PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Trufant?

Chiefs=Champions
02-14-2008, 11:40 PM
I think there was a thread already about him, but for those who have actually watched this guy play is he worth a look? I think he's only 26 or so and from the limited bits I’ve seen of him he looks like a real talent. Also his stats are very impressive, not that I’m the type who puts a lot of stock in stats.... :p

I know the usual arguments of: were going with youth 26 is too old, cover two doesn’t require good corners, he will cost too much (that he will), and I’d rather draft players is going to come up. Yet realistically all those who cant say that having bad corners this year was a liability would be lying. So maybe corners are more important to the Tampa Two than originally thought.

Also with so many needs in this draft, it’s unlikely that we are going to fill each position with quality players, so more than likely we are going to have to use free agency a little. So why not pick up a shore player (Tell me otherwise) than waste a time on players that may never amount to anything (Sapp, Brackenridge, Patterson)...?

Although I say all this, I am talking in a questioning sense, so please don’t take me for an utter idiot...mmm maybe just a little but anyways :thumb: , what say you residents and lurkers (see thread) of ChiefsPlanet...? :hmmm:

Mecca
02-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Wouldn't do that.....

In a cover 2 having a really expensive corner isn't something you HAVE to have. It's nice but in the state this team is in I don't think it's a good idea.

For what he'll probably want you could likely sign an Odom, Cory Williams and Jacob Bell and actually make the team alot better. A great DL can cover a secondary.

the Talking Can
02-14-2008, 11:46 PM
he's going to get a whopper contract....

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2008, 11:56 PM
I started the original thread about him. He's from Seattle and plays for Seattle. The amount of coin it would take to lure him away from here would make it an unfavorable deal. I wish it could happen, but unfortunately, it won't. He is a great player and would be an outstanding addition to this team.

Bump
02-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't be upset if we got him

Luzap
02-15-2008, 01:37 AM
Wouldn't do that.....

In a cover 2 having a really expensive corner isn't something you HAVE to have. It's nice but in the state this team is in I don't think it's a good idea.

For what he'll probably want you could likely sign an Odom, Cory Williams and Jacob Bell and actually make the team alot better. A great DL can cover a secondary.

I believe you are correct about the Cover 2, but I also believe the Chiefs don't want to have to play in it ALL the time ~ they'd love to have the versatility to man-up at various given points of a game (and we'll never be a dominating defense until we can).

Personally, I think we'll be surprised by the Chiefs this off season. If they don't match the offer the NFL's leading sacker is bound to get, we'll have two extra 1st round picks and a whole lot of cap money to spend.

Luz
if not trufant then who???...

ChiefsCountry
02-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Nope a crappy secondary can get by if you have a great DL ie NY Giants. Lets get the DL nailed down first.

Chiefs=Champions
02-15-2008, 02:20 AM
I understand all of what your saying, i'd still like to have a shot though, i mean what's the harm in trying? If he goes to high, then so be it, but what if for some reason or another we did get him at a reasonable price???

Mr. Flopnuts
02-15-2008, 02:24 AM
I understand all of what your saying, i'd still like to have a shot though, i mean what's the harm in trying? If he goes to high, then so be it, but what if for some reason or another we did get him at a reasonable price???

That's what I said too. He was born here in Seattle. High school, college, now the NFL. He doesn't want to leave. Seattle will pay him adequetely at a minimum. It would take buckets of money and gold to get him to leave.

Chiefs=Champions
02-15-2008, 02:29 AM
What about the Broncos, not saying that they are good, but they do have a great pass defense with a very, very medicore line...

Chiefs=Champions
02-15-2008, 02:30 AM
That's what I said too. He was born here in Seattle. High school, college, now the NFL. He doesn't want to leave. Seattle will pay him adequetely at a minimum. It would take buckets of money and gold to get him to leave.

Not everyone likes their home town... :p

ChiefsCountry
02-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Really its not worth the money at the stage the Chiefs are at. If we were one or two players away from a Super Bowl, yeah I go for it but for a rebuilding squad that plays the cover 2 - corner isnt a smart investment.

Chiefs=Champions
02-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Ok. lets say we can potentially get him for 40 mill with about 7 garanteed, is he worth it? Without the state of the Chiefs in mind...?

evolve27
02-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Personally, I think we'll be surprised by the Chiefs this off season. If they don't match the offer the NFL's leading sacker is bound to get, we'll have two extra 1st round picks and a whole lot of cap money to spend.

Luz

Deangelo Hall. Pacman Jones.

Brock
02-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Draft your own.

Chiefnj2
02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Ok. lets say we can potentially get him for 40 mill with about 7 garanteed, is he worth it? Without the state of the Chiefs in mind...?

The money would be much more than that. Without looking it up, IIRC Clements got an 8 year 80 mil deal with about 20 guaranteed.

Micjones
02-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Personally, I'd rather have Randall Gay.
He won't command top dollar.

And then I'm hoping to see this team draft a Corner in the opening three rounds.

Tribal Warfare
02-15-2008, 10:49 AM
KC wouldn't be able to sign him if they are serious in resigning Allen to a long term contract

Brock
02-15-2008, 10:50 AM
And then I'm hoping to see this team draft a Corner in the opening three rounds.

I'd bet pretty heavily on that.

Micjones
02-15-2008, 10:52 AM
We'll have good options in front of us if we do.

dj56dt58
02-15-2008, 10:57 AM
nah..build the line first(resign JA). Surtain, Sapp,Brack, and Patterson will work for next season imo. Honestly we would do wo Surtain.

El Jefe
02-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Paging Joe Seahawk..............

Mama Hip Rockets
02-16-2008, 12:18 AM
What about the Broncos, not saying that they are good, but they do have a great pass defense with a very, very medicore line...

the broncos suck.

unlurking
02-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Deangelo Hall. Pacman Jones.
Ban anyone wanting PacBitch.

unlurking
02-16-2008, 12:30 AM
I believe you are correct about the Cover 2, but I also believe the Chiefs don't want to have to play in it ALL the time ~ they'd love to have the versatility to man-up at various given points of a game (and we'll never be a dominating defense until we can).

Luz
I hope you're wrong about JA, but I agree with you that being able to mix up coverages is a good thing.

Joe Seahawk
02-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Paging Joe Seahawk..............

I don't think the seahawks will franchise him, they will probably allow him to test the waters, but give the seahawks a chance to match the offers..

He's going to be expensive, i hope we can find a way to keep him.

Not much else to say except that he's a hell of a cover corner coming off his best year. Franchising him is a 9.4 mil hit though.. That might be too much for the Hawks to fork over right now..

unlurking
02-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't think the seahawks will franchise him, they will probably allow him to test the waters, but give the seahawks a chance to match the offers..

He's going to be expensive, i hope we can find a way to keep him.

Not much else to say except that he's a hell of a cover corner coming off his best year. Franchising him is a 9.4 mil hit though.. That might be too much for the Hawks to fork over right now..
Good, welcome to the land of BBQ Mr. Trufant!

kcchiefsus
02-16-2008, 01:23 AM
KC wouldn't be able to sign him if they are serious in resigning Allen to a long term contract

Actually they would be able to. We already have around $20 million in cap room and by cutting just the players named in todays KC Star article we would save around another $17 million. We have plenty of room.

Rausch
02-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Voyager...are you there?

I've used sage and fennel seed...burned...chanted the draft day spells and incantations.

This is your boy...Voyager...are you among us...?

Mecca
02-16-2008, 01:26 AM
You don't build your team around corners......

You build it front to back...if you want the Chiefs to get better and spend money this offseason the targets should be Rod Coleman, Antwan Odom, Cory Williams, Jacob Bell. If they could get 3 of those guys the team would be much better.

unlurking
02-16-2008, 01:42 AM
You don't build your team around corners......

You build it front to back...if you want the Chiefs to get better and spend money this offseason the targets should be Rod Coleman, Antwan Odom, Cory Williams, Jacob Bell. If they could get 3 of those guys the team would be much better.
Agree with you at the foundation level, but my problem is that our corners are DRASTICALLY horrible. Trufant may be "shootin' the moon", but we need TWO new starters.

Rausch
02-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Agree with you at the foundation level, but my problem is that our corners are DRASTICALLY horrible. Trufant may be "shootin' the moon", but we need TWO new starters.

I'd argue for the scheme our Corners are pretty good.

And, golly gee, I'd argue our safety's suck.

And I love to say that. I think it's great we draft at least one 2 rounds above their talent level every year. Oh, every year like clockwork.

It's like our GM keeps beating his girlfriend and complaining about how she doesn't respond to him on an emotional level. "We can't draft a safety so we must draft a safety...we can't draft a safety so we must draft a safety...we ca-..."

unlurking
02-16-2008, 02:10 AM
I'd argue for the scheme our Corners are pretty good.

And, golly gee, I'd argue our safety's suck.

And I love to say that. I think it's great we draft at least one 2 rounds above their talent level every year. Oh, every year like clockwork.

It's like our GM keeps beating his girlfriend and complaining about how she doesn't respond to him on an emotional level. "We can't draft a safety so we must draft a safety...we can't draft a safety so we must draft a safety...we ca-..."
Kind of like a chicken/egg scenario to me. If our corners were any good, out safeties could play up and NOT get caught like they seem to on a regular basis.

Mecca
02-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Corners are final pieces, not starting pieces when you just went 4-12....

Rausch
02-16-2008, 02:17 AM
Kind of like a chicken/egg scenario to me. If our corners were any good, out safeties could play up and NOT get caught like they seem to on a regular basis.

Unfortunatley that's our scheme now. The deep responsiblity falls on them. You can't run a cover 2 without safeties that can read and react. They play deep and cover the deep man.

And worse yet, when the rook went bad we trotted out Wesley to try and play cover 2, when he's a born man to play an 8 front. He's physical with horrible reaction speed...