PDA

View Full Version : Im going to Washington D.C.

SLAG
02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I will be going to Washington D.C

I have never been

Any planeteers want to meet up and drink a brew-dog while im out there?

Any recommendations for sights to see

I will be there Mostly Mon-Thurs but mostly for work but will have the evenings free any suggestions?

I hope to get to at least check out this

http://www.nationalshrine.com/

BWillie
02-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Do Roger a favor and put him out of his misery

SLAG
02-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Do Roger a favor and put him out of his misery

Dang and I was gonna bring him some Delatestryl and some Humatrope

acesn8s
02-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Go to 1600 Pennsylvania and drop trough. They really like it when you do that.:D

ChiefaRoo
02-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Go to the Air and Space Museum (Smithsonian) it's neat. I also highly recommend the new WW2 memorial and the Vietnam Vet Memorial. There used to be a really good beer on tap place called the Brickskeller or Brickcellar, something like that. It's underground. Huge beer menu. I enjoyed it. The Capitol itself is huge and it's almost impossible to see it all. Oh yeah, go to the Capitol dome and take the rotunda tour and the Hall of Statues tour, old Senate, maybe the new Senate if they're not in session. I did that albeit prior to 9/11, Very cool.

Bump
02-14-2008, 05:10 AM
I went there to see a Wizards game in Jordan's last season, didn't really do much else besides see the sights.

SCTrojan
02-14-2008, 07:19 AM
IMO seeing the changing of the guard at Arlington Cemetery is a must. There's a metro stop there, so pretty easy to get to.

Old Town Alexandria is pretty good, as well as Georgetown - which has a younger crowd.

And if this is your first time to D.C., you have to do the obligatory tour around the mall so you can see the presidential monuments, the White House and Capitol Hill.

Anyway, have fun.

seclark
02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
the korean war veterans memorial
vietnam veterans memorial wall

sec

noa
02-14-2008, 08:13 AM
For a great, cheap meal, go to Chinatown Express in Chinatown. They make their noodles fresh, you can watch the guy do it, and you can get a huge bowl of them for only $5.95 (enough for an entire meal). Great deal.

If you're into huge beer selections, check out the Brickskeller near Dupont Circle. They have tons of beer. If you're more into bourbon, there's a place in Adams Morgan called, surprisingly, Bourbon. They also have good food.

I was a big fan of the U Street area. They have lots of good food (particularly Ethiopian) and bars. Also, they have Ben's Chili Bowl, which is good for after leaving a bar.

Also, the National Cathedral is probably worth a visit.

SLAG
02-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks any more suggestions. esp with not alot of money

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Kick Bush in the Mangina for me=Hillery too!!

ClevelandBronco
02-17-2008, 01:04 AM
I will be going to Washington D.C

I have never been

Any planeteers want to meet up and drink a brew-dog while im out there?

Any recommendations for sights to see

I will be there Mostly Mon-Thurs but mostly for work but will have the evenings free any suggestions?

I hope to get to at least check out this

http://www.nationalshrine.com/

If you really want to see D.C., you'll have to move there for a couple of years and make it a point to go to a new destination daily. D.C and the surrounding area is fascinating and overwhelming.

And except for the people with foreign accents, the people there suck. Every freaking one of them.

Buehler445
02-17-2008, 01:09 AM
You have to go to the Washington and Lincoln Memorials. The Veitnam wall is there also. Have fun!

FAX
02-17-2008, 01:13 AM
All excellent recommendations, Mr. SLAG. I would also try to make time to visit the National Cathedral. It is a phenomenal site and well worth the time to tour.

FAX

02-17-2008, 01:18 AM
If you have time, try and go to Gettysburg,VA. the old civil war battle fields are very cool.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/main-ms.htm

ClevelandBronco
02-17-2008, 01:20 AM
You have to go to the Washington and Lincoln Memorials. The Veitnam wall is there also. Have fun!

The wall is humbling.

The old man was a Marine in Korea, so I'm more moved by that memorial. He was injured and I know he had to kill the guy who bayonetted him in the leg. He may have had to kill others. I don't know. He doesn't like to talk about it and I don't want him to have to revisit whatever went on, so I don't ask anymore.

ClevelandBronco
02-17-2008, 01:23 AM
All excellent recommendations, Mr. SLAG. I would also try to make time to visit the National Cathedral. It is a phenomenal site and well worth the time to tour.

FAX

Agreed. The Cathedral is worth seeing.

But it's all worth seeing.

One more thing: Crab cakes. Eat them in massive quantities.

CHIEF4EVER
02-17-2008, 04:39 AM
If you have time, try and go to Gettysburg,VA. the old civil war battle fields are very cool.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/main-ms.htm

Gettysburg, VA? :p

StcChief
02-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Slag going to National Cathedral should be on top of your list

burt
02-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Whatever you do....avoid Adept Havelock and Patteeu......:eek:

MIAdragon
02-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Driving in DC is horrible, don’t do it. The subway system is great but there are several lines you really don’t want to take.

02-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Gettysburg, VA? :p

Dick! get back in your soccer thread! :D

JBucc
02-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Punch jAZ in the face.

SLAG
02-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Driving in DC is horrible, don’t do it. The subway system is great but there are several lines you really don’t want to take.

I dont have a choice on this one, Im renting a car and have to drive

02-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I dont have a choice on this one, Im renting a car and have to drive

Do you have a portable GPS device? they are the shit.

SLAG
02-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Do you have a portable GPS device? they are the shit.

No I dont, and I dont know if my Avis Car will have one

I do have google maps on my phone and thats been pretty good to me so far

blueballs
02-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Find out what the DC really stands for

02-17-2008, 10:57 AM
No I dont, and I dont know if my Avis Car will have one

I do have google maps on my phone and thats been pretty good to me so far

The prices have gone way down. Garmin (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134) makes a great product.

I got this one for Christmas

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/assets/images/products/010-00401-10/en/cf-lg.jpg

I don't know how much you have to drive, or how far. but for me this thing kicks ass. it talks to you and shows you resteraunts and bars and lodging.

Buehler445
02-17-2008, 11:04 AM
The prices have gone way down. Garmin (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134) makes a great product.

I got this one for Christmas

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/assets/images/products/010-00401-10/en/cf-lg.jpg

I don't know how much you have to drive, or how far. but for me this thing kicks ass. it talks to you and shows you resteraunts and bars and lodging.

I got a niuvi for Christmas. It rocks out. But when the little lady and I went, we didn't have a problem traveling. I don't know if there is a busy season, but we went it was December.

Cleaveland Bronco is correct. It is all overwhelming.

stonedstooge
02-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Mr Slag: If you jump the fence at the White House, we will all get to see you on t.v. You could carry a sign to plug ChiefsPlanet.

blaise
02-18-2008, 12:18 AM
I lived in DC for three years, about a block and a half from the National Cathedral. It is a cool place to see, there's a Darth Vader bust somewhere on the Cathedral as a sort of gargoyle. If you're going out at night for a beer, I would say to go to a place called 4 P's (Ireland's 4 Provinces)- it's aon Connecticut, it's a safe neighborhood, and it's a very cool DC bar where locals go.
Goergetown is fun, but it's pricey and a lot of tourists. There was a place called Old Glory down there when I lived there that had an awesome pulled pork sandwich.
If you see a sign that says Anacostia- turn around.
I think the American History Museum blows the Air & Space museum away.

SLAG
02-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Ok just made it to my hotel, after much drama with the car rental place, I finally made it to Gaitherburg , thinking about goin to the bar for dinner and a drink

Rain Man
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry, I wanted to meet you, but I couldn't find a good airfare.

SLAG
02-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry, I wanted to meet you, but I couldn't find a good airfare.

Its cool dont worry bout it, I just drank a few Younglings Lager at JJ Muldoons and am feeling better about the day