PDA

View Full Version : Progress in Allen negotiations may be problem with Peterson

C-Mac
02-20-2008, 07:12 AM
Whitlock-Progress in Allen negotiations may be problem with Peterson
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/497062.html

Edwards certain Allen will play for Chiefs this season
Keeping Carl and moving forward could prove to be an impossible task for Clark Hunt, Herm Edwards and the Kansas City Chiefs.

When I ran into Allen and his agent, Ken Harris, at the Super Bowl in Phoenix, they were resigned to the fact that The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl would slap the franchise tag on Allen.

They didn’t expect the Chiefs to enter into serious negotiations with the league’s best defensive end and one of its five best defenders in 2007.

Their expectations were met on Monday when the Chiefs franchised Allen, guaranteeing Allen a 2008 salary of $8.9 million but avoiding — for now — giving him a Dwight Freeney-like contract with close to $30 million in guaranteed bonuses and salary.

To be fair, Carl Peterson previously franchised Tony Gonzalez and Will Shields, then rewarded them with long-term deals. But Gonzalez and Shields never disliked and distrusted Peterson the way Allen does.

Allen believes that Peterson broke promises made in private meetings, and that he then made matters worse by labeling Allen as “at-risk” in comments to the media.

Allen weakened his contract leverage in accumulating two drinking-and-driving arrests and a subsequent 2007 two-game suspension. Peterson’s at-risk claim insinuates that he’s a bit reluctant to give Allen a huge contract until he’s comfortable that Allen has matured. Harris counters that standard contract language for NFL players, particularly players in the league’s substance-abuse program, provides the Chiefs more than enough protection if Allen gets in more trouble.

So what is really holding up these negotiations besides The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl’s usual indecision, bully tactics and poor people skills?

It’s a lack of credibility.

When it comes to handing players large sums of guaranteed money and what those players gave the Chiefs after getting it, Peterson’s track record has been a bit shaky in recent years. Right now, the Hunts would be justified in having buyer’s remorse from Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Kendrell Bell, Patrick Surtain and Ty Law. You could make an argument to put Trent Green on the list, too. The Chiefs paid Green a lot of money for zero playoff victories.

Nope. Peterson is a brilliant bargain shopper. Take him to Wal-Mart and he’ll come home with a Willie Roaf and a before-the-big-contract Priest Holmes. But when the Hunts have loaned him a credit card and sent him to shop at Saks, Peterson usually brings back a Ty Law knockoff that looks like the real thing and plays like Carlton Gray.

Does Peterson have the necessary juice to get Allen a market-value contract?

Let’s be clear: Allen’s on-field performance in his first four years warrants a Freeney-level contract.

Even with Allen’s baggage, most NFL franchises would be negotiating passionately to retain him. Yeah, the Patriots, Colts or Giants might momentarily hit Allen with the franchise tag while they figured out how to make the numbers work beneath the cap. But they would do it in cooperation with the player.

Allen and Peterson haven’t been cooperating in more than a year. It’s not healthy. Allen is Kansas City’s best player. The Patriots don’t publicly feud with Tom Brady. Yeah, the Giants survived an offseason contract clash with Michael Strahan, an aging, fading star, and won the Super Bowl.

But Allen is in his prime, and his dispute is a continuation of a troubling pattern.

This is what’s so maddening about the Chiefs under the direction of The Artist Formerly Known as King Carl. They rarely get a major deal done without bloodshed or at least threats of bloodshed.

Good teams identify a handful of key players, peg them as franchise pillars, cultivate them as leaders, put them in the loop on the inner workings of the team and treat them relatively well at contract time. The Chiefs really haven’t had that since Marty Schottenheimer was coach and Derrick Thomas, Marcus Allen, Tim Grunhard and Dave Szott formed the foundation of the team.

I’m not sure the Chiefs can build that kind of foundation or that locker-room chemistry again with Peterson leading the charge. He doesn’t connect with players anymore. He puts too much hostility into the equation.

Good luck moving forward with Peterson hanging around Jared Allen’s neck.

jidar
02-20-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm not the automatic Carl basher that so many on this board are, but I'm afraid this article is probably right. Carl is pissing people off too much these days.

biggunns
02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
:thumb:GOOD JOB CARL YOU DA MAN....idiot........

Eleazar
02-20-2008, 08:18 AM
I thought I read where Allen said if he got the franchise tag, he wasn't going to sign a long-term deal here. It could have been just talk, but I'm pretty sure he said that somewhere.

Reerun_KC
02-20-2008, 08:20 AM
:sulk:

What is sad, we are so poorly managed and coached, we couldnt even successfully cheat our way to a super bowl victory...

Duck Dog
02-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Does this really surprise anyone? We've been watching this same routine for nearly 2 decades.

raybec 4
02-20-2008, 08:24 AM
I thought I read where Allen said if he got the franchise tag, he wasn't going to sign a long-term deal here. It could have been just talk, but I'm pretty sure he said that somewhere.

I could be wrong but I believe he said he wouldn't sign a long term deal if he had to play the season out under the franchise tag, so there is still some hope.

Eleazar
02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Does this really surprise anyone? We've been watching this same routine for nearly 2 decades.

whatever, Carl is da man, just ask findthedouchebag

StcChief
02-20-2008, 08:29 AM
How can JA go wrong 8.9M this year as Franchise tagged DE. Long term just consider this as part of the deal.... he should get good deal here Freeney like money. Clark need to ensure Carl doesn't run rough shod on this contract

The Bad Guy
02-20-2008, 08:36 AM
:sulk:

What is sad, we are so poorly managed and coached, we couldnt even successfully cheat our way to a super bowl victory...

What the **** does this have to do with the topic starter?

You get off on rants that make absolutely no ****ing sense.

ArrowheadHawk
02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Man I would be so pissed to be getting 8.9 million a year.

The Bad Guy
02-20-2008, 08:40 AM
**** off cock face!

CP is an idiot, but I wont participate in this knee-jerk reactionism that many here on the planet do.

All whitlock does is fan the flames and say what will help his best intrests (sell columns.) He has been wrong over the years as much as the chiefs orginization, and I wont overlook that (just like I wont overlook Turley's poor play last season).

Fans need to be less bipolar. We cant in the same breath demand CP to "pay" players (team priest anyone?) and then bash him in the next for signing them to longterm contracts. make up your ****ing mind.

Sorry, but you're FOS.

Whitlock has already established himself as a top nationwide journalist. He doesn't "need to sell papers" any longer. His name alone will attract readers.

Fans have every right to be critical of Carl Peterson. He makes plans on the fly and switches team philsophies immediately when it's convienent. How many GMs switch from defensive-minded, to offensive minded, and then back to defensive minded? He hires coaches based on his good ole' boy network. He never, ever thinks outside the box.

Shockingly enough, your posts sound a lot like Carl.

Reerun_KC
02-20-2008, 08:43 AM

:thumb:

phisherman
02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
How can JA go wrong 8.9M this year as Franchise tagged DE. Long term just consider this as part of the deal.... he should get good deal here Freeney like money. Clark need to ensure Carl doesn't run rough shod on this contract

pretty typical though. while the $8.9 mill figure is huge and darn good money, he doesn't get big cash up front.

that's what amazes me. these guys will play for 2-4 years on these backloaded contracts making very little yearly salary, but hey, they got there huge cash bonus at the beginning.

they don't want a steady paycheck, they want big $$$ up front because of the non-guaranteed nature of the contracts in the NFL.

Duck Dog
02-20-2008, 09:04 AM
**** off cock face!

CP is an idiot, but I wont participate in this knee-jerk reactionism that many here on the planet do.

Anyone else see the irony here? ;)

stonedstooge
02-20-2008, 09:05 AM
My guess is that King Carl is throwing a tissy fit, especially if he was stripped of some of his power as indicated in print the past months by owner Clark Hunt. How many times have you seen a person in power, when some of that power is taken away, began to sabbatoge an organization in an attempt at revenge. Does King Carl not fit that mold?

He knows he is on his way out. If Clark Hunt were to extend his contract, I will quit associating with this team completely as I believe many others will. Clark, I'm sorry your father has passed, but the ship needs someone to grab the helm and steer it and its in your hands. Grab the helm and take control of it. Each time you allow one of your "in commands" to speak, they only destroy credibilty of your team. Your head coach speaks at the level of a 4th grade elementary school kid. Your President/CEO talks about negotiations being part of the process, yet bullies up like he is in a school yard fight and does things detrimental to the team, not benefical.

Clark, your star player says publicly that his problems are specifically with one of those you have in charge. Doesn't that concern you just a tad? I don't think Jared Allen is a bullshit artist, jockeying for a better position. I think he is probably as much of a straight shooter you have on your club as there is.

But when your leader has refused to even discuss a contract with your star player something is drastically wrong. You want a winning product? I don't think your going to get it with the direction this team has taken. If you are not interested in winning and are only after the revenues, let us know so that we at least have an answer to this continual madness that seems to be happening with your team. And it is YOUR team. Your father has passed and left you in control. Be a man and take control. Don't let these two sink our beloved team. Your support and guidance is deperately needed. And if you can't do it yourself, find someone that can.

Reerun_KC
02-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Stonedstoge, very nice post...

Rep

htismaqe
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I see everybody missed Jason's point.

He basically just said that, while Jared's mistrust of Carl is an obstacle, CLARK'S mistrust of Carl is the big problem.

Reerun_KC
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I see everybody missed Jason's point.

He basically just said that, while Jared's mistrust of Carl is an obstacle, CLARK'S mistrust of Carl is the big problem.
If Clark is mistrusting Carl, then WTF is Carl still here?

Could if be that Clark likes Herm and knows that replacing Carl with a real GM, The New GM would shit can Herm's sorry ass and want to hire a real NFL coaching staff with a real NFL game plan?

Eleazar
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Since the end of the schottenheimer era, our teams have been in very good cap shape.

That's what I tell my friends who are fans of other teams, maybe teams that win super bowls or qualify for them, or at least have won a playoff game in the last 15 years.

"F*ck your trophies, what does your team's cap number look like? Yeah, that's what I thought. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it."

HypnotizedMonkey
02-20-2008, 09:56 AM
This whole situation stinks!
Just like the team I watched last year.
This is starting to look typical of the organization; bad decision making / talent scouting.

I think it's time for a paradigm shift at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

So, say we have another terrible year... does Clark Hunt have enough guts to make the change?? I don't think so.
We as Chiefs fans may be watching the longest rebuilding session an NFL team has ever had! Even if the Chiefs get to where Herm WANTS to be... KC is STILL not going to have any games "in the bag" like we did in the Vermeil Era... because this "isn't Arena League". Sure we didn't win any playoff games then either... but at least we had the POTENTIAL to. I, personally, refuse to blame our lack of success on Dick Vermeil's team... if KC had a first class front office (i.e. NE, IND) and a modern coaching philosophy, they wouldn't be stuck in this situation. Obviously, whoever is in charge *cough*, made a number of (retrospectively) bad decisions for the longevity of our team, and should be re-re-evaluated.

...But a few thoughts gleam through in my mind like a beacons of hope....

Jared Allen maturely and quietly keeps playing the brand of football he's been rocking in KC, franchise tag thoughts aside, and gets rewarded for it with a fair contract sometime this coming season.

LJ quits acting like a model, and starts acting like a football player, and maturely leads the Chiefs into the playoffs against all odds...
like the player he is paid to be.

Brodie Croyle must start playing like an NFL quarterback. I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to, and some of the blame does lie in the offensive line woes, but I did not see anything outstanding out of Brodie, other than getting 88 the ball consistently. He does get the ball to the sideline quickly... but he came in after Damon Huard, so maybe it was just my eyes playing catch-up!

Maturation is key for the Chiefs this year. Hopefully these players are going to age like a 2001 Vermeil Cabernet Sauvignon. Last season was nothing but sour grapes.

Time is nearing an end for this organization's confortable exectuive positions. SOMEBODY better start hustling or the Sea of Red will continue to evaporate into the pathetic Red Puddle I witnessed first-hand at the end of last season at Arrowhead.

The Bad Guy
02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
he has done it through fanning the flames and not coming to any type of logical conclusion. He is an entertainer.

I wish he would at least provide some insight like he does in his social columns...which are very reasonable and generally very good.

there are alot of reasons to be angry with Carl; mainly his lack of playoff success during his 19yrs. Buisness matters are generally not one of them. Since the end of the schottenheimer era, our teams have been in very good cap shape.

This proves that you can't comprehend.

I don't give a shit about business matters.
I care about constantly switching gears - going from a completely defensive minded philsophy, to an offensive, and back to a defensive.

He never, ever has balance.

That was my point.

Adept Havelock
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Since the end of the schottenheimer era, our teams have been in very good cap shape.

It's easy to be in great cap shape when you are only fielding half a team.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-20-2008, 03:56 PM
That's what I tell my friends who are fans of other teams, maybe teams that win super bowls or qualify for them, or at least have won a playoff game in the last 15 years.

"F*ck your trophies, what does your team's cap number look like? Yeah, that's what I thought. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it."

LMAO ****ing post of the year.

MOhillbilly
02-20-2008, 04:21 PM
**** off cock face!

man, youre at the wrong spot then.

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not the automatic Carl basher that so many on this board are, I am. Carl is a ****ing douchebag.

Coach
02-20-2008, 07:49 PM

Yet, I'd be pissed that the management is staying status-quo, and not even trying to improve the team.

greg63
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm not the automatic Carl basher that so many on this board are, but I'm afraid this article is probably right. Carl is pissing people off too much these days.

Carl is and idiot.

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2008, 08:03 PM
**** off cock face!

All whitlock does is fan the flames and say what will help his best intrests (sell columns.) He has been wrong over the years as much as the chiefs orginization, and I wont overlook that (just like I wont overlook Turley's poor play last season).

Fans need to be less bipolar. We cant in the same breath demand CP to "pay" players (team priest anyone?) and then bash him in the next for signing them to longterm contracts. make up your ****ing mind.Knee-jerk? 20 ****ing years and nothing to show for it.

blueballs
02-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Jared will not see any money
until Carl has had time to rub one out to each dollar bill

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Jared will not see any money
until Carl has had time to rub one out to each dollar billIts funny because its true...LMAO

Extra Point
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM

I'll drink to that!

Whitlock does fan the flames, stir the pot, and sell papers. Too bad the Star had to hire that putz. Whenever he says pay the man, remember, prices for tickets go up more than in proportion to the payroll.

Hydrae
02-20-2008, 11:35 PM
Sensationalism, that's what TWhit is best at. Look how well it worked here.

Jared needs a contract but has had a history since before we drafted him of having off field problems. Those problems are much more likely to occur during the down time of the off season. So the smart thing to do is wait until the start of camp before giving him a huge amount of money and "marry" him for the next several years. But you don't want him getting away so you throw the tag on him to keep him close and hedge your bets.

Jared has said that he won't sign a long term contract if he starts the season still under the tag contract. That should not be a problem, just get him signed early in camp. This allows him to show he can handle the off season without issues and he can then get his payday. Pretty simple and no reason for all the hand wringing.

J Diddy
02-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Yet, I'd be pissed that the management is staying status-quo, and not even trying to improve the team.

the real question is how many guys are in it for the game and how many for the check

Bump
02-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Jerad Allen is probably the first guy since Tony Gonzalez that I feel that we need to lock up for some serious $$$ and for a long time, if Carl f*cks this up I'm gonna be pissed!! Top DE's are hard to come by these days and #69 is definately one of them...also they seem to last a long time in this league (Strahan, Jason Taylor come to mind). I wouldn't be surprised if Carl thought to himself "well, he wasn't a first round pick so I'm not going to pay him what he deserves."

ChiefFan31
02-21-2008, 12:58 AM

I never used to, but I have truly had it with Carl. God, he needs to go.

Thread title reads - Allen deal, negotiations may be a problem with Peterson.

Gee, what a shocker. I mean we do need to get the best beal for us and him, but good god I am sick of CP.

Rausch
02-21-2008, 01:04 AM
I never used to, but I have truly had it with Carl. God, he needs to go.

Thread title reads - Allen deal, negotiations may be a problem with Peterson.

Gee, what a shocker. I mean we do need to get the best beal for us and him, but good god I am sick of CP.

It's an easy call for JWhit.

Carl has managed to milk drama out of every (at the time) easy and earned mega-signing he's done. Priest had earned it, Gonzo earned it, Shields, LJ, etc. Guys that earned their way and deserved their pay but only got it after some lowballing and bad blood.