PDA

View Full Version : Join the club for pricey Chiefs seats

Eleazar
02-20-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/columnists/hearne_christopher_jr/story/491826.html

Oh, baby, what a play!

The Chiefs sent out nine-page, three-year contracts to some season ticket holders, complete with five pages of fine-print legalese and prices eventually doubling that of this season.

It doesn’t surprise Ticket Solutions’ owner Russ Lindmark.

“Unless they’re economic prognosticators, it seems to be outpacing inflation a little bit,” Lindmark says. “Either they’ve been undervaluing those tickets for a long time, or they want to put them in the hands of corporate Kansas City, because realistically individuals are going to have a hard time paying those prices.”

Under the terms of the contract, premium club-level “sideline select” season tickets priced at $1,100 each this year jump to $1,490 in 2009 (up 35 percent), then to $2,550 in 2010 and $2,700 in 2011.

The portion of the new ticket terms that brokers and fans alike may find particularly galling: a “non-transferability” clause.

“Except as expressly permitted by these terms and conditions, under no circumstances shall (ticket holder) sell, barter, exchange, transfer for consideration, or raffle off club seats to games or stadium events or use club seat tickets for any promotional or commercial purpose without prior written approval of (the Chiefs); provided, however, that (the ticket holder) is free to sell club seat tickets via TeamExchange and TicketExchange on www.kcchiefs.com or www.ticketmaster.com.”

Translation: It would appear that the Chiefs want to play Monopoly with choice seats.

“They don’t mind the resale, as long as they get to share in the profits,” Lindmark says. “That’s fine, but open it up to the free market. They have a rule on their TicketExchange that you can only sell tickets at or above face value. You can’t sell them for less than that. But the market value may very well be below face value.”

Lindmark’s hunch as to why the Chiefs might want to force season ticket holders to eat tickets for games they can’t attend but may be unsalable at face value?

“Because it would undermine their ticket sales at the box office,” Lindmark contends. “They want to protect the tickets they have remaining to sell. What they don’t want is their TicketExchange full of tickets for sale at half of what they’re asking at the box office. They want to have their cake and eat it, too.”

Kansas City Chiefs senior vice president Bill Newman has another take:

“He wants his cake and he wants to eat it, too,” Newman counters. “He’s the one who wants to dine out at our expense.”

The ticket contract applies only to 9 percent of the stadium, leaving the other 91 to do as they please (within reason) with their tickets, Newman says.

The Chiefs want to protect the sanctity and the value of club-level seats, in part because of the amenities that are being added, premium prices are paid, and there is a waiting list for those tickets.

MIAdragon
02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
http://www.snapoffracing.com/forums/images/smilies/sexsmilies/idb8.gif. That is all.

Chiefnj2
02-20-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm surprised they don't include a paragraph about prohibitted activities at your seat - no booing, no using the King's name in vain, no paper bags over your head.

Eleazar
02-20-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm surprised they don't include a paragraph about prohibitted activities at your seat - no booing, no using the King's name in vain, no paper bags over your head.

The proudest boast: "Ich bin ein Clubleveler"

Bearcat
02-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Holy crap, $300 a ticket, and they'll still leave half way through the 3rd quarter.

Duck Dog
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Holy crap, I can't believe the King has the nerve to charge that much for such a crappy service.

Brock
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
No replica jerseys allowed.

Eleazar
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I wonder how long until they do this to the lower level and everyone else.

Bowser
02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I wonder how long until they do this to the lower level and everyone else.

Probably as soon as they see themselves still making money on the club level.

Dylan
02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
lol... The man has no shame!

3-year contracts?

Crazy Carl 1 - 31 other teams 0

{{{Crazy Carl}}} "I'll fix all those rat bastages! The nerve of them makin' a big stink on whether they'll show up for a game or not! CONTRACTS! That's what I'll sell! That's right. ... Not added Value Packages. Just impossible to break Contracts... that'll leave a mark!" {{{Crazy Carl}}}

Bearcat
02-20-2008, 01:58 PM
They want to have their cake and eat it, too.

"We're raising prices because when we're good, you could find people willing to pay 3x face value. We're also throwing in a no-resale clause, because when we suck, you could find people to buy your tickets for $20, but we still want to fill up the seats at face value.

Some companies will give you a discount for signing a long-term contract; but here at 1 Arrowhead Drive, your loyalty is worthless. You have money, we have pockets."

StcChief
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
"We're raising prices because when we're good, you could find people willing to pay 3x face value. We're also throwing in a no-resale clause, because when we suck, you could find people to buy your tickets for $20, but we still want to fill up the seats at face value.

Some companies will give you a discount for signing a long-term contract; but here at 1 Arrowhead Drive, your loyalty is worthless. You have money, we have pockets."so if you "NO SHOW" HOW DO THEY SELL YOUR SEATS? OR KNOW if they were sold at or above/below face value?

MIAdragon
02-20-2008, 03:21 PM
http://img2.putfile.com/main/2/5016201179.jpg

Bearcat
02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
so if you "NO SHOW" HOW DO THEY SELL YOUR SEATS? OR KNOW if they were sold at or above/below face value?

That should have read because when we suck, you could find people to buy your tickets for $20, but we still want to fill up unsold seats at face value.

They would rather you buy an unsold ticket from the Chiefs at face value than an already sold ticket from a ticket holder. They don't care if you resell your ticket, as long as it doesn't interfere with the Chiefs selling the remaining tickets. The "under no circumstances shall (ticket holder) sell... without prior written approval of (the Chiefs)" would come into play when the Chiefs could tell you "we've made as much money as possible for the upcoming game, so now you can sell your tickets for whatever price you can get".

kc rush
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
My guess is that they will have someone monitor ebay, craigslist, stub hub and other broker sites/locales to see who is in violation of their contract. The STH will probably lose their rights and have to pay a fine.

Joe Seahawk
02-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, I just found out that my club seats at Qwest went up from $135 to $150

That sucks, but I'm not terribly suprised considering the demand up here right now.

At least I don't have to sign a frikkin contract...

Btw, my seats were $110 when I first purchased them in '03

It seems crazy to me what the Chiefs are doing to their club seat holders. there must still be quite a demand there.

Rausch
02-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Worst stadium in the league to argue that you need to pay the extra dollar to enjoy the event.

Rausch
02-21-2008, 01:09 AM
It seems crazy to me what the Chiefs are doing to their club seat holders. there must still be quite a demand there.

Not so much, which is why it's shocking...

HMc
02-21-2008, 03:33 AM
My guess is that they will have someone monitor ebay, craigslist, stub hub and other broker sites/locales to see who is in violation of their contract. The STH will probably lose their rights and have to pay a fine.

Pay a fine? Good luck enforcing THAT contract.

The simple way around this is to mention the Bay only, rather than which seats they are. They can't ban the whole bay.

ChiefsCountry
02-21-2008, 03:50 AM
Actually club seats are really high in demand. They are used as tax write offs for businesses.