to take a LB position over a DC position though.

CoMoChief
02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
****in Christ.

We may not score a TD next season.

The Bad Guy
02-07-2008, 10:06 PM
The more this guy talks, the less interested I become in football.

His ability to motivate is over. His rhetoric is old and played out. It's the same shit sandwich, but on a different style of bread each year.

He knew Carlos Hall would be a problem physically, but yet still wanted him?

Is he really blaming the draft picks spent on Trent Green, Vermeil and Roaf as to why this defense was down chips? Seriously? Why didn't he talk about Junior Siavii, who was his project?

F off, Gun.

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 10:07 PM
His ability to motivate is over.

None of the young players feel that way.

The Bad Guy
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
None of the young players feel that way.

I don't give a **** how the young players feel. His defenses have regressed EVERY year he's been here during his 2nd stint.

His message is stale and old.

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 10:11 PM
His defenses have regressed EVERY year he's been here during his 2nd stint.

How do you figure?

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
ON THE INTERNET

One of the great things I’ve done – maybe the dumbest thing I’ve ever done – I decided to Google my name because I’m looking for a stat from the old days. That stuff came up and I went, “Oh my God.” I never knew I was on youtube that many times in my life.

This is too funny, BTW. I have this mental image of Gunther in his office googling his name...clicking into youtube...gasping...

the Talking Can
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Gunther is a ****ing idiot. A liar. An ego-maniac. And a total ****ing embarrassment.

And what in the **** is this???:

this is so god damn depressing....these clowns are taking us to the Super Bowl? You ****ing kidding me?

**** that stupid asshole.

"I...I...Me...Me...I...Me...I...Me...Me...I...Me...I..."

unothadeal
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I like how he says "get you out" like it's Gunther's fault the offense can't get a first down.

the Talking Can
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
CP, Herm, Gun, and an OC who WANTS to punt

laughing stock

clown school

Fish
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Ha ha missing sarcasm???

Simplex3
02-07-2008, 10:22 PM
clown school
At least clowns are funny.

htismaqe
02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
This is too funny, BTW. I have this mental image of Gunther in his office googling his name...clicking into youtube...gasping...

I imagine he plugs his name into the Google half expecting to read that he's being fired again...

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
That had to be a deadpan joke by Gailey, because there's a famous story about Gunther blasting Paul Hackett for exactly the same statement. Assuming that gochief's quote is accurate in its entirety, read it again and you'll see it. Gunther was merely noting that Gailey was yanking his chain.

Mecca
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
With all these coaching and this kind of thinking we better draft defensive players all the time because we're gonna need a historically good defense.

Iowanian
02-07-2008, 10:30 PM
This doesn't excite me as a fan.....It makes me want to shoot myself in the head with a nail gun.

unothadeal
02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
That had to be a deadpan joke by Gailey, because there's a famous story about Gunther blasting Paul Hackett for exactly the same statement. Assuming that gochief's quote is accurate in its entirety, read it again and you'll see it. Gunther was merely noting that Gailey was yanking his chain.
Must be. "Finally a real guy showed up," just wouldn't make sense if Gailey was serious. We had that same type of coach last year in Solari

htismaqe
02-07-2008, 10:35 PM

You just made my day. Thank you.

HypnotizedMonkey
02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
did the Chantaur REALLY say that? or was he blowing the smoke up Gun's arse??

Chiefnj2
02-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Was Gunther joking about the rest of the interview? I hope you are right, but I just don't see the deadpan joke.

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 10:48 PM

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not.

Here's Gunther speaking about Chan Gailey. Make up your own mind.

<EMBED SRC="http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/changailey.mp3" WIDTH="160" HEIGHT="16" align="middle" AUTOPLAY="false" CONTROLLER="true" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
</EMBED>

cdcox
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
If we run run 3 draws on 3rd and long during the first game of the season, I guess it's safe to assume he wasn't joking?

dirk digler
02-07-2008, 10:55 PM
That Gailey quote is embarrassing.

I am already depressed about next season

The Bad Guy
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
How do you figure?

Maybe if you got your nose out of his ass, you could think logically.

I don't have time to dig up stats, but look at defensive numbers from the first half of the year, and then look in the 2nd half.

Show me how his defenses have gotten better.

Mecca
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
The defense this year was 9 yards better than the year before...big improvement eh?

FAX
02-07-2008, 11:06 PM
"The next thing, we’re at the Senior Bowl, and I’m trying to give him a rundown on the organization on how we do things. One time we’re sitting in the car and he says “Don’t expect me, if it’s third and 15, to make some exotic play and get you out and keep moving the ball. Gun, you’re going to sit next to me in the box, I’m going to nudge you and say get ready, I’m going to run the draw and we’re going to punt that ball back down the field.”

Would anyone care to explain to me what the hell this means?

FAX

the Talking Can
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
"The next thing, we’re at the Senior Bowl, and I’m trying to give him a rundown on the organization on how we do things. One time we’re sitting in the car and he says “Don’t expect me, if it’s third and 15, to make some exotic play and get you out and keep moving the ball. Gun, you’re going to sit next to me in the box, I’m going to nudge you and say get ready, I’m going to run the draw and we’re going to punt that ball back down the field.”

FAX

allow me to translate this arcane piece of Hermetica:

"ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE"

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Maybe if you got your nose out of his ass, you could think logically.

I don't have time to dig up stats, but look at defensive numbers from the first half of the year, and then look in the 2nd half.

Show me how his defenses have gotten better.

Ah you were talking about over the course of the year.

Yes, that is a problem.

FAX
02-07-2008, 11:12 PM
allow me to translate this arcane piece of Hermetica:

"ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE"

I mean, is he really saying that our fabulous, new OC is planning to punt the ball on 3rd and 15 and Gun thinks that's great? Am I reading that correctly? Do game situations matter? What if we're on the 15? Is this some kind of exo-reality, nightmarish, soul-killing, dream state? What kind of friggin' coaching staff do we have?

FAX

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
The defense this year was 9 yards better than the year before...big improvement eh?

I'm not sure what to think about our defense. I know it was hamstrung by the offense. But at the same time, the defense benefits from the fact opposing teams KNOW they don't have to score more than 14 points to beat us on average. But then, there's the fact we only gave up 28 touchdowns, which is really good. But then I realized we got ****ing gashed in the running game, which is bad. So in the end, I don't know what to think.

I want to trust Gunther, because I like him, and didn't like mildly ripping him earlier this year, but at the same time, it's been four years, and all of you are ripping Gunther, and I trust some of you. So in the end, I don't know what to think.

But maybe it would have been better if Herm Edwards was hired here IMMEDIATELY after Marty resigned. Then Herm could have done it right from day one, we never would have had the Gunther as HC debacle, maybe Derrick Thomas wouldn't be dead today, and we'd be multiple Super Bowl winners. Or maybe Carl, being frisky and uber arrogant as he was 10 years ago, with hardly any critics, maybe he would have completely hamstrung Herm from the past. And maybe he would have fired Herm after two years, instead of Gunther, and then hired Vermeil, who would not have drafted well, but would have signed lots of free agents. And probably fired Gunther, and hired Greg Robinson again. Because that's just how cursed we are. In the end I don't know what to think.

Boon
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM

FAX

It means we aren't running an arena league offense here. This is the NFL!

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I mean, is he really saying that our fabulous, new OC is planning to punt the ball on 3rd and 15 and Gun thinks that's great? Am I reading that correctly? Do game situations matter? What if we're on the 15?

Chan said he would run a DRAW PLAY first, THEN punt.

And Chan actually said he would run the draw if we were backed up in our own territory. Now whether that means the 49 and in, is anyone's guess.

Boon
02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
If LJ's foot is still swolled, who will run all these draws?

FAX
02-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Chan said he would run a DRAW PLAY first, THEN punt.

And Chan actually said he would run the draw if we were backed up in our own territory. Now whether that means the 49 and in, is anyone's guess.

Thanks. For a minute there, I thought he said not to plan on getting a first down or anything if we happen to be in a third and fifteen situation.

FAX

Rain Man
02-07-2008, 11:21 PM
The more I look, the more I'm sure that Gailey was yanking his chain. Note the "I was speechless..." comment.

Anyone else remember the story about Hackett? I remember it like it was yesterday. Here's a Jets fan who remembers it, too.
http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5346&page=3

"Oh, and since we're talking about coordinators and systems, you are actually giving an imbecile like Paul Hackett the benefit of the doubt.

A man who was fired from every program or team he worked. A man who was fired by Landry, who never fired people. The same assclown who called for a dumpoff pass that was designed to be short of the first down, on 3rd and 8, causing Gunther Cunningham to ask him why. Hackett's answer? "We'll just try again later.""

Boon
02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
The same assclown who called for a dumpoff pass that was designed to be short of the first down, on 3rd and 8, causing Gunther Cunningham to ask him why. Hackett's answer? "We'll just try again later.""

God I can't believe I'm still a Chiefs fan!

booger
02-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Go to kcchiefs.com

Conversation with Gun on Chiefs TV

for the chan explanation: 3rd and 15 on our own 10 yard line. get a few yards, punt and play field position for the team. Listen for yourselves

FAX
02-07-2008, 11:27 PM
I think I'm having a nervous breakdown. How can you support a team that basically gives up in advance on 3rd and 15? What kind of message does that send to the players? Why should they bother trying? To avoid getting choked in class?

FAX

Boon
02-07-2008, 11:31 PM
I think I'm having a nervous breakdown. How can you support a team that basically gives up in advance on 3rd and 15? What kind of message does that send to the players? Why should they bother trying? To avoid getting choked in class?

FAX

They'll probably draft some players who think the same way. After thirty plus years of fandom, I'm about to give up myself.

smittysbar
02-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I hope rainman is right, and he was poking fun, then Gun was being sarcastic.

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I hope rainman is right, and he was poking fun, then Gun was being sarcastic.

Listen to the audio. It doesn't sound that way to me.

Gunther's comment was in the context of losses last year to Green Bay, Denver and Indianapolis. All games where the offense committed turnovers deep in our own end of the field, resulting in scores for the opposition.

The Chiefs are afraid.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-07-2008, 11:44 PM
The more I look, the more I'm sure that Gailey was yanking his chain. Note the "I was speechless..." comment.

Anyone else remember the story about Hackett? I remember it like it was yesterday. Here's a Jets fan who remembers it, too.
http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5346&page=3

"Oh, and since we're talking about coordinators and systems, you are actually giving an imbecile like Paul Hackett the benefit of the doubt.

A man who was fired from every program or team he worked. A man who was fired by Landry, who never fired people. The same assclown who called for a dumpoff pass that was designed to be short of the first down, on 3rd and 8, causing Gunther Cunningham to ask him why. Hackett's answer? "We'll just try again later.""

I wonder if he's STILL waiting for that list.

blueballs
02-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Anybody who can understand one word of this
would have to have too extensive of a knowledge of idiot
not to be a idiot

FAX
02-07-2008, 11:49 PM
This is ghastly. No offense should ever take the field with a pre-determination that 3rd and 15 is already in the books as a failure. What in God's name are these guys thinking? Even if you don't think you can make a play, why would you telegraph to every offensive player on your team and every enemy defensive guy that 3rd and long is a nice down in which to take a blow?

FAX

stanleychief
02-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Hopefully his Internet search didn't lead him to the Wikipedia article on himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Cunningham

Despite struggles in his first year, recent additions such as Patrick Surtain, Jared Allen, Jarrad Page, Derrick Johnson, Ty Law and Tamba Hali have resulted in little to no improvement and feelings of frustration. As of December 25th, 2007, the Chiefs defense is ranked a pedestrian 20th out of 32, and has struggled to stop opposing offenses in crucial moments.

That's got to sting.... just a little bit. :D

Hammock Parties
02-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Hopefully his Internet search didn't lead him to the Wikipedia article on himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Cunningham

That's got to sting.... just a little bit. :D

Watch Gunther edit it as soon as the Chiefs vault into the top 10 next year!

blueballs
02-08-2008, 12:00 AM
McCain probably ate
a lot of pussy in prison

Smed1065
02-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I was sitting there listening to the interview, and I couldn't believe he said that. I smiled as I wrote it down, knowing you guys would freak.

Yeah we all waited for this?

Wonder why U have to have videos.

Cause U suck as a "reporter".

Just MO and several here, I bet?

Hammock Parties
02-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Yeah we all waited for this?

Wonder why U have to have videos.

Cause U suck as a "reporter".

Just MO and several here, I bet?

Sorry?

Hammock Parties
02-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Because if you play man to man, you’re not going to give up 28 touchdowns. You might have given up 45. So you try to take care of people on the field and get them in the right position. You have to know the speed of certain people and you have to play cautious.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1773/jonesdrewtdjags320x250vr5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MadMax
02-08-2008, 01:19 AM
This is ghastly. No offense should ever take the field with a pre-determination that 3rd and 15 is already in the books as a failure. What in God's name are these guys thinking? Even if you don't think you can make a play, why would you telegraph to every offensive player on your team and every enemy defensive guy that 3rd and long is a nice down in which to take a blow?

FAX

Exactly! Draw draw draw a freakin picture Chan WTF! That disturbed me also :BLVD: Gonna be another looong season, but we all knew that anyway.... Hell Im not saying air it out everytime, just mix it up alil and please dear GOD stop with the wr screen 2 yards in the backfield..

MadMax
02-08-2008, 01:26 AM

FAX

sad indeed Mr. Fax, seems they are a breeding ground for the loser mentality.. :( I sure long for coaches who tell the players to shove it up the opponents ass and beat them no matter what it takes.

philfree
02-08-2008, 01:37 AM
So i read what gun said and then as i started to back track through the thread I saw no correlation. I'm pretty sure gun said that he did the best he could with the players he had. Is that so hard to understand? Well for you jaded bunch of pricks i reckon it is.

PhilFree:arrow:

HIChief
02-08-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm going to put on my rose-colored glasses and choose to believe that if Chan Gaily is faced with 3rd and 14, he's going down field with it. Or, maybe Gunther's throwing up a smoke screen. I cannot believe otherwise--that Gun would actually reveal to the world such a crucial strategy just doesn't make sense.

DaWolf
02-08-2008, 02:19 AM
WTF is Gun talking about? How the hell does this guy ever make it through a job interview? Do any of these quotes make any sense?

One of the great things I’ve done – maybe the dumbest thing I’ve ever done – I decided to Google my name because I’m looking for a stat from the old days.

Wow, Gun sets his sights high! No 12 defense in yards here we come!

Hootie
02-08-2008, 04:00 AM
you guys are all ****ing morons if you think 3rd and 15 is a good down to try and get fancy to convert a 1st...that's a disaster down and for every time a team converts on that down 5 turnovers occur.

the Talking Can
02-08-2008, 06:37 AM
So i read what gun said and then as i started to back track through the thread I saw no correlation. I'm pretty sure gun said that he did the best he could with the players he had. Is that so hard to understand? Well for you jaded bunch of pricks i reckon it is.

PhilFree:arrow:

did he send you a gift basket too?

Chiefs_5627
02-08-2008, 06:50 AM
you guys are all ****ing morons if you think 3rd and 15 is a good down to try and get fancy to convert a 1st...that's a disaster down and for every time a team converts on that down 5 turnovers occur.

Kinda what i was thinking, that statement is being blown way out of proportion.

htismaqe
02-08-2008, 07:05 AM

1) Nobody here thinks that you should try to convert EVERY 3rd and 15.

2) Running a draw play on 3rd and 15 in October is FAR different from talking about it in February and ADMIRING yourself for it.

I hate to do this, but GOATSE said it best:

Listen to the audio. It doesn't sound that way to me.

Gunther's comment was in the context of losses last year to Green Bay, Denver and Indianapolis. All games where the offense committed turnovers deep in our own end of the field, resulting in scores for the opposition.

The Chiefs are afraid.

htismaqe
02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I get the feeling nobody is gonna understand what I just said.

Let me put it this way:

Even Jesus Saunders ran draws on 3rd and long. I was at a game in 2001 where Priest broke one for about 65 yards (got called back on a ticky-tack penalty on Gonzo).

The GOAL behind running a draw play, just like running playaction, is to fake the defense out and surprise them. Of course, this coaching staff doesn't appear to understand that concept.

My biggest problem with the quote isn't that he said we're gonna run a draw on 3rd and 15. It's that he said "I’m going to run the draw and we’re going to punt that ball back down the field."

In other words, he's conceding before he ever runs the play that it's not going to work. What's wrong with running the draw play in a situation where it CAN work? What's wrong with saying "I’m going to run the draw and IF IT DOESN'T WORK, we’re going to punt that ball back down the field."

morphius
02-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Well, that didn't raise my expectations at all.

Fat Elvis
02-08-2008, 09:15 AM

You apparently haven't been paying attention to what teams do against our defense on 3rd and 15 the past few years.....

Coogs
02-08-2008, 09:20 AM
My god that was painful to read. No wonder we have a lousy team.

Coogs
02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Is this offensive linemen going to be a rookie, or is this going to be the big shocker that Nick forcasted this off-season?

Dave Lane
02-08-2008, 09:31 AM

I don't think he was kidding at all. I reread it and he was deadly serious

HypnotizedMonkey
02-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I think the times should be over when you submit on 3rd down. Didn't we learn this lesson from Solari??? Go for the FIRST DOWN. I don't think the Chantaur realizes that our punter is a WEAPON and 3 F-ing yards on a draw play on 3rd down is NOT going to make a crap of a difference!!!
For his sake.. He better be F-ing kidding.

If a touchdown was a vagina, KC's coaches would be gay.. because its starting to seem like they don't even WANT to stick it in there.

Chiefnj2
02-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I wonder if this is the attitude on every team:

"he’s been a head coach and he understands our only job is to protect the head coach at all costs"

Coogs
02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
ON THE COVER 2

The last couple of years I had to do something that’s not as much fun. You play Cover 2 for a reason. Think about the way I played the way I did as a defensive coordinator. Think about it. It’s not hard to figure out.

I don't get this. I thought he and Herm were on the same page. And it sounds as if he is throwing players under the bus again. Not to mention all of the ones he personally asked for. Nearly ran over every single one of those in the "How to build a defense" piece.

Rausch
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
1) Nobody here thinks that you should try to convert EVERY 3rd and 15.

2) Running a draw play on 3rd and 15 in October is FAR different from talking about it in February and ADMIRING yourself for it.

I hate to do this, but GOATSE said it best:

Let's also consider that our QB next year still hasn't finished a full season (16 games) starting, and unless greatly improved, will be throwing behind a terrible line...

Chiefnj2
02-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I don't get this. I thought he and Herm were on the same page. And it sounds as if he is throwing players under the bus again. Not to mention all of the ones he personally asked for. Nearly ran over every single one of those in the "How to build a defense" piece.

This was good too:

"Because if you play man to man, you’re not going to give up 28 touchdowns. You might have given up 45."

Okay. So, uh Gun, why did you go to an attacking man-on-man defense when you returned to the Chiefs as DC?

There are so many things that make you scratch your head. He wanted all those free agent players and was on the record saying how they were his picks, etc., and now he says Knight couldn't run anymore, he knew Hall had injuries, etc. WTF?

FringeNC
02-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I try to be optimistic about the coming season. It'd be a lot easier to do so if the coaching staff would just STFU, and quit reinforcing my priors.

Coogs
02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
This was good too:

"Because if you play man to man, you’re not going to give up 28 touchdowns. You might have given up 45."

Okay. So, uh Gun, why did you go to an attacking man-on-man defense when you returned to the Chiefs as DC?

There are so many things that make you scratch your head. He wanted all those free agent players and was on the record saying how they were his picks, etc., and now he says Knight couldn't run anymore, he knew Hall had injuries, etc. WTF?

I went to kcchiefs.com, and went through the archives of past coaches comments. Interestingly enough, they have dumped nearly all of the old Gun Q&A sessions from their listings.

shaneo69
02-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Haslett: “Gun, that young defensive line you’ve got? You are lowballing me, and you know exactly why you did it.”

I'd ask for an explanation of this, but there is no way in hell anyone knows WTF he is talking about.

Coogs
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Haslett: “Gun, that young defensive line you’ve got? You are lowballing me, and you know exactly why you did it.”

I'd ask for an explanation of this, but there is no way in hell anyone knows WTF he is talking about.

In that same piece, he pats himself on the back about our 3rd down defense...

We led the NFL in third down defense, which was the best since 1997, or something like that.

Now I am not going to go back and look up all the 3rd down defensive stats for the past 10 years for all of the teams, but I have a hard time believing this defense was the best of the last 10 years on 3rd down. And referring to '97, wouldn't that have been Gun as well?

BigChiefFan
02-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Is this offensive linemen going to be a rookie, or is this going to be the big shocker that Nick forcasted this off-season?I'm wondering if it could be Alan Faneca.

Coogs
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm wondering if it could be Alan Faneca.

Could be. Did Gailey work with Faneca in Pittsburgh?

Bill S Preston
02-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Faneca would be the perfect hire. Over the hill offensive guard whose best games are behind him. Load him up with a new contract, and watch him wither away.....

RustShack
02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
It makes so much sense!

stonedstooge
02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
When the ship sinks, I hope to see Gunther waving for help. Protect the Head Coach at all costs. Looks to me to be a clean wipeout of the whole group. Like I've posted before, if they start out 0-4 or 0-5 will Clark have the balls to sink the ship? It sounds like it needs to go down with the whole crew aboard. I think Gunther has been on the playing field banging heads with guys with helmets on. Does he has Alzheimers or what.

bringbackmarty
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
faneca is the next roaf, his ass is a big cushy pillow for lj to fall on.

Coogs
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Faneca would be the perfect hire. Over the hill offensive guard whose best games are behind him. Load him up with a new contract, and watch him wither away.....

I agree. Goes against the whole youth movement thing.

Coogs
02-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Protect the Head Coach at all costs.

Yet he sort of throws Herm under the tires a couple of times doesn't he?

FAX
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
I get the feeling nobody is gonna understand what I just said.

Let me put it this way:

Even Jesus Saunders ran draws on 3rd and long. I was at a game in 2001 where Priest broke one for about 65 yards (got called back on a ticky-tack penalty on Gonzo).

The GOAL behind running a draw play, just like running playaction, is to fake the defense out and surprise them. Of course, this coaching staff doesn't appear to understand that concept.

My biggest problem with the quote isn't that he said we're gonna run a draw on 3rd and 15. It's that he said "I’m going to run the draw and we’re going to punt that ball back down the field."

In other words, he's conceding before he ever runs the play that it's not going to work. What's wrong with running the draw play in a situation where it CAN work? What's wrong with saying "I’m going to run the draw and IF IT DOESN'T WORK, we’re going to punt that ball back down the field."

Exactly the point, Mr. htismaqe. It is a stupid, inane statement by any reasonable standard of measure.

What are we going to do on 3rd and 15? Run a draw and punt. Absolutely no expectation that we might be able to convert. In other words, "Don't worry about making an effort to get the first down, offense. We don't expect it and that's not Chiefs football."

FAX

booger
02-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Go to kcchiefs.com

Conversation with Gun on Chiefs TV

for the chan explanation: 3rd and 15 on our own 10 yard line. get a few yards, punt and play field position for the team. Listen for yourselves

For some reason, this is no longer on the frontpage at kcchiefs.com

booger
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
On the countdown to kickoff segment, Herm mentioned Price will coach some with the QB's in addition to being WR coach.

Hammock Parties
02-08-2008, 05:29 PM

It's simple. We had a good third down defense, and Jim and Gun we're talking. Gunther was all yeah I don't know how we're doing it, we can't play man-to-man coverage. And Jim was all LOL Gunther you card, you know exactly why you did it -your young defensive line. LOL GUNTHER! OH YOU!

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2008, 06:06 PM
I tried telling you guys about Chan, but same ol same ol around KC...

siberian khatru
02-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I finally got around to reading this. And now I wish I hadn't.

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2008, 09:47 PM
It's simple. We had a good third down defense, and Jim and Gun we're talking. Gunther was all yeah I don't know how we're doing it, we can't play man-to-man coverage. And Jim was all LOL Gunther you card, you know exactly why you did it -your young defensive line. LOL GUNTHER! OH YOU!

Gunther's a moron.

I can't wait until 2009 when everyone ever associated with Carl Peterson has gone the way of the whooly mammoth.

shaneo69
02-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm guessing that when everybody here was ripping Gunther for having no pride when he came back as DC in 2004, nobody realized that he had secretly received a lifetime contract from Carl to make up for the internet firing after the 2000 season.

Our defensive "turnaround" under Gunther has been the slowest rebuilding project ever. After four years, we still only have two starters on defense who are better than average. And no, Donnie's not one of them.

TEX
02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
I wish I hadn't read all but the D.T. Part...Fkn pathetic.

TEX
02-09-2008, 09:22 AM
I try to be optimistic about the coming season. It'd be a lot easier to do so if the coaching staff would just STFU, and quit reinforcing my priors.

Yep. My worst fears have come true...

BigChiefFan
02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree. Goes against the whole youth movement thing.
So does Turley, Drummond, Edwards, etc...The rebuilding is a myth. They started taking that stance when it was clear they couldn't compete.

Hammock Parties
02-09-2008, 09:30 AM
So does Turley, Drummond, Edwards, etc...The rebuilding is a myth. They started taking that stance when it was clear they couldn't compete.

CARL did. I have a feeling Herm wanted it this way from the beginning, but let Carl do his thing. Ooops!

stonedstooge
02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Yes it was amazing to me that it became a "rebuilding year" with a "secret plan" after the defense collapsed mid way through the season. A complete coverup for the ineptness of this squad of morons that is currently running the team. And I will guarantee you they could win every game next year and it wouldn't change my mind about them. Carl is a pompus ass, Herm is a complete f**king idiot, and now Gunther has placed himself under the wheels on his own by spouting moronic things that place the new O.C. under the bus as well. Hope the ship goes down with all aboard.

BigChiefFan
02-09-2008, 09:50 AM
CARL did. I have a feeling Herm wanted it this way from the beginning, but let Carl do his thing. Ooops!Well, Carl is still here-nothing has changed except for the Chiefs mantra of rebuilding. It's the same now as it was the day Carl took over and will continue to be the same ol, same ol as long as that idiot is in charge.

BTW, Herm isn't a very good coach anyway, so I don't think he can turn this shipwreck around. his team is REGRESSING, not improving.

Also, if we were rebuilding, why did we sign Donnie old ass Edwards LAST YEAR? Why did we START old ass Huard? Hmmm-that doesn't equate to rebuilding. Don't buy the horseshit hype.

The Bad Guy
02-10-2008, 07:14 AM
I tried telling you guys about Chan, but same ol same ol around KC...

You were right. How could I have been soo foolish?

I finally saw the light when the bi-polar defensive coordinator, who talks out of his ass 99% of the time, talked about how Gailey is going to punt every down.

Chan Gailey is the least of this team's problems.