PDA

View Full Version : New Cap info and possible cuts per KFFL

melbar
02-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Chiefs | Cutting Dunn would save team salary cap space
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:20:47 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs could reduce TE Jason Dunn's salary cap number from $1.22 million to $900,000 by releasing him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Cutting Bober would save team salary cap space
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:19:45 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs could reduce OL Chris Bober's salary cap number from $2.2 million to $425,000 by releasing him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chiefs | Cutting Kennison would save team salary cap space
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:18:15 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs could reduce WR Eddie Kennison's salary cap number from $3.9 million to $533,000 by releasing him.

Chiefs | Cutting Wesley would save team salary cap space
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:17:36 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs could reduce S Greg Wesley's salary cap number from $4.7 million to $1.7 million by releasing him.

Chiefs | Cutting Bell would save team salary cap space
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:03:22 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs could reduce LB Kendrell Bell's salary cap number from $5.2 million to $3.7 million by releasing him.

Chiefs | Team has room under salary cap
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:55:54 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs currently have salary-cap obligations of about $97.7 million for the 2008 season. The NFL has limited the salary cap to $116 million for each team for the upcoming season.

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Release Bell-Are you out of your cotton pickin fuggin mind????

He is the heart and soul of this fierce-take no prisoners-HOF defense.

melbar
02-17-2008, 01:10 AM
I know we dont want to sign a bunch of free agents, but we better re-sign Allen and make a serious run at Faneca.

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 01:15 AM
resign Allen????

He is a player at RISK-don't you listen to King Carl-he KNOWS what he is doing!!!!

Buehler445
02-17-2008, 01:15 AM
The only one of those I might disagree with is Wesley. He played pretty well last year. But if he goes, I won't be devastated.

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Herm has a plan-thats all you need to know!

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 01:16 AM
The only one of those I might disagree with is Wesley. He played pretty well last year. But if he goes, I wont be devistated.

spell check

FAX
02-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Chiefs | Cutting Bell would save team salary cap space
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:03:22 -0800

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs could reduce LB Kendrell Bell's salary cap number from $5.2 million to $3.7 million by releasing him.

I think the players would pay close to 3 million to see him wrapped in giant tortillas and drug behind a dog sled for a couple of miles over broken Boones Farm bottles.

FAX

Halfcan
02-17-2008, 01:21 AM
Tinker Bell rocks!!!!

He is everything the is RIGHT about the Chiefs!!!

milkman
02-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I know we dont want to sign a bunch of free agents, but we better re-sign Allen and make a serious run at Faneca.

We don't want to make a serious run at Faneca.

He's 31, and doesn't fit into the rebuilding plan.

Reerun_KC
02-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Nice to see tons more dead weight cut....

I wouldnt shed a tear for anyone of those guys..

ChiefGator
02-17-2008, 07:42 AM
The money saved by cutting Bober is a surprise. That's a good amount of change freed up.

I imagine they'll try to renegotiate with Wesley, Kennison.

Cap shouldn't be a problem this year.

Start paying Allen already.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-17-2008, 08:41 AM
I believe Faneca was a probowler, 31 or not he would definitely be an upgrade.

irishjayhawk
02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Is cutting Dunn worth the ~300k?

I say no. We're keeping Gonzo, we might as well keep Dunn. If protection is what keeps Brodie alive, why give up another blocker?

milkman
02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I believe Faneca was a probowler, 31 or not he would definitely be an upgrade.

There's no question he'd be an upgrade, but in rebuilding, one of the things that you want to stay away from is spending big bucks on a player in free agency.

Faneca is going to command a substantial contract relative to his position in the free agent market.

He's the kind of player you persue when you think you are a couple of players away, not in rebuilding mode.

milkman
02-17-2008, 08:52 AM

I say no. We're keeping Gonzo, we might as well keep Dunn. If protection is what keeps Brodie alive, why give up another blocker?

In Dunn's case, it's not about the money so much as it is about getting younger and finding players that can contribute in more than one phase of the game.

jspchief
02-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Cut Dunn to save a drop in the bucket? Great idea. Maybe he can go to the Vikings and make a Pro Bowl blocking for them with T-Rich while our rushing YPC continues to circle the drain.

The rest of those guys are as good as gone.

milkman
02-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Cut Dunn to save a drop in the bucket? Great idea. Maybe he can go to the Vikings and make a Pro Bowl blocking for them with T-Rich while our rushing YPC continues to circle the drain.

The rest of those guys are as good as gone.

Hypothetically, do you see Dunn, if he isn't cut now, as a contributing member of this team in 2-3 years?

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Hypothetically, do you see Dunn, if he isn't cut now, as a contributing member of this team in 2-3 years?Nobody saw T-Rich as being a contributor by this point, and the mother****er just made the Pro Bowl.

irishjayhawk
02-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Hypothetically, do you see Dunn, if he isn't cut now, as a contributing member of this team in 2-3 years?
No, but by that logic we should cut Gonzo (take the hit) and Surtain. If we're going to cut players who may not contribute in 2-3 years but can while we groom the new players just to save a drop in the bucket, it seems overboard.

milkman
02-17-2008, 09:36 AM
No, but by that logic we should cut Gonzo (take the hit) and Surtain. If we're going to cut players who may not contribute in 2-3 years but can while we groom the new players just to save a drop in the bucket, it seems overboard.

Well, if Gonzo hadn't signed a big contract just a year or so ago, I would have no problem with the idea of trading him.

jspchief
02-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Hypothetically, do you see Dunn, if he isn't cut now, as a contributing member of this team in 2-3 years?The money savings is minimal.

Unless we have someone else that can do his job as well or better in 2008, I don't see a good reason to let him go. Particularly considering he contributes to a part of the game that we are struggling in right now.

milkman
02-17-2008, 09:47 AM
The money savings is minimal.

Unless we have someone else that can do his job as well or better in 2008, I don't see a good reason to let him go. Particularly considering he contributes to a part of the game that we are struggling in right now.

I don't disagree, and since this is all speculative, I would be surprised to see Dunn actually cut this season, since the money savings is so negligible.

However, since we struggle in every phase of the game, cutting Dunn at this time makes little difference one way or the other.

Rasputin
02-17-2008, 09:47 AM
How much grief would it save us to cut Sammy Parker now?

Chiefaholic
02-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Dunn has back problems, which never go away from my own personal experience. If they can rehab him and bring him back in a limited role (perhaps goalline situations), then I'm for keeping him another year to see if he can stay healthey, However, if his back is still a problem, release him and look for a BIG blocking TE in the later rounds of the draft.

milkman
02-17-2008, 09:59 AM
How much grief would it save us to cut Sammy Parker now?

There's no question that Parker sucks, but the reality is, after Kennison is cut, Parker is, unfortunately, our second best receiver until someone else steps up, or someone is brought in.

We have a pathetic group of receivers.

J Diddy
02-17-2008, 10:00 AM

his protection was like the wind

Rasputin
Eddie should just retire, thanks Eddie you were great during the Willie Roaf Will Shields Trent Green & Priest Holmes era.

J Diddy
There's no question that Parker sucks, but the reality is, after Kennison is cut, Parker is, unfortunately, our second best receiver until someone else steps up, or someone is brought in.

We have a pathetic group of receivers.

I thought parker was an unrestricted FA

blueballs
02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Faneca has a hot head for a wife that loves
to visit the internet with her paralegal mother
=a must sign

milkman
02-17-2008, 10:09 AM
I thought parker was an unrestricted FA

He is.

Mosbonian
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
What has Dunn contributed recently? I can't think of anything measurable that he has done that he did earlier in his career.

And as for T-Rich, his Pro Bowl appearance speaks more to the capabilities of Adrian Peterson and also the dearth of good FB's this season than his skill level that would have made him valuable here. I love T-Rich and hated to see him go, but the $$'s he was wanting just didn't fit into our sad plans.

mmaddog

Brock
02-17-2008, 10:45 AM
None of those guys need to be around anymore, and quite a few more besides.

Buehler445
02-17-2008, 10:52 AM
spell check
My bad. Fixed.

The money savings is minimal.

I think we can find somebody to develop with more of an upside. I'd agree though. If we don't have that somebody, keeping him on wouldn't be all bad.

Dunn has back problems, which never go away from my own personal experience. If they can rehab him and bring him back in a limited role (perhaps goalline situations), then I'm for keeping him another year to see if he can stay healthey, However, if his back is still a problem, release him and look for a BIG blocking TE in the later rounds of the draft.

Great post. Tried to rep you but it didn't come up. Post more!

What has Dunn contributed recently? I can't think of anything measurable that he has done that he did earlier in his career.

mmaddog

I think this is the most important statement in this thread. He has been struggling mightily. Letting a lot of fellas by and holding more of them. And as Chiefaholic alluded to, he's not likely to bounce back (see K. Turley).

blueballs
02-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Old dogs keep the younger and cheaper dogs from game time learning

stonedstooge
02-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire. He really struggled through last season but of course the whole blocking scheme did. When you read his history, I think it was on here at one time, he was a hell of a tight end until injury devestated his running abilities. I think Gonzo may have even said he had better hands then he did. He adjusted to make himself a viable player during the Vermeil years.

But I think injuries and age have caught up with him now. Bring in Crumpler for his replacement. Surely as big of a man as he is he can block. Plus the advantage of another downfield threat along with Tony G., add another above average WR and we are in business.

Chiefdawn
02-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I would take Crumpler in his place. I hadn't even thought about that.

cdcox
02-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Dunn: Very affordable, unfortunately from what I saw last year he is washed up. Zero point in keeping him on the roster, because he isn't a good player anymore.

Bober: Gone

Kennison: Was injured much of last year and unimpressive when he was playing. Time to say goodbye.

Wesley: Easily one of our top two safeties. Not worth the $3M to keep him, but I would keep him if the cap room was there. He's not great but he's easily the best football player on this list.

Bell: its amazing that we still have this much cap commitment to this guy in the 4th year of his contract. Chiefs obviously did not perform due diligance in checking out his health before signing him. One of the worst contracts in Chief's history. Gun would have done better had he told the Hunt's to set fire to the money.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2008, 12:47 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. If he's able to play at the level he's been playing at, $300k isn't enough of a discount to cut him. The rest of those guys can hit the bricks. Thanks for your service Mr. Kennison, but it's time to move on. The rest of you can eat shit. You stole your money.

Mr. Laz
02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Bell still gonna cost 3.7 million after we cut him .....

what a cluster F***

Mr. Laz
02-17-2008, 12:59 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. If he's able to play at the level he's been playing at, $300k isn't enough of a discount to cut him. The rest of those guys can hit the bricks. Thanks for your service Mr. Kennison, but it's time to move on. The rest of you can eat shit. You stole your money.

they only reason to cut Dunn is if they think he's "done"

actually the only reason to cut anyone this year is if we have a younger/upgrade guy to replace them.

money isn't the problem, talent is

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I know we dont want to sign a bunch of free agents, but we better re-sign Allen and make a serious run at Faneca.The point of re-building, is to get younger. No thanks...

blueballs
02-17-2008, 06:08 PM
THey have got to find a WR in FA
Webb's just not enough and Bowe is just in his 2cnd year
can't be young in all postions - the question is who

blueballs
02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Bowe needs a nice option on the otherside
if not it could set him back
a young guy needs to know success instead of just mugging

beach tribe
02-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I'd have to say no to Faneca. love him. Think he's a great player, but haven't we done this shit enough times to know that we need to build from the ground up. He's gonna get a HUGE contract.

That cap number for hang nail Bell is disturbing.

Bowser
02-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Bell still gonna cost 3.7 million after we cut him .....

what a cluster F***

At least he made a couple of plays here and there. Carlton Gray and Victor Bailey had to do exactly jack shit to get their paychecks. Therefore, it was a positive signing. [/Rufus]

Sully
02-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I was looking at some stuff on the TE from Tennesee. Looks like a guy we could pick up late in the draft, and he's pretty big. Might be a nice replacement option for Dunn... but I don't know (seeing how I can't even remember his name).

edit: Just read some more, and the site I'm on says that despite his size (6'8", 270) he's not that great a blocker. Says he's a late round/ FA guy... but in the one game I saw him, I liked him. His name is Cottam.