PDA

View Full Version : Slow Search Feature

DaFace
02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Searching seems excruciatingly slow in the new software. Is that something that can be fixed, or is it just something about how the new version handles searches that we'll have to learn to live with?

irishjayhawk
02-19-2008, 09:37 PM
[quote=DaFace;4592976]Searching seems excruciatingly slow in the new software. Is that something that can be fixed, or is it just something about how the new version ha

I was about to ask the same thing. It was really fast right before the upgrade but now dreadfully slow.

Valiant
02-20-2008, 01:41 AM
[quote=DaFace;4592976]Searching seems excruciatingly slow in the new software. Is that something that can be fixed, or is it just something about how the new version ha

I was about to ask the same thing. It was really fast right before the upgrade but now dreadfully slow.

Really I thought it has always been slow..

StcChief
02-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Database 101, correct indexing of key columns will make all the difference. MySQL query optimizer? does it need to gather stats to make good choices. Sounds like a DBA is needed.

Mr. Plow
02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Searching seems excruciatingly slow in the new software. Is that something that can be fixed, or is it just something about how the new version handles searches that we'll have to learn to live with?

They are just giving you enough time to think about your search and if it's actually worth it.

DaFace
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Database 101, correct indexing of key columns will make all the difference. MySQL query optimizer? does it need to gather stats to make good choices. Sounds like a DBA is needed.

I know nothing about it, but my recent search just took 79.82 seconds.

Coach
02-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Plenty of time for you to go take a poop, and grab a beer on the way back.

StcChief
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I did a single keyword search 'Cardinals' took 81 seconds. all forums.

what version of MySQL is VBull running? I might be able to find out some thing. And which columns in tables does it use to find the 'word string'

is it exact match or does it UPPER(:yoursearchwords) and match to be case insensitive? are those columns indexed in anyway?

AustinChief
02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I haven't optimized the searches yet. Even after I do, they won't be "fast" the db is just too big.

DaFace
02-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I haven't optimized the searches yet. Even after I do, they won't be "fast" the db is just too big.

I mostly just found it interesting that they were running so quickly on the old software after you made the switch to the new server. Does this software handle searches differently or something?