PDA

View Full Version : Rumor breeding ground

Wile_E_Coyote
02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Bengals will have to move up for OSU's Gholston

COMMENT: Do you think the Bengals should go after Vernon Gholston? (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/02/26/ddn022608bigc.html#comments)

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/02/26/ddn022608bigc.html

<!-- newsworthy --><!--endtext--><SCRIPT src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/js/NewsworthyAudioC2L.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/newsworthy/sharedoh/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/02/26/sharedoh_oh_story_sports_pro_bengals_2008_02_26_ddn022608bigc.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
<!--begintext--><!-- http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/newsworthy/sharedoh/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2008/02/26/sharedoh_oh_story_sports_pro_bengals_2008_02_26_ddn022608bigc.mp3 -->
By Carlos "Big C" Holmes
Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

After a stellar playing career at Ohio State followed by a tremendous workout performance at the Combine, Buckeyes' DE Vernon Gholston has elevated his draft status from a potential Top 10 to a Top 5 pick.

The 6-foot-4 266-pound freak of nature wowed NFL scouts with his speed, strength, agility and athletic ability during drills at the Combine. Gholston is one imposing figure and a master of destruction on the playing field going from 0 to 60 in a millisecond to get all up in the quarterback's grill.

<!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->The sack master posted 22.5 sacks in his last two seasons with the Buckeyes.

I had a few scouts tell me that Gholston was the man to see in Indy and that was before his workout. They referred to him as the most intriguing prospect entering the draft.

Smith might go

With the Cincinnati Bengals slapping the franchise tag on OG Stacy Andrews that leaves the door open for veteran DE Justin Smith to pound the pavement and test the waters of free agency. Should Smith find greener pastures outside the 'Nati this would create an immediate void at the defensive end position on defense.

The consensus of Cincinnati Bengal fans that I have talked to would love to see the team select Gholston with their first pick in the upcoming draft.

The Bengals currently own the No. 9 selection in this year's draft, but would definitely have to move up the board if they are to have any shot at nabbing Gholston.

There are at least two teams picking in the Top 5 that could be potential trade partners for the Bengals. That would be the Atlanta Falcons with the No. 3 pick and Kansas City Chiefs with the No. 5 pick. The Bengals organization may have a better chance of convincing the Chiefs' Powers
That Be to swap places due to the close relationship that Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards share.

The Bengals could take their chances and stand pat, but there is no guarantee that the fierce pass-rusher would be available at No. 9.

A versatile player

There is no question that the Bengals could use a player on defense with the versatility of Gholston.

He was recruited to Ohio State as a linebacker and made the switch to end once he arrived in Columbus. So playing linebacker would be a familiar role if the team felt a need to make a switch.

According to agent Ben Dogra, Gholston would excel in any type of defense.

"It's a little early to speculate but we believe that Vernon has the ability to play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defense. He has a lot of versatility," Dogra said.

"We think he has the ability to be a strong end in a 4-3 defense and the ability to drop back in the 3-4. I think he's very unique from that perspective because there are very few players who have that combination of strength and speed. That's not a very easy thing to find, and because of that he offers that type of flexibility to a team running either defense. That's what sets him apart from the other guys."

No preference

As for Gholston, he doesn't have a preference to the type of defense he could end up playing and welcomes the challenge of the unknown.
"
When I was at Ohio State I predominately had my hands down in the dirt," Gholston said. "But 30 or 40 percent of the time I was in a standup alignment so there really is no preference for me. I think that is one of the big things I bring to the table. With me it's all about taking advantage of that. Whatever a team wants me to do whether it is standup or play down in games. I'm able and willing to do that."

How does Gholston see himself? Pretty much like all the scouts.

"Outside looking in, I see a guy who really has no limits," he said. We can put him anywhere on the field and he is going to make plays. We can do so many different things with him and not be a liability."

Gholston said the constant growth of getting better is there and that he has only scratched the surface of where he wants to take his game.

Big C's Scouting Report:

Gholston is an explosive player with tremendous upside. He's very strong and versatile with a non-stop motor. He's a disruptive player capable of wreaking havoc on every down.

Gholston is a gifted athlete with good study habits and is highly intelligent. He has outstanding quickness and is not one dimensional.

Teams have seen Gholston play defensive end, but want to see him do all the drops from a standup position. Gholston weighs 266 pounds and could carry 270 pounds on his granite frame which would be an ideal weight for a pass-rusher in the pros. It is believed that Gholston could carry that weight and still have one of the quickest first steps off the edge.

CosmicPal
02-26-2008, 11:37 AM
I would do that.

So, we would get their 9th pick in the first round and their 3rd and 4th round picks?

350 pts to move up to the 5th spot, and their 3rd and 4th rounders = 330 pts

Bowser
02-26-2008, 11:39 AM
We could get teh Aqib Talib!

cdcox
02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
I heard the Chiefs are going to draft Gholston to be a back up.

StcChief
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Chiefs = More picks the better since we blow half them anyway

Bowser
02-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I heard the Chiefs are going to draft Gholston to be a back up.

As long as we bring back Eric Hicks, I'm good with this.

bkkcoh
02-26-2008, 11:49 AM
We could get teh Aqib Talib!

I hear he is fast!!! Let's go for it.

Bowser
02-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I hear he is fast!!! Let's go for it.

Damned fast. A burner, even!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ek0ANQ8bRfo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ek0ANQ8bRfo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Bad Guy
02-26-2008, 11:54 AM
This draft isn't rich with top-tier talent.

I'm not moving down 4 spots in this draft.

CosmicPal
02-26-2008, 12:01 PM
I've checked with the draft value chart and for Cincy to move up to the 5th pick would actually cost them yet another pick.

They have the 14th pick in the 3rd round = 200 pts
They have the 13th pick in the 4th round = 109 pts

The value to move up from the 9th to the 5th pick in the 1st round = 350 pts.

Their 3rd and 4th rounders only equate to 309 pts.

Therefore, we would get their 5th round pick as well, which equals 36.50 pts.

However, we currently have the 1st and 5th pick in the 5th round, and I doubt Cincy will want to part with 3 picks in the same draft, so it would be likely we would instead get their 5th rounder in the 2009 draft.

OR....

We could do this: Trade down to their 9th spot and pick up their 2nd round pick, the 45th pick overall = 440 pts.

We would have the 9th pick in the first round, and the 4th and 15th pick in the 2nd round.

We then give them our two 5th round picks = 82.5 pts

el borracho
02-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I would do that.

So, we would get their 9th pick in the first round and their 3rd and 4th round picks?

350 pts to move up to the 5th spot, and their 3rd and 4th rounders = 330 pts

Why would I accept less value in trade to do the Bengals a favor? The only offer I accept to move out of the top 5 is a completely one-sided offer where I virtually rape the other team on value. I would rather take Gholston myself than give him to the Bengals for less than fair value in trade.

By the way, why do people think we need more picks in this draft? We already have 10 picks in this draft. If we trade down we should ask for picks in 2009, not 2008.

plbrdude
02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
personally i think the bengals should move out of cincinnati and change their name and become a real football team. forget movin up in the draft.

htismaqe
02-26-2008, 12:37 PM
This draft isn't rich with top-tier talent.

I'm not moving down 4 spots in this draft.

Exactly.

Mr. Plow
02-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Why would I accept less value in trade to do the Bengals a favor?

The Bengals organization may have a better chance of convincing the Chiefs' Powers That Be to swap places due to the close relationship that Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards share.

Because they're "friends"?

CosmicPal
02-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Why would I accept less value in trade to do the Bengals a favor? The only offer I accept to move out of the top 5 is a completely one-sided offer where I virtually rape the other team on value.

By the way, why do people think we need more picks in this draft? We already have 10 picks in this draft. If we trade down we should ask for picks in 2009, not 2008.

Did you even bother to read post #10? Apparently not. The true value as emphasized in post #10 would be for the Bengals to give us 3 draft picks just to move up to the 5th spot. That translates to 3 players for 1. I don't see that happening.

Second of all, this team needs a complete overall, but more importantly, it also needs depth in a lot of positions. Get more picks? Hell yes! Grab an extra one or two this year, and another one for next year's draft? I'd do it in a heartbeat. Particularly, if I'm only moving down four spots in the draft!

This draft is loaded with talent on the line and defensive backs. There's never been a better time for us to fill our needs than this draft. There are plenty of talent to be found in the mid-rounds.

CupidStunt
02-26-2008, 12:56 PM
I'd be okay with moving to No. 9, but it'll take two things: (1) Ellis, a healthy Dorsey, Jake Long and Matt Ryan going 1-4, and (2) a heck of a lot more in return than second day picks, i.e. second-rounders or future first-rounders and then some.

chagrin
02-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I've checked with the draft value chart and for Cincy to move up to the 5th pick would actually cost them yet another pick.

They have the 14th pick in the 3rd round = 200 pts
They have the 13th pick in the 4th round = 109 pts

The value to move up from the 9th to the 5th pick in the 1st round = 350 pts.

Their 3rd and 4th rounders only equate to 309 pts.

Therefore, we would get their 5th round pick as well, which equals 36.50 pts.

However, we currently have the 1st and 5th pick in the 5th round, and I doubt Cincy will want to part with 3 picks in the same draft, so it would be likely we would instead get their 5th rounder in the 2009 draft.

OR....

We could do this: Trade down to their 9th spot and pick up their 2nd round pick, the 45th pick overall = 440 pts.

We would have the 9th pick in the first round, and the 4th and 15th pick in the 2nd round.

We then give them our two 5th round picks = 82.5 pts

Who cares about the point value? Seriously, why does this even matter unless you're talking no real draft talent?
Moving us down to #9 is silly, totally silly.

el borracho
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Did you even bother to read post #10?

I did read it- my response is the same: I wouldn't trade out of the top 5 unless I am raping the other team. Even in your third trade scenario you are suggesting a point difference of only 90 points in our favor; 90 points is not enough to drop out of the top 5, IMO. This is one scenario where I hope Carl is "one tough SOB negotiator."

the Talking Can
02-26-2008, 01:20 PM
we're going to pass on ghoulston and maybe ellis for an extra pick?

wow

good grief wow....

Sure-Oz
02-26-2008, 01:48 PM
no trading down, that would be so stupid, id want ellis, dorsey or ghoulston

xbarretx
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Damned fast. A burner, even!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ek0ANQ8bRfo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ek0ANQ8bRfo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hey now id love for us to get Nelson! i just hope the floaters about him being looked at by KC turn out to be true. him lining up with bowe would be SWEET!

xbarretx
02-26-2008, 02:41 PM
no trading down, that would be so stupid, id want ellis, dorsey or ghoulston

QFT ESPECIALLY is Long isnt there.

p.s. check your ps3 thread. i posted info on how to swap the HDD ;)

The Franchise
02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
No thanks. If the Bengals wanted Gholston....they should have sucked as much as us.

raybec 4
02-26-2008, 03:28 PM
No thanks. If the Bengals wanted Gholston....they should have sucked as much as us.

That's exactly right if the team doesn't get rewarded for losing 9 in a row with a top 5 pick than what's the incentive to suck ass in '08