PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport?

penguinz
02-25-2008, 07:14 AM
I am considering getting one of these. Any of you guys have experience with them? What do I need to look for or expect?

Thanks.

thehead
02-25-2008, 08:00 AM
I have 2004 4x4 Grand Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 . I like it gas mileage could be a little better 17 city hwy 21 but hay it's a 4x4 , all in all nice solid product

Radar Chief
02-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Cherokee Sport? Good rig.
Just do the usual stuff. Walk around, shake the body, tires, look for puddles developing under it.
Only two complaints I’ve read with any consistency are first the crank sensor can go out which will cause the engine to die or not start for you, since it’s a crank trigger CD type ignition.
Second is no one likes the Dana 35 rear axle. It’s good enough for street and mild off roading with stock size tires but if you gave it some lift and bigger than stock tires, you’d be stressing that little axle.

bsp4444
02-25-2008, 08:28 AM
I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I loved it. The only reason I got rid of it was because I needed a truck to haul feed in so I traded it for a Dodge Dakota sport with the double cab. The Jeep was a lot of fun and roomy and I never had any mechanical issues with it in two years.

Archie F. Swin
02-25-2008, 08:50 AM
That AMC straight six is one of the better American engines. Its pretty common for owners to get at least 200,000 miles out of them, plus they're easy to maintain and parts are affordable. As with any Jeep, there is a chance that suspension parts have been modified or replaced. Its common for Jeepers to add skid plates, replace shocks, axles, gears, control arms and, of course, wheels and tires. Some modifications will make the rig more trail friendly and make it less highway friendly. If you do a lot of highway driving...big tires and re-gearing can have less than desirable effect on gas mileage.

Check out the Cherokee forums at www.jeepsunlimited.com and see what people are talking about.

I had a '94 with relatively low miles. I replaced a radiator, two starters and the aforementioned crankshaft position sensor. Look at the wikipedia entry on Cherokee. Its basically the grandfather of all unibody SUVs on the market today.

gblowfish
02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I've had Grand Cherokees for 15 years. Had a 1993 and now have a 2002. Both of mine have had the 4.0 liter straight 6 engine. Very reliable power plant. Gas mileage is not real good, but I've NEVER been stuck in the snow. Jeeps are usually hard on brakes, radiators and batteries. All in all, I've been happy driving Jeeps.

Archie F. Swin
02-25-2008, 09:09 AM
One thing I forgot to mention....if you're going get a Cherokee, get a 4x4...otherwise they dont do well on poor road conditions....wet, snowy, icy roads

penguinz
02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
One thing I forgot to mention....if you're going get a Cherokee, get a 4x4...otherwise they dont do well on poor road conditions....wet, snowy, icy roads
The ones I have looked at are 4x4. No way in hell I would spend money on a Jeep if it wasn't.

Eleazar
02-25-2008, 10:08 AM
I have 2004 4x4 Grand Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 . I like it gas mileage could be a little better 17 city hwy 21 but hay it's a 4x4 , all in all nice solid product

same. like it... good utility, good handling in winter, got it with 30k on the clock for less than you would pay for a base model crappy econo-box car. I don't know why anyone buys new.

winter performance is pretty good with the AWD function in use, but I noticed when I upgraded the tires this winter it increased significantly again. put some nice wet/snow tires on it and it's solid as a rock.

chasedude
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
same. like it... good utility, good handling in winter, got it with 30k on the clock for less than you would pay for a base model crappy econo-box car. I don't know why anyone buys new.

winter performance is pretty good with the AWD function in use, but I noticed when I upgraded the tires this winter it increased significantly again. put some nice wet/snow tires on it and it's solid as a rock.

Someone has to in order for you to buy used :D

CoMoChief
02-25-2008, 12:17 PM
I had a 1999 Sport and currently drive a 2001 Sport. None of the veh have ever had troubles with me other than the a/c and heater. Great towing veh. Not too bad of a gas hog I guess.

DenverChief
02-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I have a 2000 Sport 4.0 that I Bought back in August and I love it no problems whatsoever

blaise
02-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Just for the record- it does make sense to buy new sometimes depending on the interest rates you'd get on a new vs. used vehicle. If you're getting a very low rate on a new vehicle your monthly payments and total payments could be lower than a used vehicle with a higher rate (assuming you're financing). Plus you'll have a longer warranty period and less mileage on the vehicle at purchase.

penguinz
02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I bought this vehicle last night. It is in near perfect condition!

http://www.0x53.com/node/5

penguinz
03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Second is no one likes the Dana 35 rear axle. It’s good enough for street and mild off roading with stock size tires but if you gave it some lift and bigger than stock tires, you’d be stressing that little axle.The one I picked up has a Chrysler 8.25 axle. :p

Radar Chief
03-14-2008, 12:49 PM
The one I picked up has a Chrysler 8.25 axle. :p

Good, but are you sure its Chrysler or is it AAM (American Axle Manufacturer)? IIRC, that 8.25 means the ring gear diameter is 8 ¼” diameter, which is bigger than the Dana 35’s 7 ½” ring gear and in this area bigger is better.
You scored on the axles then. :thumb:

penguinz
03-14-2008, 01:00 PM
It is the Chrysler.

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Here is a pick of what it looks like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Jeep_Liberty_Rear_Diff_8.25_2005.jpg

Radar Chief
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
It is the Chrysler.

Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01

Here is a pick of what it looks like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/12/Jeep_Liberty_Rear_Diff_8.25_2005.jpg

Ok. Is it c-clipped or captured bearing?
The c-clip design is part of the issue with the Dana 35, and the Corporate 10 bolt used in Chevy’s.

HemiEd
03-14-2008, 03:38 PM
The c-clip design is part of the issue with the Dana 35, and the Corporate 10 bolt used in Chevy’s.

The 8 1/4 is a solid piece, Chrysler used it for many years. I have an 8 1/4 in my Dakota, they are pretty strong. They replaced their 8 3/4 with it in the passenger cars. I came real close to putting one in the Cuda, due to problems finding the 8 3/4. But I finally located one.

DenverChief
03-14-2008, 05:25 PM
I bought this vehicle last night. It is in near perfect condition!

http://www.0x53.com/node/5

Awesome! that is a sweet looking rig I have on that is the dark silver color and love it.....the only issue I have and it is slightly annoying but after bought the vehicle there is a vibration on the underside that "moves" (never on the same trip one time it will be the transmission vibrating and the next time I get in it will be the rear end, I'm thinking possibly the exhaust) from the transfer case/transmission area to the rear of the vehicle and generally only when it is obnoxiously cold outside....

penguinz
03-14-2008, 05:40 PM
It is c-clipped.