PDA

View Full Version : Royals Ink Mike Maroth to minor league deal

Hammock Parties
02-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Man, personally i think that is a fairly decent move getting him on a minor league deal because he wasn't all that bad for the Tigers at all. He had a fire to himself that just seemed like he wanted to kick ass out there and was pissed when stuff didn't seem to go well and tried to make himself better. He's not that old either from what i understand. Good pickup.

Hammock Parties
02-08-2008, 11:45 PM
on a side note, the guy won double digit wins in 04 and 05 when the Tigers were vying for the worst record in the history of the league.

Mecca
02-08-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure he had a major arm operation...

Hammock Parties
02-08-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty sure he had a major arm operation...

actually ive been thinking the same thing. never hurts to try though i guess. at least it was a minor league deal i guess...

shaneo69
02-09-2008, 12:26 AM
OMG this guy was awful for the Cards last year. I went to one of the games that Maroth started at Busch; he couldn't get through two innings and was up at about 75 pitches when he got yanked. Painful to watch. I think he ended up about 0-6 with a 7.5 ERA or something like that.

DJ's left nut
02-09-2008, 12:43 AM
He was topping out at 82 mph last season. His curveball rolls up there with no real snap and despite having 'fastball' just over 80, it seemed like his 'changeup' came in at about 78.

He was the worst pitcher on the staff (a truly remarkable feat on last year's squad) and possible the worst pitcher I've ever seen.

If he starts a single game for you this year, consider your season over. I'd probably go ahead and pull the cord if he makes the squad at all.

He is just that bad.

shaneo69
02-09-2008, 12:49 AM
He was topping out at 82 mph last season. His curveball rolls up there with no real snap and despite having 'fastball' just over 80, it seemed like his 'changeup' came in at about 78.

He was the worst pitcher on the staff (a truly remarkable feat on last year's squad) and possible the worst pitcher I've ever seen.

If he starts a single game for you this year, consider your season over. I'd probably go ahead and pull the cord if he makes the squad at all.

He is just that bad.

Maroth was somehow able to make Wellemeyer look like a good option in the #5 starter's role.

RJ
02-09-2008, 08:59 AM
on a side note, the guy won double digit wins in 04 and 05 when the Tigers were vying for the worst record in the history of the league.

Off the top of my head, didn't he also lose double digits?

I remember when he got to the Cards last season. First game he was lights out, looked like he'd found a home. I don't recall another decent outing.

Mike Maroth is not a very good pitcher. Having said that, I've no doubt he'll log some major league innings for the Royals in 2008.

nychief
02-09-2008, 09:05 AM
the cardinals are terrible, and they didn't want him... that being said, if he is healthy, he is worth a look.

Marco Polo
02-09-2008, 10:19 AM
the cardinals are terrible, and they didn't want him... that being said, if he is healthy, he is worth a look.

I'm a Royals fan only behind being a Cardinals fan but the Cardinals aren't terrible. They were devastated with injuries. You put a completely healthy Cardinals team on the field and they can compete for the NL Central.

eazyb81
02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Highly unlikely he contributes much, but there's also no risk is signing him to a minor league deal.

nychief
02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
can compete for the NL Central.

Exactly... the NL central is a joke. Look the Royals are terrible, but the cardinals are a joke at the moment...but they still have the best hitter in baseball. Look at their rotation. Carpenter blew his arm out - and he is over 30... is he ever going to be the same? Braden Looper. Sheesh.

tk13
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't see any reason to get worked up either way... the only way he logs any major league innings is if he pitches well. He looked terrible at the end of last year... if he pitches like that he isn't going to come near the 25 man roster. It's a long way from the days where we'd make a signing like this and plug him in as the #3 starter instantly. We've got plenty of lefties in the pen and plenty of options that can do better than Maroth last year.

Eleazar
02-09-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't get why Cardinals fans roll in here to beat up on a guy we signed to a minor league deal. "He was worse than Wellemeyer and you guys signed him". Well, Todd Wellemeyer was the worst player on our team until we canned him, and then you guys brought him in. :shrug:

There's nothing for us to lose here. He was reasonably effective when he was healthy. If he goes to Omaha and sucks, oh well.

MIAdragon
02-09-2008, 01:56 PM
the cardinals are terrible, and they didn't want him...

That doesn’t always hold water Kyle Snyder got punted by the Roylas and thrived in Boston.

leviw
02-09-2008, 02:51 PM
They needed a left-hander. De La Rosa is the only lefty with experience on the staff. What does it hurt?

Mi_chief_fan
02-09-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't get why Cardinals fans roll in here to beat up on a guy we signed to a minor league deal. "He was worse than Wellemeyer and you guys signed him". Well, Todd Wellemeyer was the worst player on our team until we canned him, and then you guys brought him in. :shrug:

I don't recall a Cards fan saying anything like that. Someone said that he made Welemeyer look like "a good option," but that doesn not equate to Wellemeyer being good, just that Maroth ws Godawful.

I guess I just don't get why Royals fans are so goddamned defensive.
:shake:

beavis
02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I guess I just don't get why Royals fans are so goddamned defensive.
23 years without going to the playoffs will do that to a person. :deevee:

shaneo69
02-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Let's just call this Jason LaRue for Mike Maroth deal a wash and let it go at that...

Eleazar
02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Let's just call this Jason LaRue for Mike Maroth deal a wash and let it go at that...

I think that Maroth could probably roll up a better OBP... :shake:

Coach
02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Keep in mind that most pitchers coming back from a major surgery will struggle.

I'd say that it's more of a fair observation when you give him another year after the year he came back from a arm surgery.

KUCFChiefs
02-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Maroth, even in his best seasons, relied too heavily on his defense to get outs. Not much upside with this pickup, but finesse lefties have that way about them.

tk13
02-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I don't know, you guys did sign Juan Gonzalez.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
it's all good ...... minor leagues deals are worth the risk.

shaneo69
02-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Personally, I think the Cardinals signing of Ron Flores to a minor league deal is a better move...

louie aguiar
02-09-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm a Royals fan only behind being a Cardinals fan but the Cardinals aren't terrible. They were devastated with injuries. You put a completely healthy Cardinals team on the field and they can compete for the NL Central.

You're joking right? The cards will be lucky to finish fourth.

Mi_chief_fan
02-10-2008, 08:06 AM
You're joking right? The cards will be lucky to finish fourth.
A couple of thoughts:

While I agree that the Cards are in transition (unloading excess baggage like Rolen, Edmonds, Wells, Taguchi in favor of young guys) if you look objectively at the Brewers (who are probably the most talented team), Cubs, Astros and Reds, there really isn't alot of differences, in that they all have major flaws. IMO,1-5 is at best a guessing game.

Cubs get alot of hype because they're the media darlings, but have serious bullpen issues, not to mention they have Soriano hitting leadoff. Brewers could be great, if their rotation could stay healthy.

Reds can really hit. They actually have ok starting pitching (Harang is a stud), and spent a lot of money on a closer this off-season. But, they also hired Dusty Baker to manage.

Astros have a potent lineup, and Oswalt is the division's best pitcher. But it's thin after him.

Cards still have the best player in the division, and a rock-solid bullpen, but huge ? is the rotation, and Albert needs protection.

And, of course, let's remember that there are really only 6 good NL teams, and none of them (Padres, D-Backs, Dodgers, ROckies, Phillies and Mets) are in the Central

Coach
02-10-2008, 11:36 AM
A couple of thoughts:

While I agree that the Cards are in transition (unloading excess baggage like Rolen, Edmonds, Wells, Taguchi in favor of young guys) if you look objectively at the Brewers (who are probably the most talented team), Cubs, Astros and Reds, there really isn't alot of differences, in that they all have major flaws. IMO,1-5 is at best a guessing game.

Cubs get alot of hype because they're the media darlings, but have serious bullpen issues, not to mention they have Soriano hitting leadoff. Brewers could be great, if their rotation could stay healthy.

Reds can really hit. They actually have ok starting pitching (Harang is a stud), and spent a lot of money on a closer this off-season. But, they also hired Dusty Baker to manage.

Astros have a potent lineup, and Oswalt is the division's best pitcher. But it's thin after him.

Cards still have the best player in the division, and a rock-solid bullpen, but huge ? is the rotation, and Albert needs protection.

And, of course, let's remember that there are really only 6 good NL teams, and none of them (Padres, D-Backs, Dodgers, ROckies, Phillies and Mets) are in the Central

Not sure where that bolded part came from, since the Cubs pen wasn't a problem last year, and I don't see how it's a problem this year. The only "?" mark is the closer, which would be Dempster, but other than that, everybody else is decent enough.

Sure-Oz
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I also read that we are interested in Kevin Mench

Mi_chief_fan
02-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Not sure where that bolded part came from, since the Cubs pen wasn't a problem last year, and I don't see how it's a problem this year. The only "?" mark is the closer, which would be Dempster, but other than that, everybody else is decent enough.

They also need another lefty, as Scott Eyre really struggled last year, and Kerry Wood can't pitch consecutive days.

Also, I listen to CHicago radio regularly, apparently Soriano isn't over his quad injury from last year.

And the "only" question mark may be closer, but that alone is a BIG ? .

CHENZ A!
02-22-2008, 10:50 PM
I also read that we are interested in Kevin Mench

LMAO