PDA

View Full Version : Bilicheat caught cheating

Gracie Dean
02-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Belichick has been taping since 2000, Goodell tells Specter

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer
February 13, 2008
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Bill Belichick has been illegally taping opponents' defensive signals since he became the New England Patriots' coach in 2000, according to Sen. Arlen Specter, who said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told him that during a meeting Wednesday.

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

Specter said Goodell gave him that information during the 1-hour, 40-minute meeting, which was requested by Specter so the commissioner could explain his reasons for destroying the Spygate tapes and notes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkCC_fu47y3B2U4XjVI6d_Y5nYcB?slug=ap-goodell-specter&prov=ap&type=lgns

blueballs
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Bowl wining coach***

the Talking Can
02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
awesome

pr_capone
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Specter needs to GTFO of the NFL's business.

IMHO, the only reason Specter is bothering with this at all is that he sees the press Mitchell has been getting with MLB.

It is, after all, easier to get re-elected when people actually have heard of your name.

*sigh*

greg63
02-13-2008, 10:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!! It cant be! :rolleyes:

Valiant
02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
guess goodell didnt want to perjur himself and lie to congress.

There was definetly more cheating going on than the NFL and patriots were letting on to the fans and public.

Of course there is, but there will be no good to come of any of this if they showed proof that the Pats cheated multiple times.. Would be bad PR for the league, kill a franchise and have to fire multiple people.. Or destroy the tapes and hope it never comes back up..

What should happen though(my opinion) if they find more evidence that was not destroyed :

The Pats forfeit all the titles and playoff wins(unfortunately the NFC gets some more titles..)

Belicheat and all of his staff involved are banned from the NFL.. Including coaches elsewhere for new teams.. They went along with it when they were there..

Instead of fining them, just take away 1st and 2nd round picks for the next four years.. Hopefully that is enough to convince teams not cheat(get caught)...

pikesome
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Now we know how you turn a series of unimpressive rosters in to a dynasty. It took the Cowboys Aikman, Irvin, Newton, Norton, Novacek, Williams, and a bunch others to do it.

Mecca
02-13-2008, 10:30 PM

IMHO, the only reason Specter is bothering with this at all is that he sees the press Mitchell has been getting with MLB.

It is, after all, easier to get re-elected when people actually have heard of your name.

*sigh*

He's also an Eagles fan....

Either way I don't care, they are far from the only team that does things like that. It's like thinking the only people that do roids are the ones that get caught.

SBK
02-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Either way I don't care, they are far from the only team that does things like that. It's like thinking the only people that do roids are the ones that get caught.

Bah, if you don't punish cheaters you just get more. If you violate the rules you should get in trouble.

People using roids didn't violate baseballs rules, so it's comparing apples and oranges....

DJJasonp
02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
You know....I wiki'd specter a while back and was very surprised to find out how far he went back.

Specter was on the warren commission (investigated the JFK assasination).

That pretty much tells me all I need to know about his credibility.

And yes...I agree....dont these politicians have better things to worry about?

We have homeless, crime, etc. etc....and specter's worried about the NFL.

Our tax dollars at work.....

acesn8s
02-14-2008, 01:23 AM
this is shocking news.

Eleazar
02-14-2008, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't really be surprised if they were taping defensive signals this whole time.

Undertaker #59
02-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Now we know how you turn a series of unimpressive rosters in to a dynasty. It took the Cowboys Aikman, Irvin, Newton, Norton, Novacek, Williams, and a bunch others to do it.

Of course, Jimmy Johnson said he taped signals too.

KcMizzou
02-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I amazes me how many people think cheating (in their favorite sport), is no big deal.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2008, 08:29 AM
How long has the anti-taping rule been a rule?
I actually called the NFL PR dept and they said they had to check it as they didn't even know.

Undertaker #59
02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
How long has the anti-taping rule been a rule?
I actually called the NFL PR dept and they said they had to check it as they didn't even know.

I've never found a good answer for that.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2008, 08:44 AM
I've never found a good answer for that.
Yeah! I had forgotten about it. I think I'm gonna check into it some more.
If it was, it was never really enforced either...until the letter sent out last year.
One reason the Packers didn't make a big deal was because they were doing it too. How come it didn't help them?

I read a book by a former NFL linebacker, Tim Green, about the inside workings of the NFL. He says there is a section behind the players on the sideline that is an area for cameras and copies of prints made for use during the game. In that area cameras are allowed to do filming. What wasn't clear was how far they could step out. I'll have to read it again.

el borracho
02-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Belichik should be suspended for a year, minimum.

Rausch
02-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I amazes me how many people think cheating (in their favorite sport), is no big deal.

If true it might be one of the biggest scandals ever. This wasn't one world series, it wasn't one dirty ref, this was 3 super bowl titles and an obscene amount of regular season wins. It was a dynasty built on cheating. And it's not a few guys on the team like a roid/drug problem.

It's all of them.

Wow. What a blow that's got to be to Pats fans this offseason... :eek:

BucEyedPea
02-14-2008, 11:23 AM
According to that article, the commish told Spectre that Bellichick admitted doing it and that he didn't consider it against the rules. That seems to match that it was done right out in the open for many to see. They didn't sneak or hide it in the stand the way the Dolphin's did at the end of the 2006 season game.

I'll admit that BB was arrogant about it after getting the letter that everyone got at the season start but that still seems to indicate he thought it was a stupid rule because it was part of an arsenal of tools he used to win games. Again they didn't even try to hide it but didn't it flagrantly out in the open.

None of the players saw such footage at half-time because some of the players at the season start were in disbelief. It was kept as an overall file along with regular allowed film.

But the Pats denied doing it during the Ram's walk through. So BB admits it earlier but there's a denial on the Rams incident. How is that hiding anything?

The film was taken away in the first quarter of the first game with none used afterwards. They still had a great season. If SI says 11 teams have done the same how has it helped those teams so much?

Hammock Parties
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
So the question becomes is Bill Belichick a great coach, or just perceived as one because he cheated?

Brock
02-14-2008, 11:25 AM
I find myself becoming more and more happy the Patriots lost.

crazycoffey
02-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Either way I don't care, they are far from the only team that does things like that....

Link? Proof? or is this just your ass talking?

I wouldn't really be surprised if they were taping defensive signals this whole time.

I kinda read the article as saying that, proof that he had - or are you saying the pats have since before 2000?

"There was confirmation that there has been taping since 2000, when Coach Belichick took over," Specter said.

crazycoffey
02-14-2008, 11:30 AM
So the question becomes is Bill Belichick a great coach, or just perceived as one because he cheated?

That seems to be the prevailing question through all this, doesn't it....

pikesome
02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
According to that article, the commish told Spectre that Bellichick admitted doing it and that he didn't consider it against the rules. That seems to match that it was done right out in the open for many to see. They didn't sneak or hide it in the stand the way the Dolphin's did at the end of the 2006 season game.

So if the guilty doesn't think it's wrong, it's not? If they don't hide it, it's not? And, the capper, if someone else did it too then it's not wrong?

I'll admit that BB was arrogant about it after getting the letter that everyone got at the season start but that still seems to indicate he thought it was a stupid rule because it was part of an arsenal of tools he used to win games. Again they didn't even try to hide it but didn't it flagrantly out in the open.

So once he was informed, pointedly, that it was, in fact, against the rules he said "**** it, I don't like that rule"? And that makes it ok?

None of the players saw such footage at half-time because some of the players at the season start were in disbelief. It was kept as an overall file along with regular allowed film.

But the Pats denied doing it during the Ram's walk through. So BB admits it earlier but there's a denial on the Rams incident. How is that hiding anything?

Are you really wondering how that's "hiding" something? The team has lied (about doing it, for sure; knowing about it being wrong, probably), pardon me if anything the Pats, BB, or Kraft says is suspect.

The film was taken away in the first quarter of the first game with none used afterwards. They still had a great season. If SI says 11 teams have done the same how has it helped those teams so much?

The team is built on cheating. How many games did the camera win for them? 10%? 20% 50%? 100%? One of the aspects that BB has been constantly lauded for is the ability to tailor his game plan to their opponents. The fact they taped hand-signals and calls makes that "game planning" seem to be less about skill in coaching and more about cheating.

Look, I understand you like the Pats but nothing about this is defensible. Nothing. They admitted to a habit of cheating, not once, not twice, repeatedly. They use all of the normal methods to deflect, "It wasn't that often. "It didn't help." "Everyone else does it." These excuses are probably taken from the "Corporate Malfeasance Defense Handbook".

StcChief
02-14-2008, 12:13 PM

*sigh*Arlen Spector needs to retire.

Brock
02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Link? Proof? or is this just your ass talking?

"After seeing the footage, former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson - who works as a host on Fox's pregame show - said on the show: "This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us."

Somebody's ass is talking. Hint, it's yours.

BucEyedPea
02-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Just the facts pikesome...not necessarily a complete defense. It was not hidden. BB admitted it...what more do you want? That's the part I don't get. And No I don't like it. I wish after the letter he queried it instead of defied it. On the other hand you and others are pat haters. Plenty of those without the scandal. Bottom line is it helps one team, it helps other teams doing it ....so that does not prove anything. It does create a black cloud though.

crazycoffey
02-14-2008, 01:48 PM
"After seeing the footage, former Cowboys and Dolphins coach Jimmy Johnson - who works as a host on Fox's pregame show - said on the show: "This is exactly how I was told to do it 18 years ago by a Kansas City Chiefs scout. I tried it, but I didn't think it helped us."

1) He said they are "far from the only team doing it"
2) KC Scout not equal to Patriot Head Coach

02-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Why Specter is involved in this is beyond me. the Patriots broke NFL rules, not the law. and to all of those Patriots fans defending this as common place, well then why didn't Bellichick invite the press and his opponents scouts to his pre super bowl walk through? of course, if it's ''not that big of a deal''?

Also, Jimmy Johnson hasn't coached in a long time. it's amazing what new technology we have now.

Brock
02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
1) He said they are "far from the only team doing it"
2) KC Scout not equal to Patriot Head Coach

1. You think if the Chiefs are doing it, a bunch of other teams aren't?

2. Bill Belichick wasn't caught using the camera himself.

pikesome
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Just the facts pikesome...not necessarily a complete defense. It was not hidden. BB admitted it...what more do you want? That's the part I don't get. And No I don't like it. I wish after the letter he queried it instead of defied it. On the other hand you and others are pat haters. Plenty of those without the scandal. Bottom line is it helps one team, it helps other teams doing it ....so that does not prove anything. It does create a black cloud though.

I'm not a Pat hater, I'm a cheater hater. And yes, I aware that by hating cheaters I am, in fact, hating the Pats but...

stonedstooge
02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
You think Herm would be able to remember what the hand signals even were. He taint smart enough to cheat. He probably has someone tape our defensive hand signals so he can look at them in private, if he knows how to set the equipment up right, and tries to figure out what our defensive plays were after the game.

Skip Towne
02-14-2008, 02:12 PM
It "didn't help them" so they kept doing it for 7 years.

acesn8s
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM
It "didn't help them" so they kept doing it for 7 years.3 SB trophies later...

FAX
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm not making any accusations yet, but if you haven't yet seen the police sketch of the New York psychologist chopper cleaver killer, you should check it out. It looks remarkably like Belichick.

FAX

Gracie Dean
02-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm not making any accusations yet, but if you haven't yet seen the police sketch of the New York psychologist chopper cleaver killer, you should check it out. It looks remarkably like Belichick.

FAX

hehe

Gracie Dean
02-15-2008, 10:06 PM
APNewsNow: Lawsuit seeks compensation for Super Bowl loss

February 15, 2008
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A lawsuit filed Friday by a former St. Louis Rams player and others seeks millions of dollars in damages from the alleged taping of Rams practices by the New England Patriots before the 2002 Super Bowl.

The Patriots won the game 20-17 in the Superdome.

The $100 million suit, filed on behalf of former Rams player Willie Gary in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, names the Patriots, team owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick.

teedubya
02-15-2008, 11:51 PM

No shit.

RNR
02-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Gee whiz the red white and blue money making wartime Patriots take another blow! The only reason Goodell did not step in and hand those bastards a perfect season was the storm brewing. Left to their own abilty they shit the bed ROFL Let me see a bussiness worth billions has a red white and blue cash cow no way they help them :hmmm: I laughed my ass off watching Goodell hand the trophy away, the look on his face was like he was handing it to a meth head that knocked up his daughter ROFL

Ugly Duck
02-16-2008, 02:00 AM
APNewsNow: Lawsuit seeks compensation for Super Bowl loss

February 15, 2008
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A lawsuit filed Friday by a former St. Louis Rams player and others seeks millions of dollars in damages from the alleged taping of Rams practices by the New England Patriots before the 2002 Super Bowl.

The Patriots won the game 20-17 in the Superdome.

The $100 million suit, filed on behalf of former Rams player Willie Gary in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, names the Patriots, team owner Robert Kraft and head coach Bill Belichick.

Best fuggin news I've heard in quite a while! Sue them tuckers & strip 'em of their Lombardis!

Rausch
02-16-2008, 02:12 AM

Somebody's ass is talking. Hint, it's yours.

So Marty was cheating and ****ing STILL couldn't win a damned playoff game?

WTF!?! :cuss:

ClevelandBronco
02-16-2008, 02:48 AM

Bull-i-shit.

ClevelandBronco
02-16-2008, 02:50 AM
So Marty was cheating and ****ing STILL couldn't win a damned playoff game?

WTF!?! :cuss:

Now that's an offense that should lead to a one year suspension.

ClevelandBronco
02-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Best fuggin news I've heard in quite a while! Sue them tuckers & strip 'em of their Lombardis!

And give them to your pathetic team, no doubt. Get over it.

Logical
02-16-2008, 11:47 AM

Amen this is no big deal and certainly not as bad as what the Broncos did during their Super Bowl mini dynasty, and they barely got a slap on the wrist. These people suggesting taking away the Patriots titles and banning Belicheck and staff from the NFL for life, are delusional.

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Cheaters!!!

greg63
02-18-2008, 09:11 AM
What's up with the Planet?