PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. Taxes.

beach tribe
02-16-2008, 09:54 PM
16,300 on my 1099.

Anybody know what they are gonna gouge me for percentage wise? A lot of my income they will never know about, but have about 31,000 documented(w-2, 1099).

Give me your guesstamets please and thank you.

Bugeater
02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
You get to make deductions.

SLAG
02-16-2008, 10:01 PM
RePost

eazyb81
02-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Stupid IRS, I despise paying taxes.

beach tribe
02-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Me too, but I'm too scared not to.

I don't want'em lookin too hard.

Lord Bestyle
02-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Been there. This was a huge shock after my first year of contract work. Figure that about 13% is going to the SSA and about 4% to Medicare in the form of self-employment tax - I'm no tax pro but if I remember right you can probably expect to pay about 25 or 30% of your 1099. Sorry, man.

Like GoBo said, find some legit deductions and take them. The real trick is to not let it happen again the next year. The IRS let me make monthly payments to get it squared up. Then I hired an accountant who made sure that didn't happen again.

Hope that helps a little bit.

beach tribe
02-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Been there. This was a huge shock after my first year of contract work. Figure that about 13% is going to the SSA and about 4% to Medicare in the form of self-employment tax - I'm no tax pro but if I remember right you can probably expect to pay about 25 or 30% of your 1099. Sorry, man.

Like GoBo said, find some legit deductions and take them. The real trick is to not let it happen again the next year. The IRS let me make monthly payments to get it squared up. Then I hired an accountant who made sure that didn't happen again.

Hope that helps a little bit.
It helps, and ouch, it hurts.
I'll get it taken care of. I'll be saying **** you and pretending to punch a man in a suit wearing an IRS name tag..........as I write a check to him for 4500 dollars.

Amnorix
02-16-2008, 11:09 PM
16,300 on my 1099.

Anybody know what they are gonna gouge me for percentage wise? A lot of my income they will never know about, but have about 31,000 documented(w-2, 1099).

Give me your guesstamets please and thank you.

Must be tough paying your fair share on what you're forced to report when you're enjoying the benefits of so much tax fraud on the rest. Good luck with that.

Valiant
02-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Must be tough paying your fair share on what you're forced to report when you're enjoying the benefits of so much tax fraud on the rest. Good luck with that.

Just think he could double dip if he was a worthless lawyer who gets to screw most people out of their money why their help does all the work for nothing..

Valiant
02-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Just think he could double dip if he was a worthless lawyer who gets to screw most people out of their money why their help does all the work for nothing..:D

Brock
02-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Figuring out ways to **** the IRS is not something to be ashamed of.

jspchief
02-17-2008, 09:43 AM
1099 misc? Will you owe self employment tax on that income? If so, probably in the neighborhood of 30% before deductions.

Find an accountant that will actually help you find deductions that you may no be considering. A good time to do this is after tax season, when they have the time and may be willing to give a little more effort to bring in some extra money.

Zebedee DuBois
02-17-2008, 12:01 PM
There is a Fair Tax movement that would replace all the payroll, fica, medicare, and capital gains taxes with a national sales tax. A tax on consumption. Huckabee was giving the idea some love. The proposed rate was 23%.

milkman
02-17-2008, 12:03 PM
There is a Fair Tax movement that would replace all the payroll, fica, medicare, and capital gains taxes with a national sales tax. A tax on consumption. Huckabee was giving the idea some love. The proposed rate was 23%.

I believe you just surpassed your monthly post allotment.

Zebedee DuBois
02-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I believe you just surpassed your monthly post allotment.

Math was never one of my strengths.

:p

Deberg_1990
02-17-2008, 12:11 PM

But yet, you will not hesitate to endulge in the benefits this great country has to offer.

milkman
02-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Math was never one of my strengths.

:p

I guess I won't be enlisting your aid in preparing my taxes then.

Zebedee DuBois
02-17-2008, 12:24 PM
I guess I won't be enlisting your aid in preparing my taxes then.

That is most likely the smartest decision you could hope to make all day.

Brock
02-17-2008, 12:27 PM
But yet, you will not hesitate to endulge in the benefits this great country has to offer.

which "benefits" are those?

milkman
02-17-2008, 12:32 PM
That is most likely the only smart decision you could hope to make all day.

FYP.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2008, 12:36 PM
which "benefits" are those?

I guess i was speaking more in broad terms.

Taxes go to pay for things like Military and the general Government infrastructure.

Where would they get the money to run those things if they didnt charge the populace?

What do you want? an Anarchy state?

Brock
02-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I guess i was speaking more in broad terms.

Taxes go to pay for things like Military and the general Government infrastructure.

Where would they get the money to run those things if they didnt charge the populace?

What do you want? an Anarchy state?

I want everybody to have to write a check at the end of the year for the income taxes they owe. No withholding. Let's see if we still think it's okay to have our income taxed. As to your other "points" if I can glorify them by calling them that, the military isn't a "benefit" nor are the layers of bureaucracy in the government that you seem to think it's our responsibility to pay for. What I want is for people like you to get a lot smarter about where your money is going.

Amnorix
02-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Figuring out ways to **** the IRS is not something to be ashamed of.

If it's legal, sure. Otherwise it just means those of us who don't cheat pay more.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I want everybody to have to write a check at the end of the year for the income taxes they owe. No withholding. Let's see if we still think it's okay to have our income taxed. As to your other "points" if I can glorify them by calling them that, the military isn't a "benefit" nor are the layers of bureaucracy in the government that you seem to think it's our responsibility to pay for. What I want is for people like you to get a lot smarter about where your money is going.

So are you in favor of not having any Government?? How do you expect to pay for it??

Amnorix
02-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Yet it is soemthing the government has that must be financed.

I have no idea if this is precisely accurate, but one anti-war organization's take:

http://www.warresisters.org/images/pieFY09.gif

A more balanced view still has military at 20% of all funding. No idea if this counts such things as veteran's assistance, and it certainly would not count service on debt that was incurred due to prior military spending:

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/95budget.gif

Also note that the 20% allocation to the military is somehwat improperly decreased as a result of having social security "on budget". Take it off-budget, as it's self-financing (at least for now), and military spending as a percentage of overall spendign would be significantly increased.

I'm not, of course, saying that all tax dollars go to the military, nor that military spending should be unilaterally cut without other government restructuring, but the miliary is one very part of the federal budget.

Mainly, however, tax laws should be obeyed. If everyone decided to actually PAY the income taxes they owe, we wouldn't run massive annual deficits, most likely.

Brock
02-17-2008, 12:55 PM
If it's legal, sure. Otherwise it just means those of us who don't cheat pay more.

No, it doesn't.

Brock
02-17-2008, 12:57 PM
So are you in favor of not having any Government?? How do you expect to pay for it??

I want as little government as is necessary. Do you think that's what we have right now?

Hydrae
02-17-2008, 01:01 PM
Yet it is soemthing the government has that must be financed.

I have no idea if this is precisely accurate, but one anti-war organization's take:

http://www.warresisters.org/images/pieFY09.gif

A more balanced view still has military at 20% of all funding. No idea if this counts such things as veteran's assistance, and it certainly would not count service on debt that was incurred due to prior military spending:

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/95budget.gif

Also note that the 20% allocation to the military is somehwat improperly decreased as a result of having social security "on budget". Take it off-budget, as it's self-financing (at least for now), and military spending as a percentage of overall spendign would be significantly increased.

I'm not, of course, saying that all tax dollars go to the military, nor that military spending should be unilaterally cut without other government restructuring, but the miliary is one very part of the federal budget.

Mainly, however, tax laws should be obeyed. If everyone decided to actually PAY the income taxes they owe, we wouldn't run massive annual deficits, most likely.

Just one other quick comment about the military spending in regards to your lovely pie charts. I would pretty much assume this does not reflect the money being spent in Afghanistan and Iraq. So neither of these reflect reality, IMO.

The one thing I will say regarding military spending, it is one area that tax protestors have no leg to stand on. While the constitutionality of the income tax is questionable (in my mind at least, the 16th amendment should never have been entertained not to mention put in place), the spending of that tax revenue on military is completely constitutional. I would argue that welfare is not covered under the constitution but military spending is fair game.

Valiant
02-17-2008, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=deberg1990]So are you in favor of not having any Government?? How do you expect to pay for it??QUOTE]

How about businesses in America pay what they are suppose to?? There was some figure done that businesses only make up 35% of the tax revenue the rest comes from the citizens...