PDA

View Full Version : Jucco guard commits to KU

Mr. Laz
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Posted on Mon, Feb. 25, 2008 10:15 PM

Junior-college point guard Appleton commits to KU

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

The Kansas City Star

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <script language="Javascript"> function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); } </script> <!-- photo or image available --> <!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp --> http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/02/25/23/232-appleton_mug_02-26-2008_K411GBPK.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2008/02/25/23/846-appleton_mug_02-26-2008_K411GBPK.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg)
Appleton
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --> <!-- /mi/pubsys/story/asset_list, include_asset_type=>"factbox" -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --> <table> </table> LAWRENCE | Tyrone Appleton had already visited Kansas once, but he wanted to see a game at Allen Fieldhouse before making his final decision. It just so happened that Appleton, a junior-college point guard, was in the house for KU’s 110-year celebration on Feb. 16.

“It was a great atmosphere,” Appleton said. “That’s what I came to see. It was great seeing all the NBA players and coaches like Larry Brown.”

Brown, of course, coached KU to its last national championship in 1988. And Appleton led his Midland (Texas) College squad to the 2007 NJCAA national title last season as a freshman. It all just made too much sense. On Monday, Appleton made his intention to play for Kansas official when he gave the Jayhawks an oral commitment.

“I want to help Kansas win another national championship,” said Appleton, who will have two years of eligibility remaining. “My biggest strengths are playing hard and competing, defense, whatever it takes to win.”

Appleton is ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 3 overall juco prospect in the 2008 class. He will join Chipola (Fla.) small forward Mario Little, the No. 1 overall juco prospect, as a critical two-year signee for Kansas, which will be replacing five seniors and possibly a few underclassmen this offseason. Appleton chose KU over Kentucky, Iowa State and Texas in becoming the Jayhawks’ sixth commitment.

A native of Gary, Ind., Appleton committed to Virginia Tech out of high school but failed to qualify academically. He led Midland to that national championship win over Little’s Chipola team in only his first year playing the point. Little was glad to know that Appleton had committed to Kansas.

“I didn’t even know Kansas was looking at him,” Little said. “I know he’s good. He’s a strong guard, and I know he can shoot it a little bit.”

At 6 feet 3 and 190 pounds, Appleton is known for his defense. He said KU has told him that he will play the point.

“This is the greatest feeling,” Appleton said, “knowing that I’m going to a winning program. I can’t wait.”
<hr class="infobox-hr-separator"> KU in a zone?
The looks on the Kansas players’ faces when told that coach Bill Self was considering playing more zone defense said it all. Sure, opposing guards have been having their way with the Jayhawks lately, but a zone?

“I don’t think we have to,” KU guard Russell Robinson said.

Sherron Collins said, “We aren’t too familiar with playing zone, but hopefully we get our heads right and just come out and guard so we don’t have to play zone.”
Other than allowing opposing guards to penetrate, foul trouble has been the other defensive concern. Self said he didn’t plan on changing KU’s defensive strategy of big men hedging on ball screens to protect the foul-prone Darrell Arthur.

“You’d have to change exactly how you play,” Self said, “and we’re not going to do that.”

•Self said Collins, who is playing with a bruised knee, didn’t need rest at this point in the season.

“His timing is off enough now that resting probably wouldn’t help him much,” Self said.

•In ESPN.com’s latest “Bracketology,” Texas supplanted Kansas as a No. 1 seed. The Jayhawks are projected as the No. 2 in the Houston region with Memphis as the No. 1.

To reach J. Brady McCollough, e-mail jmccollough@kcstar.com | J. Brady McCollough, jmccollough@kcstar.com

Mr. Plow
02-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I guess I haven't been paying attention to recruiting much. I didn't know we already had the #1 Juco prospect as well.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I guess I haven't been paying attention to recruiting much. I didn't know we already had the #1 Juco prospect as well.

in football (RB)

Reerun_KC
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Very nice land, We are going to need those type of players with this team being raped at the end of the season, We are getting ready to lose at least 7 players from this squad....

That is a major huge turnover...

Mr. Laz
02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Very nice land, We are going to need those type of players with this team being raped at the end of the season, We are getting ready to lose at least 7 players from this squad....

That is a major huge turnover...
i'm more than a little disappointed that we have to go to Jucco players.

recruiting is what Self does well .......

as far as i can tell, Bill Self couldn't outcoach a chimp with Alzheimer's.

if he loses recruiting, then we're in trouble.

schneider221
02-26-2008, 11:04 AM
almost anyone is going to have to pick up a few juco's along the way with how uneven the classes have gotten. we had to many transfers and now soon to be early leavers that the classes would be even more uneven.

the 09 class seems to be loaded so balancing out the roster with a few 2 year players is something that is ok, as long as it doesn't turn into a yearly thing.

Silock
02-26-2008, 11:58 AM

It's just for next year. There are a ton of recruits coming in the year after next.

Reerun_KC
02-26-2008, 12:03 PM

I agree, but it will come back around, next year isnt going to be a promising as this one should be, but the 09 class will give us a much needed spark.

Our 08 class is still pretty strong, we only have 2 juco players coming in.

Malcor
02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
in football (RB)
KU signee Mario Little of Chipola (Fla.) CC is No. 1.

PHOG
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM

That's how I read it too, Mario Little, small forward.

CoMoChief
02-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Self is an idiot. Wtf is KU gonna play zone? Maybe if Self would coach players to get around picks the penetration from opposing guards wouldnt be a problem like it has been the past month or so.

irishjayhawk
02-26-2008, 12:46 PM
Self is an idiot. Wtf is KU gonna play zone? Maybe if Self would coach players to get around picks the penetration from opposing guards wouldnt be a problem like it has been the past month or so.

It's not even that we have to play zone because it works. It's more because playing zone baffles the other team. A one or two possession befuddlement can go a long way.

Mr. Plow
02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
in football (RB)

Appleton is ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 3 overall juco prospect in the 2008 class. He will join Chipola (Fla.) small forward Mario Little, the No. 1 overall juco prospect,

I did notice the RB though as well when I went and started looking around.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2008, 12:55 PM
my bad .... i knew that Little was coming too.

just missed the #1 part

duncan_idaho
02-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I realize Little is the No. 1 JUCO player, but the fact he goes to Chipola would give me the heebie-jeebies if I was a kU fan.

That’s where Stefon Hannah went… he’s one of four Chipola alums to get kicked off his D-1 team in the past few years (Mike Taylor at ISU was another).

Oh, and I'd agree with Laz's assessment of Self on game day.

Why does he keep running plays to get Rush shots at the end of games? It's baffling...

Simply Red
02-26-2008, 04:07 PM
who cares?:p

Ceej
02-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm still thinking of a legitimate excuse why we lost to OSU.

Uhhhh..hmmm, we didn't have a healthy Sherron Collins?!

schneider221
02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm still thinking of a legitimate excuse why we lost to OSU.

Uhhhh..hmmm, we didn't have a healthy Sherron Collins?!

having a player lose a cousin to murder and another player losing their brother to another murder 1 day before the game has got to make them lose a bit of focus

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Jeff Graves was important for KU's champ.game run.

I don't see any offensive stats. KU isn't the best scoring team right now.

Wouldn't you want a guard that could also shoot?

Skip Towne
02-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Juco players have been rare around AFH IIRC. I can't recall any. Lester Earl, Jerrod Haas and that dude from Texas were transfers but not Juco.

Ceej
02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Juco players have been rare around AFH IIRC. I can't recall any. Lester Earl, Jerrod Haas and that dude from Texas were transfers but not Juco.

Luke Axtell, lol.

BWillie
02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
While we are piling up JUCO's and the Travis Relaford's and Tyrel Reed's of the world, UNC has about 10 five star recruits coming to town in the next two years. I don't know how much stock to put into the recruiting services or not, but we are losing out on some major players in a game where the top 10 out of high school have to go to college now.

Personally I think Relaford and Reed will be great 4 year players and first team big 12 players someday but I'd really like to see us get a top 5 talent such as a Beasley or Durant someday.

schneider221
02-27-2008, 12:16 AM
While we are piling up JUCO's and the Travis Relaford's and Tyrel Reed's of the world, UNC has about 10 five star recruits coming to town in the next two years. I don't know how much stock to put into the recruiting services or not, but we are losing out on some major players in a game where the top 10 out of high school have to go to college now.

Personally I think Relaford and Reed will be great 4 year players and first team big 12 players someday but I'd really like to see us get a top 5 talent such as a Beasley or Durant someday.

while you have a point you must look at the big picture... what top 5 recruit is going to come in with a core of rush, collins, chalmers, arthur. if self doesn't land a few studs in 09 and 10 then i will be worried.

the kid that we should get is xavier henry who's dad played for ku and brother committed to ku a few years ago only to be drafted by the yankees. rumors are swirling that because older henry's baseball career did not pan out ku could land both of them, but memphis is in there to bc of the relationship with calapari and their dad.

edit to add that he is considered the best or atleast top 3 kid in 09