PDA

View Full Version : Ok..... in laymens terms. WTF is a poison pill?

pr_capone
02-17-2008, 11:17 PM
I keep hearing about a poison pill regarding a player who is signed as a non exclusive franchise player.

I understand it is a bad thing.... but WTF is it?

Rain Man
02-17-2008, 11:23 PM
I think it's something like this: you offer a free agent a contract that includes a clause like, "We're offering you $2 million, but if your quarterback's helmet doesn't have an arrowhead on it, that offer goes up to $50 million." That way, no other team can match your offer.

DaFace
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Google around to read about the Vikings' offer to Steve Hutchinson in 2006. That's one of the ones that made the most news.

EDIT: Or just read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_pill#Sports

Mr. Kotter
02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
It's a condition/provision of the contract (by the "new" team) that the player's "old" team will have a difficult time meeting.....in effect meaning the player will leave despite the "franchise/transition" labels.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I think its a pill you can take thats Poisonous.

pr_capone
02-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Google around to read about the Vikings' offer to Steve Hutchinson in 2006. That's one of the ones that made the most news.

EDIT: Or just read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_pill#Sports

How in the hell did I miss this on Wiki?

Ok.... with that said... this poison pill BS is crap. If I were a GM, I would Poison Pill every single contract I offered to a RFA or Franchise player.

Either that or I would have some serious fun with it.

State in a contract you are pretty sure the other team would match, "we agree to pay $XX and the GM will perform "I'm a little teapot" for the team in the locker room before the first home game.

WoodDraw
02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, the most well known case was when the Vikings offered Hutchinson a contract with a clause that would make the contract guaranteed if he wasn't the highest paid lineman. The Seahawks already had a higher paid lineman and couldn't match. The Seahawks then retaliated by signing the Vikings' Burleson by offering him a contract that would become guaranteed if he played more than five home game in Minneapolis