PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't cholesterol lowering pills allowed over the counter?

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-10-2008, 04:30 PM
The FDA denied some drug by Merck couple of months ago.

Surgeon groups were divided if they should be allowed.

It's the no.1 killer. Why not?

Rain Man
02-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Maybe people would take too many and their cholesterol would drop to zero and blood would start squirting from their fingertips during every heartbeat.

I don't know that for sure. It's just a theory. Another theory might be that you can make crack out of them.

Brock
02-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Flax oil.

Herzig
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
The FDA denied some drug by Merck couple of months ago.

Surgeon groups were divided if they should be allowed.

It's the no.1 killer. Why not?

With all statin drugs, you need to have your liver checked periodically. Also, there are a few other side effects for some people (muscle pain, etc.) That's my guess why it's not OTC. However, a generic lipitor will be available in 2009 and there are several statins that have a generic version already. The key thing is that you can't just take one and eat whatever you want. You still need to watch what you eat and exercise.

I just turned 37 and I've been on Lipitor for over 2 years. My Doc prescribed it as an aggressive preventative treatment because my Cholesterol was borderline high(229) for my age/diet and my horrible family history.

blueballs
02-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I need a prescription for Cheerios

Brock
02-10-2008, 04:50 PM
might increase HDL but wont decrease LDL

and will likely give you the shits.

Wrong.

Also wrong.

Mr. Laz
02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Why aren't cholesterol lowering pills allowed over the counter?http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/279/moneybagsil5.jpg

Skip Towne
02-10-2008, 05:16 PM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/279/moneybagsil5.jpg
I think we got to the root of the problem here.

a1na2
02-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Omega-3 Fish Oil capsules can lower your cholestoral and triglicerides significantly and are not very expensive.

I take Vytorin but I get better results when I take one Omega-3 capsule a day. 50 points on Cholestoral and about the same with the triglicerides.

penguinz
02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/279/moneybagsil5.jpgYou are a joke.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-10-2008, 05:32 PM
That liver thing. I hear it's important.

GoHuge
02-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Because they require constant blood and liver monitoring. If they where OTC a doctor would have no way of monitoring the progress/dosage.

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Still makes no sense. It's the no. 1 killer.

How many have died of LIPITOR?

Use a lower dosage and report any muscle pains if they develop.

cdcox
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
I heard from a coworker that you have to give give these cholesterol drugs to 100 people with bad cholesterol to prevent 1 heart attack. Many of those 100 might have undesirable side effects. I wonder if it is worth it?

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I heard from a coworker that you have to give give these cholesterol drugs to 100 people with bad cholesterol to prevent 1 heart attack. Many of those 100 might have undesirable side effects. I wonder if it is worth it?

I'm 6'1, 215 and in excellent physical condition. I rarely eat fast food or red meat, mostly salads, chicken, fish, soups, etc. I had my cholesterol level tested last year. It was 293.

The doctor thought it might be a mistake because I had eaten that morning (no one told me to fast for 6 hours prior) so I re-tested the following week. I ate only heathly soups and organic berry smoothies for 7 straight days so we'd get an accurate reading.

My re-test said 293.

Essentially, the doctor said that my body creates too much cholesterol, so he put me on Simvastin (Zocor). I've been on it for 5 months without any side effects and retested last week.

My cholesterol is now 203.

I'm retesting in another 6 months but assume that it will only continue to go down. With my insurance, it costs me $5 dollars per month.

IMO, $5 per month is worth it, especially with no side effects, to take a medicine that may prevent a massive coronary in 20 years (I'm 42 now).

I plan to live MUCH longer that.

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I would love for there to be an affordable pill that everyone can take thats safe.

Mr. Laz
02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
You are a joke.
Blow me, Doc.

if it goes OTC then the doctors stop getting to run 1,000 patients per day thru the turnstiles for a 10 second doctors visit. Then charging them a copay and the insurance companies a mint in a non-stop cash cow of an operation.

If it goes OTC then the medical companies can't charge $1,000 for a medication that cost $1.00 to make.

OTC breaks down that gravy train, babeeeeee.

cdcox
02-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm 6'1, 215 and in excellent physical condition. I rarely eat fast food or red meat, mostly salads, chicken, fish, soups, etc. I had my cholesterol level tested last year. It was 293.

The doctor thought it might be a mistake because I had eaten that morning (no one told me to fast for 6 hours prior) so I re-tested the following week. I ate only heathly soups and organic berry smoothies for 7 straight days so we'd get an accurate reading.

My re-test said 293.

Essentially, the doctor said that my body creates too much cholesterol, so he put me on Simvastin (Zocor). I've been on it for 5 months without any side effects and retested last week.

My cholesterol is now 203.

I'm retesting in another 6 months but assume that it will only continue to go down. With my insurance, it costs me $5 dollars per month.

IMO, $5 per month is worth it, especially with no side effects, to take a medicine that may prevent a massive coronary in 20 years (I'm 42 now).

I plan to live MUCH longer that.

I'll have to ask him to repeat the statistics. Basically it was that 3 out of 100 people who have high cholesterol have a major heart attack over an x year period (not sure what x is, that is what I need to check).

Of people who take the cholesterol lower drug, the major heart attack rate in the same x year period drops to 2 out of 100 people. So basically, you treat 100 people: 97 of them would not have had a heart attack any way, 2 of them would have had a heart attack whether they took the drug or not, and you prevented 1 heart attack.

It is just something to think about in the context of universal health care. Not sure where I come down, but it deserves some thought.

DaneMcCloud
02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I'll have to ask him to repeat the statistics. Basically it was that 3 out of 100 people who have high cholesterol have a major heart attack over an x year period (not sure what x is, that is what I need to check).

Of people who take the cholesterol lower drug, the major heart attack rate in the same x year period drops to 2 out of 100 people. So basically, you treat 100 people: 97 of them would not have had a heart attack any way, 2 of them would have had a heart attack whether they took the drug or not, and you prevented 1 heart attack.

It is just something to think about in the context of universal health care. Not sure where I come down, but it deserves some thought.

Well for me, it was a no-brainer. I haven't had any issues or any side effects and it certainly isn't going to hurt me in the long run. It's preventative medicine. And while I understand that preventative medicine usually benefits the drug companies, personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry in this particular instance.

Especially at $5 dollars a month which is by no means is cost prohibitive.

And it *may* extend my life.

cdcox
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Well for me, it was a no-brainer. I haven't had any issues or any side effects and it certainly isn't going to hurt me in the long run. It's preventative medicine. And while I understand that preventative medicine usually benefits the drug companies, personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry in this particular instance.

Especially at $5 dollars a month which is by no means is cost prohibitive.

And it *may* extend my life.

I'd probably do the same thing in your circumstance.

BucEyedPea
02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
their are a number of cholesterol lowering drugs.
The safest are probably Niacin which one should be able to get OTC.
Excellent mention...in combo with flax oil. It really drops it and is safe. But the recommendations of what is right level of cholesterol is also too low and not good for you.

BucEyedPea
02-10-2008, 09:11 PM
How many have died of LIPITOR?
I knew an old man on the net, who was complaining of muscle weakness and told him that this had a lot of lawsuits on it for such. He went to his doctor and asked about it and was told it was true. Govt is reinvestigating it.

Groves
02-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Some doctor friends of mine have pointed out that most of the small print in those ads tell you that there has been no link to taking these medicines to a reduction in heart attack or heart disease.

All they often do is make your number go down, which is not the same as reducing your risk for heart problems.

DaneMcCloud
02-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Some doctor friends of mine have pointed out that most of the small print in those ads tell you that there has been no link to taking these medicines to a reduction in heart attack or heart disease.

All they often do is make your number go down, which is not the same as reducing your risk for heart problems.

I have a friend who saw Danielle Sargent naked in the shower.

I also have a friend who has "shocking" news about the 2008 Chiefs offseason plans.

Thanks for your input. :rolleyes: